Rob Quinn: Why Bills Signing DT Star Lotulelei Would Be an Epic Mistake

26CornerBlitz

NFL free agency: Why Bills signing DT Star Lotulelei would be an epic mistake

There’s been a lot of speculation regarding Buffalo potentially signing Carolina Panthers nose tackle Star Lotulelei. Sure, he was a starter in Sean McDermott’s defense. But after a stellar rookie season, Lotulelei has seen his play decline drastically while his linemate, Kawann Short, dominated and earned a big contract.

As a rookie, Lotulelei looked like a gem, recording 42 tackles, three sacks, nine tackles for loss and four quarterback hits. He generated 24 quarterback pressures and registered a staggering 37 run stops, per Pro Football Focus.

However, in the last three seasons combined, he’s recorded 73 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks and 12 quarterback hits. He registered 54 pressures and made only 32 run stops – five fewer than his rookie total – in that time.

The counter-point is ... when a player is a dominant force inside, defenses adjust and their stats take a hit.

Haven't watched the Panthers much, but you'd bet he was doubled and schemed against significantly after a monster first year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

The counter-point is ... when a player is a dominant force inside, defenses adjust and their stats take a hit.

Haven't watched the Panthers much, but you'd bet he was doubled and schemed against significantly after a monster first year.

Playing next to Kawann Short should have boosted his production.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm fine bringing him in cheap, but it seems like he still has the reputation of being a good player despite his recent play and that scares me.

Cheap would be like $12 million. His age is the only thing that turns me off. If I'm the Bills I'm saving my money and building a young team this year. Jump into free agency next season. We will be loaded with cap space. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How much is he projected to get? He would still be a huge upgrade to what we have now. McBeane doesn’t seem like the type to overpay just to do it so I assume they would take him on a reasonable deal. If not, other fish in the sea.

At least $12 million per. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

13 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Cheap would be like $12 million. His age is the only thing that turns me off. If I'm the Bills I'm saving my money and building a young team this year. Jump into free agency next season. We will be loaded with cap space. 

I don't think he'll get anywhere close to $12 mil per year but we'll see. If anyone touches that, it'll be a mistake. The last projection I had seen for him was around $8 million per year.

Edited by DCOrange

19 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

How could he get that much if his film isn’t good. Cleveland?

33 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

This is the Sammy argument. Stars make plays no matter what. I don’t buy these excuses anymore

2 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

Maybe playing next to Star boosted Short's numbers? 

Even ignoring the raw numbers people look to like sacks, systems like PFF say Star was awful this past season and below average the two years before that. Short has been elite every year along with all the other guys that "demand the O-Line's attention".

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Even ignoring the raw numbers people look to like sacks, systems like PFF say Star was awful this past season and below average the two years before that. Short has been elite every year along with all the other guys that "demand the O-Line's attention".

So again I ask how he is going to get a huge contract somewhere. 

39 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

12 million isn't even close. Spotrac projects 6M per for 4 years. He has been a failure in Carolina. I think people see the need and a cool looking gargantuan that could fill the hole but don't even know what he brings or fails to bring to the table.

Edited by Commonsense

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/08/28/carolina-panthers-star-lotulelei/

So, How Important Is Star Lotulelei?

Star Lotulelei may not be the kind of guy with double-digit sacks each season. He may not even register a sack on a QB over a stretch of multiple games. However, what he does on the field deserves recognition on its own.

For the defense, Star helps clog up double teams and triple teams, allowing for multiple lanes to open up and linebackers/pass rushers to flourish. He does the dirty work while the rest of the defense cleans up. With Star’s immense size and strength, teams understand they have to be very weary of Star or else he will punish.

Without Star, guys such as  Kawann Short, Mario Addison, Thomas Davis, and even Luke Kuechly would not have the same amount of success they’ve had with him. Guys who do what Star does do not come everyday. If the Panthers want to continue having a dominant defensive line and linebackers, Star is a priority for next season.

So, how important is Star Lotulelei?

Very important.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

dontari poe is the guy i want

Usually someone would point out that Poe is better suited for NT in a 3-4 but he actually played over 70% of the snaps for Atlanta last year and they run a 4-3. Stats-wise he had his best year since 2013. But the reasons the Chiefs let him go in 2016 were because his asking price was quite high plus he's had a consistent back injury to deal with for a few years now. 

I don't know if he's an FA this season or not but I can't see McBeane viewing and valuing him as anything more than a rotational DL. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is the same Rob Quinn who said the Bills "failed upward" by, among other moves, trading Ragland and Cardale Jones--thus "seemingly forgetting about the present and building up for the future"?

I'm not sure but Cover1 also wrote a puff piece on Ragland. Sad.

Star Lotulelei "ready for next chapter" if it's not in Carolina 

“I don't think there's a whole lot of people that can do what I can do,” Lotulelei said. “The physicality and intelligence that I bring, I don't think there's a whole lot of people that have that combination. Like I said, I'm not worried about it. I know I'll find a job, if it's here or somewhere else.”

But since stats do matter at least somewhat, it’s worth noting Lotulelei’s dipped after a stellar debut. He's averaged 24.8 tackles over his past four seasons after registering 42 as a rookie. And as Lotulelei’s 11.5 career sacks attest, he’s not an elite pass rusher like fellow 2013 defensive tackle draftee Kawann Short[IMG]. But while many speculate 2016 first-round pick Vernon Butler[IMG] can just replace Lotulelei, they’re not nearly the same player. Lotulelei is more classic nose tackle; Butler is more like Short.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Playing next to Kawann Short should have boosted his production.

I guess you could argue that playing next to Lotulelei boosted Kawann Short's production instead. I did not watch them close enough this year to know if it is true, but it is possible. This quote from the article Royale posted says as much:

He does the dirty work while the rest of the defense cleans up. With Star’s immense size and strength, teams understand they have to be very weary [sic] of Star or else he will punish.

Without Star, guys such as  Kawann Short, Mario Addison, Thomas Davis, and even Luke Kuechly would not have the same amount of success they’ve had with him."

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If we stay at 21-22, please just give me Vita Vea with one of those picks.  I want him more than any prospect in this draft that isn't  a QB.

2 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

If we stay at 21-22, please just give me Vita Vea with one of those picks.  I want him more than any prospect in this draft that isn't  a QB.

We need at least 2 DTs. I would like a veteran to go with a rookie to help with the transition.

If Kyle comes back I would like to see him in a reduced role mainly just rushing the passer.

Edited by billieve420

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I guess you could argue that playing next to Lotulelei boosted Kawann Short's production instead. I did not watch them close enough this year to know if it is true, but it is possible. This quote from the article Royale posted says as much:

He does the dirty work while the rest of the defense cleans up. With Star’s immense size and strength, teams understand they have to be very weary [sic] of Star or else he will punish.

Without Star, guys such as  Kawann Short, Mario Addison, Thomas Davis, and even Luke Kuechly would not have the same amount of success they’ve had with him."

I understand his role, but that doesn't excuse the precipitous drop in production since his rookie campaign. 

He will get paid. He's much like Dareus overall. He can disappear for games. I'd not pay him what he wants but he will command it and if we want to upgrade he is one of the best options. The problem is DT's are too highly paid currently. 

Better off with rag tag UFA's mid tier or rookies and drafting elite LBs if we can't get UFA's. 

We really need linebackers. Not one starter worth starting on this team as is.

31 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

12 million isn't even close. Spotrac projects 6M per for 4 years. He has been a failure in Carolina. I think people see the need and a cool looking gargantuan that could fill the hole but don't even know what he brings or fails to bring to the table.

That makes much more sense 

I know McD likes to get his own guys, but i don't think he tends to overvalue them.  We rotated a ton at DT this year, and traded our most talented one away for cap relief.  

I think we'll try to bring back Kyle, and add someone at a lower price point.  Keeping dolphus and thornton for depth.

Likely not using a 1st for a DT, and maybe drafting one later in the draft maybe?  We need so much help at LB and pass rush, that i wouldn't want to see them use a ton of draft capital or cap space on DTs.

Edited by dneveu

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I know McD likes to get his own guys, but i don't think he tends to overvalue them.  We rotated a ton at DT this year, and traded our most talented one away for cap relief.  

I think we'll try to bring back Kyle, and add someone at a lower price point.  Keeping dolphus and thornton for depth.

Likely not using a 1st for a DT, and maybe drafting one later in the draft maybe?  We need so much help at LB and pass rush, that i wouldn't want to see them use a ton of draft capital or cap space on DTs.

It starts with the lines. LBs will look much better behind a dominant front which we are far from. I think we need 2 DTs and a DE opposite Hughes. Hughes hasn't been the same since Mario Williams left. 

50 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think McD/Beane will be the first call he gets and they will set the market for him. It'll be hard for anyone to pay a guy more than his previous coach (who saw him at his very best) is willing to go. Though, in today's world, who knows. 

McDermott showed that he's willing to make the right choices to make the team better when he fired Dennison.  If he thinks he's worth bringing in, he probably is.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billieve420 said:

It starts with the lines. LBs will look much better behind a dominant front which we are far from. I think we need 2 DTs and a DE opposite Hughes. Hughes hasn't been the same since Mario Williams left. 

We don't have a ton of cap room at the moment, and a considerable number of holes.

QB1

WR2

RB2

C1 (Groy moves in but who knows how comfortable they are in that)

RG1 (ducasse/miller i guess...?)

RT1 (mills sucks)

LCB1

NCB1 (possibly bring back johnson)

MLB1/2

SLB1

DT1/2

LDE1 (depending on what you think of lawson)

I don't really think they'll go after any of the top layer of free agents for that reason.  They're still remaking the roster the way that they want to see it.  

If they can bring back williams for another year I think they would.  He'll be relatively affordable and is a great leader.