KC Chiefs maybe to unload Justin Houston

bkep32

Per profootball talk, chief GM to maybe clean house on aging high expensive player.  Justin Houston 29, could be up for trade.  Would this be a guy we would be intersted in?  He had a couple injuries past few seasons to limit production.  Maybe one of our 2nds, if chiefs are really wanted to get younger and cheaper on the def side of the ball.  Would nice to have him causing havoc on the outside instead of alexander.  

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Way too expensive. 

7/15/2015: Signed a six-year, $101 million contract. The deal contains $52.5 million guaranteed, including a $20.5 million signing bonus. 2018: $14.75 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2019: $15.25 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2020: $17 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2021: Free Agent

I'd love to have him (assuming !cD felt he was a scheme fit), but the Bills are just not in a position to take on his cap hit.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/justin-houston-7789/

Im not sure if it'd be less if her were traded (im assuming it probably would), but right now he's set to count $20 million against the cap in 2018. 

Considering his injury history and his price tag, I doubt anyone would trade for him, and considering all the dead money involved with cutting him, I don't see us (KC) cutting him.  What most folks don't realize about Houston in the 2017 season, was that due to injuries to Eric Berry, lack of LB depth and speed, and really poor CB play opposite Marcus Peters, we literally had Houston drop into coverage almost every play.  Houston is a very good all around player, but he isn't being paid all that money to be a coverage LB....Many fans were very unhappy about how he was utilized this season.  I would expect he will remain a Chief and will be once again utilized as what he does best, wich is rush the passer.  IF he doesn't do well in 2018, they will look to part ways, and next year, they can absorb that cap hit easier if need be. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

8 hours ago, bkep32 said:

Per profootball talk, chief GM to maybe clean house on aging high expensive player.  Justin Houston 29, could be up for trade.  Would this be a guy we would be intersted in?  He had a couple injuries past few seasons to limit production.  Maybe one of our 2nds, if chiefs are really wanted to get younger and cheaper on the def side of the ball.  Would nice to have him causing havoc on the outside instead of alexander.  

Not a lot of pass rushers in this draft he would be a huge get for us.

8 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I read the same article purging the old guys and the High dollars.

I do not feel Bills are interested in either ?

Maybe we can get him latter when he doesn't get his asking price?

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Not a lot of pass rushers in this draft he would be a huge get for us.

Maybe we can get him latter when he doesn't get his asking price?

I think they might be looking for youth over exp. I think they may have a teachable program. Unlike Rex..

12 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Considering his injury history and his price tag, I doubt anyone would trade for him, and considering all the dead money involved with cutting him, I don't see us (KC) cutting him.  What most folks don't realize about Houston in the 2017 season, was that due to injuries to Eric Berry, lack of LB depth and speed, and really poor CB play opposite Marcus Peters, we literally had Houston drop into coverage almost every play.  Houston is a very good all around player, but he isn't being paid all that money to be a coverage LB....Many fans were very unhappy about how he was utilized this season.  I would expect he will remain a Chief and will be once again utilized as what he does best, wich is rush the passer.  IF he doesn't do well in 2018, they will look to part ways, and next year, they can absorb that cap hit easier if need be. 

Thanks, good points, makes sense

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

3-4 OLB, would need to be a 4-3 DE and that's really not his thing. Bad fit for him poistion-wise and he's super expensive. Why someone would want to pay 14-15M for a DE and then cry about paying cousin 27M is beyond me.  

I can easily see him getting paid less than that number by someone who has  a good fit for him

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Still need the talent through.

I agree.

• Like (+1) 1