Why not make a play for AJ McCarron?

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

With each passing day I have less confidence in our ability to draft a good qb. Admittedly I don’t know much about mccarron , though. Anyone got the skinny on this guy?

You  have less confidence in drafting a QB but you have confidence in McCarron? It is going to be a long off season.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

With each passing day I have less confidence in our ability to draft a good qb. Admittedly I don’t know much about mccarron , though. Anyone got the skinny on this guy?

...first step is to see results of Feb. 15 RFA vs UFA arbitrator ruling......several pundits say RFA so then you'll have to see tenders............

Andy Dalton has, for the last what, 6 years been looked at as the definition of average. "The Andy Dalton scale". Not bad. Not good. Just the tepid water of the NFL starting QB scale. And at no point has AJ McCarron made a serious push to unseat that. Now, I understand he may (or may not) be an improvement over what we have now, but what aim for a guy that can't even rise above average?

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Rob Johnson, Scott Mitchell and others come to mind when I hear McCarron’s name.

I might be wrong in the end, but at least your guys actually flashed something. 

Why hasn't he seen the field? Look at the acumen of their coach. McCarron is definitely worth a look if it's at a reasonable deal. There is a reason why he is appealing to the league to change his status to free agent. Cincy won't let him go. Why is that if he's just another replaceable backup? 

Realistically, good QBs seldom hit FA.  Mostly they're back ups, and not necessarily good ones.  Cousins is the best FA QB since Peyton was released by Indy.  Before that, the best QB to hit FA was Brees.    However much some fans may not like it, Taylor may be the best the  Bills can do for a veteran QB.  Cousins is the only likely FA who would be better, and he's going to command big $$$.  Bradford would be better but how long are his gimpy knees going to hold up?  The preseason?  Half a season?  One game?   Both Glennon and McKown are career backups.

Cutting Taylor and bringing in McCarron is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.   Taylor is not "the answer" but he's certainly better than McCarron.  Maybe the Bills can bring back Thad Lewis ...

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Realistically, good QBs seldom hit FA.  Mostly they're back ups, and not necessarily good ones.  Cousins is the best FA QB since Peyton was released by Indy.  Before that, the best QB to hit FA was Brees.    However much some fans may not like it, Taylor may be the best the  Bills can do for a veteran QB.  Cousins is the only likely FA who would be better, and he's going to command big $$$.  Bradford would be better but how long are his gimpy knees going to hold up?  The preseason?  Half a season?  One game?   Both Glennon and McKown are career backups.

Cutting Taylor and bringing in McCarron is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.   Taylor is not "the answer" but he's certainly better than McCarron.  Maybe the Bills can bring back Thad Lewis ...

If we are going to have a former Bills starter who is a t best a passable backup I’d rather bring back Fitz. 

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because AJ McCarron cannot make a play?

Recall the Bengals - Steelers playoff game 2-3 years back? McCarron had positioned the Bengals well for their 1st playoff win under Lewis only to be undone by Jeremy Hill's fumble with minutes left and then a super bonehead penalty by Burfict giving the Steelers thier FG for the win? He looked pretty good in the 4th QTR with the game on the line.

11 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Recall the Bengals - Steelers playoff game 2-3 years back? McCarron had positioned the Bengals well for their 1st playoff win under Lewis only to be undone by Jeremy Hill's fumble with minutes left and then a super bonehead penalty by Burfict giving the Steelers thier FG for the win? He looked pretty good in the 4th QTR with the game on the line.

Yeah, and Rob Johnson and Matt Flynn both looked great in a single game ... if I had a $1 for every crappy QB in the last 25 years who looked good for a quarter or even an entire game and then sucked when given a chance to be a regular starter, I could have retired a decade earlier.

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Yeah, and Rob Johnson and Matt Flynn both looked great in a single game ... if I had a $1 for every crappy QB in the last 25 years who looked good for a quarter or even an entire game and then sucked when given a chance to be a regular starter, I could have retired a decade earlier.

It wasn't an endorsement, merely a counterpoint to those who simply wrote him off. He is a very unknown quantity yet in a playoff game, in the 4th QTR, against a tough team, he came through. Rob Johnson's big game that led Buffalo to acquire him was not that type of game. Apples to oranges.

22 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

It wasn't an endorsement, merely a counterpoint to those who simply wrote him off. He is a very unknown quantity yet in a playoff game, in the 4th QTR, against a tough team, he came through. Rob Johnson's big game that led Buffalo to acquire him was not that type of game. Apples to oranges.

So it was more like Rob's game against a tough Titan's team in the playoffs when Johnson put us into position to win were it not for a miracle kick return.

Because this is reportedly one of the deepest QB draft classes in a very very long time and we can probably get our long term answer at the position there.

Why is everyone obsessed with blaaaahhhh vet QBs who basically don't stand a chance of being Elite?

Time to stop settling for diamonds in the rough we find through trade or FA or late in the draft (Edwards, Fitz, Tyrod) and shoot for the stars and trade UP in the 1st round (thinking back to the fact that we traded down for a QB no one seemed to want still makes me kinda sick) to get whichever QB we want.

There might be 6 1st round QBs this year.

That's crazy!

I think the top 5 or 6 QB's in this draft will be better pros than McCarron.

This is the year to draft a QB even if we sit and make no trades upward.

As for having a vet in here to help until the rookie is ready we would want someone better that McCarron

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, gomper said:

Why hasn't he seen the field? Look at the acumen of their coach. McCarron is definitely worth a look if it's at a reasonable deal. There is a reason why he is appealing to the league to change his status to free agent. Cincy won't let him go. Why is that if he's just another replaceable backup? 

Maybe because they are a loser organization that doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why is everyone obsessed with blaaaahhhh vet QBs who basically don't stand a chance of being Elite?

like the one they have had on the team for the last 3 years?

20 hours ago, Jasovon said:

See Mike Glennon for why you don't go after a mediocre team's backup QB.

a mistake this team made 3 years ago.

23 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

like the one they have had on the team for the last 3 years?

a mistake this team made 3 years ago.

We didn't trade for Tyrod and he has been a top 20 QB since he got here which is hardly the same as being benched for a rookie after 3 games. 

Tyrod isn;t the answer but he also isn't a huge bust.