Sammy who?

SJDK

When Sammy Watkins is 100 in 10% healthy and that means no offseason surgeries no offseason setbacks and he has a franchise quarterback get back to me because if that happens he's going to light everyone up

I'm not buying that he's a hundred percent yet which is been is major problem his entire career Fred Taylor was the same way

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sammy was never a bad wr. He was just painted that way by ignorant fans. It was always about the qb. And if the Rams are smart they resign him.

Hes not bad. Hes just nowhere near where a 4th overall pick at that position should be in his 4th year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the real question is whether he would have helped the Bills this year if he had not been traded.  Given that our WR corp was poor this year and Sammy seemed to be healthy during this year, the answer probably is yes.  With TT's limitation as a passer, I think the trade resulted overall in a relatively small benefit to the Bills when considered in light of getting a second round pick in the draft for him (unfortunately a late second round pick) versus a third round pick if he had left in free agency in 2018.

I don't think he is NE type player.  They seem to value players who can pick up the complexities of their schemes and plays.  I don't think Sammy is that guy.

25 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Hes not bad. Hes just nowhere near where a 4th overall pick at that position should be in his 4th year. 

Jarvis Landry 150 targets 103 receptions 895 yards 8 tds

Kelvin Benjamin 75 targets 46 receptions 665 yards 3 tds

Mike Evans 122 targets 66 receptions 946 yards 5 tds

Brandin Cooks 103 targets 60 receptions 1003 yards 6 tds

Sammy Watkins 70 targets 39 receptions 593 yards 8 tds

"Why isn't Watkins putting up stats?"

Well that's fairly obvious.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does LaFell draw the #1 CB each week? Nope, that's AJ Green.  There is no comparison.   LaFell has 50 catches for 513 yards and 3 TDs  Watkins has 39 catches for 593 yards with 8 TDs

sg1gg8.jpg

Does Sammy draw the #1 Corner in LA? I'm asking I don't watch them enough to know. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yep. 

It's surprising to me because Woods has become their #1 receiver at least in yardage and catches and Kupp seems to be Goff's other favorite. Sammy only flashes at time and has been very inconsistent. The little bit of game that I have watched he has dropped a few balls.

3 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

It's surprising to me because Woods has become their #1 receiver at least in yardage and catches and Kupp seems to be Goff's other favorite. Sammy only flashes at time and has been very inconsistent. The little bit of game that I have watched he has dropped a few balls.

Woods and Kupp get to operate on underneath routes against the #2 CB and slot CB because of Watkins presence on the field. You admit that you haven't watched the Rams enough, so I'm not sure how you can assess Sammy's performance and his impact on the team.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Woods and Kupp get to operate on underneath routes against the #2 CB and slot CB because of Watkins presence on the field. You admit that you haven't watched the Rams enough, so I'm not sure how you can assess Sammy's performance and his impact on the team.

All i'm hinting at is that #1 receivers on other teams draw the #1 corner and even get help over the top and still get a 1000 yard seasons and close to double digit TD's. I really thought after watching Sammy coming out of college that he was that type of WR and seeing that he is just a little above average confirms to me that it was a bad draft pick by us.

All i'm hinting at is that #1 receivers on other teams draw the #1 corner and even get help over the top and still get a 1000 yard seasons and close to double digit TD's. I really thought after watching Sammy coming out of college that he was that type of WR and seeing that he is just a little above average confirms to me that it was a bad draft pick by us.

So you're looking at numbers without watching their games to conclude that. Got it.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

So you're looking at numbers without watching their games to conclude that. Got it.

I've seen enough of Sammy in Buffalo to know that he has allot of speed and talent yet injuries have slowed him down. I guess I was just expecting more production. Isn't numbers really the only way to rate a WR? You can rate their blocking I guess. For a WR to be great they need separation good hands and run good routes. Are you saying Goff isn't utilizing him when he is open?

It's not funny at all. The points he made were uninformed and factually incorrect.  It shows insecurity? Hardly and I chose to further elaborate and provide numbers to buttress my argument.  His argument was weak.  If that bothers you then too bad. 

4 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

It's funny how anyone who has a different opinion than you just does not understand football. And when you say "I'm out" and then comment 5 more times, you show real insecurity in your position.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Watch the Rams and Goff and you'll see the difference between him and a veteran who will throw to their #1 regardless of coverage.  Big Ben, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Eli.......  don't care and make those passes, which result in much higher targets and receptions.  

If he is so bad and not worth the money, why does he draw #1 defenders & doubles (or triple as that one screen grab shows)?

Goff has improved tremendously and 80% of that is due to the coaching he has gotten.  He still however is not great and Watkins has been the odd man out as McVay is very careful as to when Watkins is the primary target and Goff still has missed him a lot.

Note only 1 drop this season too.  BTW Kupp has 5 & Woods 0......

Will return when we see what he signs for.....

Edited by Billsfan1972

I've seen enough of Sammy in Buffalo to know that he has allot of speed and talent yet injuries have slowed him down. I guess I was just expecting more production. Isn't numbers really the only way to rate a WR? You can rate their blocking I guess. For a WR to be great they need separation good hands and run good routes. Are you saying Goff isn't utilizing him when he is open?

Goff has missed him quite a bit this season on deep shots with Watkins open.  You should look up McVay's pass play designs and route combination concepts to see how they use Watkins so you'll have a good understanding of what his role is with LA. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I think the real question is whether he would have helped the Bills this year if he had not been traded.  Given that our WR corp was poor this year and Sammy seemed to be healthy during this year, the answer probably is yes.  With TT's limitation as a passer, I think the trade resulted overall in a relatively small benefit to the Bills when considered in light of getting a second round pick in the draft for him (unfortunately a late second round pick) versus a third round pick if he had left in free agency in 2018.

I don't think he is NE type player.  They seem to value players who can pick up the complexities of their schemes and plays.  I don't think Sammy is that guy.

I don’t think I’d disagree with any. In fact pretty close to my take. 

Not sure Sammy’s ability to handle complex schemes, but that’s simply an unknown not a disagreement.

"What I want for Christmas."

What I want is a Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock... and this thing which tells time. I think that everybody should have a Red Ryder BB gun. They're very good for Christmas. I don't think that a football's a very good Christmas present.

Oh, rarely had the words poured from my penny pencil with such feverish fluidity.

11 hours ago, SJDK said:

A couple years ago I commented that Sammy Watkins would be injury prone and basically the same as Brandon LaFell ( Check my old comments). I was abused by this board received warnings from mods for defending myself and I stand here today to show just what has happened with these two players.

Since 2014: 

LaFell receptions: 224 yards: 2957 TD:18
Watkins: receptions: 184 yards: 2987 TD:23
*Includes this years stats so far 

i hope we we win Sunday and get some help to get in the playoffs. The last game I was at was the Jacksonville game in ‘99 with flutie taking in the bootleg. I just want to make a point that we need players who are good, available, and mesh with the team. Coach Mac has the right idea.

That was such a bad selection and trade up.  I said at the time also.  Just horrible.  NO wonder Marrone was pissed.  Rookie GM just got worked.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Will Sammy ever go to a team that uses him the way many people think he should be used?  He looks like a guy that can put up all the numbers but hasn't to this point in his career.  We shall see what he decides to do in free agency

Wouldn't mind him back in Buffalo at the right price if we can get a qb that will throw to wide receivers.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Wouldn't mind him back in Buffalo at the right price if we can get a qb that will throw to wide receivers.

I doubt he'd want to come back but I don't think it's impossible.  A new QB and new OC would be the only chance at getting him back I'd assume but it just seems unlikely

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Same old story. Sammy was "good." So were Whitner and Gilmore and all 3 of them were wasted draft picks. They didn't win game for us and put us in the playoffs.

Except whitner and Gilmore didn’t join 4-12 teams that turned into 12-4 teams after they arrived.  

Sammy is still an asset.      Rams will be good for at least 5 Years with that roster. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Thank you (+1) 1