Sammy who?

SJDK

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He has 1 less touchdown than all of our wrs combined!  But Jordan Matthews picked Up the slack.  Our offense was a lot of fun to watch this year and I'm sure the Rams really regret that trade!

I'm not saying anything about Sammy's stats.  However, the Rams did give up a solid corner who has produced well for us but has been hurt and they gave us a 2nd round pick.  If he leaves, was it still worth trading for him (Rams perspective)?  If he doesn't resign for them and we resign Gaines and he stays healthy going forward, that looks like a nice trade to me from our point of view.  Obviously, that's a lot of ifs at this point but it could turn out to be a really nice moving forward.

Plus, the second round draft pick could turn out to be a solid player as well.  

2 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I love McBean but with Sammy we would easily be up a game right now (probably Carolina) and ready to clinch a playoff birth.  Just sayin'.

And then he'd be gone the next year because he was frustrated with his situation here.  Then, you have nothing to show for a guy we traded two first round picks for.  That'd be a tough pill to swallow.

Edited by Buffalo30

6 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm not saying anything about Sammy's stats.  However, the Rams did give up a solid corner who has produced well for us but has been hurt and they gave us a 2nd round pick.  If he leaves, was it still worth trading for him (Rams perspective)?  If he doesn't resign for them and we resign Gaines and he stays healthy going forward, that looks like a nice trade to me from our point of view.  Obviously, that's a lot of ifs at this point but it could turn out to be a really nice moving forward.

Plus, the second round draft pick could turn out to be a solid player as well.  

And then he'd be gone the next year because he was frustrated with his situation here.  Then, you have nothing to show for a guy we traded two first round picks for.  That'd be a tough pill to swallow.

Gaines was a throw in that if the Bills really liked could have gotten for next to nothing. Quit thinking it was some coup.  It was blind luck and the Bills got an injury prone db.

So now they have a late second round pick.  Whoopdedoo.....

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Gaines was a throw in that if the Bills really liked could have gotten for next to nothing. Quit thinking it was some coup.  It was blind luck and the Bills got an injury prone db.

So now they have a late second round pick.  Whoopdedoo.....

Gaines has been solid when on the field.  It fits the system perfectly.  We are 7-3 with him and 1-4 without him.  He clearly makes a difference when he's on the field, it's easy to see.  Whether he was a throw-in or not, it worked out really well.  He was fairly productive with the Rams in his career before coming here.  Was a no name to us but fairly productive nonetheless.  A second round pick is a valuable asset and most likely a starter.  Dawkins was a late second...

Watkins was disgruntled and showed no signs of wanting to come back, we potentially got two starters in return...that's pretty good in my book.

Edited by Buffalo30

14 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Not making the playoffs because of one dropped pass at the end of the Carolina game could be a tough pill to swallow.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

???

You really believe that don't you?

McDermott certainly had a hand in that but coming off a year where Sammy played in 8 games and had 28 catches...not exactly giving me a lot of confidence in signing him.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No way Whaley would do that if he was calling the shots.  It had to be McDermott.

Even if they signed him to the one year extension with the option, he could've left after that as showed how frustrated he was here.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

McDermott certainly had a hand in that but coming off a year where Sammy played in 8 games and had 28 catches...not exactly giving me a lot of confidence in signing him.

Even if they signed him to the one year extension with the option, he could've left after that as showed how frustrated he was here.  

They would have had two years to figure out what to do by exercising the 5th year option.   Oh well. What's done is done.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They would have had two years to figure out what to do by exercising the 5th year option.   Oh well. What's done is done.

Will be very interested to see if we resign Gaines.  He has played well when on the field.  If we sign him to a contract with playing time incentives (injury clause), we may be able to cross off CB as a high need and maybe just draft one later in the draft.  The second round pick could be a starter (Dawkins was a late second rounder).  I think we got a solid deal if this happens.

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think I’d disagree with any. In fact pretty close to my take. 

Not sure Sammy’s ability to handle complex schemes, but that’s simply an unknown not a disagreement.

I think it's more known than unknown.

Back in October/November, Watkins did an interview with USA today, and he admitted he is still struggling with reading defensive coverages.

Just recently, he admitted Goff, at times, had to explain to him, in the huddle, some of the offensive concepts of a called play.

This is not a good look for a 4th year WR. If he's still struggling with the mental part of the game, his only asset is his speed = Decoy ability.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cynical said:

I think it's more known than unknown.

Back in October/November, Watkins did an interview with USA today, and he admitted he is still struggling with reading defensive coverages.

Just recently, he admitted Goff, at times, had to explain to him, in the huddle, some of the offensive concepts of a called play.

This is not a good look for a 4th year WR. If he's still struggling with the mental part of the game, his only asset is his speed = Decoy ability.

Whaley loved himself some low iq players, boy howdy.

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sammy was never a bad wr. He was just painted that way by ignorant fans. It was always about the qb. And if the Rams are smart they resign him.

What type of terms you talkin'?

8 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

It's funny how anyone who has a different opinion than you just does not understand football. And when you say "I'm out" and then comment 5 more times, you show real insecurity in your position.

yeah - he's a @#$% like that.

3 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

So you'd be happy if Sammy was here this year and then left with Buffalo getting nothing in return?

Yes, that would have been perfect.  We win 1-2 more games this year to make playoffs, get an equal or better replacement in FA or draft.  Perfect.

20 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

So Watkins has more yards and more touchdowns on ~20% let receptions. What is your point again?

His point is that Sammy has failed to live up to expectations and is not nearly as good as many on this board believe him to be.

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Your point doesn't add up.  :huh:

So you are saying that he was worth that first round pick?  :huh:

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There's another boxscore scout who doesn't get impact beyond numbers.  :lol:  

He has not been a key player for the Rams.  Without him they still will the same amount of games.  Let's just admit that he hasn't lived up to expectations and that he's not as good as you and most others believed he was.

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

His point is that Sammy has failed to live up to expectations and is not nearly as good as many on this board believe him to be.

So you are saying that he was worth that first round pick?  :huh:

He has not been a key player for the Rams.  Without him they still will the same amount of games.  Let's just admit that he hasn't lived up to expectations and that he's not as good as you and most others believed he was.

Let's just let you have your opinion while I'll listen to what Sean McVay and his Ram temmates have to say. 

1 hour ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Yes, that would have been perfect.  We win 1-2 more games this year to make playoffs, get an equal or better replacement in FA or draft.  Perfect.

That just doesn't make sense to me.  Also, Sammy wasn't healthy at all last year.  Played in 8 games, who knows if he'd have been healthy here.  Even if we won one or two more games, that's all you want??  No long term success goal??  Just one year of playoffs and then back to having a bunch more needs?  You create another need with WR anyway and you don't have the two players that you got from the trade.  If Gaines signs a deal and we have the second round pick, that could be two starters filling two needs for the next few years.  You'd be fine with having none of that?  I guess I just find that foolish.

52 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

It will come.  BTW, I'd rather have Sammy than Zay at this point, his heir apparent on the Bills :bag:

He didn't act like he wanted to be here.  I don't think he would resign here.  So, you would've never seen the top talent the guy had after paying two 1st round picks for him and a 4th and gotten nothing as he left in free agency.  I'd be screaming at the front office.  I'm glad they got something for him.  If Gaines resigns (which is possible as he looks like a solid fit in this scheme) and the second round pick becomes a starter, we fill two needs instead of filling none and Sammy leaves.  We gotta be a little realistic, the guy wasn't happy here. 

Just now, Wily Dog said:

all of the people that McD and Beane got rid of either didn't want to be here , didn't want to perform, or were not a fit for the "process". I for one am glad they are gone. The I's and me's can be replaced with some we's.

Marcell Dareus AFC South Division Champion, Sammy Watkins NFC West Division Champion, Ronald Darby NFC East Division Champion.  :beer:

Process That!

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nice of you to stop by again Russ.

I'm sure there are plenty of players on the Bills RIGHT NOW that don't want to be here.

Tough ****. You don't just players away because they don't want to be here. 

It seems that is exactly what they did and probably more will follow. I would hope  that the underperforms are gone but if they are not they will be shown the door.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Marcell Dareus AFC South Division Champion, Sammy Watkins NFC West Division Champion, Ronald Darby NFC East Division Champion.  :beer:

Process That!

Haha those teams are wildly talented otherwise.  It's not because of those players but good for them.  Todd Gurley is an MVP candidate, Carson Wentz was an MVP candidate before injury and the Jags defense as a whole is monsterous led by Calais Campell who some analysts have said should get some defensive player of the year votes.  But sure, we can give the credit to these three guys.  Dareus with his one sack...far fall from 10 in 2014.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Haha those teams are wildly talented otherwise.  It's not because of those players but good for them.  Todd Gurley is an MVP candidate, Carson Wentz was an MVP candidate before injury and the Jags defense as a whole is monsterous led by Calais Campell who some analysts have said should get some defensive player of the year votes.  But sure, we can give the credit to these three guys.  Dareus with his one sack...far fall from 10 in 2014.  

Yeah Yeah.  Try to rationalize their contributions away.  

While I'm at it Kevon Seymour and Kaelin Clay are also playoff bound. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yeah Yeah.  Try to rationalize their contributions away.  

While I'm at it Kevon Seymour and Kaelin Clay are also playoff bound. 

No doubt they've contributed but you're telling me that those teams weren't talented enough even before those players?  I mentioned all of the MVP and DPOY candidates.  I should also mention Aaron Donald for the Rams, been a monster this year.  Those players are benefitting from being on talented teams too dude. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Starting players on playoff teams are minimal contributors. Okay. If that makes you feel better then go for it.

I am going for it because their minimal contributions for the Bill's were not up to a playoff caliber player and they proved that on the field. hurray for them that they got on a playoff bound team.

2 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

It will come.  BTW, I'd rather have Sammy than Zay at this point, his heir apparent on the Bills :bag:

Yeah, and I'd rather have Gaines, a 2nd rounder and millions in cap savings than the underperforming Watkins.  

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Process That!

Mhmm let me try.

Here Dareus was paid and expected to be the impact player on defense. He wasn't. In Jacksonville he is about the 4th best Dlineman and is now a role player.

Sammy Watkins is the 4th recieiving option behind Woods, Kupp and Gurley. I know I know poor Sammy faces number 1 corners...and no teams game plan to stop TG.

As usual poor Sammy.

Ronald Darby missed 8 games, Philly was already well on their way. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Mhmm let me try.

Here Dareus was paid and expected to be the impact player on defense. He wasn't. In Jacksonville he is about the 4th best Dlineman and is now a role player.

Sammy Watkins is the 4th recieiving option behind Woods, Kupp and Gurley. I know I know poor Sammy faces number 1 corners...and no teams game plan to stop TG.

As usual poor Sammy.

Ronald Darby missed 8 games, Philly was already well on their way. 

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Wow you're right. Those teams would have sucked without those guys.

Feel better?  

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Process That!

So Marcell, Watkins and Darby were major contributors and a reason why those teams succeeded?  :lol: