Sammy who?

SJDK

A couple years ago I commented that Sammy Watkins would be injury prone and basically the same as Brandon LaFell ( Check my old comments). I was abused by this board received warnings from mods for defending myself and I stand here today to show just what has happened with these two players.

Since 2014: 

LaFell receptions: 224 yards: 2957 TD:18
Watkins: receptions: 184 yards: 2987 TD:23
*Includes this years stats so far 

i hope we we win Sunday and get some help to get in the playoffs. The last game I was at was the Jacksonville game in ‘99 with flutie taking in the bootleg. I just want to make a point that we need players who are good, available, and mesh with the team. Coach Mac has the right idea.

Just now, SJDK said:

My point was an ‘I told you so’ from before Sammy ever took a snap. Also, that we didn’t need him and I’m still a fan 

Your told you so is ringing hollow since he hasn't missed a game all season long and he's a key player on a division champion with the highest scoring offense in the league.  Keep chopping. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

So Watkins has more yards and more touchdowns on ~20% let receptions. What is your point again?

That he is basically exactly as productive as Brandon LaFell and the original point in March of 2014 was that he wasn’t worth that first round pick

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Your told you so is ringing hollow since he hasn't missed a game all season long and he's a key player on a division champion with the highest scoring offense in the league.  Keep chopping. 

Or least as 'key' as the 4th leading receiver on the team can be.

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He’s missed games this year. You should also check this years stats. 

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

40 fewer catches but more yards and TDs sure does point to Sammy being a different type of player. 

That is true but the other part of my comment was about how injury prone he is. If your best ability is your availability then where does this put Sammy?

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's missed no games this season.  You should stop now. 

I stand corrected, I thought he missed Seattle because he was completely erased. And the 3 other games where he caught one pass were forgetable. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, SJDK said:

I stand corrected, I thought he missed Seattle because he was completely erased. And the 3 other games where he caught one pass were forgetable. 

The premise of your OP is plain wrong on the numbers and the issue of him being injury prone.  Failed thread. 

You clearly havent consulted with the koolaid crowd. That entire Rams offense runs through Sambo. Hes the greatest decoy in the history the game and is signing a minimum deal if 10 years 350 million this offseason. Gurley probably doesnt break 100 yards for the season without Sammy luring all 11 defenders his way on every play. Your problem is you just dont understand the game or your just a hateful hater of hate.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SJDK said:

You should see how LaFell and Watkins stack up against each other this season

Does LaFell draw the #1 CB each week? Nope, that's AJ Green.  There is no comparison.   LaFell has 50 catches for 513 yards and 3 TDs  Watkins has 39 catches for 593 yards with 8 TDs

sg1gg8.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The premise of your OP is plain wrong on the numbers and the issue of him being injury prone.  Failed thread. 

He’s missed 11/63 games. But when looking beyond the box scores one can see that he has often been trotted out there when unhealthy only to have a lack of effort when the ball doesn’t hit him in the numbers

Just now, SJDK said:

He’s missed 11/63 games. But when looking beyond the box scores one can see that he has often been trotted out there when unhealthy only to have a lack of effort when the ball doesn’t hit him in the numbers

Your thread and your points are embarrassingly bad.  I'm out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Funny how I never hear the National media, many of whom are ex players, go on about the huge impact good ol Sambo is having on the Rams offense. Why dont you dig up some articles for us so we can be enlightened. There must be thousands of them.

Do your own research since you seem to be so certain. Sambo?

The hard truth  :lol:

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Do your own research since you seem to be so certain. Sambo?

The hard truth  :lol:

No need. Im sure hes the greatest cause you said so. Probably looking at 35 mill a year over 15 years with a 175 million dollar signing bonus. Guys like Antonio Brown are chumps. They could never be the decoy Sambo is.

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does LaFell draw the #1 CB each week? Nope, that's AJ Green.  There is no comparison.   LaFell has 50 catches for 513 yards and 3 TDs  Watkins has 39 catches for 593 yards with 8 TDs

sg1gg8.jpg

Yeah pretty similar. Sammy has more touchdowns but he does not have Andy Dalton to depend on.

Just now, SJDK said:

Yeah pretty similar. Sammy has more touchdowns but he does not have Andy Dalton to depend on.

Similar? No. Watkins has 80 more yards and 5 more TDs on 11 less catches and 15 less targets. He's created 33 1st downs to 23 for LaFell.  It's not even close and Watkins draws the assignment of the #1 CB each week often with Safety help.   You should stop. 

GreatNeedyAdamsstaghornedbeetle-max-14mb

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

No need. Im sure hes the greatest cause you said so. Probably looking at 35 mill a year over 15 years with a 175 million dollar signing bonus. Guys like Antonio Brown are chumps. They could never be the decoy Sambo is.

Hahaha! Nobody in nfl history has ever mastered the following quite like Sammy:

step 1- beat defender off line

step 2- defender touches him

step 3- raise arms and look at ref while catchable ball flies past him within his catch radius.

hall of fame.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Similar? No. Watkins has 80 more yards and 5 more TDs on 11 less catches and 15 less targets. He's created 33 1st downs to 23 for LaFell.  It's not even close and Watkins draws the assignment of the #1 CB each week often with Safety help.   You should stop. 

Yes, through 15 games that is indeed similar

*edit off not of

Edited by SJDK

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

sg1gg8.jpg

Not an impressive year for a #1 WR by any stretch of the imagination.

Watkins is not nearly as good as some make him out to be. He certainly isn't elite, and my guess is he never will be.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

All of which makes Sammy an average WR in the NFL. Good for him.

The good WR's can deal with a #1 CB and safety help and still put up yards and TD's.

6 hours ago, SJDK said:

That is true but the other part of my comment was about how injury prone he is. If your best ability is your availability then where does this put Sammy?

While a valid concern... he’s not been awful outside one major injury that followed a predictable, albeit it slow, timeline

also, when he’s out- someone steps up and plays and has production in his spot. So I’d argue Sammy producing that in 10 games plus whatever his backup does for 6 is better than lafell producing what he does in 16. Is rather be very good for a portion than mediocre the whole way.

6 hours ago, SJDK said:

step 3- raise arms and look at ref while catchable ball flies past him within his catch radius.

hall of fame.

Eric moulds used to do this all the time. It drove me nuts. Don't recall sammy doing it much.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

6 hours ago, SJDK said:

hall of fame.

Yes, through 15 games that is indeed similar

*edit off not of

I’ll push on “similar” here— post their YPC and TD per target stats and see how similar they look.

roll in Sammy facing the double teams, and having a lot of other options to target on the team.... well, I’d venture if Sammy lined up across from green the gap between he and lefell only widens