Reggie Ragland's play for the chiefs

berg1029

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Different scenario though. The Rams had a lot of good players on their roster, especially defense. He did bring in three new WR and a top level LT to the offense, which, along with his own real talent, transformed the team overnight. You're right in one respect though: If we hired him instead of McD we may have been able to transform the team quicker and had Wade as DC and McVay running the O.

I think we used to have a good roster, especially on defense, before two successive coaching regimes gutted the roster. That's my frustration.

I think we agree with each other regarding what we want out of a coach. But I'm not happy with McDermott to date.

Rex went .500 here over 2 years. That's better than any HC since Wade. Isn't the Tyrod argument also the Rex argument?

He picked Tyrod, so anyone who loves Tyrod needs to give him credit for that. He brought over Roman and Lynn to install their schemes.

Ironically, Rex finally had a good offense but couldn't get it together on defense.

I'm not saying he was great but McDermott has made some colossal blunders as well, and his defense is just as inept.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Rex went .500 here over 2 years. That's better than any HC since Wade. Isn't the Tyrod argument also the Rex argument?

He picked Tyrod, so anyone who loves Tyrod needs to give him credit for that. He brought over Roman and Lynn to install their schemes.

Ironically, Rex finally had a good offense but couldn't get it together on defense.

I'm not saying he was great but McDermott has made some colossal blunders as well, and his defense is just as inept.

Yep

If Rex kept Schwartz as the D coordinator, Bills probably win 12 games in 2015....

Who is to say Schwartz wanted to stay?

Sure they could have forced him but that creates an issue right away.

All Rex had to do was find a way to keep Schwartz, run that Roman/Lynn offense, and I agree, the team would have gone to the playoffs twice in a row and he would be seen as a hero and would be in year #3 and actually enjoying that house remodel he did right before he got canned.

My point is that there is a lot of "Rex was completely awful" thought but in retrospect the new HC is just Rex without the bravado and without Rex's offense.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Who is to say Schwartz wanted to stay?

Sure they could have forced him but that creates an issue right away.

All Rex had to do was find a way to keep Schwartz, run that Roman/Lynn offense, and I agree, the team would have gone to the playoffs twice in a row and he would be seen as a hero and would be in year #3 and actually enjoying that house remodel he did right before he got canned.

That could never have happened though. No defensive minded coach like Rex would let another guy run a completely different scheme than he runs.

35 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Still would rather have Ragland on the roster. He's more of a run stuffer than people think and better than Humber imo. 

He looked pretty fast to react to plays and attack yesterday several times. That ability he displayed in college on pass plays as well as run plays and can cut .1 - .2 off your 40 time.

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He looked pretty fast to react to plays and attack yesterday several times. That ability he displayed in college on pass plays as well as run plays and can cut .1 - .2 off your 40 time.

Pretty much - there was one play where Humber was very slow getting to the edge to catch up to a sweep and didn't make it. Milano may have been better in that position (and I'm pretty excited about Milano tbh), but I think we really could've done with having Reggie on the roster at least for run stuff packages and early down sets.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If we hired him instead of McD we may have been able to transform the team quicker and had Wade as DC and McVay running the O.

Ummmm.... no. I would wager that Wade would NEVER come back to Buffalo as a DC. Nice yo think though.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Our worst guy in pass coverage is Preston brown, and this guy was so much worse than brown at coverage that we had him on the scout team.  

The same coaching staff that thought Peterman was ready to start and a better option than TT were the ones that pushed Reggie Ragland down the depth chart. 

Reggie sure looked quick to me as he ran through our offensive line twice to tackle one of the best running backs in the league for a loss.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

His problem was with Ralph. He loved Buffalo. People say he would never do stuff based on nothing but a false premise.

You are correct.  This is one area where I have direct information.  Wade loves Buffalo. 

Edited by Peter

4 hours ago, nucci said:

then we fire the coach and start over

Which is what we did last year. What's frustrating is, ok, McDermott has looked like a good coach early on, but as we are finding out, he isn't as creative and flexible in coming up with schemes like Belichick. Even though he cheated, that coach has also been ingenious getting great results with flawed personnel. We need coaches who can do half of what he does. Otherwise we will keep looking up to them and the rest of the NFL. 

Pegulas have no experience in sports management and we're seeing the results thus far in both franchises they own. They have relied on their interpersonal interviewing skills to determine talent for executive hires. And it isn't working thus far in this business. They could use some consultants. 

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

The same coaching staff that thought Peterman was ready to start and a better option than TT were the ones he pushed Reggie Ragland down the depth chart. 

Reggie sure looked quick to me as he ran through our offensive line twice to tackle one of the best running backs in the league for a loss.

Ragland needed to be traded to a 3-4 team. I was ok with trading him. Not ok with getting only a 5th rounder. He's looking every bit a 2nd rounder on KC defense. Not quite 1st rounder - he can't cover nobody's grandma on routes.

9 minutes ago, CanadianFan said:

Which is what we did last year. What's frustrating is, ok, McDermott has looked like a good coach early on, but as we are finding out, he isn't as creative and flexible in coming up with schemes like Belichick. Even though he cheated, that coach has also been ingenious getting great results with flawed personnel. We need coaches who can do half of what he does. Otherwise we will keep looking up to them and the rest of the NFL. 

Pegulas have no experience in sports management and we're seeing the results thus far in both franchises they own. They have relied on their interpersonal interviewing skills to determine talent for executive hires. And it isn't working thus far in this business. They could use some consultants. 

Ragland needed to be traded to a 3-4 team. I was ok with trading him. Not ok with getting only a 5th rounder. He's looking every bit a 2nd rounder on KC defense. Not quite 1st rounder - he can't cover nobody's grandma on routes.

They did not rely just on personal interviews.  The NFL has a committee that makes recommendations as to assistants ready for the head job.  And McDermott was in that list.  I don't understand why people ignore that.

Is our HC as creative as Belicheat?  No.  Are any other coaches?  No.  There's a reason he's on the GOAT short list.

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Tell that to the Pittsburgh Steelers , who have run a 3-4 scheme since forever. That's a better way to run a franchise and a scouting department imo. They know exactly what type of player they are looking for and always seem to have the necessary ammo in the chamber. Constantly switching schemes to accommodate bpa drafting wouldn't work either. Consistency is key. 

Too bad Pittsburgh runs a 4-3 now

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wade on twitter said a few years ago he would come back to Buffalo.

If that is actually true.... I stand corrected. It was just hard to fathom coming back to a place one was run out of in order to take a lessor position.

Just now, aceman_16 said:

If that is actually true.... I stand corrected. It was just hard to fathom coming back to a place one was run out of in order to take a lessor position.

If you were fired by a company for a terrible reason, even though you liked your job and did well in it, and then years later were offered another great job at that same company by a totally different guy and totally different ownership, and no one that you didn't like was still there, would you just automatically turn it down?

Yes.... and I have. Moreoever, it may show I am a little biased towards the situation.  I guess IF it was the only job offered to me and I was hard up for money. Wade ia not hard up for job offerings. I saw situation as a pride thing - good or bad.

18 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

He had a fan ask him if he would consider coming back to Buffalo for a DC job after Houston.  He said yes.

He was hired by the Broncos shortly after.

Ragland vs Bills ground game: Old friend Reggie Ragland had a monster game for the Chiefs on Sunday. Buffalo’s former second-round pick led the Chiefs with nine tackles, including three behind the line of scrimmage. He shot through gaps untouched on several occasions and really disrupted a few Bills drives. Ragland also had nine tackles last week, and seems to be finding his footing in the NFL after missing all of his rookie season in Buffalo with a torn ACL. Obviously, Ragland was out to prove his worth to the team that recently traded him before he ever took a snap in the NFL. Ragland fits nicely with what the Chiefs are trying to do on defense, and with those stacked boxes he really was able to explode through the gaps before a blocker could even touch him. 

https://www.lockedonbills.com/five-takeaways-bills-chiefs/

On 11/22/2017 at 12:01 PM, Commonsense said:

Doug Whaley you bum.

Ragland was a pick Rex wanted Whaley was just getting players that fit the scheme Rex implemented .

Whaley did that his entire time here just like he drafted the rookies the Bills have now because those were the players that McD wanted so why all the hate on Whaley ??

6 minutes ago, T master said:

Ragland was a pick Rex wanted Whaley was just getting players that fit the scheme Rex implemented .

Whaley did that his entire time here just like he drafted the rookies the Bills have now because those were the players that McD wanted so why all the hate on Whaley ??

Whaley was the GM, he gets full blame/credit for any draft pick. If Whaley was letting Rex dictate every draft pick why would we even have Whaley on the payroll? 

6 minutes ago, T master said:

The "sucks" call is crack for the masses here: Whaley sucked, the fact that most of his draft picks are no longer on this team means they all sucked, Tyrod sucks, and all the players we've cut or traded suck.  It's fashionable to excoriate Whaley, and fashion is important.

The fact that Tyrod is arguably the best QB we've had since Flutie and being grossly misused, Whaley drafted for the scheme and preferences of whatever HC he had on board, and most of the players cut or traded are playing well, often for teams that seem more talented than we are, is not relevant.

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Whaley was the GM, he gets full blame/credit for any draft pick. If Whaley was letting Rex dictate every draft pick why would we even have Whaley on the payroll? 

That seemed to be the question of some reporters LOL!  But get with the program.  When a choice was good, it was Rex (or Marrone).  When a choice was poor, it was Whaley (even if Nix was still GM) when a choice was good, it was Nix (even if Whaley was holding the job title that would typically have responsibility)

Serious answer I'm willing to give Whaley full credit for any draft pick, but good GMs do evaluate talent from the lens of what the coach wants in a player or needs for his scheme.  So (for example) Ragland being traded to KC doesn't mean Whaley drafted poorly, it means Whaley drafted a player who fit Rex's wants and needs for his scheme, and doesn't fit here.  Of course, there is the counter-point that good coaches adjust to make use of the talent they have instead of trading it all and starting over.

20 hours ago, CanadianFan said:

Yeah it's like the schemes we use keep exposing our players. At some point, coaches have to be way more flexible in employing talent that we have - you can't friggin get every toy you want for every position there is. As much as I hate Belicheat, that's what he does every single year - adjusts his schemes for his talent! And what do our coaches do time after time?  try and change the frigging players out bec. they don't fit their schemes!  

We've already swapped out the secondary. we gotta replace our defensive line who are aging, and we got an old guy and undrafted players as our LB core. And we still need help on offense, QB, WRs. There aren't enough quality draft picks to get all the new starters for a whole brand new spankin team!

Belichick is in charge of his team's personell.  He brings in guys he wants to fit what he wants to do.

18 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That could never have happened though. No defensive minded coach like Rex would let another guy run a completely different scheme than he runs.

Tomlin ran a Tampa 2 in Minnesota when he was hired as the steelers HC and lebeau ran a zone blitz 34 as his DC.  It can't never happen if it already has happened.

I don't think ragland would have seen the field Sunday for Buffalo.  We were in nickel literally the entire game.  The defense they are building seems more dependent on play speed and gang tackling than on a big run thumper. 

If he had come to camp like 15 pounds lighter (as preston brown did), he may have had a shot.

And for those complimenting his coverage skills, he seems "OK" in man, but if you're wanting him playing a deep lying zone i think he'll be easily beat.  We play a ton of zone.

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The "sucks" call is crack for the masses here: Whaley sucked, the fact that most of his draft picks are no longer on this team means they all sucked, Tyrod sucks, and all the players we've cut or traded suck.  It's fashionable to excoriate Whaley, and fashion is important.

The fact that Tyrod is arguably the best QB we've had since Flutie and being grossly misused, Whaley drafted for the scheme and preferences of whatever HC he had on board, and most of the players cut or traded are playing well, often for teams that seem more talented than we are, is not relevant.

That seemed to be the question of some reporters LOL!  But get with the program.  When a choice was good, it was Rex (or Marrone).  When a choice was poor, it was Whaley (even if Nix was still GM) when a choice was good, it was Nix (even if Whaley was holding the job title that would typically have responsibility)

Serious answer I'm willing to give Whaley full credit for any draft pick, but good GMs do evaluate talent from the lens of what the coach wants in a player or needs for his scheme.  So (for example) Ragland being traded to KC doesn't mean Whaley drafted poorly, it means Whaley drafted a player who fit Rex's wants and needs for his scheme, and doesn't fit here.  Of course, there is the counter-point that good coaches adjust to make use of the talent they have instead of trading it all and starting over.

Thank god somebody understands what Whaley was doing. Overall, he was an excellent talent evaluator, and got the players to fit the schemes the coaches insisted on running. The reflexive Whaley hate here is moronic. 

• Thank you (+1) 1