Longtime NFL Scout Says Taylor Is "Below Average QB"

BuffaloRush

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Which year has Tyrod made it to week 17 with a chance? Or had double digit wins? Or thrown for 300 yds in regulation? Or beaten the Pats with Brady? Or gotten chances to start for multiple teams? Or made a single audible at the line? 

You forgot by far a losing record as a starting QB (Although it's really a team stat). Started for multiple teams....who quickly discover the just how nuch he stinks. 

Dennison says he wants to let the players do what they do best.  Really?  No roll outs?  No challenging the DBs?   Using FBs in the passing game when trying to get back into the game?  This man is uninspiring and is so behind the times.  No wonder Denver let him go.  Next season, please bring in young and imaginative OC.  Taylor was best firing the ball deep but this insisting making him a pocket passer is hurting the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You forgot by far a losing record as a starting QB (Although it's really a team stat). Started for multiple teams....who quickly discover the just how nuch he stinks. 

But at the same time multiple teams have thought he was good enough to give him a chance to start. Once Tyrod is out of here, I doubt he ever gets another chance to start.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

But at the same time multiple teams have thought he was good enough to give him a chance to start. Once Tyrod is out of here, I doubt he ever gets another chance to start.

Eat all of your mac and cheese now. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Says the guy with Fitzpatrick as part of his TBD name.  :thumbsup:

Fitz had much bigger balls than Trenative Taylor.          Didn't think he could possibly stink worse than the guy we saw in Baltimore last year but he's beat it 2x this year w Saints/Panthers game

Amazing displays of doo doo, at least he gets paid millions for 60 yard performances ?

Just now, Air it out Fitzy said:

Fitz had much bigger balls than Trenative Taylor.          Didn't think he could possibly stink worse than the guy we saw in Baltimore last year but he's beat it 2x this year w Saints/Panthers game

Amazing displays of doo doo, at least he gets paid millions for 60 yard performances ?

Yeah Okay.  Your Fitz tribute tells me all I need to know.  He's a bum!  Great guy though. 

49 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

According to WGR he's a franchise QB and none of us what we are talking about with Peterman. This is Lossman vs Edwards all over again. I remember Edwards rookie year and in preseason JP Lossman was struggling big time couldn't read a defense to save his life and get the ball out of his hands, but everyone remembered how great his deep ball was just like Tyrod and how he could run great just like Tyrod. JP was the superior athlete he just had to learn the game better even though he had been in the league for years at that point.

Edwards goes in and just takes what the defense gives him and starts running the offense and spreading the ball out all over the place and it was clear as day to me then and its clear as day to me now. For the system we are forcing Tyrod to be in there is no way he is going to succeed and we need a change of QB for a guy that has showed some promise and has a much higher ceiling then Tyrod as a prospect playing in this type of system.

Who at WGR says this?  I listen all the time and I don't think I've ever heard any of the on air people say that.

56 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Everyone who wants Peterman to see the field (myself included) is on that train because we know what we have in Tyrod Taylor. And it's not good enough. For those who argue Taylor starts because coaches believe he gives the team the best chance to win, there was another QB in New England who rode the bench for over a year for the same reason. Bill Belichek thought Drew Bledsoe gave the team the best chance to win and then Mo Lewis proved him wrong. Nobody knows anything, give Peterman the reins, if he bombs, we're in position to draft high. If he succeeds, draft competition for him and thank our lucky stars.

Getting 5 wins out of the gate has put us in this position.  If we were 3-6, then Peterman would be starting at LAC, and we would see if we need to use our #1s to draft a QB.  I think we need to see what NP can do.  C'mon coach, put him in!!!  

32 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm looking forward to what Tyrod can (can't?) do with a real quality receiving corps. If everyone gets/stays healthy, he'll have:

- Clay: not great, but certainly a top 10 ball catching TE

- McCoy: one of the best receiving threats out of the backfield in football

- Matthews: a quality #2 receiver for several years

- Benjamin: a quality #1 receiver for several years

- Zay Jones: a highly rated rookie who showed signs of figuring out the game at the NFL level just before getting injured

It'll be no excuses time for Tyrod. These guys - or at least 1 or 2 of them every play - WILL get open. Can Tyrod find/hit them? We'll see.

Didn't he have these guys yesterday at home.... After 10 days off? He had 56 yards passing. It was the worst Buffalo QB performance I can remember.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

So former NFL scout Greg Gabriel who is also a Western, NY went off on WGR's Nate Geary who was defending Tyrod Taylor.  Geary believes that Tyrod could be successul in a RPO offense, which makes sense.  Gabriel says he's been scouting Taylor for years and he will never be a winning quarterback.  Fortunately, he does think very highly of Peterman.  Gabriel is very outspoken and is not always right, plus there may be a reason why he's currently not employed by an NFL team, but he brings up an interesting argument:

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 7h7 hours ago
How long will it take for Sean McDermott to figure out he can’t win with Tyrod Taylor? I think the time is near. Defenses know that if you keep Taylor in the pocket he can’t find an open receiver and throw w/accuracy

Replying to @NateGearyWGR

It’s been evident to me since preseason. Everything I said would happen has. Keep Tyrod in the pocket and make him throw is the easiest way to beat Buffalo. Peterman was brought up in a full field NFL system. He makes much quicker decisions.

More

You are making excuses. Been studying this kid since he was in college. He isn’t and will never be a winning starter. He proves it every week. Sean should move on but he won’t until they are out of playoffs

Yes it will s fair. He is very limited and gets exposed by the minute. He’s no better than a backup in the league. Only playing no because they don’t have anyone better. That said I feel Peterman has way more upside.

C’Mon Nate. He would be close. Tyrod is a below avg starting QB. He struggles when kept in the pocket. He will never be a top winning QB

No surprise here and this jives with what my sources have also been saying for some time both about Taylor and Peterman. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Taylor has plateaued and teams will continue to exploit the many flaws that are apparent when you study the game film. Whether it's the happy feet in the pocket, terrible inaccuracy and just plain bad mechanics that simply can't be corrected.

Only a matter of time before we see Peterman starting and this offense (and entire team) will be rejuvenated and look totally different. Mark my words and yes I can't wait to say I TOLD YOU SO for those that have doubted the Peterman hype vehicle and potential stud franchise QB we stole in 5th round.

Here is Tyrod's scouting report from NFL.com

From the overview:

"Taylor is a hard working kid that has improved every year, but it is unclear if he can play quarterback at the next level. He has a quick release and a strong arm, but he is somewhat erratic as a passer. He also does not show the consistent sound decision making to be an efficient quarterback. His greatest asset is his athleticism and he should be able to contribute immediately as a running back, receiver or return man. A terrific senior season, where he completed nearly 60% of his passes, has helped his draft stock and he could sneak into the third round."

Bold emphasis is mine.  This sentence still rings true today which I think we all agree is Tyrod's problem.  Wish it were not so; I like the guy and want him to succeed.

39 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Who at WGR says this?  I listen all the time and I don't think I've ever heard any of the on air people say that.

I really hope you are joking. Dope and the Bulldog have been insufferable the last couple of days. And listening to them talk the past couple of weeks while the Bills were winning they didn't want to hear about any of the Tyrod blemishes. They act like all the fans are taking crazy pills for realizing that Tyrod is a gimmick QB that can't play the position at a high level in the NFL

There's something else going on with Mike Schopp's blinding support of Tyrod.  IMO, Mike is well informed and very smart when it comes to his football takes, but he is so far off the mark with Tyrod that I think there's more to it, I honestly do.  What is it?  Not sure.

I called in to the show today to talk about the Bills 3 and out percentage and the Bills 1st downs per play over the last 3 years under Tyrod & how the Bills rank close to the bottom of the league.  Does Tyrod stink?  No.  Is Tyrod good? No.  He's somewhere between below avg. & avg. in my book.  Schopp thinks he's good or nice as he says.  I think, based on what I've heard him say, Bulldog is more in my camp.....very avg.

Schopp actually said Tyrod is in the same class of QB's as Matt Ryan and Alex Smith.   Like I said I think there's something else going on with his blindless support of Tyrod because comments like that are just silly.  32 out of 32 GM's & 32 out of 32 HC's would all choose Matt Ryan over Tyrod Taylor, so to say Tyrod is essentially just as capable of a QB is just false.   

If you are thinking about a Qb change i look at like a bandaid.  Just pull it off and move on.  Now with Taylor I could see the coaches stand by him.  He has shown that after poor performances he can bounce back.  Now if you stand by him do it.  In the middle of the game i wouldnt go to Peterman.  Give the guy a full week of practice and gameplan.  The leash is shrining though.  A poor performance vs LAC i think the change is made in KC.

20 minutes ago, estro613 said:

There's something else going on with Mike Schopp's blinding support of Tyrod.  IMO, Mike is well informed and very smart when it comes to his football takes, but he is so far off the mark with Tyrod that I think there's more to it, I honestly do.  What is it?  Not sure.

I called in to the show today to talk about the Bills 3 and out percentage and the Bills 1st downs per play over the last 3 years under Tyrod & how the Bills rank close to the bottom of the league.  Does Tyrod stink?  No.  Is Tyrod good? No.  He's somewhere between below avg. & avg. in my book.  Schopp thinks he's good or nice as he says.  I think, based on what I've heard him say, Bulldog is more in my camp.....very avg.

Schopp actually said Tyrod is in the same class of QB's as Matt Ryan and Alex Smith.   Like I said I think there's something else going on with his blindless support of Tyrod because comments like that are just silly.  32 out of 32 GM's & 32 out of 32 HC's would all choose Matt Ryan over Tyrod Taylor, so to say Tyrod is essentially just as capable of a QB is just false.   

We know what the league thinks of Tyrod ... "backup." That's why the Bills were able to re-sign him (after declining his option year) without serious competition.  Did we hear any talk at all of any other NFL team interest in him coming in as a starter?

In other breaking news, turns out the sun is hot.

When you have no alternative, it’s easy to get caught up in wanting to believe, but, the dwindling diehards on this board notwithstanding, I think most people have known all along this wasn’t the guy.

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

In other breaking news, turns out the sun is hot.

When you have no alternative, it’s easy to get caught up in wanting to believe, but, the dwindling diehards on this board notwithstanding, I think most people have known all along this wasn’t the guy.

And Bills management, both old and new, recognized that too. That's why the contract was renegotiated.  It was a question of keeping the best available QB, not of keeping a franchise QB.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

We know what the league thinks of Tyrod ... "backup." That's why the Bills were able to re-sign him (after declining his option year) without serious competition.  Did we hear any talk at all of any other NFL team interest in him coming in as a starter?

No you're right.  His agent was free to shop Tyrod and they couldn't find better than the $14.5M the Bills offered him in '17.  That's why Tyrod came back an signed his deal which was a large paycut.  Good job by the Bills there by sticking to their value. 

The Bills owe Tyrod $16M in cash in '18 if they decide to keep him.  At that price I don't think they will & I don't see Tyrod accepting a 2nd paycut in as many yrs., esp. if the Bills find a way to sneak into the playoffs as the #6 seed.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Gabriel does come off as a know it all sometimes, yet there could be a reason why he's never held a position higher than scouting and there could be a reason why he's unemployed.

The reason he's unemployed is that he retired. He writes part-time and that's what he wants to do.

These guys didnt wake up one day and suddenly find themselves as the HC and GM of a football team. It sounds like they made an effort to upgrade and when TT took less- here we are. As bad as he looked the other day, at least he's capable of excitement. It's why he was refreshing and stood out in the 1st place and won that 1st battle with cassel and ej. Id rather TT than Hoyer,  cassel, or whatever other dumpster diving qb was the alt had he not renegotiated. They know what they have here. This year was supposta be terrible. We got some bounces and it's turned out all right.  Now things are evening out and TTs flaws are becoming apparent again. Too much knee jerk drama. It's not like these reports are exclusive content to TBD lol. They know what's up. When the tide turns no way TT is the man leading them. He might even be here next year as the starter for the 1st couple weeks if a rookie is waiting in the wings.. but we still have to play the season (s) to get to the payoff... and eventually playoffs

Edited by gobills1212

2 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I hear you but a seven year vet and a 3 year starter getting benched doesn't equate to a fast change to me. What I still don't get is Tyrod is a known commoditty at this point. If you are going to have him run this offense then you have to let him loose and let him run and use his athleticism. Even in Carolina Cam was struggling and is considered a franchise guy that is getting paid and they are now having him running arond a lot the last couple of weeks because it helps their team win. Apparently the Bills would rather lose the way they want to play then win ugly by doing things that don't appeal to their system.

Carolina is in their window. We haven't reached ours yet. Carolina probably thinks that if things fall right they could make a Super Bowl this year. We aren't close.

We should be teaching people our system this year. This early in the process that's how it goes. Not changing the system to go from maybe 7-9 to 8-8.

2 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Edwards if you remember correctly had his flaws especially after that Arizona game where he was knocked out. He was never the same after that, but he was more successful than JP Lossman was. I'm not saying Peterman is a franchise guy either, but it's clear he's already got more of a feel for running this offense than Tyrod does.

If nothing else maybe they can steal a few wins with him before some D.C. Finds Petermans kryptonite. 

51 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And Bills management, both old and new, recognized that too. That's why the contract was renegotiated.  It was a question of keeping the best available QB, not of keeping a franchise QB.

No doubt, but at this point there’s no reason to keep Peterman on the bench.

7 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

No surprise here and this jives with what my sources have also been saying for some time both about Taylor and Peterman. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Taylor has plateaued and teams will continue to exploit the many flaws that are apparent when you study the game film. Whether it's the happy feet in the pocket, terrible inaccuracy and just plain bad mechanics that simply can't be corrected.

Only a matter of time before we see Peterman starting and this offense (and entire team) will be rejuvenated and look totally different. Mark my words and yes I can't wait to say I TOLD YOU SO for those that have doubted the Peterman hype vehicle and potential stud franchise QB we stole in 5th round.

SaviorPeterman talking to his "sources"...

u2hoxebouzu28cau2ul8.jpg

Edited by Coach Tuesday

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

As soon as I saw this, I knew who it was. 

Yeah, he's a real windbag. It's fairly evident why he is no longer employed by any NFL team, and has not been for the better part of a decade in any full time role.

Now, Tyrod, to me, is a league average quarterback. That is an indictment of the talent at the position to be sure, but it is what he is. You have a small group of elite starters (Brady, Brees, Rodgers) and a small group of above average starters (Wilson, Prescott, Rivers, Big Ben, etc.) and then a bunch of guys like Tyrod, Dalton, Flacco, etc. that do some things well but have their warts.

The biggest problem with the offense this year is that the Dennison scheme emphasizes everything that Tyrod is not good at, and downplays his strengths. He is a square peg in a round hole. It's poor coaching. Rick Dennison and Juan Castillo are doing to Tyrod and the offensic line the EXACT SAME THING we were all up in arms about with Rex Ryan and the defense. They are taking their scheme and forcing players who do not fit it to try to execute it. The results are predictable. A good coach schemes around his players strengths.

Edited by JM57
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So former NFL scout Greg Gabriel who is also a Western, NY went off on WGR's Nate Geary who was defending Tyrod Taylor.  Geary believes that Tyrod could be successul in a RPO offense, which makes sense.  Gabriel says he's been scouting Taylor for years and he will never be a winning quarterback.  Fortunately, he does think very highly of Peterman.  Gabriel is very outspoken and is not always right, plus there may be a reason why he's currently not employed by an NFL team, but he brings up an interesting argument:

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 7h7 hours ago
How long will it take for Sean McDermott to figure out he can’t win with Tyrod Taylor? I think the time is near. Defenses know that if you keep Taylor in the pocket he can’t find an open receiver and throw w/accuracy

It’s been evident to me since preseason. Everything I said would happen has. Keep Tyrod in the pocket and make him throw is the easiest way to beat Buffalo. Peterman was brought up in a full field NFL system. He makes much quicker decisions.

More

You are making excuses. Been studying this kid since he was in college. He isn’t and will never be a winning starter. He proves it every week. Sean should move on but he won’t until they are out of playoffs

Yes it will s fair. He is very limited and gets exposed by the minute. He’s no better than a backup in the league. Only playing no because they don’t have anyone better. That said I feel Peterman has way more upside.

C’Mon Nate. He would be close. Tyrod is a below avg starting QB. He struggles when kept in the pocket. He will never be a top winning QB

Greg Gabriel knows more about Quarterbacking that Nate Geary.  Fact.  He was one of the "name" evaluators to put his head above the parapet last draft season and say "the 2017 QB class is good" when all the Network talking heads were ragging on it.  

I'd go with average rather than below average but his general point here is one I find myself in agreement with.  Tyrod can "win" in so far as he can keep a team hovering around .500.  20-18.  It is what it is.... he is an average Quarterback.   

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Tyrod needs another two or three years. He’s basically still a rookie QB in this system. 

Thats a classic,maybe the post of the week :)

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Everyone who wants Peterman to see the field (myself included) is on that train because we know what we have in Tyrod Taylor. And it's not good enough. For those who argue Taylor starts because coaches believe he gives the team the best chance to win, there was another QB in New England who rode the bench for over a year for the same reason. Bill Belichek thought Drew Bledsoe gave the team the best chance to win and then Mo Lewis proved him wrong. Nobody knows anything, give Peterman the reins, if he bombs, we're in position to draft high. If he succeeds, draft competition for him and thank our lucky stars.

My thoughts exactly and if he shows well those picks go to building the foundation instead of trading up.

Its not like his job is on the line or that he owes TT anything.

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yes but he never rose outside of scouting to a GM or Assistant GM like most of the good scouts do.   Also, why is he unemployed now and why hasn't he worked for years.  Just saying, he shares some very strong opinions on guys like Tyrod, yet he can't find a job?  Not saying he isn't credible, just pointing out the obvious

But so was he......pointing out the obvious.

10 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I hear you but a seven year vet and a 3 year starter getting benched doesn't equate to a fast change to me. What I still don't get is Tyrod is a known commoditty at this point. If you are going to have him run this offense then you have to let him loose and let him run and use his athleticism. Even in Carolina Cam was struggling and is considered a franchise guy that is getting paid and they are now having him running arond a lot the last couple of weeks because it helps their team win. Apparently the Bills would rather lose the way they want to play then win ugly by doing things that don't appeal to their system.

When teams force your QB to give up his biggest weapon(legs) and make him a pocket passer(which he isn't) all the "let him play his way" isn't going to help.

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Better then?  Okay. :thumbsup:

Yes he was better then we didn't have Tyrod.

He is also better "than" ;)

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He had a chance to take the NYJ to the playoffs in 2015.  What happened?  Peanut Butter Sandwich with Sand.......Choke!!!

lol. he got them much closer then your boy Tyrod has. what are you going to do when you find out he is not very good? you most likely will be among the last few dozen to grasp it.

Edited by Foxx

10 hours ago, Nitro said:

Dennison says he wants to let the players do what they do best.  Really?  No roll outs?  No challenging the DBs?   Using FBs in the passing game when trying to get back into the game?  This man is uninspiring and is so behind the times.  No wonder Denver let him go.  Next season, please bring in young and imaginative OC.  Taylor was best firing the ball deep but this insisting making him a pocket passer is hurting the offense.

.Just because you send a guy to the flat as an outlet doesn't make him the primary target.

Thats on the QB or QB's as they both choked(I know its checked) down.