Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

Last year it was the media's fault when he sucked. Now he's being held to higher standard because he's black ?

He almost makes as many excuses as the fanatical taylorheads here. Try not being at the bottom of qb ranking lists. Leave the race nonsense alone.

"Haters" disappear when you're actually good at your craft like Cam, Jameis, Watson, and Wilson.

No. He's held to a higher standard because he's a Bill. Our standard for satisfactory performance is near perfection. All other QBs need to do is have a game highlight completing a pass.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear, except for those that have clearly ethnic names (Nick O'Leary) or high national visibility (McCoy), I couldn't tell you what race most players are. Jordan Mills, John Miller, Ryan Groy, Joe Webb, Eddie Yarborough...don't know, don't care.

Yeah, but beware the Reggie Cleveland All Stars - guys with names that seem to say "I'm black" or "I'm white" and they turn out to be the opposite. http://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020509

....and the alleged Racist Ralphy hired James Harris and Marlin Briscoe....no traction and if that is his belief........sad...

Yeah, but Briscoe famously never got the opportunity to play QB. (He could have been an early incarnation of Tyrod?) As for James "Shack" Harris (per his Wiki page, that was apparently his nickname, although I never, ever, ever heard anyone call him that. I do remember Howard Cosell -- in his 1970s phase of openly rooting for any black QB to make it as a starter (actually kind of a noble cause for him) -- calling him "Jamie," which was a name nobody (including Harris) ever used ... he also didn't get much of a chance with the Bills despite the fact that he only had to beat out Dennis Shaw and Joe Ferguson. The knock on Harris was (and I am not making this up) his arm was "too strong" and receivers didn't like having to catch those bruising fastballs. I don't think the late 60s/early 70s Bills were any more racist than any other NFL team, but looking back at those days, I do think Briscoe and Harris have a point when they've argued that it wasn't a fair competition ...

Tyrod Taylor might be the 2nd best rushing qb I have ever seen behind early 2000s Mike Vick. Even if I was color blind I would be able to see that. He is an incredible runner. He is also limited as a pocket passer because of his height. He uses his mobility to keep plays alive and see down field. He reminds me a lot of Flutie....Not sure why everything in 2017 needs to be about race all the time.

.......if Matt Stafford were here and had thrown only 5 TD's but had 5 interceptions and 2 fumbles........a lot of the same people here on TSW that are dogging Taylor would be MAKING excuses for Stafford because he's a high pedigree QB who "looks" the part of a white franchise QB.

WRONG again.

He's held to a higher standard for a number of reasons and the key underlying factor is race.

He was a later pick because he was black..........he was discounted entirely as an option by most teams in FA because he was seen as gimmick "athletic"(black) QB.

Those teams were wrong.

Now that he is here, color is a factor for some..........but even for those who it is NOT......their opinions of him are impacted by his low pedigree.........which is very much related to race.

I've touched on this subject a lot lately...........the WR corps he's been saddled with is epically bad..........if Matt Stafford were here and had thrown only 5 TD's but had 5 interceptions and 2 fumbles........a lot of the same people here on TSW that are dogging Taylor would be MAKING excuses for Stafford because he's a high pedigree QB who "looks" the part of a white franchise QB.

McDermott and Beane have badly handled the WR situation and it's had a ripple effect offensively.........it has caused them to lose two games.......it may cause Zay Jones to become a waste of draft picks(MORE value than what they got for Sammy)........it has taken a bite out of Shady McCoy's quest for the HOF..........and it's got Taylor openly talking about basically not being given the same opportunitiy/benefit of the doubt that a white QB would get.

Well, I can't agree with that. Andy Dalton may be the whitest guy I've ever seen, and he's consistently (until last year) put up 10+ win seasons, but he's not exactly accumulated a ton of respect among Bengals fans or fans around the league.

He's held to a higher standard for a number of reasons and the key underlying factor is race.

He was a later pick because he was black..........he was discounted entirely as an option by most teams in FA because he was seen as gimmick "athletic"(black) QB.

Those teams were wrong.

Now that he is here, color is a factor for some..........but even for those who it is NOT......their opinions of him are impacted by his low pedigree.........which is very much related to race.

I've touched on this subject a lot lately...........the WR corps he's been saddled with is epically bad..........if Matt Stafford were here and had thrown only 5 TD's but had 5 interceptions and 2 fumbles........a lot of the same people here on TSW that are dogging Taylor would be MAKING excuses for Stafford because he's a high pedigree QB who "looks" the part of a white franchise QB.

McDermott and Beane have badly handled the WR situation and it's had a ripple effect offensively.........it has caused them to lose two games.......it may cause Zay Jones to become a waste of draft picks(MORE value than what they got for Sammy)........it has taken a bite out of Shady McCoy's quest for the HOF..........and it's got Taylor openly talking about basically not being given the same opportunitiy/benefit of the doubt that a white QB would get.

#Nope.

Those teams were wrong.

Wow a double dose of wrong. Impressive.

Because Tyrod struggled passing from the pocket at Va Tech = racism.

John starts the story and you sign off on it

Embarrassing. It's like a game of telephone.

Edited by Game Manager

Great comment to the BN article from Carl Wagner, specifically the final paragraph...

There's a problem with being a couple plays away from 5-0..

Last year, they were 5 plays away from being 12-3 heading into the Jets game in week 17. Taylor couldn't make those 5 plays.

In 2015, they were 3 plays away from being 10-5 heading into the Jets game in week 17. Taylor couldn't do it.

It's the frustrating enigma of his era as Buffalo's QB. In his 34 starts, their biggest loss came by just 16 points.

From 2007 to 2013, Buffalo lost 37 games by 10+ points, and 21 by 20+ points; averages of five 10+ point losses and three 20+ point losses per season. Compared to how bad they'd been
, with quarterbacks that routinely gave them no chance to win, Tyrod's been a blessing. He's lost only four games by 10+. Recall 2011, when Fitzpatrick lost 7 straight games by an AVERAGE of 18 points..

But in 12 of his 16 losses, he had the ball in the 4th quarter trailing by 8 or fewer points and couldn't pull out a win. He is now 6-13 in games decided by 8 or fewer points.

Every game where he gets the ball down by 8 or fewer points in the 4th quarter, I think, "here's his chance." I think he's sufficiently sick of losing and now he's going to make the plays winners make. But with all the missed chances to learn from, he hasn't gotten better at it.

So I know what I'm getting with Tyrod. They'll either have a win mostly locked up going into the 4th, courtesy of the run game or defense, or he'll have a chance to win it in the 4th, courtesy of the run game or his defense. If it's the former, he'll always play smart enough to avoid an epic collapse or allow a comeback a la 28-3. But if it's the latter, they won't win. And thus, the enigma of Tyrod Taylor..

Great comment to the BN article from Carl Wagner, specifically the final paragraph...

There's a problem with being a couple plays away from 5-0..

Last year, they were 5 plays away from being 12-3 heading into the Jets game in week 17. Taylor couldn't make those 5 plays.

In 2015, they were 3 plays away from being 10-5 heading into the Jets game in week 17. Taylor couldn't do it.

It's the frustrating enigma of his era as Buffalo's QB. In his 34 starts, their biggest loss came by just 16 points.

From 2007 to 2013, Buffalo lost 37 games by 10+ points, and 21 by 20+ points; averages of five 10+ point losses and three 20+ point losses per season. Compared to how bad they'd been, with quarterbacks that routinely gave them no chance to win, Tyrod's been a blessing. He's lost only four games by 10+. Recall 2011, when Fitzpatrick lost 7 straight games by an AVERAGE of 18 points..

But in 12 of his 16 losses, he had the ball in the 4th quarter trailing by 8 or fewer points and couldn't pull out a win. He is now 6-13 in games decided by 8 or fewer points.

Every game where he gets the ball down by 8 or fewer points in the 4th quarter, I think, "here's his chance." I think he's sufficiently sick of losing and now he's going to make the plays winners make. But with all the missed chances to learn from, he hasn't gotten better at it.

So I know what I'm getting with Tyrod. They'll either have a win mostly locked up going into the 4th, courtesy of the run game or defense, or he'll have a chance to win it in the 4th, courtesy of the run game or his defense. If it's the former, he'll always play smart enough to avoid an epic collapse or allow a comeback a la 28-3. But if it's the latter, they won't win. And thus, the enigma of Tyrod Taylor..

4th quarter comebacks are biased against black QB's. Just ask Russell Wilson.

Those teams were wrong.

He was discounted in college because he was a one read QB with wheels. QB's like that don't get drafted in the first round.

He was discounted in FA because all teams had seen of him was being a college one read QB with wheels. QB's like that don't get big money in the offseason.

There's so much revisionist history in here it's absurd.

Those teams were wrong.

Your whole post is made up in LALA land. You realize 70% of the athletes in the NFL are African American right? You don't see Caucasian or Hispanics rise against the NFL or it's owners for equal employment opportunity. The whole race card in the NFL doesn't work and is 100% BS. Lastly, I guarantee you if Stafford had almost 2.5 years of **** football here he'd be gone and/or abused the exact same way Tyrod is now by fans and the media.

All we want is a playoff contending franchise year in and year out in Buffalo. I can careless if your pink, orange, blue or yellow.

Edited by Real McCoy

Those teams were wrong.

My god Baldo this is just terrible.

Is this a real question?

I read the thread title, then skipped ahead to your post, where I will end my time here. Even having a discussion of this is ridiculous. If we have some racists in the crowd, why not have them start their own little thread. I just want to win. If anyone thinks he's held to a higher (or lower) standard, they are looking at the wrong stuff and listening to the wrong people.

Well, the last shred of me who wanted Tyrod Taylor to be successful is gone. He sucks. He knows he sucks. And now he's playing the race card. !@#$ him. I hope he gets knocked out the next snap he takes, and that he never takes the field again. What a !@#$ing !@#$.

I read the thread title, then skipped ahead to your post, where I will end my time here. Even having a discussion of this is ridiculous. If we have some racists in the crowd, why not have them start their own little thread. I just want to win. If anyone thinks he's held to a higher (or lower) standard, they are looking at the wrong stuff and listening to the wrong people.

I agree man this is horrible.

Sadly it was Tyrod himself that brought this up.SMH

What a horrible thing to try to get across just because fans want more from the starting QB that it has had decades of problems with. Its not a race thing, people don't care if someone is orange, green, yellow whatever. We are all humans, race means nothing to me, if you stink on my favorite team I will talk about it but to call Buffalo fans racist because we want better is just a horrible thing to do. Now the national media is going to blast fans in Buffalo as racist. Horrible simply horrible thing to do.

As if Buffalo fans havent had it hard enough with the longest loser streak in sports our starting QB calls the fans racist..

Edited by xRUSHx

I didn't want to read the article, but was almost forced to do so. Someone brought race into this. It was Tyrod if this article is correct. Is it true racist beliefs, or is he just grasping for excuses. Either way, I think much less of him. This saddens me.

This is what happens when people try to see racism evwrywhere. They start finding it where none exists and start using (imaginary) racism for selfish reasons.

What TT claims really cheapens claims involving actual racism.

I have always like TT but this is crap, just like TT's play.

Yay this topic!

racist. Don't deny racism just because you're a priveleged white cis white man.

I grew up poor, unprivileged and white...i don't hold that against rich people.

this whole racism thing to me is thrown around so people can get something

from it, i mean everyone is 'racist' sorry to say, I grew up in a poor neighborhood and was

in the minority and was called names and treated badly simply because I

was white, I don't hold that against anyone or have a chip on my shoulder.

It is what it is, the world is an awful place then you die, get over it.

Edited by Albwan

Well, the last shred of me who wanted Tyrod Taylor to be successful is gone. He sucks. He knows he sucks. And now he's playing the race card. !@#$ him. I hope he gets knocked out the next snap he takes, and that he never takes the field again. What a !@#$ing !@#$.

This is just sad. Are you drinking?

Racism is a funny thing. It's undeniably prevalent in our society in many directions because humanity naturally fears what's different, but our country is one of the select few in history (maybe the only one...?) to implement a race based slavery that existed for hundreds of years and reverberated in policy for at least another century (this was merely half a century ago) and people hate it when anyone pulls the "race card" because... why exactly? We're so much better for the last 50 years than we were for the previous 500?

People who don't like the race card being pulled should seriously examine why they dislike it so much.

I'm not saying the race card always deserves to be pulled, but these types of reactions are always so disturbingly intriguing.

Frankly I think he has a point

Take a look at Tyrod's history....before he was even drafted people were trying to move him to wide receiver and away from quarterback because of his exceptional athletisism

QBs that you never heard of and are out of the league were taken in front of him.....he stuck to his guns and here he is

Say what you want about how good of a qb he actually is.....I respect the hell out of him

he is an 8-8 QB. About it he does not have that thrive in him to win games when it in the line. No sense of urgency. Pretty much coaches are in love with him. They like those standards.

WRONG again.

I think there are more on this board then we care to admit that would be swayed by someone that "looks the part" regardless of if they played the part better.

Some actively racist, most simply subject to our own unconscious biases of grouping things based on similar looks

Racism is a funny thing. It's undeniably prevalent in our society in many directions because humanity naturally fears what's different, but our country is one of the select few in history (maybe the only one...?) to implement a race based slavery that existed for hundreds of years and reverberated in policy for at least another century (this was merely half a century ago) and people hate it when anyone pulls the "race card" because... why exactly? We're so much better for the last 50 years than we were for the previous 500?

People who don't like the race card being pulled should seriously examine why they dislike it so much.

I'm not saying the race card always deserves to be pulled, but these types of reactions are always so disturbingly intriguing.

Transplant to TT's rescue like always. He straight up F'd up, don't be that lame to mix it with your false proverb. Tyrod has easily got his far shake to prove himself as a starting QB for our team and still has a shortened leash to prove himself.

The only interesting thing about racism is when it is reversed for absolutely no reason. We all know exactly what racism is and this is not it at all.

Maybe, the white O'line men have a conspiracy to suck for Tyrod so Peterman can start? JM will chime in next that Beane is racist too for not getting more WR's?

This **** is flat out ridiculous.

Edited by Real McCoy

Transplant to TT's rescue like always. He straight up F'd up, don't be that lame to mix it with your false proverb. Tyrod has easily got his far shake to prove himself as a starting QB for our team and still has a shortened leash to prove himself.

The only interesting thing about racism is when it is reversed for absolutely no reason. We all know exactly what racism is and this is not it at all.

Maybe, the white O'line men have a conspiracy to suck for Tyrod so Peterman can start? JM will chime in next that Beane is racist too for not getting more WR's?

This **** is flat out ridiculous.

So much anger... why?

It's amazing that he's stupid enough to think people don't label Rogers and Carr as mobile. Hey dummy, they are mobile and are also great at passing in the pocket. That's what we want you to do. This moron thinks his "lack of statistical production" (as the article said) - is because it's not actually true and is only being said because he's black? Wow!

How are black QB's held to a higher standard when they are automatically thought of as only mobile (according to him)? That would be a lower standard - that would mean people automatically do not expect them to be pocket passers. His argument doesn't make any sense. This is an example of why incorrectly inserting race hurts the AA community - it causes people to become deaf to their hope to be heard and muffles the voices that need to be heard.

Edited by White Linen

By fans? Of course some of them do, but I see no reason to believe our coaches care about that. He's a small tick above avg for an NFL starter. I can imagine us drafting a competitor, though and if Peterman is showing good progress in practice, who knows?

This is what happens when people try to see racism evwrywhere. They start finding it where none exists and start using (imaginary) racism for selfish reasons.

What TT claims really cheapens claims involving actual racism.

I have always like TT but this is crap, just like TT's play.

It's become a disease. Started in earnest with the anthem protests. Aparrently there is racism in every decision or thought by a non minority. Perhaps Rodgers and Carr are thought of as pocket passers because they mostly throw accurately from the pocket. With anticipation and timing . They happen to be mobile as well.

You may want to brush up on your history. Slavery has existed in the earliest civilizations going back to 3500 BC and was common in the dark ages in Europe. It was also used in European nations and Bristish and French sugar kingdoms in the Caribbean. Britain outlawed slavery in 1807. At the end of the Civil war, the United States hadn't even existed for " hundreds of years". You have been stricken with the liberal disease knows as the " white guilt". No one on this board was alive when slavry existed in America, and many of us were not alive during times of segregation. Time to get over it and not see everything in life from a viewpoint of being a victim.

No. He's held to a higher standard because he's a Bill. Our standard for satisfactory performance is near perfection. All other QBs need to do is have a game highlight completing a pass.

Expecting your QB to throw for 300 yards a couple times a year and lead a fourth quarter come back once in a while is near perfection? Get a friggin grip. Im not a tyrod hater by any stretch and still hold out some hope(though very small hope) he could still be the long term answer but cmon. Since 2015 tyrod has 2 4th quarter comebacks and 4 game winning drives according to pro football reference. Over that same time period Derek Carr has had 11 4th quarter comebacks and 11 game winning drives. 300 yard or greater games over the same time period? 10 for Carr. 1 for Tyrod. Saying the expectation for Tyrod is near perfection is ludicrous. How about half of what Carr has done. Is that reasonable?

Edited by Billsmovinup

You may want to brush up on your history. Slavery has existed in the earliest civilizations going back to 3500 BC and was common in the dark ages in Europe. It was also used in European nations and Bristish and French sugar kingdoms in the Caribbean. Britain outlawed slavery in 1807. At the end of the Civil war, the United States hadn't even existed for " hundreds of years". You have been stricken with the liberal disease knows as the " white guilt". No one on this board was alive when slavry existed in America, and many of us were not alive during times of segregation. Time to get over it and not see everything in life from a viewpoint of being a victim.

Did you notice the phrase "race-based slavery?"

Yeah. Slavery has existed probably to some degree since man has existed. We conquer lands and enslave people.

The triangle trade and specifically the raced based slavery involving the African race is a different animal and, probably with the exception of Jews, is largely unprecedented in human history.

But thank you for the history lesson.

And also, slavery existed in the colonies in the early 1600s. Last I checked 250 or so years would qualify as "hundreds of years."

Edited by transplantbillsfan

For the record, I read the Bills Wire piece before I posted and agree that the Bills Wire piece defended his position on mobile quarterbacks.

My point is that is a small portion of the longer article and not even in the first section. While that can be one takeaway from the article, the aggregation seems like it is the only takeaway and a complete story about race. That is not the case. Other quotes also can be found in the various social media promotion.

Here is a free link to the long piece:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/14/tyrod-taylor-unfiltered-win-everythings-great-lose-want-crucify/

Here is a free link to the additional quotes that cover a wide array of topics:

Http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/14/tyrod-Taylor-Unfiltered-bills-QB/

Judge for yourself based on the totality of the comments.

Thanks, Josh

Josh, I think I actually like you. That's a rarity, believe me. Thanks for the post.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

Last year it was the media's fault when he sucked. Now he's being held to higher standard because he's black ?

He almost makes as many excuses as the fanatical taylorheads here. Try not being at the bottom of qb ranking lists. Leave the race nonsense alone.

"Haters" disappear when you're actually good at your craft like Cam, Jameis, Watson, and Wilson.

Hunh. I've always been extremely impressed by Tyrod as a person. Not as a quarterback but absolutely as a person. Seeing he thinks this makes me think a bit less of him.

I'm disappointed to see he feels this way.

It's not a big deal. But it's not a good look either.

Edited by Thurman#1