Hughes doesn't get why Jim Kelly is on the field in 2017

YoloinOhio

Funny how people are quick to protect the players' "free speech" on the field and in uniform, and then in the next breath declare Kelly needs to shut up and go away for exercising his "free speech" on his personal social media account on his own time.

Ah, the false dichotomy argument (I think). To lend import to your wild-assed accusation, would you please list the screen names of those who posted those contradictory statements? It makes for a pleasant and polite experience when facts are presented, and baseless assertions are driven off like hyenas in the light of day. Give it a go, my good man.

Except that is not at all what happened. Jim Kelly is apparently a paid Bills employee, and the Bills organization met Saturday night and decided upon a message of unity. Jim then went off the reservation, in his own self interest, and contradicted that message.

Gee whiz, sarge, there you go acting all rational and reasonable. That won't do with the hunyaks who just can't wait to pound some patriotism -- their brand of it of course -- into the heads of those who are actually using the methods of redress the Founders established, thereby proving that, once again, why America is the best when it's at it's best.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just following the lib playbook

Your lack of knowledge...of history, of political thought, of philosophy, of the Constitution and god knows what else, is summed up in your casual and flippant remark. If you had spent a fraction of the time doing actual study that you appear to spend on AM radio and dubious "news" channels, you might have learned that the very existence of the United States is a freakin' LIBERAL success story, that the nation was founded in opposition to European (specifically English) CONSERVATISM, where there was no freedom of expression, no freedom to bear arms, no freedom of the press, no freedom from the whims of a monarch and his royal bitches, no freedom of religion, little to no freedom to change the state one was born into, on and on. And it is people like you, with your sneering dismissal of the entire real history of this nation with that "lib playbook" sneer that are quickly assisting in turning the nation into precisely the sort of CONSERVATIVE hellhole that Europe was for millenia prior to the Enlightenment and the founding of the United States. And brother, I guarantee you this much, those Founders would NOT have stood to "honor" the freaking Union Jack.

Apparently you don't love this country for what it really is, so, as I'm sure you have at least thought to say to others, might I invite you to "Love it or leave it"?

I'm not a good guy unless I see freedom the way you do?

That's kind of the basic position of autocrats, totalitarians and fascists. And, yes, before anyone brings it up, you can find those sorts on the left right or middle.

Your lack of knowledge...of history, of political thought, of philosophy, of the Constitution and god knows what else, is summed up in your casual and flippant remark. If you had spent a fraction of the time doing actual study that you appear to spend on AM radio and dubious "news" channels, you might have learned that the very existence of the United States is a freakin' LIBERAL success story, that the nation was founded in opposition to European (specifically English) CONSERVATISM, where there was no freedom of expression, no freedom to bear arms, no freedom of the press, no freedom from the whims of a monarch and his royal bitches, no freedom of religion, little to no freedom to change the state one was born into, on and on. And it is people like you, with your sneering dismissal of the entire real history of this nation with that "lib playbook" sneer that are quickly assisting in turning the nation into precisely the sort of CONSERVATIVE hellhole that Europe was for millenia prior to the Enlightenment and the founding of the United States. And brother, I guarantee you this much, those Founders would NOT have stood to "honor" the freaking Union Jack.

Apparently you don't love this country for what it really is, so, as I'm sure you have at least thought to say to others, might I invite you to "Love it or leave it"?

That's kind of the basic position of autocrats, totalitarians and fascists. And, yes, before anyone brings it up, you can find those sorts on the left right or middle.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Put down the MSNBC and step away from the keyboard.

I'm not allowed to walk into work in my underwear either. I'd probably be sent home.

You're not a stripper then?

That's the problem with America these days. People don't want to do what they SHOULD do. We should have respect for our country. And the company that pays me millions of dollars to play a kids game should warrant my respect. The "SOB's are blessed to be part of the USA. Let's see how well they would do in the Middle East or India or a hundred other third world countries that would give anything for a tenth of the freedom, the opportunity and the life that the USA provides to its citizens.

Or maybe they'd be "sentenced" to France or Germany or Switzerland or Denmark or one of those other hell holes with low crime, high levels of satisfaction, tons of transportation, excellent health care for all, non-Franken food that's much better than the slop Americans mainly eat, low obesity, pleasant looking towns and cities, where you can walk about far more safely than here because not every inbred moron has the '"right to bear arms."

I was saying the same thing to a family member earlier.

NFL players taking a knee was starting to die out around the NFL. Then Trump had to make his purposefully inflammatory comments and reignite the whole thing 10 fold.

What was Trump honestly trying to accomplish? He had to know that it would cause exactly what happened. Was that his goal?

He was trying to keep the health care legislation and the Russia investigation out of the news cycle. And he succeeded because the media are like big friendly dogs who are constantly seeing squirrels. And we go right along with them. Arf! Arf!

Yes the problem with America is we have too much freedom. Good post. We should celebrate the freedom we have that other countries don't by not exercising those freedoms. Very logical.

:worthy:

Or maybe they'd be "sentenced" to France or Germany or Switzerland or Denmark or one of those other hell holes with low crime, high levels of satisfaction, tons of transportation, excellent health care for all, non-Franken food that's much better than the slop Americans mainly eat, low obesity, pleasant looking towns and cities, where you can walk about far more safely than here because not every inbred moron has the '"right to bear arms."

He was trying to keep the health care legislation and the Russia investigation out of the news cycle. And he succeeded because the media are like big friendly dogs who are constantly seeing squirrels. And we go right along with them. Arf! Arf!

:worthy:

And what would these glamour boys be doing in Switzerland, France, etc... play football (i.e. soccer) for a few thousand and free health care.

stop obsessing over what someone else thinks. who cares if they dont respect what you respect. let it go!!!

I guarantee most people who are offended by kneeling players have never done crap for a vet!!!!!

If they held Fish Lips to the same standards as they do "the players," or "Whaley," they never could have voted for him.

I pity John Kelly.

He'll be fine, he's a Marine. The Prez on the other hand...

In other words if you don't support disrespecting the flag on gold star mother's day we don't want you here

I guess when you havent experienced any loss or sacrifice to the ideas the anthem represents of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness its hard to care or see why it might matter to people that have.

Oh well, we had our time, time to hang up the hat and pass the torch. Good luck millennials, may your generation find some much needed wisdom in time.

It's your game now

I explained this earlier if I had known Thurman was going to be a idiot and act like that I would not have used that screen name. I changed my screen name like one month ago. Per Two Bills drive rules you can only make a name change one every 6 months.

I plan to change my name as soon as I'm allowed. As a Veteran I'm not supporting this crap any longer. Thurman is now dead to me.

He can kiss my Azz

What are you a veteran of, the Highway Maintenance Department? Because if you were a military vet you'd know from head to toe that your service was all about preserving precisely what the players are doing, even if you personally feel disgusted by it. Things that everybody agrees on don't need to be supported.

It's just sad. I will protest by loving the legends and current team and not attacking either one.

The fat psycho dictator in North Korea who has executed several members of his own family and has nukes is a real enemy.

The man killed his uncle's entire family.

But at least he does it with panache.

As a Bills fan born in the early 80s, obviously I am a big fan of Jimbo. Hughes is right, either you are one of us or you are not. If you are not, please get off of our sideline. That's what I'd expect of a player. They take offense if you criticize them or their teammates.

Same age. And well said. I'll always hold Kelly in high regard but not surprised at all that Hughes would stick up for his teammate. And great point about being a part of the team and on the sideline. I'm fine with having Kelly there but he needs to act like a teammate or coach then. You wouldn't ever hear a teammate or coach openly criticize a fellow teammate or player like that.

Except that is not at all what happened. Jim Kelly is apparently a paid Bills employee, and the Bills organization met Saturday night and decided upon a message of unity. Jim then went off the reservation, in his own self interest, and contradicted that message.

That's exactly what happened. Jim Kelly exercised his free speech on his social media on his own time and he was told to !@#$ off by the same people who are steadfast in protecting the free speech of the players on company time and in uniform. You didn't even refute it. You just made an excuse for why it was ok to condemn his free speech and not theirs.

Best way to bring people together is to exclude those with a different view.

I think you have missed the biggest problem with what Kelly did. It's not that he disagrees with some of the players kneeling. It's that he took his grievances to a public forum and outside the locker room. I'm sure there are plenty of disagreements going on in all 32 locker rooms over this issue. But teammates and coaches keep those disagreements in-house. If Kelly wants to be on the sideline and part of the team he should act like a teammate or coach and keep everything in-house.

Typical of these days. Piss and moan about something, but then criticize someone doing the same thing only on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Another person who misses the point of where Kelly is wrong with outing a teammate in public. I'd be fine with what Kelly was saying and how he went about sending the message if he were not around the team and on the sidelines. But since he is in the same position as a player or coach he needs to act like one.

Ah, the false dichotomy argument (I think). To lend import to your wild-assed accusation, would you please list the screen names of those who posted those contradictory statements? It makes for a pleasant and polite experience when facts are presented, and baseless assertions are driven off like hyenas in the light of day. Give it a go, my good man.

Jerry Hughes for one, smart guy.

Best way to bring people together is to exclude those with a different view.

And Kelly has what position on the 2017 Bills team? Starting QB? Free Safety? Mike LB? Long Snapper? Left Out?

He isn't a member of the team this year. He CAN be excluded if what he says and does can be considered detrimental to the team.

I support Hughes completely on this. Team first, and Jimbo isn't a member of this year's team.

these young punk players wouldnt be pulling this garbage if Jimmy Griffin were still mayor.

Now we're threatening to use the government to deal with "this garbage?" Give me a break! Enough of this BS!

Ahh The "Peoples Champ" Jimbo Superbowl no show Kelly. Couldnt keep it in his pants now cant keep it in his cheek. Mr I need my 15 minutes of fame once again. He never was a team player yet so revered around these parts. I wonder if Fran Tarkenton strolls the Vikings sidelines pumping his chest screaming I went to 4 superbowls 30 years ago look at me. And some wonder why the curse has continued,,,Maybe because the ghouls are still parading around the stadium sidelines. Time for change and a true New Era. Who cares who sits and who stands who works out and stretches or who is holding themselves in a bathroom stall while the anthem is played. No one has ever disrespected a member of the armed services in anyway on the football filed and anyone who feels disrespected is uninformed. Cant be upset with change because its gonna happen one way or another. McD said no plans to address the Kelly situation.............AT THIS TIME!!

Jim Kelly and the Bills have had a kind of symbiotic relationship.

The organization has wanted Kelly around because the team has sucked, and they liked to have a reminder there for the fans of the "glory days", a reminder of what could be. A reminder that "there's a chance".

Until these Bills achieve some success, Kelly remains a nice asset, and deserves way more respect than Hughes, Tyrod, McCoy, E. Wood, McDermott, and any body else you want to add, COMBINED.

Those guys will be virtually forgotten in 10 seasons. Like "Who was that running back in 2004? Oh yeah, I think it was Travis Henry!...No wait it was that guy, that guy McGahee...wait, I'm not sure....Was Greg Williams the coach then, too?"

Until they win a playoff game, these guys are just bodies filling out the rosters, so the league can field 18 games a week. Which is what guys in Bills uniforms have amounted to for almost the last 2 decades.

Edited by OJABBA

Is there a reason that you picked countries with a very low % of blacks?

Is there a reason that you picked countries with a very low % of blacks?

Yeah, sounds racist to me!

And all those nice features could crumble away soon.

I remember reading how Europeans would throw bananas on soccer fields to show their openness to black players. I think that was put to an end fairly recently.

Edited by OJABBA

I'd like that too!

Man that Jerry sure doesn't like QBs...

I think every year the team wants to move past the 90s stars being the face of the franchise, but none of them have been any good.

These Bills have won 2 home games, and lost a 9-3 crapfest. They have a long way to go before they will have toppled the 90's teams in the minds of fans.

Kaepernick was pretty much old news, a few players were still kneeling but no one really cared until trump had to open his big mouth. now look half of all the teams are kneeling, bills fans turning on their own beloved team and players, bills fans turning on eachother. Way to go trump and divide up the country even more

Yes. Standing up and holding your hand over your heart is going to change everything over in the middle east, end hunger and bring world peace. It's about as useful as someone on facebook saying "sending our prayers".

AGAIN!!!!!!

They are protesting the president, not the Flag or the vets.

This is totally the feeling I got this weekend. Living in Ireland I am somewhat removed from the situation there but we obviously heard your President's statement before the weekend games. What followed from almost every team appears to me to have been a reaction to the President's words as opposed to support for the original ideals as started by Kaepernick. I think this has been lost somewhere along the line.

The reason the protest surrounded the national anthem was because that was what the President was referencing in his speech. I don't feel for one minute that any teams were trying to dishonour the vets or the flag. From here I also get the feeling that this was a one off protest for most and that from next week things will revert to how they were. As I said, this protest felt totally different to others that had gone before.

Jim Kelly has as much right to speak out as everyone else but I really feel it should have been done in house. It sounds very unprofessional to have one of your all time great players publicly criticize a current (great) player. We are trying to build a team ethos moving forward and I don't think making this public helps. If anything it has just polarised people depending on their stance.

I hope as a team and a group of diverse supporters we can all move on from this and hopefully see our team challenging again in the next few years.

P.S. - This was the first time in like forever that we seen the national anthem played before the game. I watch on gamepass and they normally go to commercials during the anthem. Just an observation - although it may be different for you guys in Buffalo (you might well see the anthem every week).

This is totally the feeling I got this weekend. Living in Ireland I am somewhat removed from the situation there but we obviously heard your President's statement before the weekend games. What followed from almost every team appears to me to have been a reaction to the President's words as opposed to support for the original ideals as started by Kaepernick. I think this has been lost somewhere along the line.

The reason the protest surrounded the national anthem was because that was what the President was referencing in his speech. I don't feel for one minute that any teams were trying to dishonour the vets or the flag. From here I also get the feeling that this was a one off protest for most and that from next week things will revert to how they were. As I said, this protest felt totally different to others that had gone before.

Jim Kelly has as much right to speak out as everyone else but I really feel it should have been done in house. It sounds very unprofessional to have one of your all time great players publicly criticize a current (great) player. We are trying to build a team ethos moving forward and I don't think making this public helps. If anything it has just polarised people depending on their stance.

I hope as a team and a group of diverse supporters we can all move on from this and hopefully see our team challenging again in the next few years.

P.S. - This was the first time in like forever that we seen the national anthem played before the game. I watch on gamepass and they normally go to commercials during the anthem. Just an observation - although it may be different for you guys in Buffalo (you might well see the anthem every week).

The only time they really sure the anthem on TV anymore is primetime games. Other than now of course.

Before this goes any further, this isn't what he said at all.

that would go over better if you provided straight gouge on what he did say then.

Kaepernick was pretty much old news, a few players were still kneeling but no one really cared until trump had to open his big mouth. now look half of all the teams are kneeling, bills fans turning on their own beloved team and players, bills fans turning on eachother. Way to go trump and divide up the country even more

I know, right? Lost in the kerfluffle is the fact that Kaepernick, who started the whole thing, CAN'T be fired. He is no longer employed by anyone in the league, so they can't fire him.

I absolutely loved what Jerry Hughes said about Jim.

Jerry's play is/always has been, as undisciplined and misguided as his mouth.He could learn a thing or two from the old timers about what it means to be a Buffalonian. Personally, I think its a distraction to the game and has no place on the field. Leave your political beliefs at home, and dont stir the pot at work. They have 7 months vacation a year to do and say whatever they want.Preaching unity by imposing their beliefs is an oxymoron. Great message to today's youngsters....

Jim Kelly and the Bills have had a kind of symbiotic relationship.

The organization has wanted Kelly around because the team has sucked, and they liked to have a reminder there for the fans of the "glory days", a reminder of what could be. A reminder that "there's a chance".

Until these Bills achieve some success, Kelly remains a nice asset, and deserves way more respect than Hughes, Tyrod, McCoy, E. Wood, McDermott, and any body else you want to add, COMBINED.

I think that's horsesh** myself.

Kelly had more success as a football player. He also arguably lost the team 4 straight superbowls with his partying and playing hung over - he pretty much acknowledges that in his book.

He sucked as a husband and father until he found God and says he reformed. He has more football accomplishments to date but blanket unqualified "deserves way more respect" than 5 other men combined, as men I think McDermott and Tyrod to date deserve more respect for how they comport themselves.

"Has more fame" or "has more football accomplishments" doesn't equate to "deserves more respect" in my book. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, sounds racist to me!

And all those nice features could crumble away soon.

I remember reading how Europeans would throw bananas on soccer fields to show their openness to black players. I think that was put to an end fairly recently.

I don't think it's common enough to describe as "Europeans" but it has happened, yes. Not that long ago - 2014, 2015.

The fan involved in one incident was banned from that stadium for life, after being publically pwned when Dani Alves picked up the banana and casually took a bite, saying afterwards something to the effect of "my father always told me eat bananas to avoid cramp"

The real issue to me is the inability of so many to accept or respect any point of view that us contrary to their own.

Look at some of these comments on both sides, so filled with hate and rage.

Where does all this end? When the other side is the enemy we are all in big trouble and we ALL lose.

It's true. All this stuff (Protests and trumps comments) does is entrench people deeper in their beliefs. I keep hearing that this should open up prosuctive discussion on the subject matter, but there's nothing productive about any of the discussion. It won't end until the world ends. Maybe it will get better, but it will not end. Edited by RaoulDuke79

I don't think it's common enough to describe as "Europeans" but it has happened, yes. Not that long ago - 2014, 2015.

The fan involved in one incident was banned from that stadium for life, after being publically pwned when Dani Alves picked up the banana and casually took a bite, saying afterwards something to the effect of "my father always told me eat bananas to avoid cramp"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_association_football

Ahh The "Peoples Champ" Jimbo Superbowl no show Kelly. Couldnt keep it in his pants now cant keep it in his cheek. Mr I need my 15 minutes of fame once again. He never was a team player yet so revered around these parts. I wonder if Fran Tarkenton strolls the Vikings sidelines pumping his chest screaming I went to 4 superbowls 30 years ago look at me. And some wonder why the curse has continued,,,Maybe because the ghouls are still parading around the stadium sidelines. Time for change and a true New Era. Who cares who sits and who stands who works out and stretches or who is holding themselves in a bathroom stall while the anthem is played. No one has ever disrespected a member of the armed services in anyway on the football filed and anyone who feels disrespected is uninformed. Cant be upset with change because its gonna happen one way or another. McD said no plans to address the Kelly situation.............AT THIS TIME!!

amen

Keep winning then they can do/say whatever they want.

That's why Jim is on the field.

I don't have a problem with the players show of solidarity, but this. Well said Commonsense. You guys may have way more money than the guys of the 90s but you haven't done a thing.

Protest, amen, but with some things and with regards to some people, you have to earn your stripes before you open your mouth.

@mikerodak

Bills DE Jerry Hughes said Monday he does "not understand" why Jim Kelly is on the field before games, adding, "We are the 2017 Buffalo Bills. Were focused on the future. Were focused on winning games. If he wants to offer anything of encouragement to our team, to our quarterbacks, to our offense, please provide all of that. We could use all the encouragement we need to figure out how they won games back in those days and be successful as they were. But were trying to bring a team together, were trying to bring a community together, were trying to bring a nation together. And by dividing us, by dividing the team, that doesnt work."

Worth recalling that Jim Kelly's ties to Trump predate his time in Buffalo. He was briefly a NJ General before the USFL failed, and Trump reportedly housed Jim's family when he was in NYC for medical treatment.