Hughes doesn't get why Jim Kelly is on the field in 2017

YoloinOhio

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the problem with America these days. People don't want to do what they SHOULD do. We should have respect for our country. And the company that pays me millions of dollars to play a kids game should warrant my respect. The "SOB's are blessed to be part of the USA. Let's see how well they would do in the Middle East or India or a hundred other third world countries that would give anything for a tenth of the freedom, the opportunity and the life that the USA provides to its citizens.

Extolling freedom... right up until somebody does something with it that makes me uncomfortable. THAT'S the "problem with America these days."

Anyone that has a problem with what Jerry said didn't listen to his, or the other players, interviews on the subject. Obviously the team decided to support and respect everyone's stance on the issue. No one would have had a problem with Jim for standing up for what he believes in. The problem is that he attacked a teammate. Not cool Jim.

I like and respect Jimbo, but he needs to realize that just like any current player, he shouldn't go to the media with crap like this. He had an issue with Shady and the access to go talk to him about it. Instead he gave someone a headline. If he's asked about it directly, which I'm assuming happened, just say it's not what he'd have done but he plans on talking to the guys to get a better understanding.

Never knew there were so many Kelly haters here.

It is really a huge rad these days to show disrespect for the National Anthem and the flag. I guess as long as they disrespect them "with good intentions" it is alright. It is sad so many people just give into peer pressure and act like being disrespectful is progressive.

Americans always need a cause, and tend to have a desire to fight oppression, even if none exists. This is also sad.

Couple the two, and some folks will say and do anything. I really do hope Pegula bans Kelly, as taking a long break from watching the NFL would save me both time and money.

Never knew there were so many Kelly haters here.

Haven't been. I'd prefer it if he doesn't deliberately start drama with the team, though.

He publicly said he doesn't respect a guy who he shares a sideline with. Over such a stupid issue. Why put yourself under the microscope like that and drag others into needless mess?

This is why he was never a good leader. Just doesn't have the character for it.

It is really a huge rad these days to show disrespect for the National Anthem and the flag. I guess as long as they disrespect them "with good intentions" it is alright. It is sad so many people just give into peer pressure and act like being disrespectful is progressive.

Americans always need a cause, and tend to have a desire to fight oppression, even if none exists. This is also sad.

Couple the two, and some folks will say and do anything. I really do hope Pegula bans Kelly, as taking a long break from watching the NFL would save me both time and money.

These sentiments come and go. Nationalist sentiments have also been the "cool trend" at times. It's healthy and it's good to maintain an environment where people are free to express what they believe and argue peacefully.

There's just a time and a place, of course, and Kelly picked the wrong time and place.

I like and respect Jimbo, but he needs to realize that just like any current player, he shouldn't go to the media with crap like this. He had an issue with Shady and the access to go talk to him about it. Instead he gave someone a headline. If he's asked about it directly, which I'm assuming happened, just say it's not what he'd have done but he plans on talking to the guys to get a better understanding.

Kelly can stand up for what he believes. That doesn't mean he should call anyone out. Shady can stand up for what he believes too.

It is not a protest about the Flag or Patriotism.

The league had been working with players to turn from protesting and towards taking positive steps to address racial inequality. Rooger Goodell, Boldin, and several Eagles players had just visited groups in Philadelphia, including the police and the public defender, to discuss criminal justice reforms. In week 2 of the season, less than 10 players protested racial inequality during the anthem. Then Trump famously went off script during a rally for an Alabama senate candidate and called the players "sons of bitches." Why did he say this when the NFL was working with players, creating a dialogue, and attempting to address racial inequality - efforts that could ultimately end the protests during the anthem? I think it's obvious; Trump does this time and again because he believes it's politically expedient. His approval rating is historically low, he is boxing us in a corner in North Korea, he is losing his health care fight again, and he has no wall, etc. It's terrible that our leader relies on dividing us because he finds it meets his political needs. Don't be pissed at Hughes or Jimbo, they are merely responding to a scenario that was inflamed by Trump.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roger-goodell-visits-philly-to-talk-criminal-justice-reform-with-lurie-eagles/amp/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/25/nfl-anthem-protests-roger-goodell-president-trump-week-3-peter-king

There's just a time and a place, of course, and Kelly picked the wrong time and place.

Hughes also picked the wrong time and place. Funny how folks are on one side or the other, here. Jimbo probably should have kept his mouth shut, and probably annoyed some fans. But, the Hughes retaliation rant will probably get him 15 yards worth of annoyed fans.

They both should have kept it in house, and the folks playing sides are blinded by bias, IMO.

Edited by Paulus

Here's the thing with Jimbo. His opinion on this issue doesn't matter any more than yours or mine, yet because of who he is he has a platform, and some people actually think he's well-versed on the topic. I bet if you sat JK down and asked him why players are protesting he probably wouldn't be able to articulate it.

Here's the thing with Jimbo. His opinion on this issue doesn't matter any more than yours or mine, yet because of who he is he has a platform, and some people actually think he's well-versed on the topic. I bet if you sat JK down and asked him why players are protesting he probably wouldn't be able to articulate it.

I don't think the people "protesting" would do any better than Jimbo at articulating it. They are everywhere with the "cause."

whether or not they win games has nothing to do with this. Steelers will always have Bradshaw down there, Balt will always have the guy who lied to everyone to cover up a murder, niners won a lot after Montana but he's down there frequently.

Its just part of the NFL family approach. I can see Hughes point and I can see JK's point. Just like many family disputes, this will get worked out and forgotten.

JK also has helped with recruitment such as the Mario Williams signing, etc.

Edited by Webster Guy

Jim Kelly did nothing for the franchise. The singular goal of every team in every season is to win a Super Bowl. Everyone that doesn't win is a failure. 4 Super Bowl losses in a row is nothing to be proud of, it is just 4 consecutive failures. That joke is the one thing most casual fans know us for. I'm sick of the franchise trotting out players from the 90s. I want new stars that we can be proud of.

Yup..

They're doing something that is controversial and he gets hurt because someone criticized LeSean for ... stretching ... during the national anthem? Hughes needs to rethink his logic. You do controversial **** -- pissing off literally half your fanbase -- you better grow some skin. Jim Kelly has a right to weigh in. The protests are not mandatory; they're calculated, and they're controversial. I for one like seeing him on the sidelines.

Extolling freedom... right up until somebody does something with it that makes me uncomfortable. THAT'S the "problem with America these days."

And players are upset because some are upset at their actions. Goes both ways.