Hughes doesn't get why Jim Kelly is on the field in 2017

YoloinOhio

Jim Kelly and the Bills have had a kind of symbiotic relationship.

The organization has wanted Kelly around because the team has sucked, and they liked to have a reminder there for the fans of the "glory days", a reminder of what could be. A reminder that "there's a chance".

Until these Bills achieve some success, Kelly remains a nice asset, and deserves way more respect than Hughes, Tyrod, McCoy, E. Wood, McDermott, and any body else you want to add, COMBINED.

Those guys will be virtually forgotten in 10 seasons. Like "Who was that running back in 2004? Oh yeah, I think it was Travis Henry!...No wait it was that guy, that guy McGahee...wait, I'm not sure....Was Greg Williams the coach then, too?"

Until they win a playoff game, these guys are just bodies filling out the rosters, so the league can field 18 games a week. Which is what guys in Bills uniforms have amounted to for almost the last 2 decades.

Edited by OJABBA

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe they'd be "sentenced" to France or Germany or Switzerland or Denmark or one of those other hell holes with low crime, high levels of satisfaction, tons of transportation, excellent health care for all, non-Franken food that's much better than the slop Americans mainly eat, low obesity, pleasant looking towns and cities, where you can walk about far more safely than here because not every inbred moron has the '"right to bear arms."

Is there a reason that you picked countries with a very low % of blacks?

Is there a reason that you picked countries with a very low % of blacks?

Yeah, sounds racist to me!

And all those nice features could crumble away soon.

I remember reading how Europeans would throw bananas on soccer fields to show their openness to black players. I think that was put to an end fairly recently.

Edited by OJABBA

I'd like that too!

Man that Jerry sure doesn't like QBs...

I think every year the team wants to move past the 90s stars being the face of the franchise, but none of them have been any good.

These Bills have won 2 home games, and lost a 9-3 crapfest. They have a long way to go before they will have toppled the 90's teams in the minds of fans.

Kaepernick was pretty much old news, a few players were still kneeling but no one really cared until trump had to open his big mouth. now look half of all the teams are kneeling, bills fans turning on their own beloved team and players, bills fans turning on eachother. Way to go trump and divide up the country even more

Yes. Standing up and holding your hand over your heart is going to change everything over in the middle east, end hunger and bring world peace. It's about as useful as someone on facebook saying "sending our prayers".

AGAIN!!!!!!

They are protesting the president, not the Flag or the vets.

This is totally the feeling I got this weekend. Living in Ireland I am somewhat removed from the situation there but we obviously heard your President's statement before the weekend games. What followed from almost every team appears to me to have been a reaction to the President's words as opposed to support for the original ideals as started by Kaepernick. I think this has been lost somewhere along the line.

The reason the protest surrounded the national anthem was because that was what the President was referencing in his speech. I don't feel for one minute that any teams were trying to dishonour the vets or the flag. From here I also get the feeling that this was a one off protest for most and that from next week things will revert to how they were. As I said, this protest felt totally different to others that had gone before.

Jim Kelly has as much right to speak out as everyone else but I really feel it should have been done in house. It sounds very unprofessional to have one of your all time great players publicly criticize a current (great) player. We are trying to build a team ethos moving forward and I don't think making this public helps. If anything it has just polarised people depending on their stance.

I hope as a team and a group of diverse supporters we can all move on from this and hopefully see our team challenging again in the next few years.

P.S. - This was the first time in like forever that we seen the national anthem played before the game. I watch on gamepass and they normally go to commercials during the anthem. Just an observation - although it may be different for you guys in Buffalo (you might well see the anthem every week).

This is totally the feeling I got this weekend. Living in Ireland I am somewhat removed from the situation there but we obviously heard your President's statement before the weekend games. What followed from almost every team appears to me to have been a reaction to the President's words as opposed to support for the original ideals as started by Kaepernick. I think this has been lost somewhere along the line.

The reason the protest surrounded the national anthem was because that was what the President was referencing in his speech. I don't feel for one minute that any teams were trying to dishonour the vets or the flag. From here I also get the feeling that this was a one off protest for most and that from next week things will revert to how they were. As I said, this protest felt totally different to others that had gone before.

Jim Kelly has as much right to speak out as everyone else but I really feel it should have been done in house. It sounds very unprofessional to have one of your all time great players publicly criticize a current (great) player. We are trying to build a team ethos moving forward and I don't think making this public helps. If anything it has just polarised people depending on their stance.

I hope as a team and a group of diverse supporters we can all move on from this and hopefully see our team challenging again in the next few years.

P.S. - This was the first time in like forever that we seen the national anthem played before the game. I watch on gamepass and they normally go to commercials during the anthem. Just an observation - although it may be different for you guys in Buffalo (you might well see the anthem every week).

The only time they really sure the anthem on TV anymore is primetime games. Other than now of course.

Before this goes any further, this isn't what he said at all.

that would go over better if you provided straight gouge on what he did say then.

Kaepernick was pretty much old news, a few players were still kneeling but no one really cared until trump had to open his big mouth. now look half of all the teams are kneeling, bills fans turning on their own beloved team and players, bills fans turning on eachother. Way to go trump and divide up the country even more

I know, right? Lost in the kerfluffle is the fact that Kaepernick, who started the whole thing, CAN'T be fired. He is no longer employed by anyone in the league, so they can't fire him.

I absolutely loved what Jerry Hughes said about Jim.

Jerry's play is/always has been, as undisciplined and misguided as his mouth.He could learn a thing or two from the old timers about what it means to be a Buffalonian. Personally, I think its a distraction to the game and has no place on the field. Leave your political beliefs at home, and dont stir the pot at work. They have 7 months vacation a year to do and say whatever they want.Preaching unity by imposing their beliefs is an oxymoron. Great message to today's youngsters....

Jim Kelly and the Bills have had a kind of symbiotic relationship.

The organization has wanted Kelly around because the team has sucked, and they liked to have a reminder there for the fans of the "glory days", a reminder of what could be. A reminder that "there's a chance".

Until these Bills achieve some success, Kelly remains a nice asset, and deserves way more respect than Hughes, Tyrod, McCoy, E. Wood, McDermott, and any body else you want to add, COMBINED.

I think that's horsesh** myself.

Kelly had more success as a football player. He also arguably lost the team 4 straight superbowls with his partying and playing hung over - he pretty much acknowledges that in his book.

He sucked as a husband and father until he found God and says he reformed. He has more football accomplishments to date but blanket unqualified "deserves way more respect" than 5 other men combined, as men I think McDermott and Tyrod to date deserve more respect for how they comport themselves.

"Has more fame" or "has more football accomplishments" doesn't equate to "deserves more respect" in my book. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, sounds racist to me!

And all those nice features could crumble away soon.

I remember reading how Europeans would throw bananas on soccer fields to show their openness to black players. I think that was put to an end fairly recently.

I don't think it's common enough to describe as "Europeans" but it has happened, yes. Not that long ago - 2014, 2015.

The fan involved in one incident was banned from that stadium for life, after being publically pwned when Dani Alves picked up the banana and casually took a bite, saying afterwards something to the effect of "my father always told me eat bananas to avoid cramp"

The real issue to me is the inability of so many to accept or respect any point of view that us contrary to their own.

Look at some of these comments on both sides, so filled with hate and rage.

Where does all this end? When the other side is the enemy we are all in big trouble and we ALL lose.

It's true. All this stuff (Protests and trumps comments) does is entrench people deeper in their beliefs. I keep hearing that this should open up prosuctive discussion on the subject matter, but there's nothing productive about any of the discussion. It won't end until the world ends. Maybe it will get better, but it will not end. Edited by RaoulDuke79

I don't think it's common enough to describe as "Europeans" but it has happened, yes. Not that long ago - 2014, 2015.

The fan involved in one incident was banned from that stadium for life, after being publically pwned when Dani Alves picked up the banana and casually took a bite, saying afterwards something to the effect of "my father always told me eat bananas to avoid cramp"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_association_football

Ahh The "Peoples Champ" Jimbo Superbowl no show Kelly. Couldnt keep it in his pants now cant keep it in his cheek. Mr I need my 15 minutes of fame once again. He never was a team player yet so revered around these parts. I wonder if Fran Tarkenton strolls the Vikings sidelines pumping his chest screaming I went to 4 superbowls 30 years ago look at me. And some wonder why the curse has continued,,,Maybe because the ghouls are still parading around the stadium sidelines. Time for change and a true New Era. Who cares who sits and who stands who works out and stretches or who is holding themselves in a bathroom stall while the anthem is played. No one has ever disrespected a member of the armed services in anyway on the football filed and anyone who feels disrespected is uninformed. Cant be upset with change because its gonna happen one way or another. McD said no plans to address the Kelly situation.............AT THIS TIME!!

amen

Keep winning then they can do/say whatever they want.

That's why Jim is on the field.

I don't have a problem with the players show of solidarity, but this. Well said Commonsense. You guys may have way more money than the guys of the 90s but you haven't done a thing.

Protest, amen, but with some things and with regards to some people, you have to earn your stripes before you open your mouth.

@mikerodak

Bills DE Jerry Hughes said Monday he does "not understand" why Jim Kelly is on the field before games, adding, "We are the 2017 Buffalo Bills. Were focused on the future. Were focused on winning games. If he wants to offer anything of encouragement to our team, to our quarterbacks, to our offense, please provide all of that. We could use all the encouragement we need to figure out how they won games back in those days and be successful as they were. But were trying to bring a team together, were trying to bring a community together, were trying to bring a nation together. And by dividing us, by dividing the team, that doesnt work."

Worth recalling that Jim Kelly's ties to Trump predate his time in Buffalo. He was briefly a NJ General before the USFL failed, and Trump reportedly housed Jim's family when he was in NYC for medical treatment.