Poyer and Hyde

LabattBlue

I came away highly impressed. I was very concerned about whether the two would be an upgrade over our previous pair. Even though they appeared to be better, on paper at least, I wondered if it would translate on the field. For one game at least, it surely did. I was particularly impressed with Poyer's run support.

I would love to think we've found our safety pairing for the next several years to come...

I wonder if that has anything to do with coaching?

....not a chance......the "pundits" here labeled Frazier as a glorified DB Coach that had no business as DC......and it's safe to assume McD blindly and gratuitously hired Frazier because of McD's limited defensive knowledge, including his meaningless tutelage under the legendary DC Jim Johnson.....got it.....

I know it is just a one game sample, but it seems like Poyer and Hyde are going to be a decent tandem. Hopefully they can keep up the good play.

Not sure if Whaley gets the credit for signing them, but if so, it was a nice gift to the Bills as he was about to get the boot.

Poyer and Hyde look like they were born to play this scheme, Tre White and Gaines were also extremely impressive. This McDermott guy seems like he knows exactly what players he needs to be effective in his scheme. We stay healthy, we are going to be a tough defense for any team.

....not a chance......the "pundits" here labeled Frazier as a glorified DB Coach that had no business as DC......and it's safe to assume McD blindly and gratuitously hired Frazier because of McD's limited defensive knowledge, including his meaningless tutelage under the legendary DC Jim Johnson.....got it.....

wasn't he a glorified head Coach as well?

Dr. Poyer and Mr. Hyde. :ph34r:

Trendy.

Good enough for now.

They do seem to play attached mentally. Which is nice.

Fun to watch them again this week. all the secondary actually are worth the look.

Bills we be bringing some pressure for Cams tired squeaky arm.

is it okay to be enthusiastic about the secondary yet?

Watching Poyer's athleticism reminds me of having #20 Henry Jones back there

you darned old f'rs !!

But "it was just the Jets"....

oh. yes. that is correct. nevermind..

Edited by 3rdand12

I loved what I saw from those two. My concern now is that we released Mabin and are severely lacking in corner depth especially with Gaines being a a bit of an injury risk.

I'm a little nervous that if one goes down we start cycling our safeties in the corner rotation and we set ourselves back like we did in years past.

Corners are like the one position you can't have enough of and I hope we're not shooting our selves in the foot.

Edited by likei've

I loved what I saw from those two. My concern now is that we released Mabin and are severely lacking in corner depth especially with Gaines being a a bit of an injury risk.

I'm a little nervous that if one goes down we start cycling our safeties in the corner rotation and we set ourselves back like we did in years past.

Corners are like the one position you can't have enough of and I hope we're not shooting our selves in the foot.

--------------

Mabin was brought back today to the PS. These 2 are very quick and rangy. They're not going to be confused with the prototypical thumper but they tackle extremely well and anticipate throws well. Ideal players for the scheme being employed by McD. Whether McD's vision for this team pans out is yet TBD, but it's refreshing to finally have a coach with a plan and the ability to carry it out.

Mabin was signed to the PS so it's not that bad.

Hot take maybe but the QB and receivers weren't going to challenge the defensive backfield anyway

Look, I'm not saying the Bills played the 2007 Pats offense, I am saying McDermott knows how to coach the backend of the D. Frazier does as well. They won't look great every game, but I expect in game adjustments like we have not seen in a long time.

Look, I'm not saying the Bills played the 2007 Pats offense, I am saying McDermott knows how to coach the backend of the D. Frazier does as well. They won't look great every game, but I expect in game adjustments like we have not seen in a long time.

We had the #4 defense in 2014 and shut down Peyton and Rodgers.

I haven't seen enough to agree or disagree with you. All I am saying is that it's too early to tell if the Poyer-Hyde will be effective. Not denying they looked decent in the first game

I came away highly impressed. I was very concerned about whether the two would be an upgrade over our previous pair. Even though they appeared to be better, on paper at least, I wondered if it would translate on the field. For one game at least, it surely did. I was particularly impressed with Poyer's run support.

I would love to think we've found our safety pairing for the next several years to come...

I really like these two guys as well, and believe they will be effective into their 30's. However, injuries do happen in this league, and we are stuck with mediocre talent behind them. We will be up s**** creak if either goes down with a significant injury. The lack of depth and quality behind them scares the hell out of me.

Hopefully Beane does a great job of brining in young talent in the later rounds to develop behind these guys so we have some options in the future in case they do go down.

If I were a safety I'd love to play in McDermott's system they get to have a lot of fun back there. I still think that grabbing Malik Hooker would have been a good move for us but obviously that remains to be seen. If the guy turns out to be the generational talent that many think, he sure would be a perfect fit for a system like this.