Power Rankings

How do you...?

How do you...?

Wait...

How do you beat the Polls Week 4 Number 1 team in the rankings and not move up?

How do you step back as a reviewer of this poll, see that only one team in the NFL has beaten half of your current top 4, and stick that 3-1 team in the middle of the pack?!

And this is why people shouldn't pay too much attention to "power rankings". The word "power" is added, because they cannot refer to them simply as "rankings". Otherwise, the Bills would be near the top, and there would only be on "ranking" needed.

"Power rankings" aren't as cut and dry as "What's your record?", and "Who have you beaten/lost to?". The rankings are very heavily influenced in reputation, and not quite as much by "what have you done lately" as we would like or assume these rankings to be. This allows multiple outlets to cash in on clicks. That's why you have a team ranked differently by different media outlets. These are nothing more than click bait "power rankings".

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

And this is why people shouldn't pay too much attention to "power rankings". The word "power" is added, because they cannot refer to them simply as "rankings". Otherwise, the Bills would be near the top, and there would only be on "ranking" needed.

"Power rankings" aren't as cut and dry as "What's your record?", and "Who have you beaten/lost to?". The rankings are very heavily influenced in reputation, and not quite as much by "what have you done lately" as we would like or assume these rankings to be.

Someone should start a power ranking and call it "Real Power Rankings".

:lol:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I've been considering it.

Basically, a simulation that randomly ranks the teams, then judges how far off they are from other teams above/below them based on objective metrics, giving them a positive/negative score for that particular placement. Run that a million times, and the cumulative score should allow reasonable rankings.

We have that already. It's called "standings".

Most halfway knowledgeable fans can tell which teams at or near the top of the rankings are for real, and which ones have been lucky or will flame out, on any given year. As the season goes on, it becomes much much easier to figure out. 4 games is a small sample size, but not too small. When you beat two of the best teams in the league this year, and over the course of the last few years, on those 4 games, you can confidently believe that said team is closer to being "for real" than it is closer to "flaming out".

The problem with simply checking "standings" is that there's really no debate. You are what your record says you are. But with "power rankings", there's plenty of room for debate. They're like argumentative essays in a way. And in today's social media, internet driven business world, facts don't sell as much as opinions (unfortunately). That's why ESPN is getting blasted in the comments section. The opinion given by the source doesn't necessarily match that of the knowledgeable reader. But they don't care, because having a controversial opinion = $$$$$ on the internet. As long as people are stupid enough to continue putting too much focus on the wrong things, media outlets like ESPN will thrive.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

...Chris Simms has them at #10...........

10. Buffalo Bills

Last Week's Ranking: 15

Hey, I'll admit the Buffalo Bills have surprised me this season, and I'll give them much respect. What they're doing on the defensive side of the ball is incredible. I just can't say enough about Sean McDermott and the way he's raised the level of discipline on that side of the ball.

This isn't a team with a lot of superstars on defense, but it forces teams to play mistake-free football. When they don't, they pay. The Bills proved that with a major win over the Atlanta Falcons at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Micah Hyde had two interceptions, and Jerry Hughes had a sack-fumble that was returned for a touchdown. These were turning points in the game, and they show how this Buffalo defense can force a team to beat itself with mistakes.

ESPN has them at 15, which is probably fair. 2 and 3 are just people joking around.

When Tolbert and Zay Jones are an injury away from your top skill position starters, you cant crack the top 10.

At the same time they are a drop from being 4 and 0. They have 2 GREAT wins as well. It's not like they are beating up on the 49ers. Even the Jets are a little better than we all thought.

i know many keep bringing up the loss of jones during the falcons game, but it's not like the bills were at full strength. they entered into the game without their starting lt and de.

Also our starting WLB and starting WR during the game.

But the Falcons had put up 3 points by the time Jones was hurt and only 10 when Sanu was hurt. It's not like they were moving the ball and then stopped with the injuries.

Also our starting WLB and starting WR during the game.

But the Falcons had put up 3 points by the time Jones was hurt and only 10 when Sanu was hurt. It's not like they were moving the ball and then stopped with the injuries.

right. don't get me wrong. i completely understand how important jones and sanu are to that offense, but they still had the better qb, and likely the better wrs, even with the duo out.

ESPN has them at 15, which is probably fair. 2 and 3 are just people joking around.

When Tolbert and Zay Jones are an injury away from your top skill position starters, you cant crack the top 10.

Based on win loss record and strength of opponents the Bills are closer to 5 to 8

15 is for the 2-2 teams struggling to win the 2.

The AP Pro32 rankings are out as well. The Bills are #11, which to me is fine, but what the hell is Jenny Vrentas smoking? She has them at #17. 10 of the other 11 voters have them no worse than 11, and the one other guy has them at 13.

So this is the week that we like power rankings right? 4 weeks ago they were BS but now they are great right?

How true.

But we know the Power Ratings are ALWAYS BS. There is already a damn good system in place: The Standings.

How true.

But we know the Power Ratings are ALWAYS BS. There is already a damn good system in place: The Standings.

Nonsense. Those have no room for baseless conjecture, whimsical expert opinion, or biases for/against certain teams.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

PR are for betting ONLY

How does a PR influence betting? I'm seriously asking. I can't see how anyone with even half a clue would use PR in making a bet. And, which PR rating would they use? They aren't used in setting the spread to any degree, as far as I know.

Edited by The Dean

How does a PR influence betting? I'm seriously asking. I can't see how anyone with even half a clue would use PR in making a bet. And, which PT rating would they use? They aren't used in setting the spread to any degree, as far as I know.

"I bet people who believe this Power Ranking are stupid."