What's wrong with the Pats Defense? Plenty

YoloinOhio

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, their "fans" will take solace in that, but by the end of this season I hope they'll look like this: :bag:

giphy.gif

I like that., There's a subreddit for things like this. I can't remember which one. Edit: found it https://www.reddit.com/r/breathinginformation/

12 man league, $50 per person. I won last year, so I'll be in the green for a while.

Not sure how this didn't make it into the thread yet...

At least we got to see my dawg Gilmore on tv tho 1f937-1f3fe-200d-2642-fe0f.png1f602.png

That's a fantastic tweet

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

none of those years did they look bad. Last night they looked really bad. There is a difference.

Well when you have posters constantly griping about how great he was (and he never was), how he will be this perennial pro bowler in New England and it keeps getting shoved down our throats, you love it when he's exposed again for who he really is an average corner.

They didn't look bad in 2003 when they lost to us 31-0? Or to the Dolphins in the opener in 2014 33-20? How about when the Pats were finished after getting destroyed by the Chiefs a few years back, then right back in the playoffs? Yeah they looked bad but lets give props to the Chiefs team, smothering the WR, when you have a S like Eric Berry covering Gronk it definitely helps, I fully expect Hyde to shadow him when we play. Maybe the Pats are finally done but we've seen this happen countless times and never seems to end, one day it will but the more logical explanation would be they got out coached this time around and expect the Saints to get a 50 burger on them, just my opinions which I hope I'm completely wrong since it would be awesome to see them crumble.

@Eric_Edholm

The #Patriots have some issues defensively — and it's not an overreaction to one game: http://www.profootballweekly.com/lists/2017/09/08/f60466be8a714bd0b5ef79e68cc2844e/index.xml

I actually hadn't paid much attention to details surrounding the Pats given all the "undefeated" talk going around in the off-season. I assumed they would be very good. However after seeing so many no-names on that defense last night, I'm perplexed where it came from. I don't think they're that good...

13-3, relatively easy. Last night was a fluke.

Collinsworth made an interesting statement last night emphasizing they added a lot of "talent" but it's not the same "team" as the one that won last season.

By itself that statement is obvious and not at all insightful. In the way he emphasized the word team, I infered that adding a bunch of talent is less important in his view than building a symbiotic team of complimenting pieces.

If you look at how Andy Reid has fared against the Patriots, he's actually kept most games pretty close. His record of 2-6 isn't great but he's 2-1 now as the Chiefs coach against the Pats. The only real blow out was the first matchup in 2003 when the Patriots beat the Eagles 31-10. Here's the rest of the match-ups:

February 6, 2005: Patriots 24, Eagles 21 - Super Bowl, Eagles came within 3 with 1:48 remaining and McNabb threw a int.

November 25, 2007: Patriots 31, Eagles 28 - AJ Feely was the starting QB and threw 2 ints on the final two possessions.

November 27, 2011: Patriots 38, Eagles 20 - Again starting backup QB Vince Young

September 29, 2014: Chiefs 41, Patriots 14 - Monday Night game

January 16, 2015: Patriots 27, Eagles 20 - Playoff game

Why was Reid coach of KC in September of 2014, but coach of the Eagles in 2015? Something seems off here.

in 2014 they beat the Pats* 41-14 and people questioned whether the Pats* were done. KC finished that year 9-7 and out of the playoffs :)

The bad-KC looks good.

KC typically looks good in the regular season under Reid/Smith...if I am not mistaken Alex Smith is 2nd or 3rd in the NFL in wins since 2011 during the regular season. They almost are assuredly going to make the playoffs but almost just as assuredly going to lose in the first or second round too, so the pick will be low-mid 20s probably.

Edited by matter2003

Collinsworth made an interesting statement last night emphasizing they added a lot of "talent" but it's not the same "team" as the one that won last season.

By itself that statement is obvious and not at all insightful. In the way he emphasized the word team, I infered that adding a bunch of talent is less important in his view than building a symbiotic team of complimenting pieces.

So, in other words (McD's to be precise) "We're building a team, we're not accumulating talent."?

Yup, i thought that was a good point by CC. What happened last year, 3yrs ago, or 10yrs ago doesnt matter in the NFL. Its a new team. Pats had a lot of turnover due to injuries/roster decisions. Just bc players responded to adversity 3 years ago doesnt mean the new group of players will.

Yup, i thought that was a good point by CC. What happened last year, 3yrs ago, or 10yrs ago doesnt matter in the NFL. Its a new team. Pats had a lot of turnover due to injuries/roster decisions. Just bc players responded to adversity 3 years ago doesnt mean the new group of players will.

It's all irrelevant. Bellichick will figure out how to win with whoever he has, how to attack teams weaknesses while hiding his own, and by midseason they will be running roughshod over teams on their way to the playoffs---like they have done for 15 years on repeat, unfortunately for us and the rest of the AFCE

Edited by matter2003

@Eric_Edholm

The #Patriots have some issues defensively — and it's not an overreaction to one game: http://www.profootballweekly.com/lists/2017/09/08/f60466be8a714bd0b5ef79e68cc2844e/index.xml

:huh:

This is clearly #fakenews The Bills are the only NFL team allowed to have suspect depth! Every other team in the NFL is six deep at WLB, MLB, SLB, CB, S, QB, RB, FB, and WR. Some teams are only five deep at K and PR, but otherwise...

I digress...

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

They didn't look bad in 2003 when they lost to us 31-0? Or to the Dolphins in the opener in 2014 33-20? How about when the Pats were finished after getting destroyed by the Chiefs a few years back, then right back in the playoffs? Yeah they looked bad but lets give props to the Chiefs team, smothering the WR, when you have a S like Eric Berry covering Gronk it definitely helps, I fully expect Hyde to shadow him when we play. Maybe the Pats are finally done but we've seen this happen countless times and never seems to end, one day it will but the more logical explanation would be they got out coached this time around and expect the Saints to get a 50 burger on them, just my opinions which I hope I'm completely wrong since it would be awesome to see them crumble.

Several people downplay this loss and bring up the 2014 Dolphins game. That 2014 game was on the road for the Pats against a divisional opponent. Divisional games can be tricky; and a divisional opponents home opener can be really tricky.

The Pats just got trounced in their home opener vs a non-divisional opponent that had never won a game at Gillette Stadium and had lost something like five of their last seven games to the Pats. The Pats got embarrassed.

This entire board sounds like a jealous ex girlfriend.

Give me a break thats sports. Who roots for former players to succeed on a rival team. Maybe my wife does.

You want me to root for Mike G to make the pro bowl? I hope they all fall flat on their faces.

Im sure Boston fans were rooting for Clemens to win on the Yankees.

I was more interested in the mediocre play of Brady. Normally when he struggles it's because he is being pressured heavily. Didn't see that last night. Not sure if it's just getting enough time with Wr's or what..but it didn't look right.

His very first throw of the night, zero pressure, wide open receiver, behind him wrong shoulder & too high, it was as bad a throw as a pro can have...then that idiot announcer said something about opening night jitters, seriously use that as an excuse?

"There were mental mistakes in the second half, from 12 men on the field on a desperation third down late in the fourth quarter, to $65 million corner Stephon Gilmore blowing his outside vertical coverage on Tyreek Hills 75-yard touchdown."[/size]

:lol:

That sure looked like Gilmore expected the safety to be there over the top. The safety dragged another receiver across the middle of the field all the way to where the other safety was. It just looked odd.

Just rewatched it. There was another WR running free opposite Hill. Something was wrong with that defense on the play. It totally left open both of the deep sidelines.

Edited by BarleyNY

This entire board sounds like a jealous ex girlfriend.

This would make any sense at all if Gilmore wasn't already so disliked while he was here.

There's zero to be jealous of - that's the point. We're just all happy the Bills didn't spend all that money on an overrated low-effort player.

We match up terribly with them. KC beat them with speed. We don't have much outside speed

Right - b/c if they edge contain against Shady as badly as they did against KC Bills can't exploit that? :rolleyes:

It turns out the Patriots defense is a lot thinner than they might have hoped for. They've got some newcomers to the defense, and they are making more mistakes than is usual for a Belichick coached team. Belichick will work to tighten the execution up, but the defense is still going to be vulnerable to injury, more than is some years.