What's wrong with the Pats Defense? Plenty

YoloinOhio

It's the first game of the year, lots of stuff happens every year that doesn't mean anything long term.

Don't overreact one way or the other. The 49ers blew out the Rams 28-0 a few years ago then didn't win another game til late in the year when they beat the Rams again for their only other win of the season.

Overreacting to Week 1 results is the norm however, but in most cases is meaningless for the season

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We match up terribly with them. KC beat them with speed. We don't have much outside speed

shady and Zay aren't fast? Kareem Hunt ran a 4.62 at the combine. Tyreek Hill is a burner but KC beat them up front first and foremost. Edited by YoloinOhio

shady and Zay aren't fast? Kareem Hunt ran a 4.62 at the combine. Tyreek Hill is a burner but KC beat them up front first and foremost.

New England will adjust like they always do. Don't expect to see that too often this year.

New England will adjust like they always do. Don't expect to see that too often this year.

i agree. They do need to compensate somehow for lack of talent on the front 7 though. They have a talented secondary but no pass rush is going to hang them out to dry. Edited by YoloinOhio

I did so much enjoy watching that.

none of those years did they look bad. Last night they looked really bad. There is a difference.

Well when you have posters constantly griping about how great he was (and he never was), how he will be this perennial pro bowler in New England and it keeps getting shoved down our throats, you love it when he's exposed again for who he really is an average corner.

They looked pretty bad in 2014 against Miami as I recall. They got torched for 191 yds against the run and Brady spent a lot of the game on his a**, only completed like 50% or so.

Everyone was all like 'changing the guard in the AFC East' - until next week, when Patricia/the Hoodie made adjustments.

That is really the key. They did look bad last night, especially after Hightower went out. They were like "so long Sheard, don't need you" and "NBD" when Ninkovitch retired, but so far it's not looking like they have adequate replacements. Still I've thought that before only to find myself disappointed when the evil ones make adjustments.

if you aren't happy about a patsie beat down in their house on opening day, I don't know what to tell you.

that includes gilmore getting torched. 65 million, LOL

I am happy

I looked at their D in the 2nd half, particularly after Hightower got hurt. Obviously I know Gilmore and McCourty,... but otherwise my reaction was.... who are these guys??? I didn't recognize a name in their front 7.

Same here. My first impression was that they were SLOW. Very little pass rush.

Brady sailed more high and long balls last night then I have ever seen him throw in his career. Not sure what the deal was. The only guy he could hit consistently was Amendola who was playing the Edleman role. He couldn't connect with Hogan at all going like 1-6 to him or something like that.

I did so much enjoy watching that.

They looked pretty bad in 2014 against Miami as I recall. They got torched for 191 yds against the run and Brady spent a lot of the game on his a**, only completed like 50% or so.

Everyone was all like 'changing the guard in the AFC East' - until next week, when Patricia/the Hoodie made adjustments.

That was the same year they also got blown out in Arrowhead week 4. So they started 2-2. It was definitely sky is falling attitude in New England.

Same here. My first impression was that they were SLOW. Very little pass rush.

Brady sailed more high and long balls last night then I have ever seen him throw in his career. Not sure what the deal was. The only guy he could hit consistently was Amendola who was playing the Edleman role. He couldn't connect with Hogan at all going like 1-6 to him or something like that.

@christrapasso

If #Patriots want to become more of a vertical attack in '17, it's bad idea. Brady's downfield touch is his weakest (only weak?) attribute.

Brady was 7th in Adj. Comp % on passes of 20+yds in '16, but 11th in '15, 30th in '14 & 25th in '13. Bad relative to everything else he does

Last night, he was 2 of 10 on attempts 20+ yards downfield per @PFF. Anything w/ tons of air under it from Brady is win for the defense IMO

Also #Patriots lack of outside edge-rush was extremely noticeable. Trey Flowers is versatile stud but NE doesn't have much juice on the edge

Maybe Belichick knew that so he paid Gilmore/kept Butler but even really talented secondaries need pass-rush help. NE lacking inside PR too.

Obv just 1 game & Belichick = adjustment master. But vertical idea won't help #Patriots reach max efficiency & their pass rush = real issue.

#Chiefs beat #Patriots @ their own game. Dink/dunk (repeat often), capitalize on blown cvg, get RBs on LBs. Pressure QB late to close it out

Edited by YoloinOhio

I thought the defensive performance was concerning for NE. I certainly am not willing to say this is going to be a trend after one game; however, last night was not good.

Not true. Last night was GREAT! loved seeing the Patsies get spanked.

As happy as I was to see the Patriots struggle as that game went on (I Loved seeing Brady being repeatedly knocked on his ass in the 4th quarter), I'm not reading too much into it yet.

They've started out seasons slow before. Belichick will have that team playing well by the time we face them.

I remember talks in previous years of "this might be the year the Patriots and Brady start going downhill" only to be severely disappointed. They've owned the division for far too long for me to believe that they won't again this year until I actually See it happen. It'd sure be great though if they truly did struggle this year.

As happy as I was to see the Patriots struggle as that game went on (I Loved seeing Brady being repeatedly knocked on his ass in the 4th quarter), I'm not reading too much into it yet.

They've started out seasons slow before. Belichick will have that team playing well by the time we face them.

I remember talks in previous years of "this might be the year the Patriots and Brady start going downhill" only to be severely disappointed. They've owned the division for far too long for me to believe that they won't again this year until I actually See it happen. It'd sure be great though if they truly did struggle this year.

Yep but I'll enjoy it for this week, anyway