Beane kept news of Sammy Watkins deal from Sean McDermott.

JM2009

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/16/16143096/brandon-beane-sammy-watkins-sean-mcdermott-trade-los-angeles-rams?_ga=2.241751810.1071164520.1502541016-57934352.1471000591

"Beane had a tentative deal in place with the Los Angeles Rams for the now-former Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins ahead of the team’s game versus the Minnesota Vikings last week, but the general manager chose to keep it a secret from his head coach. Yet, interestingly, under McDermott’s watch, the Bills first four passing plays against the Vikings were dialed up for Watkins - which apparently did enough to reassure the Rams on trading for the wideout, as a deal between the two clubs was made less than 24 hours later.

“Interestingly, Beane didn’t tell McDermott about his tentative deal with the Rams before their game against Minnesota,” Peter King wrote after discussing the deal with Beane. “Imagine the Rams’ shock when, on the first four plays of the game on offense for Buffalo, Tyrod Taylorthrew to Watkins. Beane wanted McDermott, in his first game as coach, not to be shackled but rather to be able to use his 90 players the way he saw fit. They didn’t discuss the chance for the trade until after the game."

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/16/16143096/brandon-beane-sammy-watkins-sean-mcdermott-trade-los-angeles-rams?_ga=2.241751810.1071164520.1502541016-57934352.1471000591

"Beane had a tentative deal in place with the Los Angeles Rams for the now-former Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins ahead of the team’s game versus the Minnesota Vikings last week, but the general manager chose to keep it a secret from his head coach. Yet, interestingly, under McDermott’s watch, the Bills first four passing plays against the Vikings were dialed up for Watkins - which apparently did enough to reassure the Rams on trading for the wideout, as a deal between the two clubs was made less than 24 hours later.

“Interestingly, Beane didn’t tell McDermott about his tentative deal with the Rams before their game against Minnesota,” Peter King wrote after discussing the deal with Beane. “Imagine the Rams’ shock when, on the first four plays of the game on offense for Buffalo, Tyrod Taylorthrew to Watkins. Beane wanted McDermott, in his first game as coach, not to be shackled but rather to be able to use his 90 players the way he saw fit. They didn’t discuss the chance for the trade until after the game."

He saw fit to feed his best young player the ball.......

Should have trusted that instinct.

I mean...... Is Beane gonna be a shrewd GM who does what he wants, when he wants? Does he go through with the trade if McDermott opposes? Is he undercutting McDermott trying to build a name for himself? Is their trouble on the horizon? Who really knows? I didn't like trading Watkins. I don't like the reasoning as to why. If he is healthy then he was one of the two best players on the team AND he is young. Isn't that what you want? Young, talented players?

I mean...... Is Beane gonna be a shrewd GM who does what he wants, when he wants? Does he go through with the trade if McDermott opposes? Is he undercutting McDermott trying to build a name for himself? Is their trouble on the horizon? Who really knows? I didn't like trading Watkins. I don't like the reasoning as to why. If he is healthy then he was one of the two best players on the team AND he is young. Isn't that what you want? Young, talented players?

Beane said he didn't tell McDermott or Pegula about the proposed deals.......then called them in together to tell them about it after the game.

Manipulative putting the two co-decision makers on the spot? Perhaps. Sounds good to say you don't want to trouble either men with the thought......but it doesn't really make sense to keep it from them. Adults....no? :rolleyes:

Edited by #BADOL

BB already told us this during his press conference. He said he didn't want McD's focus to be on anything but the game.

I kind of understand his explanation. However when you trade someone of Sammy's stature, wouldn't it only be right to discuss it with the head coach before you pull the trigger. Sammy was a huge part of this offense. I'm not trying to draw conclusions but it make no sense.

This is soo wrong.......... Should be everyone working not just one person.......... Beane is getting lower on my list. McDermott needs to know lots. Keep him in the shadow only things going to be much worse..

He never said that he didn't discuss whether Sammy fit into their long term plans, or the possibility of trading him. He just said that he didn't tell him there was a potential trade pending right before his first ever game as a head coach.

I can almost guarantee that they discussed Sammy's future with the team long before that trade ever happened. They had been getting trade calls since spring when McDermott decided not to pick up Sammy's 5th year option.

Plus Beane, McDermott and Pegula discussed the trade for hours after the game and they all came to a decision together. It was not just Beane doing it on his own.

Well, technically he waited until after the game to tell him a tentative deal was in place and get he and Pegula's alignment to pull the trigger. But the Rams GM said yesterday that they first started calling about Sammy right after the Bills declined his 5th year option, and had been in talks ever since. So McD certainly was aware this was a consideration and would have had to be on board with at least the possibility. They said things heated up in the last week so I'm pretty sure they designed those plays to Sammy to show the Rams he was healthy.

This is how I read that-

The GM had talks with teams about a possible trade. This is the GM's job on every other team. The GM then consulted with his coach before making a trade. The trade was then made.

The HC led his team in the day to day preparation of getting ready for the season. The GM looked at the overall team structure and direction of the team now and in the future. Once the GM had an offer in place he thought was a good one the GM brought the offer to the HC and they BOTH decided to make the trade. This is how successful operations are designed to function effectively.

The article was written to show how aligned the HC and GM are. It also shows respect by the GM for the job the HC has to do. The GM did not want to add to the HC already demanding responsibilities and areas of consideration. This is not what we have witnessed recently or have been told has occurred.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

what happened to the whole one vision

This is how I read that-
The GM had talks with teams about a possible trade. This is the GM's job on every other team. The GM then consulted with his coach before making a trade. The trade was then made.
The HC led his team in the day to day preparation of getting ready for the season. The GM looked at the overall team structure and direction of the team now and in the future. Once the GM had an offer in place he thought was a good one the GM brought the offer to the HC and they BOTH decided to make the trade. This is how successful operations are designed to function effectively.
The article was written to show how aligned the HC and GM are. It also shows respect by the GM for the job the HC has to do. The GM did not want to add to the HC already demanding responsibilities and areas of consideration. This is not what we have witnessed recently or have been told has occurred.

i find it very hard to believe that "successful" operations are trading away their #1 receiver without the coaches knowledge. do you really think things happen this way in NE or GB or even Baltimore?

not to mention, this article displays the exact opposite of "how aligned the HC and GM are". McDermott may be accepting of the trade or complacent, but this wasn't an example of alignment.

for the record, I couldn't care less what the FO does or how they communicate, as long as they build a winner.

Edited by 87168

i find it very hard to believe that "successful" operations are trading away their #1 receiver without the coaches knowledge. do you really think things happen this way in NE or GB or even Baltimore?

not to mention, this article displays the exact opposite of "how aligned the HC and GM are". McDermott may be accepting of the trade or complacent, but this wasn't an example of alignment.

Did you read the article? In the article it states Beane spoke w McDermott after the game about a possible trade. The trade was then made. The article made it sound like the two were in agreement . That is exactly how things should happen.

You can find it hard to believe but the GM, HC, and owner discussed it before the deal was consummated. Unless you're one of those conspiracy theorists who think they lie.

You can find it hard to believe but the GM, HC, and owner discussed it before the deal was consummated. Unless you're one of those conspiracy theorists who think they lie.

Yep. Everyone focusing on their jobs and responsibilities. Then when they have something to present that warrants a discussion they meet with the rest of the people in the operation. After the meeting actions are executed.

I kind of understand his explanation. However when you trade someone of Sammy's stature, wouldn't it only be right to discuss it with the head coach before you pull the trigger. Sammy was a huge part of this offense. I'm not trying to draw conclusions but it make no sense.

What trigger was pulled before Beane spoke to McD and Pegula? So Beane pulled such a bold move just weeks into his first GM gig?

Well, technically he waited until after the game to tell him a tentative deal was in place and get he and Pegula's alignment to pull the trigger. But the Rams GM said yesterday that they first started calling about Sammy right after the Bills declined his 5th year option, and had been in talks ever since. So McD certainly was aware this was a consideration and would have had to be on board with at least the possibility. They said things heated up in the last week so I'm pretty sure they designed those plays to Sammy to show the Rams he was healthy.

Bingo.

/thread

What a waste of a thread. The GM did exactly as he should- he talked with the HC and the Owner and made the trade.

Since McD was already aware of calls - I am sure he and Beane decided at what point compensation was enough and the Rams finally got there. You finally have a functioning FO and people work hard to make it seem out of step - just crazy.

Fans have been asking for a vision - we get 2 guys with a vision and a plan and then people criticize the plan or act like they do not know what they are doing - just makes no sense to me.

But did he talk to M&T Bank first? #rogue

Could we get any more damn dramatic?

I am still not over the trade myself but trying to paint a picture that Beane did this on his own is a giant stretch. Instead of telling McD and Pegs that the parameters for the trade were finally in place at 6pm, he told them at 11pm (or whatever). The talks had been going on for over 3 months. He did nothing unilaterally except his job while they did theirs on Thursday night.

For someone who treats this board as his own personal conversation, replying to nearly every post and cluttering up the board with hundreds of new posts every day, how did you manage to miss a thread already directed to this very topic?

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/195350-does-anyone-believe-gm-beane-about-preseason-game/

Edited by Coach Tuesday

What do you do, take a highlighter and just highlight the words that fit your narrative, then string them into a sentence to fit your point. Explain to me where the article said Beane made the trade without the coaches knowledge. Amazing how you can come to the conclusion you did based on what was stated. But I understand that's what most do these days to prove they are right. As they say don't let facts get in the way of your point.

for the record, I couldn't care less what the FO does or how they communicate, as long as they build a winner.

Undoubtedly, the two Bills decision makers have had plenty of discussions this summer surrounding the possibility of trading Watkins.

So, sure, McDermott didn’t know the timing of when a deal would go down, but he certainly must of have known that it could happen at some point, and perhaps game planned accordingly.

This is apparently what transpired between Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott in the team’s first preseason game.

Edited by ALF

Trading your best young player for a draft pick is some vision.

We have fans have no choice but to wait and see, but this will blow up in their face IMO.

If it does it does, but considering the Bills did not want the 5th year option - I don't think they were planning on having him come back - it is a vision - get something for him rather than letting him go for nothing.