Peter King: Darby Hadn't Bought Into New Bills' Regime

Part of me worries we are quick to ship guys out and a big part of coaching goes beyond scheme or game day management and centers around building bridges/managing men and maximizing the talent you have in place.

Not everyone is a perfect fit or will 100% buy in at all times... and you can still be a better team for having that player

Let's see........you've been drafted by an organization......after 3 years now you are on your 3rd different coaching staff........but you gotta' be 100% CONVINCED that ownership has THIS TIME chosen the right guys.......even though the hire is a first time HC with a middling track record.....hmmm......yeah, that sounds natural!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right about the hires........they haven't fired any good HC's.

But let's not understate the lack of good stewardship from the people doing this hiring.

For one thing.......you can't let a new, nobody hire come in with a weakened roster.

They only get one chance to make a first impression.

PLAYERS RESPECT WINNERS........if the new staff doesn't get off to a good start it becomes an uphill battle for a joe-shmo coach.

Second.....ownership needs to empower but not just be a yes-man to a new GM/coach that hasn't proven themselves.

Marrone and Rex BOTH put Terry Pegula on the spot with stunning ultimatums because they did not respect him......SIMPLE AS THAT.

I know what you're referring to with Marrone (although I don't know if he ever issued an ultimatum. It was reported he asked for extensions for him and was told no, then asked for extensions for his coordinators and Pegula again said no, then (I think it was a day or so later) used his out clause . That's a bit different than giving an ultimatum).

But what "stunning ultimatum" did Rex give Pegula?

If you are talking about Pegula saying that Rex asked if he was going to be fired and if so could he just leave now instead of having to coach the last game against the Jets, I'd hardly call that a stunning ultimatum. I'd call it a question. He asked Pegula's permission to leave now and not to have to face all the questions in NYC if he was going to be fired right after that anyway.

Maybe you're referring to something else though?

Well he did state this:

"We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market," Watkins tweeted Sunday.

If Watkins thinks one year of super production warrants him being paid more than anyone else by his "change the market tweet" he needs drug teated more and thats likely what the GM was eluding to with the term signability.

Thats not true standing buffalo dont you know we have tons of cap space and the capis a myth.

Sarcasm included.

The 2014 class includes OBJ, Evans as well. It could very well happen. Thinking a tweet from Sammy will change the market is pretty naive. OBJ can ask for whatever, but that doesn't mean he will get it. It's quite possible WR salaries get a bump from the 2014 class. If you follow NFL salaries they tend to go up because the cap is fluid as a percentage of revenues. Trying to make a case that the Bills couldn't afford a new deal for Sammy in a year or two ( which is when they would have needed to not last week) is totally ridiculous. They have no big QB salary and have veterans that will be let go, deals to be redone etc. Sammy was like the only big $$ guy on the near horizon. Teams know how to work the cap. It's a fluid, changing number.

Makes sense. Sammy's thinking he's going to break the bank, but Beane & McDermott are like "Not with us, you're not." Good for them.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in LA, now that another GM is banking on Sammy Watkins to elevate his 1st round QB to franchise QB.

Also, a team taking our #1 & #2 WRs to be their #1 & #2 WRs? That's gotta be a first.

Yeah great for Bills fans. Our new brain trust doesn't want to pay market rate for talent. This is going to be one fun ride!

The 2014 class includes OBJ, Evans as well. It could very well happen. Thinking a tweet from Sammy will change the market is pretty naive. OBJ can ask for whatever, but that doesn't mean he will get it. It's quite possible WR salaries get a bump from the 2014 class. If you follow NFL salaries they tend to go up because the cap is fluid as a percentage of revenues. Trying to make a case that the Bills couldn't afford a new deal for Sammy in a year or two ( which is when they would have needed to not last week) is totally ridiculous. They have no big QB salary and have veterans that will be let go, deals to be redone etc. Sammy was like the only big $$ guy on the near horizon. Teams know how to work the cap. It's a fluid, changing number.

Yeah great for Bills fans. Our new brain trust doesn't want to pay market rate for talent. This is going to be one fun ride!

Dont be ridiculous. Sammy's tweet is a clear indication that he and the other wrs from that draft class intend on changing the game with regard to wr pay ina manner that only announcing it in social media would do it justice. Clearly you cant be serious with the cap stuff?

We have 8 million right now we couldnt have afforded to redo Watkins contrac this year without kicking a heft portion of it down the road like way down the road.

Sammy is clearly going to look for a salary that will be astounding from his tweet. To take it any ither way then that is being disgenious and intellectually deceitful.

I know what you're referring to with Marrone (although I don't know if he ever issued an ultimatum. It was reported he asked for extensions for him and was told no, then asked for extensions for his coordinators and Pegula again said no, then (I think it was a day or so later) used his out clause . That's a bit different than giving an ultimatum).

But what "stunning ultimatum" did Rex give Pegula?

If you are talking about Pegula saying that Rex asked if he was going to be fired and if so could he just leave now instead of having to coach the last game against the Jets, I'd hardly call that a stunning ultimatum. I'd call it a question. He asked Pegula's permission to leave now and not to have to face all the questions in NYC if he was going to be fired right after that anyway.

Maybe you're referring to something else though?

No Pegs said he was surprised that Rex asked the question and the answer was that he didn't know and spoiled Rex demanded an answer.

Pegs was clearly shaken by the entire thing and very uncertain about what he was doing. No decision had been made on Rex at that point.

Then one minute he was defending and supporting Whaley and putting him out there as the face of change/the franchise, proclaiming him the leader of the coaching search........but then after meeting McDermott a few days later.......suddenly Whaley was on the outs.

Pegs has no idea what he's doing........and it's obvious......and it's hard for football guys to respect that even if they like him.

No Pegs said he was surprised that Rex asked the question and the answer was that he didn't know and spoiled Rex demanded an answer.

Pegs was clearly shaken by the entire thing and very uncertain about what he was doing. No decision had been made on Rex at that point.

Then one minute he was defending and supporting Whaley and putting him out there as the face of change/the franchise, proclaiming him the leader of the coaching search........but then after meeting McDermott a few days later.......suddenly Whaley was on the outs.

Pegs has no idea what he's doing........and it's obvious......and it's hard for football guys to respect that even if they like him.

He never said that Rex demanded an answer. Here are his exact words -

'As the call came to a close, Pegula said Ryan asked to speak to the owner privately. Pegula said Ryan then directly asked him about his future beyond this season.

"I was asked a point-blank question and based on the discussions we've been having all year, I felt it was better to tell Rex that we were going in a different direction," Pegula said.'

Though Pegula was going to wait to evaluate Ryan's job after the season, he said he probably would've come to the same conclusion now as he did a week ago.

Pegula based his decision on his own observations, input he's received from his front-office staff over the course of the season, and also on previous discussions he's had with Ryan regarding addressing the team's struggles.

"(Whaley) had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were," Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well."

https://apnews.com/0532b3f5c39c48c6a459e129de478c74/apnewsbreak-bills-owner-outlines-reasons-he-fired-rex-ryan

That's seems different than a stunning ultimatum, Rex demanding an answer and Pegula being uncertain about what he was doing. He knew Rex was gone, he just wanted to wait 1 more game to do it. There were rumors for weeks on end that he was a goner.

I think it is difficult, based on what we know so far, to made a coherent argument that he does know what he is doing. His tendency to fall in and out of love with people (I'm no hockey fan but that appears to have been true with the Sabres too) is a worry. He spoke to Doug Marrone every day and then when the crunch came decided to go in a different direction, then he was all in on Rex.... until he wasn't, then Doug Whaley was his man, until he found someone else. Now he loves the attention to detail and energy of Sean and Brandon..... I just hope he sticks with that long enough to let them follow through a plan, but there is part of me that worries two dull seasons of 6-10/7-9 and he will be on to his next crush.

I think it is difficult, based on what we know so far, to made a coherent argument that he does know what he is doing. His tendency to fall in and out of love with people (I'm no hockey fan but that appears to have been true with the Sabres too) is a worry. He spoke to Doug Marrone every day and then when the crunch came decided to go in a different direction, then he was all in on Rex.... until he wasn't, then Doug Whaley was his man, until he found someone else. Now he loves the attention to detail and energy of Sean and Brandon..... I just hope he sticks with that long enough to let them follow through a plan, but there is part of me that worries two dull seasons of 6-10/7-9 and he will be on to his next crush.

Correct. He let Murray tank and then suddenly became impatient with the rebuild.

What Pegula really needs to do is bring in some experience to buffer both organizations - Ron Wolf types who can serve as intermediaries between the day to day product and the owner's box. His biggest failure is his belief that he can manage these products himself.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This team has been shaking things up continuosly for 17 years. Id rather take a gamble on a receiver with star potential, despite the injury history which Ive been attacked over, than a crappy corner and second round pick. This trade was a big mistake.

maybe the right people haven't done shaking yet. i don't know if the new staff will or not, but it's happening, so we all have to watch it unfold. the one difference between this staff and the other is that this group seems committed to getting a qb. that's what's going to swing success in one direction or another.

Correct. He let Murray tank and then suddenly became impatient with the rebuild.

What Pegula really needs to do is bring in some experience to buffer both organizations - Ron Wolf types who can serve as intermediaries between the day to day product and the owner's box. His biggest failure is his belief that he can manage these products himself.

This is so true it hurts.

Makes sense. Sammy's thinking he's going to break the bank, but Beane & McDermott are like "Not with us, you're not." Good for them.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in LA, now that another GM is banking on Sammy Watkins to elevate his 1st round QB to franchise QB.

Also, a team taking our #1 & #2 WRs to be their #1 & #2 WRs? That's gotta be a first.

no, sorry. they handled it wrong.

look at what Belichick did with Hightower this offseason. He was saying the same things about getting paid, etc. Bill kept him to the end of the contract and said "ok, go test the market. see what's out there". End result, Hightower found the money he thought was out there for him wasnt and he re-signed in New England

I think there is a disconnect between he and his GM/Coaches on what he approves of and what he simply permits..........this later causes friction when things fail and Pegs has to make decisions.

When they first started talking about a Czar I wasn't down with that...........but then I didn't realize that Pegs was this much of a novice.

Decisions like what just happened with trading away a young stud talent like Sammy Watkins for a pick that's likely to yield something between a bust like James Hardy or a meh like Bob Woods is something a wise mind should know to advise against.

You want a young, energetic personnel man running the personnel department..........but in good organizations there needs to be good experienced counsel for the young decision maker..........with the Rooney's and Mara's that comes from ownership..........here Pegs is of little help.

I don't think he falls in and out of love with these football/hockey people.........I think he just doesn't know and at the time their plans seem plausible and like most fans he wants to believe.

Once they are there he empowers them and that support gets confused as being Pegs taking co-ownership of their decisions.........which is not what I think is happening.

I don't think he falls in and out of love with these football/hockey people.........I think he just doesn't know and at the time their plans seem plausible and like most fans he wants to believe.

Once they are there he empowers them and that support gets confused as being Pegs taking co-ownership of their decisions.........which is not what I think is happening.

Yep. That's why he really needs to install an experienced, accountable intermediary in both organizations.

look at what Belichick did with Hightower this offseason. He was saying the same things about getting paid, etc. Bill kept him to the end of the contract and said "ok, go test the market. see what's out there". End result, Hightower found the money he thought was out there for him wasnt and he re-signed in New England

See Jamie collins and try again.

Well. That's what happens when the owner who doesn't have a clue about football hires the football coach.

I said this the day Rex was fired.

I wanted them to bring in Coughlin.

Good for them?😂

I know right. How dare a good player want to get paid? Shame on Sammy.

Some takes are hilariously sad.

Getting paid isnt the same as changing the market for wr. The intent by saying changing the market literally means getting more money for wrs than before. Do you think Sammy is worthy if the money JJ or AB. If so ill stop conversing with you. Because he isnt and hasnt shown anything to suggest he is worth more money then them long term.

"If this was baseball, we’d probably have kept Sammy, because we wouldn’t have had the cap to worry about," Beane told King. "But every decision you make in football, with the cap, is a calculated risk. We had four inquiries for Sammy, and three offers, and got to a point where the Rams were willing to give a high pick, and we thought it was the best thing for us."

Beane points out that trades like the Bills made Friday are rare – King references just three similar trades over the last six years.

With six picks in the first three rounds, Beane told King he knows the pressure will fall directly on him.

"The onus is on me and my staff," the Bills' GM said. "We have to draft well. We’ve taken the first step – accumulating high picks."

"If this was baseball, we’d probably have kept Sammy, because we wouldn’t have had the cap to worry about," Beane told King. "But every decision you make in football, with the cap, is a calculated risk. We had four inquiries for Sammy, and three offers, and got to a point where the Rams were willing to give a high pick, and we thought it was the best thing for us."

Beane points out that trades like the Bills made Friday are rare – King references just three similar trades over the last six years.

With six picks in the first three rounds, Beane told King he knows the pressure will fall directly on him.

"The onus is on me and my staff," the Bills' GM said. "We have to draft well. We’ve taken the first step – accumulating high picks."

Wow. I'd love to know what the other two offers were.

Very true. A big part of being a GM is seeing through all the noise coming from the players side. Just negotiating tactics to get the best possible deal. People act like tweets from players mean they are going to get what they want. The market will dictate what they end up with, simple as that. I've yet to see a guy tweeting about what a sweetheart deal he's going to give his drafting team because he's not looking for the most money he can get.

I think he was in line for a big year here.

He is one of the best players on the field when's he's out there.

He would've had a big year in which case the Bills should've paid him.

I couldn't agree more. It's what the FO should have done. And the class of 2014 includes Beckham and Evans. It's possible in the era of the increasing cap that the market for WRs gets a bump. He might be right, but it won't be a huge leap. It doesn't change the fact that second deals in the NFL are based on production and there is no way that Sammy ends up getting more than OBJ will. A few comments don't change the market, production and stats do.

I think he was in line for a big year here.

He is one of the best players on the field when's he's out there.

He would've had a big year in which case the Bills should've paid him.

There is literally no way that I believe Sammy Watkins outperformed AB or JJ. As such he shouldnt receive market changing salary for less than what those two put up. Its ridiculous to pay for potential.

A franchise can do that when they have the history the Patriots do.

The Bills don't have that so need to do things different until they have a bit more credibility league-wide.

Good question. Makes it pretty clear, though, that Watkins' market value right now is a second-round pick.

That's not really up for debate as that's what he was dealt for. Then again, we can't be certain that BB dealt him to the highest bidder. Remember the Lynch deal? Let's say the picks were close or even the same. He may have sent him to the team with the lesser QB. Less of a chance for it to reflect poorly on him if Watkins has a good year. Since Watkins value to the Bills if healthy was more than his current market of a 2nd round pick, it's obvious winning games wasn't the top priority for Beane in this deal.

A franchise can do that when they have the history the Patriots do.

The Bills don't have that so need to do things different until they have a bit more credibility league-wide.

True. And that should mean keeping as many talented players as you can and focus on getting a good QB. The Pats have TB and don't need to worry about that in every case. They can also get FAs for less because of this. They are a terrible comparison for anything the Bills do in this regard.

Unless the other offers were rejected because they were from AFC or AFCE teams...

This is possible/ likely as well.

Nope, just load up the roster with a bunch of lunch-pail, run-through-a-wall soldiers and saints and COACH 'EM UP!

Don't forget the high motor guys.

He has fired one coach and one GM.

Yes, but he's had 4 coaches in 4 years.

Edited by reddogblitz

King accidentally makes a point that is going completely unnoticed. From 2013 on (whaley's involvement) every player drafted in the 5th round or higher is still in the league, they just don't play for the Bills. Some folks in Buffalo like to paint this picture that Whaley was some sort of disaster, but he doesn't have any Aaron Maybin, James Hardy. John McCargo. Mike Williams, Erik Flowers, Avion Black, Shawn Bryson on his resume. Not one.

Truth be told, he's the only GM we've had in a t least 30 years that didn't draft a complete scrub rounds 1-5. All of them can play with the best players in the world. Maybe he should have drafted another QB and he'd still have a job.

King accidentally makes a point that is going completely unnoticed. From 2013 on (whaley's involvement) every player drafted in the 5th round or higher is still in the league, they just don't play for the Bills. Some folks in Buffalo like to paint this picture that Whaley was some sort of disaster, but he doesn't have any Aaron Maybin, James Hardy. John McCargo. Mike Williams, Erik Flowers, Avion Black, Shawn Bryson on his resume. Not one.

Truth be told, he's the only GM we've had in a t least 30 years that didn't draft a complete scrub rounds 1-5. All of them can play with the best players in the world. Maybe he should have drafted another QB and he'd still have a job.

I agree that that's worthy of a mention...good stuff

I agree. The real issue is that the coaches and schemes changed continuously so he was never really able to build up the talent for one particular system. I think he's a top scout. Whether he was a top GM depends on what you expect from your GM I guess, as he certainly struggled to get along with the coaches and really didn't provide any leadership on team direction.

Edited by vincec

Where the problem lies is in the definition of the GMs role with a team

Is the GMs role to go out and get the players that the HC needs/wants to fit his system for the team OR of his role to get the best possible players and have a coach who can work and adapt to the players they have? I think the GM role has been changing over the last few years where the coaches are being given more control on players and the GM role is becoming more of the gopher to get them what they want where as before I think the GM used to pick the direction of the team and pick the players with the coaches role to coach the guys they had and make it work.

I don't think Whaley was a complete flop, bit I also don't think he was anything special. Seemed to me that he didn't mesh with the coaches and there was always a battle over who was in charge.

I agree. The real issue is that the coaches and schemes changed continuously so he was never really able to build up the talent for one particular system. I think he's a top scout. Whether he was a top GM depends on what you expect from your GM I guess, as he certainly struggled to get along with the coaches and really didn't provide any leadership on team direction.

Might have something to do with him being publicly undermined by his bosses. Once it was known that Whaley didn't have any power over Marrone/Rex then I wouldn't respect him either. Frankly, I'm ready to have the discussion about whether or not the Pegulas are terrible owners. The Sabres have gone through almost the exact same thing. The fact that they fired Murray before the rebuild came to term speaks volumes to me. I think they're too used to having complete control, even when they don't know the subject matter. If they have a problem with how the team is being run, they should be directing the GM what they expect of them and telling the coaches and players that the GM is king. Otherwise, it destroys all of that person's credibility.

The fact that "Coach & GM are finally on the same page" - well they damn well better be. They were promoted off of the same team and given the opportunity of a lifetime. I'd expect they've had plenty of time to talk about how they ensure they don't end up like the rest,

Don't forget the high motor guys.

Yes, but he's had 4 coaches in 4 years.

Yes he had 4 coaches in 4 years.

One coach left with a crappy contract clause made before he bought the team.

He hired one bad coach quickly rectified

Third coach was just an interim coach for one whole game

Hired 4th coach that everyone hopes will work out

So in reality Pegula has had 2 coaching decisions in 4 years. First one was a bad one. At lease he realized it by year two. Lets hope second one works out. People cant have their cake and eat it too. People can criticize that Pegula has gone through one coach (trying to make it sound like 4 when really it wasn't) then complain when coach gets fired.... same people would also complain if he kept Rex. Cant complain about both.

Whaley is a scout who can evaluate talent, but he was in way over his head as a GM.

The fact that we have so few top picks still on the team is, in part, testimony to Whaley's failures as a GM. Ditto his clueless treatment of the QB position and his trade up for Watkins.

Whaley will not work in the league as a GM again.

Whaley is a scout who can evaluate talent, but he was in way over his head as a GM.

The fact that we have so few top picks still on the team is, in part, testimony to Whaley's failures as a GM. Ditto his clueless treatment of the QB position and his trade up for Watkins.

Whaley will not work in the league as a GM again.

I don't really understand how you're getting there. I'd bet Whaley has a job next year maybe GM or maybe director, but his track record is pretty damn solid if all you do is look at the facts. When you toss in the Pegulas mismanagement of both of their franchises, I really think someone will look at it and say his did the best that could have been expected.

In fairness to Whaley, the Ryans were basically forced on him by the Pegulas, who are relatively inexperienced owners. However, Whaley ultimately lost his job because he stuck to E.J. Manuel too long. Completely defensible draft pick, but it didn't take anybody very long (besides Whaley) to figure out that he couldn't play. If he jettisons Manuel after one year instead of moving up for Watkins, he probably ends up in charge after the ownership change.

I think under Marrone was the last time the Bills were well-coached and what McDermott and Beane are doing is similar to that, but they have a much better chance because Tyrod is a mid-level starter at QB as opposed to Manuel, who can't play. They want control and discipline and are going to remove players that don't buy or don't want to do it from the equation. This is what good coaches and good general managers do in football. Darby and Watkins don't have any tangible impact on the team's record if it's well-coached. (This is true for anybody that isn't a quarterback.) We'll see if it works.