Peter King: Darby Hadn't Bought Into New Bills' Regime

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how Matthews (even if his sternum wasn't chipped), when you take away Sammy Watkins, makes the Bills any better... there are some who act like Watkins was this constant "Dez Bryant" size headache for the team...at some point, this franchise has to do something, to constantly get the benefit of every doubt...maybe it all pays off with the 9 million draft picks we have later, but right now it feels like a lot of bumbling around....and just a conscious effort by the new regime to get rid of as many players possibly, that Doug Whaley drafted. It's just stupid.

Agreed. You cross your fingers that a WR talent like Watkins is available for you to draft. You already had one on your team. I would have also picked up the fifth year option. Between that and the tag I fail to see how "Sammy was going to leave anyway" really would have came into play.

The potential for injury angle is overblown. Anyone can get injured at any time. Ex. Jordan Matthews

I definitely read it as two separate issues - scheme fit and 'buying in'/attitude. I don't think Darby or Sammy 'bought into' the new regime, and because of that I imagine they didn't have quite the right attitude McD was looking for (either overtly or just generally).

In Beane's PC discussing the trade one of the things he said was

"There's a lot of guys that have jumped right on board, doing the things that Sean and his staff have asked and we look forward to continuing to work with those guys."

I took that as a lightly veiled shot at the guys who were leaving

Yes....and I have suspected this. Remember a couple of years ago when Mario and Dareus were not a good fit and bitched and moaned all season? I don't necessarily think that Darby and Sammy were complaining to that degree...but I often think that new coaches will look for guys who don't seem "all in" and cut them loose to send the message: "Be with us 100% or be gone." I seem to remember Bill Cowher doing the same thing when he came to Pittsburgh and outright cutting guys who were high draft picks to send the message he would cut anyone.

I fail to see how Matthews (even if his sternum wasn't chipped), when you take away Sammy Watkins, makes the Bills any better... there are some who act like Watkins was this constant "Dez Bryant" size headache for the team...at some point, this franchise has to do something, to constantly get the benefit of every doubt...maybe it all pays off with the 9 million draft picks we have later, but right now it feels like a lot of bumbling around....and just a conscious effort by the new regime to get rid of as many players possibly, that Doug Whaley drafted. It's just stupid.

So if he walked at years end that would be ok?

He could refuse to sign the tag and and demand a trade.

He could also sign the tag for 13m plus and get hurt miss the season and still get paid with the Bills getting nothing.

I think this secondary is going to be a total mess and Darby knew it. The Frazier cover scheme is horrible. Will be exposed all year.

So Darby asked for a trade? Because contextually you are making it sound like he wanted out. When in reality the coaching staff saw enough to know he might just not be a fit for what's being asked of these players.

For such a mess of a secondary, our top pick has looked extremely good early on Hyde has played really well and before the injury Seymore was looking good as well.

Our secondary has a ways to go, sure, but again this hooks back to consistently changing the philosophy. Drafting players for one scheme only to changet the scheme a couple years later.

So if he walked at years end that would be ok?

He could refuse to sign the tag and and demand a trade.

He could also sign the tag for 13m plus and get hurt miss the season and still get paid with the Bills getting nothing.

Well, on the flip side, if Watkins tore it up, they could franchise him and work towards a long term deal. If that isnt working...

1) You will get more in return because his value will obviously be higher on the trade market.

Or

2) If things are really at a stalemate, you can pull the tag the way the Panthers did with Norman.

If we ended up signing him long term and he got injured, that's the risk you take. But that gamble, again has to sides, if the injury never creeps back yo and he goes on for the next four or five years as a top target in the league...

It feels to you like a lot of bumbling around because you don't know Beane's and McD's plan and vision.

I'm sure it doesn't feel to them like bumbling around. I believe they're being true to the principles and overall strategy.

Beane's a bright guy. When you suggest that he's getting rid of players that Whaley drafted just because, it sounds like your letting your emotions cloud your reason. Which is understandable after 17 years of no playoffs. Beane is too smart to do something like that. He wouldn't have risen the way he has in the NFL if we're indeed that "stupid."

What we see in the media is just the tip of the iceberg. It's the other 90% that's intriguing. What is the grand strategy? What's the complete story behind the Darby and Watkins trades? Right now, we're not privy to all that.

From the report of McD stopping practice, making the whole team take a knee, and then chewing them out for going half-assed... it sounds like this bright, new, young regime still has some lessons to learn.

Such as, trading away your best player for next year's draft puts a damper on things.

I agree with you wholeheartedly... however, I think there was just so much buffoonery w/ Rex that they had to change. Going back to something close to previous 4-3 scheme was simply necessary. They had a top 5 D.

Also - not for nothing - the architect of that "top 5 D" JUST TRADED FOR DARBY, who he views as a perfect fit for his 4-3 scheme.

These "justifications" are killing me.

From the report of McD stopping practice, making the whole team take a knee, and then chewing them out for going half-assed... it sounds like this bright, new, young regime still has some lessons to learn.

Such as, trading away your best player for next year's draft puts a damper on things.

Nope, just load up the roster with a bunch of lunch-pail, run-through-a-wall soldiers and saints and COACH 'EM UP!

Yea.

Such a disappointment. Looks like we got another bunch of guys who think they have a great plan until the losses pile up.

Unfortunately I think these guys will get at least three years no matter how bad the losing is. Dick Jauron situation all over again.

what if they win?

Yea.

Such a disappointment. Looks like we got another bunch of guys who think they have a great plan until the losses pile up.

Unfortunately I think these guys will get at least three years no matter how bad the losing is. Dick Jauron situation all over again.

Honestly, they really should. Better yet, give them 4 years. It's one of the LARGEST factors in our continued losing. Give them a shot to learn and get it right. It took Garrett/Cowboys almost 8 years.

Tell you where I am with King? The Bills can't keep blowing this up. I would be guaranteeing Beane and McDermott 4 years and saying only absolutely no progress would stop me giving them a 5th. In the end someone has to stop the roundabout from spinning.

I actually agree, and I feel like that is the plan. Just seems like that is right where Terry and Kim are, they need to let the vision play out. If Rex wouldn't have been such a blowhard, he probably would have gotten 4 years too.

Im more worried about our LB's. Our back 4 will play very conservative, come up and tackle. Our LB's will be the liability. I think teams will pick us apart with short stuff.

I think tight ends will eat us alive this year based on our LBs and safeties. That part of our defense will have to wait until next year unfortunately.

Depends on how they progress and how the team responds.

If they continue to spin the wheels year after year, they will be gone after year 3, maybe earlier.

The pressure will already be on after the losses start to pile up this year.

They will find a scape goat such as Tyrod or even blame Whaley indirectly and suggest the fans stay patient while they acquire more talent.

No way Pegula makes another overhaul changes 2 years in. If so, we should all walk away.

Sit back and give them 4 years. Tweak where needed. Again, follow Garrett's storyline.

I don't think anyone even remotely claims that Mathews for Watson makes us better today. I think part of it is the economics and Fit to the system. If you drive 30 miles to work every day and you only plan on driving 30 mile with an occasional 100 mile trip , do you really need a Ferari ? Maybe a nice lexus will do ? Then you can spend $$ on other things. Sammy would say bonehead things every once in a while but he was a good team mate and a great wide receiver when on the field. Brady does not beat us routinely with 75 yard bombs , he beats us with continued pressure from possession receivers. I believe they are planning to go to a more controlled offense sprinkled in with the deep pass . Will it work I have no idea but I can see what they are planning.

It feels to you like a lot of bumbling around because you don't know Beane's and McD's plan and vision.

I'm sure it doesn't feel to them like bumbling around. I believe they're being true to the principles and overall strategy.

Beane's a bright guy. When you suggest that he's getting rid of players that Whaley drafted just because, it sounds like your letting your emotions cloud your reason. Which is understandable after 17 years of no playoffs. Beane is too smart to do something like that. He wouldn't have risen the way he has in the NFL if we're indeed that "stupid."

What we see in the media is just the tip of the iceberg. It's the other 90% that's intriguing. What is the grand strategy? What's the complete story behind the Darby and Watkins trades? Right now, we're not privy to all that.

Okay fair enough, you want to rebuild, rebuild, by why get rid of your good young talent to do that. Now your looking to the draft to replace them. Makes no sense. They will be lucky to find a receiver half as good as Watkins in the next draft & if they do chances are they will have to blow one of their first round picks on him, These guys are in over their head, MCD, Beane, Pegs, they have no idea what they are doing. So glad I cancelled my season tickets after 19 years, f this clown organization.

Edited by Gordio