Peter King: Darby Hadn't Bought Into New Bills' Regime

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never see this happen in Pittsburgh do we ? In fact a few of our retreads even end up there and contributing.

That's a different planet on the NFL universe, the Steelers System from ownership right on down to water boy to not letting any crutches on the sidelines is a totally different planet for almost 50 years now.

And the Pats are another one.

Tell you where I am with King? The Bills can't keep blowing this up. I would be guaranteeing Beane and McDermott 4 years and saying only absolutely no progress would stop me giving them a 5th. In the end someone has to stop the roundabout from spinning.

Why would you guarantee a couple of nobodies 4 years?

Who is Sean McDermott? Very modestly successful position DC.......fired from coordinators job before his last.......prime example of a HC prospect with EVERYTHING to prove.

And Beane? Random nobody from an up and down organization in a traditionally bad division.

Guaranteeing these dudes 4 years is CRAZY and would actually a very TYPICAL Billsy thing to do.

Next time......perhaps the clueless owner chooses a GM/coach combo that can work with the provided talent and build upon it.

@salsports said on WGR at 7:30am today that Bflo's FO sincerely believes they will be better for the trade this season, just not today. He listed some reasons...possibility of injury, locker room and scheme.

He made a point of saying he did not necessarily agree with that.

The issue I have with this injury thing they keep bringing up with Watkins is that several players have had the same injury Watkins had, needed two surgeries to fix and NONE had any issues with it after the second surgery...I think we just did what the Falcons considered doing with Jones but didn't and we are going to look like fools Edited by matter2003

Who is Sean McDermott? Very modestly successful position DC.......fired from coordinators job before his last.......prime example of a HC prospect with EVERYTHING to prove.

And Beane? Random nobody from an up and down organization in a traditionally bad division.

Guaranteeing these dudes 4 years is CRAZY and would actually a very TYPICAL Billsy thing to do.

Next time......perhaps the clueless owner chooses a GM/coach combo that can work with the provided talent and build upon it.

People are just saying that now because so far their record running the Bills in meaningful games is 0-0.

If the Bills suck horribly the next two years, most people will want the Pegulas to send this whole staff to the guillotine.

Edited by PolishDave

That's a different planet on the NFL universe, the Steelers System from ownership right on down to water boy to not letting any crutches on the sidelines is a totally different planet for almost 50 years now.

And the Pats are another one.

Meh. The Steelers are going through some issues with Bell right now that could end up similar to Watkins' situation. And the Pats are notorious for letting talent walk. See Jamie Collins last year as perfect example.

I guess most people arguing the trade don't get the fact that:

1)sammy might want more term and money than the Bills are prepared to pay.

2) The Tag is 13m + and its guaranteed.

3) He doesn't have to sign the tag and could demand a trade.

4) Didn't everyone give Whaley flack for sitting on Gilmore and not getting anything in return?

5) Time to move on 67% of fans like or understand the trades.

Meh. The Steelers are going through some issues with Bell right now that could end up similar to Watkins' situation. And the Pats are notorious for letting talent walk. See Jamie Collins last year as perfect example.

Pats have done what we did 15-20 times but nobody cares cause they keep winning...these guys don't have that juice yet, they haven't even won a game yet, let alone a super bowl

Edited by matter2003

A few things I take away from this trade. First and foremost this is the first move Buffalo has made in roughly a decade that doesnt reek of marketing or PR spin. To put it simply, this was not a Russ Brandon type move. Seems like the football minds are the ones with the final say for the first time in a long time.

Second, there is a vision being shown here. They now have ammo to reshape a roster that on the top is old and the bottom not entrirely talented. You can not fix a gunshot wound with a bandaid. The last few years Whaley was kicking the dead money down to road for win now moves that never showed on the win column.

Lastly, is Buffalo more talented today as they were Thursday? No they are not. However, is Buffalo a much worst football team today then they were Thursday? No they are not. I think both Matthews and Gaines will become starters before opening day. They are not as gifted players but i think they will be productive to a point that the team will not be negetively effected by their presence. Buffalo's playoff chance seem about the same to me. Still need a load of things to fall their way to get in. Going forward they have the ability to move up for a qb or add a significant amount of talent and youth to the roster. Were the moves shocking? Yes. Where the moves pure tank? No.

Cause you pick from the Patriot organization, since they've won the most, you'll be successful right?

- Romeo Crennell

- Charlie Weiss

- Josh McDaniels

- Scott Pioli

All have had success outside of New England.

I'm sure you know all the next up and coming GM's so you think you're a front office expert. Those guys are talked about a lot to the general public.

Cause you pick from the Patriot organization, since they've won the most, you'll be successful right?

- Romeo Crennell

- Charlie Weiss

- Josh McDaniels

- Scott Pioli

All have had success outside of New England.

I'm sure you know all the next up and coming GM's so you think you're a front office expert. Those guys are talked about a lot to the general public.

Did you think Dan Quinn or Ben MAC daddy Doo would suck? I think the majority of educated football guys knew they both had a good chance af success.

Lastly, is Buffalo more talented today as they were Thursday? No they are not. However, is Buffalo a much worst football team today then they were Thursday? No they are not. I think both Matthews and Gaines will become starters before opening day. They are not as gifted players but i think they will be productive to a point that the team will not be negetively effected by their presence. Buffalo's playoff chance seem about the same to me. Still need a load of things to fall their way to get in. Going forward they have the ability to move up for a qb or add a significant amount of talent and youth to the roster. Were the moves shocking? Yes. Where the moves pure tank? No.

I'll respectfully counter it this way:

Who was the only receiver in the NFL with whom Tyrod Taylor has a proven comfort level?

Who was the only cornerback on the roster at the start of training camp that has proven that he can play in the NFL at a high level?

By the simple metric of giving up those 2 players they're worse off. How much worse off is the question.

I guess most people arguing the trade don't get the fact that:

1)sammy might want more term and money than the Bills are prepared to pay.

2) The Tag is 13m + and its guaranteed.

3) He doesn't have to sign the tag and could demand a trade.

4) Didn't everyone give Whaley flack for sitting on Gilmore and not getting anything in return?

5) Time to move on 67% of fans like or understand the trades.

1) What good player doesn't want more money that the team is prepared to pay?

2) So what? Tons of cap room......no difference makers coming up for YEARS.....tons of vets coming off books.

3) Nobody has to report to camp.......they can all sit out and demand a trade.

4) No?

5) A higher percentage liked the Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch trades..........they were almost UNIVERSALLY liked.......and they went on to not just success but near certain HOF careers elsewhere. That's the nature of moves the team makes......most fans prefer to believe in whoever the Bills put a shirt and tie on. In the likely event that this regime fails......Brandon Beane will disappear without apology back to his beloved home in Carolina. He's playing with house money here just like Donahoe/Marv/Russ/Whaley.

Did you think Dan Quinn or Ben MAC daddy Doo would suck? I think the majority of educated football guys knew they both had a good chance af success.

Because they were successful as Assistants? Just like everyone I listed above?

Mike McCoy had the Broncos offense as historically great with a QB coming off of multiple neck surgeries. What happened to him in SD? He was one the most coveted HC's. Same with Chip Kelly. This list can go on and on.

Carolina just 2 years ago was 15-1 and in the Super Bowl which Beane was a part of. Same with their 12-4 season a few years earlier.

Those don't count.

Peters agent didn't want his player here and not many like the ML trade although he would have got his 3 strikes here.

That's not correct.

Parker wanted Peters to get LT money, whereas the team wanted Peters to play out the extension that they signed him to as a RT.

Money was the only issue. It's almost always the only issue.

Fans seem to make it about a player not wanting to be here, and I always struggle to understand that.

Because they were successful as Assistants? Just like everyone I listed above?

Mike McCoy had the Broncos offense as historically great with a QB coming off of multiple neck surgeries. What happened to him in SD? He was one the most coveted HC's. Same with Chip Kelly. This list can go on and on.

Carolina just 2 years ago was 15-1 and in the Super Bowl which Beane was a part of. Same with their 12-4 season a few years earlier.

Those don't count.

Chip Kelly had a history as a douche at UNH, long before Oregon. Many folks knew his high tempo offense would wear out his own team and it wouldn't provide enough of an advantage to make it worth while. Coaching is a lot more than success as a coordinator, the winning helps you get the interviews. I was high on both Quinn and McDaddy, they both ran systems that perform well in the current NFL and have the demeanor of a HC.

Mike McCoy looks like an emotional old man on the surface. Is that the leader you want around a bunch of 20-28 year olds? Another good example of a winning coordinator that isn't HC material is Matt Patricia. Read up on him and listen to his interviews. No freaking way is that guy leading a team.

It's far from a science as is all of football, but if you look closely you can find the most qualified frat boy and hope it pans out. I think Polian steered them towards McD. Just my personal hunch.

I understand it.

They need to justify why a good player is no longer here.

It's just unbelievably pathetic and wrong.

So if I think Watkins didn't really want to play in Buffalo catching 4 passes a game from Tyrod Taylor, I'm pathetic and wrong?

That's pretty harsh.