Peter King: Darby Hadn't Bought Into New Bills' Regime

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised there aren't more takes like this one...

"Why get rid of good young talent to do that"

THE POINT MANY ARE MISSING.

Beane has no ties to that good young talent, so he needs to go. Huge ego.

Because it has been answered numerous times in numerous threads.

And how do you expect them to do that with fans such as yourself kvetching at moves you don't like, and gathering with pitchforks and torches BEFORE THEY'VE EVEN GOTTEN TO A GAME?

Memo: Trading Watkins is part of an unnecessary trend of blowing up the team that King was talking about.

But at some point they’ve got to start keeping their top picks. That’s a big reason why Buffalo hasn’t been in the playoffs in 17 years.

The Watkins deal could hurt in the long run, for two reasons. He’s healthy this year after being plagued by a nagging foot injury. And the veterans on the Bills loved him, and won’t be happy with this deal. I can’t imagine LeSean McCoy singing kumbaya over this trade for the future. He wants to win now.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

And if Watkins walked at the end of his deal, whether they picked up the option and tagged him a couple times after that, people would be screaming that the Bills got nothing in return for him. To deny that you would be lying.

None of us knows if Watkins would have liked to have stayed here. Beane talked about "signability" in his PC.

Just read the whole quote, King says not buying in and also the scheme. So maybe there is something else. Maybe not happy about losing 2 friends, Gilmore and Roby. Roby was like his brother.

lol, what...he can't do his job because 2 of his friends left the company? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? Seriously, tell that to your boss...see how that goes.

Also, Watkins isn't "Healthy". He's already been missing camp time.

Edited by jeremy2020

I don't think anyone even remotely claims that Mathews for Watson makes us better today. I think part of it is the economics and Fit to the system. If you drive 30 miles to work every day and you only plan on driving 30 mile with an occasional 100 mile trip , do you really need a Ferari ? Maybe a nice lexus will do ? Then you can spend $$ on other things. Sammy would say bonehead things every once in a while but he was a good team mate and a great wide receiver when on the field. Brady does not beat us routinely with 75 yard bombs , he beats us with continued pressure from possession receivers. I believe they are planning to go to a more controlled offense sprinkled in with the deep pass . Will it work I have no idea but I can see what they are planning.

Stop making sense, although, rather than compare to the Brady offense, I'm more inclined to believe that McD is moving to something similar to the Chiefs offense. Outside of that stud TE they have, who else is "flashy"? Okay, Hill, certainly fits that mold, and their RB, Ware not to shabby, but that's the point. I think the more I look at our offense and comparing it to others around the league, it makes me think this is where they are going. Build a strong D through the draft, and carry the ship on offense. It's worked for the Chiefs, can it work for us, is still up in the air.

Tim-

Take everything management about why they traded him says as the truth.

Jeez it's like people learn nothing from the last 17 years.

So, what leads you to believe Beane is lying? Edited by Binghamton Beast

When you have a new boss and you want to stick around, best to play up that you are in agreement, especially if you disagree and are looking for a quick exit.

With superstars it may turn out a bit different, teams will bend over for top talent.

For all the rest of us it's a bus ticket if you tell them or show them beyond doubt that you disagree with where this is going.

Edited by row_33

I definitely read it as two separate issues - scheme fit and 'buying in'/attitude. I don't think Darby or Sammy 'bought into' the new regime, and because of that I imagine they didn't have quite the right attitude McD was looking for (either overtly or just generally).

In Beane's PC discussing the trade one of the things he said was

"There's a lot of guys that have jumped right on board, doing the things that Sean and his staff have asked and we look forward to continuing to work with those guys."[/size]

I took that as a lightly veiled shot at the guys who were leaving[/size]

You missed the part in the column re: Watkins that told what this was really about. It was about McBeane not " looking dumb" after 2017 if Sammy put up numbers. That's exactly what I said when I heard Beaner talk about " signability" . The entire matter comes down to foolishly not picking up the very affordable 5th year option. The smear campaign with thinly veiled comments are just that : damage control. Interesting that it was obvious to King what was going on and not so much to many posters here residing permanently in the OBD spin zone. King said the vets loved Sammy. Doesn't seem like a bad teammate to me. I hate constantly seeing this team purge talent simply because they are inept at management.

And if Watkins walked at the end of his deal, whether they picked up the option and tagged him a couple times after that, people would be screaming that the Bills got nothing in return for him. To deny that you would be lying.

None of us knows if Watkins would have liked to have stayed here. Beane talked about "signability" in his PC.

Why excuse poor player management outcomes before they happen. As if it is inevitable. Are the Bills not able to keep their star players? Recent history would say that isn't the case. Trading a player for a lower value return vs his worth tho the team is not a good deal. The 5 Th year option kept SW here two more seasons. That's lots of time to evaluate and work out a deal if warranted. Screwing up the option pickup should not be excused in this. It was a misstep that accelerated the timeline to get something done or risk looking foolish ,just as King said and I have said. Built in excuse making for the FO.

Memo: Trading Watkins is part of an unnecessary trend of blowing up the team that King was talking about.

But at some point they’ve got to start keeping their top picks. That’s a big reason why Buffalo hasn’t been in the playoffs in 17 years.

YES I agree cornerblitz. That's the same point I made in the other thread. And I am accused of TROLLING.

I've learned a lot about them the past few months.

They know more then everyone and they know what's best for the team. Never seen this before...

They certainly know more than you. Or me. Or others here. You know why? Because they have been in the league a long time and have access to a lot more data.

Doesn't mean every decision will be correct. But you're living in a fantasy land if you actually think you know more than they do about the NFL.

You missed the part in the column re: Watkins that told what this was really about. It was about McBeane not " looking dumb" after 2017 if Sammy put up numbers. That's exactly what I said when I heard Beaner talk about " signability" . The entire matter comes down to foolishly not picking up the very affordable 5th year option. The smear campaign with thinly veiled comments are just that : damage control. Interesting that it was obvious to King what was going on and not so much to many posters here residing permanently in the OBD spin zone. King said the vets loved Sammy. Doesn't seem like a bad teammate to me. I hate constantly seeing this team purge talent simply because they are inept at management.

. Is 12-13 million affordable?

To me it's pretty simple. You don't trade away a talent like Sammy Watkins for a draft pick. But your right, these guys are smarter.👍🏻

Just like Donahoe was, and Levy, and Jauron, and Nix, and Russ, and Whaley, and Rex. 👌🏻👌🏻

We should just all jump off a bridge then.

Every new regime will always be exactly the same I guess.

Everyone should be judged after a few months on the job.

To me it's pretty simple. You don't trade away a talent like Sammy Watkins for a draft pick. But your right, these guys are smarter.👍🏻

Just like Donahoe was, and Levy, and Jauron, and Nix, and Russ, and Whaley, and Rex. 👌🏻👌🏻

Your normal deflection to the past when you get caught saying something crazy. Beane and McD have nothing to do with previous regimes.

For the record I didn't like the trade. But unlike you it does not mean I think I know more overall than the guys running the show. Know why? Because as stated above they have a lot more data than I do.

If Sammy is truly healthy then it was a bad deal. Oh and by the way he wasn't traded for a draft pick. He was traded for Grimes and a draft pick. Get the deal right before criticizing.

Your normal deflection to the past when you get caught saying something crazy. Beane and McD have nothing to do with previous regimes.

For the record I didn't like the trade. But unlike you it does not mean I think I know more overall than the guys running the show. Know why? Because as stated above they have a lot more data than I do.

If Sammy is truly healthy then it was a bad deal. Oh and by the way he wasn't traded for a draft pick. He was traded for Grimes Gaines and a draft pick. Get the deal right before criticizing.

Making sure you got this right. B-)