How About A Thread For Those Cooling Off A Bit?

I'll start.....To define terms, I am looking at the trades as 1 move for the sake of this post.

In all, I am still against these moves because:

1) I think we could have received more than a #2 and a bad corner for Watkins.

2) I never thought Darby was THAT bad

3) We are now weak at WR despite an early pick in 2017.

4) I truly believe that out of the 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2018 draft, half or more will consist of running backs and secondary. That really sucks.

Despite the above, I am starting to cool off a bit from my initial burst of anger because:

1) Watkins, although extremely talented, PROBABLY didn't want to play here any more than Gilmore did. Although I am not one to endorse giving in to players (ala the Peters trade), I CAN appreciate that the new bosses want to play the games with their own players. I'm not convinced that they know what they are doing, but maybe they do have a clue.

2) It would seem to be a sure thing that they will draft a qb in 2018 and supposedly there are some good ones.

3) Maybe, just maybe I will be wrong about #3 above and the Bills will add some blockers and pass rushers.

4) There is nothing I can do about it and I am too old to allow myself to get as angry as I used to at the follies I have seen from this team.

5) No matter how mad I was or ever will be at the Bills, what's the difference? I will support them until I am carted off this planet.

Is anybody else tempering their hard line stance in either direction?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enter C.Bisquit97 with a Julio Jones/Sammy Watkins 3yr stat comparison in 3..2...1.......

5) No matter how mad I was or ever will be at the Bills, what's the difference? I will support them until I am carted off this planet.

+1

Edited by r00tabaga

I'm disappointed but mainly because we got so unlucky with Sammy. This could be the beginning of a new era for the Bills but as ever it's wait and see now. On the plus side, Brandon can't be involved much with football now there is no way Mr Marketing would let Sammy and Darby be traded.

I need to see these receivers work before I say we are weak at WR.....we appear to have a group of very good receivers but no elite ones.

Last year.....Goodwin at one point was like our best receiver on the field

They all appear to be scheme fits

I am just sad because Sammy was my favorite player.....Darby has struggled but looked good that 1st year...in a way he is a lot like Gaines

I think even though we lost Sammy we have the potential for a better offense than last season. So we might not be as good as we could with Sammy we have still improved on last season if these guys are healthy. We had so many injuries to wr last year. That could mean better play from tyrod and even shady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 2nd from the Rams is going to be in the 33-37 range. I liked Sammy too but being objective with everything we know I'm fine with it. I look st it this way. Let's say Sammy and Matthews put up like numbers and Gaines and Darby do also. This is quite possible. Come next April we will be extremely happy with these trades. Time will tell, Sammy was the fourth pick in the draft he could be great in the future. He also could hurt his foot again and be labeled as injury prone and never have the career we wanted him to have in Buffalo.

I'm disappointed but mainly because we got so unlucky with Sammy. This could be the beginning of a new era for the Bills but as ever it's wait and see now. On the plus side, Brandon can't be involved much with football now there is no way Mr Marketing would let Sammy and Darby be traded.

Exactly correct, and when you look at it that way, the arrow is finally pointed upward for this organization. The past regime has been completely repudiated, thanks Pegs. :) Edited by Rico

We took a step back and Beanes ridiculous were trying to win at all times has zero credibility. Ive said numerous times that Watkins injury issues were a big concern BUT there have been other star players with similar histories and to me this move demostrated a complete lack of patience and forsight. If the goal is to win, you keep one of your most explosive players, hope hes past the injury issue, and you put your best foot forward(no pun intended). You can franchise him next year and work on a long term deal.If your trying to rebuild. Gut the team as much as possible and shoot for 1-15. All this middling crap is gonna do is keep us between 6-10 and 8-8 for another decade. After a couple of days of cooling off this is all Ive got. Just more frustration and another wasted season. I feel bad for those of you who shell out your hard earned dollar for seasons tix. You deserve more.

So they should gut as much as possible, but when they trade a guy like Sammy that's wrong. Makes perfect sense.

Im saying go one way or the other. Not that hard to follow unless your just looking for a fight because you dont like what I wrote. I would have kept Watkins, maintained the offense, and concentrated on improving the defense. That better?

Edited by Billsmovinup

When it comes right down to it, love the move or hate it. The Bills really don't care about our opinions. They're gonna do what they're gonna do. Whether the goal is to win championship's or just make as much money as they can. They're going to stick to the plan.

I'm over it know. I realize that even if you are a season ticket holder, your opinion means nothing.

I'll always root for the only team I love. But I understand it's a business first.

We took a step back and Beanes ridiculous were trying to win at all times has zero credibility. Ive said numerous times that Watkins injury issues were a big concern BUT there have been other star players with similar histories and to me this move demostrated a complete lack of patience and forsight. If the goal is to win, you keep one of your most explosive players, hope hes past the injury issue, and you put your best foot forward(no pun intended). You can franchise him next year and work on a long term deal.If your trying to rebuild. Gut the team as much as possible and shoot for 1-15. All this middling crap is gonna do is keep us between 6-10 and 8-8 for another decade. After a couple of days of cooling off this is all Ive got. Just more frustration and another wasted season. I feel bad for those of you who shell out your hard earned dollar for seasons tix. You deserve more.

Just FYI we were 2-6 with Sammy in the lineup last year.

At first, I was pretty emotional about the trade. I was at the beach with my gf. When I got the update on phone she could literally see my mood go from one extreme to another. She stated it looked like I just found out my dog died.

Felt like a punch to the gut, I became pretty attached to Sammy, but, I also felt deep down the odds were against us resigning him. Darby, he was drafted to be a man coverage corner, but, the optimist in me wanted to believe Zone could help him bounce back from his sophomore slump.

I didn't know what the FO motive possibly could be at first. Then I took into account that Beane and McDermott recently came from a franchise that lost their number one WR in 2015 to injury but still were able to get to the Super Bowl with a strong defense, solid running game and a franchise QB. Does it mean they're going about it the right away? No at all. We don't have our franchise QB yet. I like Tyrod for his positive traits he brings to the team and think you can win with him if you have a very strong defense. It seems they're willing to trade off fan favorites and are willing to accept the backlash from it if it means they can acquire currency to get their franchise guy.

I'm willing to take the optimistic approach to this entire scenario. I know change can be nerve racking and uneasy. It's new, especially seeing we have not seen a GM or HC operate like this during the drought. I'm willing to embrace it, what else could go wrong? Another year without the playoffs?

In the end it taught me one thing; do not buy Bills jerseys 😂

I now have a Darby and Watkins jersey that will collect dust.

When it comes right down to it, love the move or hate it. The Bills really don't care about our opinions. They're gonna do what they're gonna do. Whether the goal is to win championship's or just make as much money as they can. They're going to stick to the plan.

I'm over it know. I realize that even if you are a season ticket holder, your opinion means nothing.

I'll always root for the only team I love. But I understand it's a business first.

I agree. And Ill be the first to admit Beane and Mcdermott have forgotten more about football than Ill ever know. Hopefully they prove just how little I know and theyll get us back to the playoffs asap. Edited by Billsmovinup

Im saying go one way or the other. Not that hard to follow unless your just looking for a fight because you dont like what I wrote. I would have kept Watkins, maintained the offense, and concentrated on improving the defense. That better?

Similar to my thought. Gutting would be ridiculous. I think something was going on in the background with Sammy

What made me feel a little better is that an LA Rams 2nd rounder might as well be a late 1st. They are picking top 5 for sure. If Gaines ends up starting then that's a bonus. For a guy that wasn't going to be re-signed and may very well not even re-sign with LA, I think that's an acceptable deal. Blame Whaley for trading so much to get Watkins in such a deep WR draft. That's not Beane's fault. He got what he could.

As for Darby, he is a man to man guy. He's not going to be physical enough to play zone and help out in the run. You change defenses you have to change personnel. It is what it is. If you don't want to get rid of good players that only fit certain schemes then don't change defenses so often. Ragland could be next

At first, I was pretty emotional about the trade. I was at the beach with my gf. When I got the update on phone she could literally see my mood go from one extreme to another. She stated it looked like I just found out my dog died.

Felt like a punch to the gut, I became pretty attached to Sammy, but, I also felt deep down the odds were against us resigning him. Darby, he was drafted to be a man coverage corner, but, the optimist in me wanted to believe Zone could help him bounce back from his sophomore slump.

I didn't know what the FO motive possibly could be at first. Then I took into account that Beane and McDermott recently came from a franchise that lost their number one WR in 2015 to injury but still were able to get to the Super Bowl with a strong defense, solid running game and a franchise QB. Does it mean they're going about it the right away? No at all. We don't have our franchise QB yet. I like Tyrod for his positive traits he brings to the team and think you can win with him if you have a very strong defense. It seems they're willing to trade off fan favorites and are willing to accept the backlash from it if it means they can acquire currency to get their franchise guy.

I'm willing to take the optimistic approach to this entire scenario. I know change can be nerve racking and uneasy. It's new, especially seeing we have not seen a GM or HC operate like this during the drought. I'm willing to embrace it, what else could go wrong? Another year without the playoffs?

In the end it taught me one thing; do not buy Bills jerseys

This is why i have my Fitzpatrick jersey, love that thing.

Just FYI we were 2-6 with Sammy in the lineup last year. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel free to tell me the points given up by the defense in those eight games. Having star caliber players on your team never hurts.

Now your head is in the right place. This year more than anything is about the defense. Our offense took 2 steps forward from last year but a half step back or of the two steps losing Sammy. If the defense takes 2 steps this team is good

Now your head is in the right place. This year more than anything is about the defense. Our offense took 2 steps forward from last year but a half step back or of the two steps losing Sammy. If the defense takes 2 steps this team is good Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My heads always been there. We were seventh in scoring after week fifteen last year despite some of our offensive shortcomings. Feels like its gonna flip flop again. D will be great. Offense will take two steps back. Round and round we go!!!

Edited by Billsmovinup

Really if you step back and look we fell off a bit with Matthews in for Sammy assuming a healthy Sammy. But we pick up Bolden so overall receiving corps better than last year with Sammy out. Run game is intact. Defense hopefully better. No reason to think we'll be so much worse because of the trade. Should be better really.

Really if you step back and look we fell off a bit with Matthews in for Sammy assuming a healthy Sammy. But we pick up Bolden so overall receiving corps better than last year with Sammy out. Run game is intact. Defense hopefully better. No reason to think we'll be so much worse because of the trade. Should be better really.

Bolden averaged less than 10 a catch last year. Not that hes ever been a deep threat but its a clear sign hes nearing the end. Not sure how much gas he has left. One of the things Rams players brought up was how the deep threat of Watkins will open things up for the rest of the offense because theyll have to play somebody over the top against them.These are pro football players saying that and its a valid point.

Bolden averaged less than 10 a catch last year. Not that hes ever been a deep threat but its a clear sign hes nearing the end. Not sure how much gas he has left. One of the things Rams players brought up was how the deep threat of Watkins will open things up for the rest of the offense because theyll have to play somebody over the top against them.These are pro football players saying that and its a valid point.

To me Sammy was wasted just sending him deep down the sideline too much. Dennison will mix things up. Jones can go deep. I see them splitting Shady out wide. Stuff like that.

The thing I'm worried about more than anything is Glenn. If he is out thenDawkins has to grow up really fast.

Sorry Bill, I think that Matthews is better than Sammy. I think the Guys in charge know a hell of a lot more than us fans. That is all we are, FANS. I don't think we went backwards with the Darby trade.

Go BILLS

JUST A LOVE THE BILLS FAN.

IMO we got good value overall in the 2 deals. I think some are undervaluing the extra draft picks because they talked themselves into believing that Whaley was doing a great job by drafting 1-2 decent players per year. He wasn't. If/when this current rookie class shows that McDermott & Beane know what they're doing in the draft, people will feel a lot better.

Bill, I'm with you. I can't do anything about it. Talent wise nobody who is a professional in the business is saying Bills improved as a team so that validates how we feel.

I'm hoping rookies and 2nd year players get the reps to grow this season. I'm looking forward to watching college football in 2017, and the draft and the pre-season that follows in 2018.

I think hes come off a bit selfish over the years. You don't hear jordy Nelson, Antonio brown, or Edelman complaining about targets, or NBA players making more money. Just doesn't seem like he's a fit for what they're trying to do, and they got a decent offer before it was too late.

I don't know if that's it, or what it is, but I feel like there were a bunch of factors

I know some will hate this but I never " liked" Sammy.

Like I liked Reed or Moulds or Loftin or even Robert Woods.

I liked what he did in 2015 on the field but I never felt like he was a team guy.

I also figured he'd be gone in a year so I'm glad he didn't just walk.

Can't tell if HC/GM know what they are doing or not. Won't know until well into this season or maybe next.

I'm good with the trades if they continue.

That they kept it quiet gives me hope they may be working more deals. Smart deals!!!

Worried we might not get high enough in the draft no matter how many picks we have to offer.

One thing I know, interesting times like we haven't seen in a while.

I've read quite a few posts from the OP and have great respect for his opinion and years of experience (suffering?) as a fellow Bills fan.

These trades, always a gamble no matter who they involve, hurt deeply for sure but I'll tell you, it's a good gamble IMHO. For all the supreme talent and potential Watkins flashed those glimpses of every-so-often but not often enough, Beane & Co. had to make a call eventually on him. Honestly, my gut, after living and breathing these damn Buffalo Bills for nearly 30 years now - the ONLY footballs team I've ever loved like this - tells me they just were never going to get more than 50% of Sammy Watkins in a Bills uniform. His foot was a big part of that equation but who really knows what it would be next that made him come up gimping from any particular play.

And I'm incredibly suspicious about what the docs may or may not have been telling the FO brass about that damn foot. I bet money it's going to be an issue this year again - even a small issue. If it costs him 2 games out, and let's say a high-ankle sprain costs another 3-4. That's just about what we've come to expect from Sammy. A little fragile. All that amazing talent and potential, but it doesn't mean squat if he's not on the field.

I would have pulled the trigger on this swap. The Bills are so set up for the 2018 draft and it's probably not a stretch to think Beane & Co. can do even a little better drafting that Whaley and the bunch before him. I mean, I love EJ Manuel as a person and character, but come on.

Edited by Mr Beavers

The thing is, no matter how you spin it they weren't going anywhere.

In 2016 you were 1-5 in your own division, had only 4 wins in the AFC

and they were jax, browns and bengals....No chance they would

have beaten Pats if the Pats didn't start an injured third string qb...

The farce Miami games where their running back was ripping

off 50 yards at a time was beyond ugly...etc etc etc

2016 was horrible..

Literally, there was nothing to build on, i don't see any other choice

for this organization than a change in direction.

I remember being told that the hiring of Rex was a great move, I'm being told the same about these trades, I don't buy it.

The last two years I was very apathetic about this team, then Rex gets canned and I felt excitement, now apathy strikes again.

The real rebuild begins next year when 20% of the team are rookies.

I'll start.....To define terms, I am looking at the trades as 1 move for the sake of this post.

In all, I am still against these moves because:

1) I think we could have received more than a #2 and a bad corner for Watkins.

2) I never thought Darby was THAT bad

3) We are now weak at WR despite an early pick in 2017.

4) I truly believe that out of the 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2018 draft, half or more will consist of running backs and secondary. That really sucks.

Despite the above, I am starting to cool off a bit from my initial burst of anger because:

1) Watkins, although extremely talented, PROBABLY didn't want to play here any more than Gilmore did. Although I am not one to endorse giving in to players (ala the Peters trade), I CAN appreciate that the new bosses want to play the games with their own players. I'm not convinced that they know what they are doing, but maybe they do have a clue.

2) It would seem to be a sure thing that they will draft a qb in 2018 and supposedly there are some good ones.

3) Maybe, just maybe I will be wrong about #3 above and the Bills will add some blockers and pass rushers.

4) There is nothing I can do about it and I am too old to allow myself to get as angry as I used to at the follies I have seen from this team.

Is anybody else tempering their hard line stance in either direction?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's like three players in the league that want to play in Buffalo, everyone else just comes here because they need employment.

In the end it taught me one thing; do not buy Bills jerseys

Your feelings were the exact same as mine including the wife statement.