How About A Thread For Those Cooling Off A Bit?

I'll start.....To define terms, I am looking at the trades as 1 move for the sake of this post.

In all, I am still against these moves because:

1) I think we could have received more than a #2 and a bad corner for Watkins.

2) I never thought Darby was THAT bad

3) We are now weak at WR despite an early pick in 2017.

4) I truly believe that out of the 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2018 draft, half or more will consist of running backs and secondary. That really sucks.

Despite the above, I am starting to cool off a bit from my initial burst of anger because:

1) Watkins, although extremely talented, PROBABLY didn't want to play here any more than Gilmore did. Although I am not one to endorse giving in to players (ala the Peters trade), I CAN appreciate that the new bosses want to play the games with their own players. I'm not convinced that they know what they are doing, but maybe they do have a clue.

2) It would seem to be a sure thing that they will draft a qb in 2018 and supposedly there are some good ones.

3) Maybe, just maybe I will be wrong about #3 above and the Bills will add some blockers and pass rushers.

4) There is nothing I can do about it and I am too old to allow myself to get as angry as I used to at the follies I have seen from this team.

5) No matter how mad I was or ever will be at the Bills, what's the difference? I will support them until I am carted off this planet.

Is anybody else tempering their hard line stance in either direction?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get why fans don't like the trade but think about it, how much longer can you bank on Watkins potential rather than what he really is? You state you think we could have landed more for Watkins, are you insinuating that he didn't try to get more for him? I think the Rams will have a top pick in the 2nd round, Cooks netted the Saints the 32nd overall pick, I think Watkins at this point is the lesser player and we got fair value, you also state we got a player in E.J. Gaines, you call him a bad player, you did know he won all 1st rookie honors in his rookie season correct? Bad players don't win those types of things in my eyes at least. You're judging him solely on his season last year, after his rookie season he had a terrible lisfranc injury and missed his entire 2nd year, came back this year and struggled, the jury is still out with him but to just blindly call him a bad player because he isn't a household name is a mistake imo.

You state were weak at WR, let me ask you this, when Watkins went down with injury last season we were starting Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and Greg Salas. Do you really believe Jordan Matthews, Anquan Boldin and Zay Jones is a worse bunch then those 3 I mentioned? I think were much improved imo, I didn't add Watkins because he wasn't in the lineup for almost the entire season, he was injured the year before also. We have a solid trio right now, are they record breakers? Most likely not but they are more than capable of making it to the playoffs if we can all stay healthy.

How could you possibly know who will be drafted where before the college football season begins or ends?

I get why fans don't like the trade but think about it, how much longer can you bank on Watkins potential rather than what he really is? You state you think we could have landed more for Watkins, are you insinuating that he didn't try to get more for him? I think the Rams will have a top pick in the 2nd round, Cooks netted the Saints the 32nd overall pick, I think Watkins at this point is the lesser player and we got fair value, you also state we got a player in E.J. Gaines, you call him a bad player, you did know he won all 1st rookie honors in his rookie season correct? Bad players don't win those types of things in my eyes at least. You're judging him solely on his season last year, after his rookie season he had a terrible lisfranc injury and missed his entire 2nd year, came back this year and struggled, the jury is still out with him but to just blindly call him a bad player because he isn't a household name is a mistake imo.

You state were weak at WR, let me ask you this, when Watkins went down with injury last season we were starting Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and Greg Salas. Do you really believe Jordan Matthews, Anquan Boldin and Zay Jones is a worse bunch then those 3 I mentioned? I think were much improved imo, I didn't add Watkins because he wasn't in the lineup for almost the entire season, he was injured the year before also. We have a solid trio right now, are they record breakers? Most likely not but they are more than capable of making it to the playoffs if we can all stay healthy.

How could you possibly know who will be drafted where before the college football season begins or ends?

A 24-year-old elite wide receiver?

So they should gut as much as possible, but when they trade a guy like Sammy that's wrong. Makes perfect sense.

i think the problem is they didnt gut anything but sammy and darby. if they want to "rebuild the foundation", why did we keep dareus. we could have taken that hit and not signed who we did... McCoy? Tyrod? why are they still here... i said in another post. Tyrod doesnt give us the best chance... TJ Yates does. we want to be bad we could have a billion draft picks and a rediculous amount of money under next years cap. So middling is thr philosophy, lets rebuild while tearing it all apart. You cant really have it both ways.

I think the key to this season will be the play of both offensive tackles. Between Glenn's foot/ankle problems and Mills inconsistency, I'm worried about the play of our O-line, especially in pass protection. We may get to see Peterman as the starter sooner rather than later if Taylor gets destroyed out there.

What if...

What if the stars align, and the Bills go 10-6 enroute to a playoff berth? Was this scenario more likely a week ago? Probably. Is it completely out of the realm of realistic possibility? I would submit that it is not. Therefore, I will choose to believe in the hope of a new season, until it's proven otherwise. Go Bills...

Seriously? Go to www.drafthistory.com. It will tell you what this team has done wrt the draft since the team was founded.

Posters on this board have correctly predicted first round draft choices year after year, and I am including McKelvin, Gilmore, Spiller and even Watkins and many others. It hasn't been so hard to do.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Seriously? Go to www.drafthistory.com. It will tell you what this team has done wrt the draft since the team was founded.

Posters on this board have correctly predicted first round draft choices year after year, and I am including McKelvin, Gilmore, Spiller and even Watkins and many others. It hasn't been so hard to do.

And indeed this year as soon as we traded back I said on this forum "I think Tre White makes a lot of sense at that spot if he is still there." Which he was.

Not sure I'd have picked him a year out though. You will remember I did you a break down Bill that demonstrated that in Beane's tenure with the Panthers their spend on defensive backs in the draft was not significant. 2016 was a bit of the odd one out and came after years of nothing better than 4th round picks and low end FAs at CB and S. I think Beane might finally be your kind of GM.....

Edited by GunnerBill

I think the Bill's have a fine group of tall WRs now .

Going back to 4-3 is great for the DL but switching to zone after losing Gilmore and Darby have to wait and see.

The 2018 draft will be critical . If they go 8-8 this season I would be impressed with all the changes and player turnover

Could be every day, they'd here comments form Sammy like "Yeah the foot is still bothering me a little bit, but I'm fine to go" Made them realize he's always going to be a question mark and yes you could franchise him and sign him long term. But once he has the deal, will the foot then bother him more. Maybe they felt he wasn't one to play through pain much??

Kind of ironic on a way we traded a guy with a bad foot for a guy with a bad foot!

Similar to my thought. Gutting would be ridiculous. I think something was going on in the background with Sammy

You will remember I did you a break down Bill that demonstrated that in Beane's tenure with the Panthers their spend on defensive backs in the draft was not significant. 2016 was a bit of the odd one out and came after years of nothing better than 4th round picks and low end FAs at CB and S. I think Beane might finally be your kind of GM.....

That would be great GB! One good draft could put us on the map in a year or 2. I would love to see a top qb AND strengthen the OL for him.

That would be great GB! One good draft could put us on the map in a year or 2. I would love to see a top qb AND strengthen the OL for him.

I think they are going to draft a Quarterback, possibly trading up to do so. Beyond that I suspect O-line does see some action. Richie is $7.5m against the cap next year and is cuttable for very little dead $ - he is also 34 years old. Cordy is a top tier LT but if the health questions linger all year again and Dawkins is not able to hold the fort (I actually think Dawkins will be better on the left than the right) then you could see them do something there.... though I suspect for cap reasons they'd roll with Cordy at least one more year. Eric Wood could be in his last year with the team..... I expect some more growth from John Miller in pass protection this year and he is a pretty decent right guard already. If Mills ends up starting this year they still need a right tackle.

Pass rush depth is another obvious need. Behind Shaq and Hughes it is the wildcard Yarbrough and then diddly squat.

BIll in NYC: I like this Voice of Reason stuff. Keep it up and you'll likely get banned.

Just FYI we were 2-6 with Sammy in the lineup last year. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another reason why I don't think the trade hurts the Bills a lot in 2017. A fully healthy, committed Sammy was a key to making that elusive serious playoff run (think "at least 10-6", not limping into the playoffs because other teams fall down around you), but come on, that was very unlikely to happen. They waited too long to trade Sammy so it was only after he proved his temporary health in preseason Game 1 that they even got a 2nd rounder and an ailing CB for him. From the Rams fan's perspective, this kind of looks like deja vu for Sammy -- bringing him in is a desperation move to prove to your fan base (yourself if you're the GM?) that you didn't blow it by drafting EJ Manuel/Jared Goff as the presumptive franchise QB.

I was originally p!ssed when I heard about trading away Sammy & Darby but after taking some time and really looking at the long-term, it does seem like some good moves to build for the future. I'm willing to give this new team a chance so we shall see.

After 1 preseason game, I'm glad to see Nate moving up to the second string and am looking forward to seeing what he can do. I'm also ready to release Taiwan Jones & Joe Banyard - thought they looked sub-par during that first pre-season game, enough to want to see others take those reps.

Go Bills!!!!!