The Plan (Kirk Cousins)

SectionC3

as long as this team doens't have a qb looking forward is always going to part of our dna. It doesn't mean we are throwing the towel in on the season. As for Cousins I can see a scenerio were he hits free agency unfortunetly it is not likely. No doubt there will be some serious qb muscial chairs after the season. The bills are armed and ready to stop the music and land one

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly high on Garoppolo. I don't see him turning into a dud like Cassel. The 2018 off-season will be interesting for the Pats. I'm a little worried about his durability since he was injured after only playing 1 and a half games last year.

He's played 2 1/2 games and left dir to injury.

When he wins 11 games in a season we can discuss it further.

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

Now, the transition tag after this season for Kirk Cousins will be $28,732,320, the franchise tag $34,478,784.

He's getting paid, somewhere

As far as the transition tag goes, which would cost the Redskins $28,732,320, the reason why that’s less than the franchise tag is that it would give another NFL team the ability to sign Cousins to an offer sheet.

If that happened, then the Redskins would have seven days to match

Could you imagine giving Belichick a ransom of draft picks for Jimmy, allowing him to restock his roster Post-Brady?

Bellichick isn't some draft pick guru...he has plenty of players that haven't panned out...He's about average, he just has more picks to use...in fact that's part of his philosophy...statistically you are going to hit on about 50-55% of picks at best, so giving yourself more chances increases the likelihood of getting good players.

Why would we draft a mid tier guy when we clearly have the leverage to move up and get a top prospect?

The plan right now is dead simple. Tyrod is either going to win or he's out. That's why we have the picks, to move up and get Beane's guy if Tyrod fails.

As best I can discern this is the plan following the events of this week. Perhaps the future of the Bills is linked with that of Kirk Cousins (and, arguably, a combination of Marcus Mariota and Jared Goff).

1. Cut the trio of Holmes/Davis/Ducasse (at this point none is essential) to secure extra third round pick in 2018.

2. Shop Ragland for mid-round pick.

3. Attempt to win in 2017 with Tyrod at QB.

4. Use 2017 to build culture; determine who wants to be here, who does not, and who are the bad seeds (if any) who need to be removed.

5. If Tyrod is not the long-term answer at QB, then attempt to secure QB through FA. Top (and perhaps only) targets are Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garropolo.

6. If successful, apply 2018 draft capital in part to build team quickly, and in part to selectively move down to secure additional selections in future years.

7. If unsuccessful in obtaining QB through free agency, hope that (a) a team other than NYJ, Cleveland, and SF (all of which are likely to draft QB) holds one of the first three picks, and (b) attempt to trade for that pick using draft capital. Perhaps the Rams having an awful year, and Marcus Mariota playing well, is a reasonable hope for this. In the alternative, hope that Kirk Cousins signs in SF, or Garropolo in CLE, or both, and then attempt to trade for such pick using draft capital.

8. If neither path to a QB is available, and if not at the top of the draft, select perhaps a second-tier QB (e.g., Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, etc.) with one first-round pick, hope for the best, and continue to build as outlined in step 6.

9. Win. A lot. And especially 2x year against NE.

A second tier QB isn't an option anymore...

Bellichick isn't some draft pick guru...he has plenty of players that haven't panned out...He's about average, he just has more picks to use...in fact that's part of his philosophy...statistically you are going to hit on about 50-55% of picks at best, so giving yourself more chances increases the likelihood of getting good players.

I'm glad someone said this. The average Bills fan probably thinks that Belichick is more around 75% successful hitting on draft picks.

Why would we draft a mid tier guy when we clearly have the leverage to move up and get a top prospect?

The plan right now is dead simple. Tyrod is either going to win or he's out. That's why we have the picks, to move up and get Beane's guy if Tyrod fails.

You do understand that in order to move up another team has to be willing to trade. It doesn't automatically happen.

Since the trades, I've been thinking a lot about what that draft capital might bring. It dawned on me that it's possible that after another dismal season in Indianapolis, they might go into total rebuild mode. If this happens, might Andrew Luck be available for a couple first-round picks?

Would this be something the Bills would consider after his shoulder issues?

What if there are two "can't mss" QB prospects and the two teams at the top of the draft want those QBs and refuse to trade out. Then what?

Kirk Cousins is not coming to Buffalo. You can bet the farm on that. He'll most likey be a member of the 49ers come March 2018 on a huge contract and reunite with Kyle Shanahan.

All the better if SF has a top two pick this year. But what if cousins has a down year and SF prefers a draftee to him? Point of the thread is that the bills have options that improve if the FA QBs play well.

What if there are two "can't mss" QB prospects and the two teams at the top of the draft want those QBs and refuse to trade out. Then what?

All the better if SF has a top two pick this year. But what if cousins has a down year and SF prefers a draftee to him? Point of the thread is that the bills have options that improve if the FA QBs play well.

If Cousins has a down year I wouldn't want him. I think he would be a soild QB. Questions remain if he's a championship caliber QB. Personally I have doubts about his ability reach that level. A down season from Cousins would only increase those doubts.

If Cousins has a down year I wouldn't want him. I think he would be a soild QB. Questions remain if he's a championship caliber QB. Personally I have doubts about his ability reach that level. A down season from Cousins would only increase those doubts.

Makes sense to me. And if SF feels the same way, and drafts top 2 next year ... to paraphrase Young MC, there's one more QB you won't be getting.

Kirk Cousins is over rated and over paid because the Redskins can't get out of their own way on this.

Does that change the fact that a good year from him helps us? What if Kyle Shanahan prefers him to Josh Rosen next year, signs Cousins, and wants to deal out if the two slot? With our draft capital, win for us if we believe in Josh Rosen (and can get him at 2).

Another point - says cousins (or garrapolo) is a "B+" QB and singable by bills in FA. Would you rather have "B+" and a shot to build fast with our draft capital? Or would you prefer to spend the capital in a shot at an "A" QB and see what happens from there. I might take the former option, but ultimately I'm undecided myself.

Edited by SectionC3

I'm fairly high on Garoppolo. I don't see him turning into a dud like Cassel. The 2018 off-season will be interesting for the Pats. I'm a little worried about his durability since he was injured after only playing 1 and a half games last year.

Please, no thanks, I don't see him as a starter much less a franchise guy. Let's take our shot at the rooks coming out.

I'm glad someone said this. The average Bills fan probably thinks that Belichick is more around 75% successful hitting on draft picks.

BB has had the luxury of a HOF and sturdy QB - and one that moves his contract numbers around to keep the rest of the team viable. You can shoot 50% in the draft, trade them when they have the most value and restock and still win with a great QB. No Brady and BB is not a genius, but a HOF coach for sure. Let's lose the god-like halo he has. He has the right system, right QB and a very good defensive mind. It adds up to success. Take away Brady and the Pats are a contending team year to year but not a dynasty.

Id pass on Cousins, I for one hope TT steps up so we can keep all those draft picks

That's a big hope - and not realistic. We've seen TT's ceiling. He's the best QB we've had since Kelly, but not a guy you build the franchise on. I don't denigrate him. I'm happy to have him, but let's be realistic.

So now we need to not only cheer for the Bills to do bad, we also need to cheer for the guys we want to get next year to have a bad year too?

I plan to root for us to win as many games as possible and Hotrod to have a great year. I know that messes things up, but that's what I'm rooting for anyway.

Edited by reddogblitz

So now we need to not only cheer for the Bills to do bad, we also need to cheer for the guys we want to get next year to have a bad year too?

I plan to root for us to win as many games as possible and Hotrod to have a great year. I know that messes things up, but that's what I'm rooting for anyway.

You miss the point. Assuming the redskins don't tag him again, the better cousins plays the better shape we're in. He might be the key to the whole "thing."

You do understand that in order to move up another team has to be willing to trade. It doesn't automatically happen.

You do understand that every year, teams trade out of the draft position they're in?

All it takes is a team to have a bad year with a recently drafted QB already playing for them. It's just as likely we move up as it is that we land a big FA signing or that Tyrod succeeds this year under the new system.

Edited by Luka

You do understand that every year, teams trade out of the draft position they're in?

All it takes is a team to have a bad year with a recently drafted QB already playing for them. It's just as likely we move up as it is that we land a big FA signing or that Tyrod succeeds this year under the new system.

So I'll pose the question: suppose that the NYJ and SF draft 1 and 2 next year, that neither team likes a QB in the free agent class/trade class, and that there are only two franchise QBs in the draft. Do you really expect either of those teams to trade out of their respective spots?

Along those lines, I know a guy who rented in the Main-Seneca building downtown. It recently was purchased by a guy whose redevelopment plan relied on the purchase of the parking garage next to the baseball stadium and adjacent to the seneca one tower. The developer was "going to" purchase the garage -- he assumed he would get it -- until Doug Jemal came along. So much as the developer shouldn't have assumed he would get that garage, we shouldn't assume we will be able to trade into a position to draft a ranchise QB.

What this really comes down to is if cousins plays lights out, or if somebody falls in love with garrapolo, and if we aren't in position to draft one if the top QBs, it's reasonable to suggest that a team in position to so draft might like the idea of cousins + the bills' draft bounty better than darnold, etc. and no draft bounty. A team in that position that takes cousins might come out of next year's draft with six good new starters -- free agent QB, two bills firsts, two bills seconds, and own second. That might be our best path to a franchise QB -- without tanking this season.

Riduculous trades that won't ever happen, knowledge of football other than video game ratings, I can go on and on but it's not worth it and who am I, right?

I'm part of the madden generation. Not sure if you're targeting me, but there is nothing ridiculous in my analysis. For what it's worth it appears to be the path our team is taking.

They are building for the future. They will not use al those assets in a single draft. Best case scenario they draft five players and keep making moves in the draft - DOWN. They can get 5 players, and pick up more draft picks in 2019. That is how they build a long term winner. Not by giving away picks to move up only a few spots.

60% chance TT is the QB in 2018.

20% chance it is a FA

20 % chance it is a rookie first round draft pick