Who will be our outside WR?

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso

Chris Trapasso Retweeted ATV3

I think Matthews is better suited to play on the outside. But that's nitpicking. Both have the size / athleticism to play on the boundary

Nick @Bigcuzz205 3m3 minutes ago

Replying to @ChrisTrapasso

I think it's worth a shot

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have unknown talent. Zay Jones and Matthews should be able to play outside.

Matthews isn't unknown. He's terrible outside.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/8/13/16140094/jordan-matthews-throw-in-eagles-bills-trade-contract-extension-philadelphia-ronald-darby-watkins

Im real curious about how he even fits in Buffalo. Anquan Boldin and rookie Zay Jones are already slot guys. Thats where Matthews has played in most of his career. Maybe the Bills will try him on the outside, but he hasnt had success there in limited playing time. In 2016, Matthews played on the outside for 32.9% of Philadelphias offensive snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. Matthews was targeted 40 times when not playing in the slot. He had 20 receptions for 222 yards (a paltry 11.1 average).

They are all slot receivers none have the speed to play outside.

Matthews at 4.46 and Jones at 4.45 for their 40 times most definitely have the speed to play outside. Boldin definitely is better suited for the slot, but I feel like his lack of burner speed wouldn't matter on the outside in the red zone.

3 pages of people not being able to find an outside receiver. Be logical people:

1. You need some presence outside to win.

2. Beane is a win now guy.

That right there means you are all missing something. It's like when we got rid of Pat Williams because you can't win with fat guys.

Zay Jones on the outside has Josh Reed written all over it. He's the prototypical slot WR. But since Boldin is here I guess Zay lines up outside with Matthews. Most of these receivers are for the most part interchangeable. We really need the TE position to step up this year.

Zay J is my bet/hope

4.45 forty for Zay. Sammy ran a 4.43. Hopefully Zay adjusts to the NFL quickly. He certainly has the speed to play on the outside as an X.

Matthews at 4.46 and Jones at 4.45 for their 40 times most definitely have the speed to play outside. Boldin definitely is better suited for the slot, but I feel like his lack of burner speed wouldn't matter on the outside in the red zone.

Whoops. Didn't see that you slready covered Jones.

I think Streater and Holmes can stretch the field, and hopefully Zay. They can rotate out Matthews or Boldin for Holmes or Streater if they need more than 1 deep threat on the field with Zay - could be kind of situational. I think they will be better than Glass. See below from a Raiders blog when they were trying to retain Holmes a year ago:

Holmes will likely never reach his 2014 production again in Oakland, but he is a very useful receiver to have as evidenced by his four touchdowns last season. A player who has both height and speed as a deep threat who is also dangerous in the endzone, Holmes staying in Oakland would be an underrated success for the team’s offensive attack with how the 6’5″ continues to make plays for the Silver and Black.

Fastest two WR's on our roster are Streater and Ross. Ross has legitimate down field speed, some experience but mainly is a returner at this point. Streator has 4.35 speed at 6-2 and has a nice 14.0 career average. My bet is one of these guys land the job or both. Ross lived and worked out with Jackson playing for Washington. Not all is lost, we have 3-4 other guys that run 4.5's so we can move the ball.

I'm not sure if it will matter that much who plays where. From what I understood is that each guy will play in multiple roles. Sammy was primarily on the outside, but Boldin, Mathews, and Jones all have experience lining up in multiple positions. We could see a lot of bunch WR/TE/RB sets more so than a single flanker on either side. Even with a guy flanked out, I doubt he would be the primary target. Just a decoy to keep the safety over top. Most likely would be a different guy each time, that could be moving in motion to identify the coverage type.

Agree. I think it will be situational. When they are looking for an 8 yard gain, Zay, Matthews and Boldin all make sense. When they need to take the top off either as a decoy or trying to hit the home run, I think Matthews or Boldin will rotate out and Holmes (or maybe Streater) will rotate in. I really, really like Matthews, but everything I have read is his strength is finding gaps in the coverage on intermediate routes, principally from the slot. And everything I have read is he struggles gaining separation when outside. I would not think they would force him to play roles he has not been too successful in, but agree he can run what he runs well from the outside as well as slot based on scheme.

West

Coast

Offense

Doesnt

REQUIRE

Stretching

The

Field

Vertically

Imaginative post. Nice job.

It would be great, though, if we could stretch the field both horizontally, as in the traditional WC offense, and vertically at the same time. Ideally, the offense forces the D to defend the entire field.

West

Coast

Offense

Doesnt

REQUIRE

Stretching

The

Field

Vertically

Doesn't hurt, but it's ironically our QBs strong suit, so much for fitting the scheme to your players. But what I am worried about is that it requires a QB that can lead his receivers, throw them open, and execute timing routes. I don't know how this is going to work for TT.

6'1 4.45 Zay and 6'3 4.46 Jordan outside. Anquan in slot. 6'2 4.36 Streater has been impressive, and will be be our speed guy. Brandon Tate is our return guy. And Logan Thomas will factor in. I am sure we will sift through player cuts searching for WR. But we might keep only 5 WR's IMO

Oops I forgot about Andre Holmes

I agree that they will send Streater deep a la Goodwin's role from previous years. The most important things for a NFL WR success are route running and hands. I like Zay's hands a lot but has a rookie he will be working on the routes this year. Boldin has both in spades. Matthews is a good route runner and is criticized for drops.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Imaginative post. Nice job.

It would be great, though, if we could stretch the field both horizontally, as in the traditional WC offense, and vertically at the same time. Ideally, the offense forces the D to defend the entire field.

Plus Kubiak's O loves the deep play action pass, so that's not entirely true.

Streater looks legit, and Zay is gonna need to learn to play the outside all the time, we essentially have two premier proven slot guys in boldin and Matthews.

i keep saying this but it bears repeating: we scored 25 ppg last year with Sammy basically a non factor until the very end. This offense can hold its own (Glenn is a big factor of course).

TT is never going to be a gunslinger, but he and shady are probably the two most fun athletes to watch improvise in the entire league.

dont worry about the wr's, we'll be fine. nice to have the jets on our home opener, give us a chance to adapt all these new players and still get a W.

West

Coast

Offense

Doesnt

REQUIRE

Stretching

The

Field

Vertically

That's incorrect. One of the fundamentals of the WCO is replacing some of the running game with short passes. But that isn't the whole system. Another fundamental is the use of Hi-Lo concepts in the passing game. A vertical threat comes in pretty handy for that.

Chris Trapasso‏ @ChrisTrapasso

Chris Trapasso Retweeted ATV3

I think Matthews is better suited to play on the outside. But that's nitpicking. Both have the size / athleticism to play on the boundary

Nick‏ @Bigcuzz205 3m3 minutes ago

Replying to @ChrisTrapasso

I think it's worth a shot

Nick‏ @Bigcuzz205 3m3 minutes ago

DHHer0DUAAIgWMe.jpg

His former team tried him out there and he was MUCH better in slot. And the chart tell me NADA those TGTs very well could have been run from the Slot.

6'1 4.45 Zay and 6'3 4.46 Jordan outside. Anquan in slot. 6'2 4.36 Streater has been impressive, and will be be our speed guy. Brandon Tate is our return guy. And Logan Thomas will factor in. I am sure we will sift through player cuts searching for WR. But we might keep only 5 WR's IMO

Oops I forgot about Andre Holmes

Holmes sticks until we can either bring someone along through PS, or if someone becomes available after roster cut downs. I think the comp-pick is too good to pass up.

Brandon Tate has decent receiving stats (65 catches, 15.7, 6 TDF's) from earlier in his career, and, the Bills seem to think Powell has potential. Ross only has 9 career receptions, but who knows?

Powell also doesn't factor until his suspension is up - so he could also move up if we still want to move on from Holmes.

it does require pre-snap reads, quick decisions and throwing to spots...you know, the things your QB has shown no ability to do

new phone who dis

That's incorrect. One of the fundamentals of the WCO is replacing some of the running game with short passes. But that isn't the whole system. Another fundamental is the use of Hi-Lo concepts in the passing game. A vertical threat comes in pretty handy for that.

i think confusion sets in if you watch say Matt Shaub or the end of Peyton Manning in Denison's offense because their arms were both falling off and he had to limit some things. He will have to limit different things with TT, but others open up (deep balls, QB mobility)