The Buffalo news has new Bills columnists (Peace out, Kmart)

Kimberley Martin, formerly covered NY Jets for Newsday

@KMart_BN

For those who *haven't* heard the exciting news: I've accepted a sports columnist position at @TheBuffaloNews...

Definitely a more diverse reporter than they've had in the past (seemed like mostly all grumpy white males)

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't be worse, right?

I never go there, but I hear all the complaints.

i don't read much from TBN either because I don't think the columnists are any good, but I'll give her a shot since she's new. You never know, could be decent.

I don't care if positive or negative. Just looking for knowledgeable columns worth reading.

i don't read much from TBN either because I don't think the columnists are any good, but I'll give her a shot since she's new. You never know, could be decent.

I don't care if positive or negative. Just looking for knowledgeable columns worth reading.

True, if it's good stuff, I'll click. There should be some negative reporting, because we are not on a Super Bowl run. Objective and informed would be nice. Edited by Augie

True, if it's good stuff, I'll click. There should be some negative reporting, because we are not on a Super Bowl run. Objective and informed would be nice.

of course. Negative when warranted is fine and expected. I just like balanced reporting and knowledgeable writers. Not Skurski who thinks you need to fit 90 players under the salary cap. Or Sully who embarrasses himself at press conferences and instead of gathering real info just dusts off old columns and changes a few names around.

of course. Negative when warranted is fine and expected. I just like balanced reporting and knowledgeable writers. Not Skurski who thinks you need to fit 90 players under the salary cap. Or Sully who embarrasses himself at press conferences and instead of gathering real info just dusts off old columns and changes a few names around.

Sully has roughly 5 columns drafted up and then just fills in some blanks like he's playing mad libs

@KMart_BN

For those who *haven't* heard the exciting news: I've accepted a sports columnist position at @TheBuffaloNews...

Definitely a more diverse reporter than they've had in the past (seemed like mostly all grumpy white males)

Those evil white males. Would like to see the responses if if you said bitchy black females.

@KMart_BN

The ones that come here are grumpy white males too... LOL

@KMart_BN

I've noticed less and less Jerry Sullivan & Bucky Gleason articles and more stuff by the newer guys, which is a very welcome change IMO. They almost seem to maybe be very slowly phasing out the old blood (unless that's just my wishful thinking), or at least mixing in a lot more stuff by the new blood.

Hopefully they continue bringing in new writers...

She left Manhattan for Buffalo?

Manhattan is the most overrated place on the planet to live. It's cool to say you did the whole "NYC" thing but you just are living like a broke college kid and overpaying for everything. It's amazing!

That said, McFadden's is the best Bills bar I've ever been too. And it's nice to have some eye candy reporting on the Bills besides Mike Rodak. Good hire!

Manhattan is the most overrated place on the planet to live. It's cool to say you did the whole "NYC" thing but you just are living like a broke college kid and overpaying for everything. It's amazing!

That said, McFadden's is the best Bills bar I've ever been too. And it's nice to have some eye candy reporting on the Bills besides Mike Rodak. Good hire!

I've lived in Manhattan. I've lived in Buffalo. I love both places. I'm speaking from a career perspective -- it's hard to imagine your career gets a "jump start" when you move from NYC to Buffalo -- particularly when your vocation is entertainment media. Do you disagree?

I've lived in Manhattan. I've lived in Buffalo. I love both places. I'm speaking from a career perspective -- it's hard to imagine your career gets a "jump start" when you move from NYC to Buffalo -- particularly when your vocation is entertainment media. Do you disagree?

My brother went to NYC to start his career in journalism . On paper, it seemed great but that's what everyone in NYC is trying to do. He was told if you really want to become something in the "business" you have to pay your dues in smaller markets and establish yourself first. I have a friend who works in weather and is stationed in Montana. He just had an interview in Buffalo which would be a major jump.

Obviously, it's not the same for everyone but Buffalo might be a better chance for her to really establish herself. And I'm sure if she does well, she will move to somewhere else. It's kinda how the field works.

Hopefully she fills the void left by Tyler Dunne (or Larry Felser for the old-timers).

I don't read Sully or Gleason except for once in a while by accident. I'll read Vic here and there if my fellow posters tell me he's written an atypically good piece.

Edited by hondo in seattle

My brother went to NYC to start his career in journalism . On paper, it seemed great but that's what everyone in NYC is trying to do. He was told if you really want to become something in the "business" you have to pay your dues in smaller markets and establish yourself first. I have a friend who works in weather and is stationed in Montana. He just had an interview in Buffalo which would be a major jump.

Obviously, it's not the same for everyone but Buffalo might be a better chance for her to really establish herself. And I'm sure if she does well, she will move to somewhere else. It's kinda how the field works.

She was already a blogger for the Jets and worked for a major paper. I still find it dubious.

She was already a blogger for the Jets and worked for a major paper. I still find it dubious.

I'm would assume it's a bigger role and cash upgrade. I mean if she's getting paid the same as she was in NYC, it is a pay upgrade.

But it's just nice to have someone different than the normal Buffalo media member. I hope she's good and I have no doubt she will be better at breaking Bills news than the current media.

I'm would assume it's a bigger role and cash upgrade. I mean if she's getting paid the same as she was in NYC, it is a pay upgrade.

But it's just nice to have someone different than the normal Buffalo media member. I hope she's good and I have no doubt she will be better at breaking Bills news than the current media.

She definitely came for a reason. And yes, I hope she adds a refreshed perspective. It will be interesting to see how she compares the Jets and Bills organizations (if she writes about it).

Are we allowed to read her columns if she's critical of the Bills? I feel so conflicted......

I miss the afternoon show with The Coach and Art Wander ripping the declining Kelly Era Bills a new one for hours every day on WGR.

Nothing in print in 2017 could be close to matching those masterpieces.

I miss the afternoon show with The Coach and Art Wander ripping the declining Kelly Era Bills a new one for hours every day on WGR.

Nothing in print in 2017 could be close to matching those masterpieces.

Which should remind everyone even the great Jim Kelly was called a bum by local fans.

Which should remind everyone even the great Jim Kelly was called a bum by local fans.

Kelly wasn't a target by those two.

Marv was.

The O-line was ripped.... the fat girls down the street would be better at blocking, the ball was snapped and these guys fell on their back like 2-dollar *****s...

Well, he did choke in 4 straight SBs...

I see it as being totally outcoached by Parcells and Belichick and then the Bills got mercilessly impaled on a stick to die in the hot sun the last 3.

Edited by row_33