Sherman says players should strike!

Richard Sherman is stating NFL players need to consider striking to get better deals like the NBA and MLB. He then praises NBA players for being smart and working around the cap by taking 2 year deals.

NBA players like KD and LeBron are sitting there taking two-year deals like it's nothing," Sherman said. "They figure, 'I'll take a two-year deal because I'm going to wait for the salary cap to increase and get another bite at the apple.' In our sport, they won't do it."

Great idea Richard when you consider the average NFL career is only three years long. Losing 1/2 years salary will look real good when you only play for three seasons!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully guaranteed deals aren't banned in the cba. All it takes is one guy to demand one and they will become the norm. The overall salary might be lower but guaranteed money higher. Cousins should do 5 years 100 mil all guaranteed instead of 5 for 125 75 guaranteed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the fans should strike. We want reduced ticket prices at the stadiums, reduced concessions costs and no more TV blackouts.

Complete boycott of opening day next season. No attendees at the stadiums and no one watching on TV. I'll bet that one week of that would do it.

Edited by vincec

I'm sure that the early pioneers in the fight for humane working conditions and the original opponents of child labor laws never saw the day when twenty something year old millionaires would be arguing for guaranteed contracts, more time off, and better 'deals' than other millionaires ..... SHEESH!

Dick Sherman. His mom deserves an award for nailing his name.

Yeah let's take 2 year deals and screw up what we do get in guaranteed money then have a career ending injury. This is probably a future rep for the NFLPA. I feel bad for the players.

Fully guaranteed deals aren't banned in the cba. All it takes is one guy to demand one and they will become the norm.

Not sure what makes you think that? It could become the norm among the elite players but the overwhelming majority of the players wouldn't get guaranteed deals unless it was required by the CBA.

Fully guaranteed deals aren't banned in the cba. All it takes is one guy to demand one and they will become the norm.

Not sure what makes you think that? It could become the norm among the elite players but the overwhelming majority of the players wouldn't get guaranteed deals unless it was required by the CBA.

The players just need to come together and demand it. Asoumadi(sp) did it years ago with the raiders. 3 year contract for 45 mil all guaranteed. These guys are all usually taking pretty short deals(compared to hockey) so they take a year less but all guaranteed.

The players would lose in any work stoppage, just as they have in every other work stoppage.

Regardless of who the fans side with, the billionaires are the ones that don't need the money, whereas the bottom 90% of NFL players do, in fact, need their weekly game checks to support their families and lifestyles.

Unless the top 10% paid NFL players are prepared to set up a "survival fund" for the bottom 90%, a work stoppage is a bad, bad decision.

The players would lose in any work stoppage, just as they have in every other work stoppage.

Regardless of who the fans side with, the billionaires are the ones that don't need the money, whereas the bottom 90% of NFL players do, in fact, need their weekly game checks to support their families and lifestyles.

Unless the top 10% paid NFL players are prepared to set up a "survival fund" for the bottom 90%, a work stoppage is a bad, bad decision.

The players union had an insurance fund set up last time around and didn't even tell their own players about it until it was too late. Their own union screwed them on that when they had the chance to put the screws to the owners. The NHL has contracts that allow players to be paid even in a lockout. NFL players should be demanding that.

Dick Sherman. His mom deserves an award for nailing his name.

Yeah let's take 2 year deals and screw up what we do get in guaranteed money then have a career ending injury. This is probably a future rep for the NFLPA. I feel bad for the players.

Lets face it, most of these guys get 3-year deals now, that is what the guarantee covers, but then are stuck in a 6-year deal at the team's option. And Sherman is smart as hell, and he gets the only way for the players to start getting better deals is to not play games. Yes, it will hurt the current players, but long term it is the only way things will change.

The players union had an insurance fund set up last time around and didn't even tell their own players about it until it was too late. Their own union screwed them on that when they had the chance to put the screws to the owners. The NHL has contracts that allow players to be paid even in a lockout. NFL players should be demanding that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding was players like Price were getting paid the majority of their contracts as signing bonus, therefor getting paid when there is a lockout or not as their salary may only be $1M or so for the season.

Sherman just likes to hear himself talk. I think that salaries will definitely be on the rise again in the next contract, but they will never see NBA or MLB type money. It is the most violent of all professional sports and the longevity outside of QB just isn't there. Even the QB's are a rarity to play into their late 30's.

Also, in the NBA the cap is like 100 mil right? And 3 guys take up like 2/3 of that. So qb gets 50 mil, another guy on defense 40, and wr 40, and then a bunch at 1 mil. See how he likes it then

How so?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because multiple teams having Dareus like contracts that are uncuttable, untradeable and unmotivated to live up to their contract is stupid.

You mean like his contract is now?

I think the fans should strike. We want reduced ticket prices at the stadiums, reduced concessions costs and no more TV blackouts.

Complete boycott of opening day next season. No attendees at the stadiums and no one watching on TV. I'll bet that one week of that would do it.

This is the only way, because as long as fans are willing to spend the money then the players deserve it. Its only when the fans decide enough is enough can or wil this change.

This is capitalism folks. Nobody should be upset with players because our corporations, banks, wallstreet, and plutocrats/oligarchs do this all the time themselves... Whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Fact is players are the product, and fans are paying for the product. Don't like it stop paying for it. If you can not stop and walk away then you really can't complain

Edited by ddaryl

This is the only way, because as long as fans are willing to spend the money then the players deserve it. Its only when the fans decide enough is enough can or wil this change.

This is capitalism folks. Nobody should be upset with players because our corporations, banks, wallstreet, and plutocrats/oligarchs do this all the time themselves... Whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Fact is players are the product, and fans are paying for the product. Don't like it stop paying for it. If you can not stop and walk away then you really can't complain

Agreed. And if fans were willing to stay away, they'd have done it long ago. There's hunger for football. It's why we're all on these boards. We need it.

Go ahead and strike. The players will lose that game of chicken every single time.

The NBA comparison is laughable. Apples to Oranges.

The players could win a strike easily. Depends on the situation, how long they stay out, how united they are ....

Just because the owners won the last one doesn't mean they win them all. History shows they don't. No way the players would get everything they want, but they could get a good deal for their side.

Yeah. More of that is dumb.

Yeah, because there are so few unmotivated players now in the NFL with partially guaranteed contracts.

And the NBA hasn't exactly been destroyed even though they have plenty of unmotivated guys and guaranteed contracts.

Most players are motivated beyond belief. Some aren't. I don't think it's a money issue in most cases, just a personality issue. I doubt we'd see much more laziness with guaranteed contracts. Some, of course, but I doubt it would take a huge leap up. Not that I think we'll see fully guaranteed contracts in football in the near future. But eventually? Maybe.

NFL players should have guaranteed contracts. End of story. They also should get at least 50% of revenue.

They won't get the same money as NBA, but should not have to worry about losing money if their knee blows out.

Yeah, guarantees at least in case of injury make some real sense.

The whole thing's a Gordian knot. It'll be interesting in three years when the new contract has to be negotiated. Aggravating, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

Revenue totals for the biggest major sporting leagues worldwide in 2016.

DElepzcVwAEM-Bc.jpg

While true, NBA rosters have what 13 players on a team? and there are 30 teams so 390 total players, nfl has 53 players (not sure about inactives as the NBA number includes the one inactive) with 32 teams = 1696 players. so if you want to do a revenue per player:

NBA = 12,307,692.31

NFL = 7,665,094.34

so while NFL has more revenue there is less to go around per player

Like i said earlier the players could have gotten a better deal the last time around had their union played it right. they had an insurance policy to help all players get through the lockout. instead you those guys taking out crazy loans to get by and panicking about not getting paid. had they told their players they were fine the players would have had the owners against the wall. i'm sure they could do this again but who knows.

Go ahead and strike. The players will lose that game of chicken every single time.

The NBA comparison is laughable. Apples to Oranges.

Actually players win the majority of the time. I mean they are getting a significant chunk of the revenue already and rightfully so... I will always support players and organized labor...

I will support the fans if they want to boycott the sport to reduce overall pricing, but if the fans are willing to pay the prices then I side with the players. If the fans decide they had enough and walk away and refuse to financially support the sport until prices come down across the board, then I will supprt there cause, but as long as they are willing to spend then the players deserve as much of the moeny they can negotiate for themselves

I buy NFL Sunday ticket and that is it. I don't own any jerseys or t-shirts or any other NFL swag and rarely attend games.

Edited by ddaryl

When football is 5 on 5, and rosters are 15 guys deep, the few players left in the league will be paid like NBA all stars.

The NBA has better athletes. I wish somebody would say that to players like Sherman and Sammy Watkins.

The NBA rosters are the elite and the few. If Sherman was good enough to be an NBA player, that is what he should have done.