A pleasant surprise is on the way.

RB Jonathan Williams had a great 2014 season in which he ran for over 1,000 yds and scored 12 TDs.

He got injured and missed the entire 2015 season.

That didn't stop the Bills from selecting him in R5 of the 2016 draft. J-Will was expected to be as high as a R2 pick, but being out for an entire season really hurt his draft selection.

Williams admits that he wasn't fully healthy in 2016. His foot hadn't healed to the point to allow him to cut like he needs to in order to avoid defenders.

Now fully healthy J-Will has something to prove and should have a great opportunity to do so with Gillislee gone and not much proven completion on the roster behind McCoy.

Here are his college highlights from 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSQBZWUznSI.

Who does he remind you of??

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that article in TBN yesterday about Jwill. My question is why was he practicing if he wasn't healed? He made it sound like he was surprised they even put him out there.

Plus, he's not a FB...so that's another strike against him. We need more FB's.

I read that article in TBN yesterday about Jwill. My question is why was he practicing if he wasn't healed? He made it sound like he was surprised they even put him out there.

After Shaq had to get his surgery and Ragland went down, there was no way Whaley was gonna let J-will sit if he could practice. There was already enough complaining about his drafting injured players.

After Shaq had to get his surgery and Ragland went down, there was no way Whaley was gonna let J-will sit if he could practice. There was already enough complaining about his drafting injured players.

but he was the only one who was obviously clearly injured at draft time and not even expected to play given the guys ahead of him! Smh Edited by YoloinOhio

The way I read it was he was out there because he wanted to be out there. Conspiracy theories are much more interesting though.

Show me the money.

If you can play then play. Enough talk and excuses. Last year is over. I don't care about last year. Put up or shut up. UB Jordan Johnson is on your heels.

"McDerma speak" for those wondering how I suddenly developed no empathy.

Edited by cba fan

In his limited carries last year he looked slow, hesitant to hit the hole, and went down pretty easily. He also fumbled a couple times. I wouldnt count on him to be anything more than replaceable

RB Jonathan Williams had a great 2014 season in which he ran for over 1,000 yds and scored 12 TDs.

That didn't stop the Bills from selecting him in R5 of the 2016 draft. J-Will was expected to be as high as a R2 pick, but being out for an entire season really hurt his draft selection.

Williams admits that he wasn't fully healthy in 2016. His foot hadn't healed to the point to allow him to cut like he needs to in order to avoid defenders.

Now fully healthy J-Will has something to prove and should have a great opportunity to do so with Gillislee gone and not much proven completion on the roster behind McCoy.

Sounds great

The way I read it was he was out there because he wanted to be out there. Conspiracy theories are much more interesting though.

what conspiracy theory are you referring to?

If he wasn't healed he shouldn't be practicing whether he wants to be or not.

If you're counting on Jordan Johnson to be the #2 RB you're much more likely to be disappointed.

J-Will gained his yards/TDs vs top flight SEC competition. He has legitimate R2 talent. The tape doesn't lie.

He couldn't perform at his best last year because he wasn't fully healthy, but he has proclaimed himself to be so this year so let's see what happens.

BTW, M. Tolbert will be used much more as a RB this season than as a FB so the Bills really only have ONE true FB on the roster. He will likely be the short yardage/goal line big back that the Bills have severely lacked the last several years. He's not a true FB in the sense that DiMarco is even though he weighs 250 lbs.

I have not clicked on this link, but the highlight video that I did watch a year ago makes me think that he reminds me of Travis Henry. No real top-end speed, but quick through the hole. Henry was an effective goal-line back because of this... hopefully that's AT LEAST what Williams is, and more, because he will likely be the first in line to back up Shady.

Note: I'm not saying Henry was ONLY a goal-line back, as he ran for some good yardage a couple seasons in a row, but I specifically remember him having a "nose for the end zone", punching it in frequently.

what conspiracy theory are you referring to?

If he wasn't healed he shouldn't be practicing whether he wants to be or not.

Why just the theory that Herc ran with and you intimated.

From your first post:

He made it sound like he was surprised they even put him out there.

I didn't read any surprise and I never considered "they" might be involved. The way I read it was a rookie felt that he had to be on the field, nothing more, nothing less.

I have not clicked on this link, but the highlight video that I did watch a year ago makes me think that he reminds me of Travis Henry. No real top-end speed, but quick through the hole. Henry was an effective goal-line back because of this... hopefully that's AT LEAST what Williams is, and more, because he will likely be the first in line to back up Shady.

Note: I'm not saying Henry was ONLY a goal-line back, as he ran for some good yardage a couple seasons in a row, but I specifically remember him having a "nose for the end zone", punching it in frequently.

Not sure what you're seeing, but he has plenty of top end speed. And he reminded me of Shady.

Why just the theory that Herc ran with and you intimated.

From your first post:

I didn't read any surprise and I never considered "they" might be involved. The way I read it was a rookie felt that he had to be on the field, nothing more, nothing less.

it is the team's duty to ensure he doesn't have a setback in the healing process. If his lack of productivity, speed, explosiveness, etc was due to the injury why was he playing? Why not let it fully heal? It's not even his decision. That was why I read it that way. He said he was not healed and couldnt even run or cut when he was drafted but that he went out there in minicamp and did the best he could. To me that raised questions. Not conspiracy theories.

It's bound to go HB1 McCoy, HB2 Tolbert, HB3 Williams, anyways, like said. He will hopefully get minimal playing time, and when he does will be called on to be a McCoy replacement (both are supposed to be lateral and shifty backs, as Williams caused 44 missed tackles in 2014), but more importantly to just hand onto the ball. Do not feel as good about him as Karlos Williams or Gillislee.

Don't you think you should have given credit to the BN article since your post clearly plagiarized the entire article

It's bound to go HB1 McCoy, HB2 Tolbert, HB3 Williams, anyways, like said. He will hopefully get minimal playing time, and when he does will be called on to be a McCoy replacement (both are supposed to be lateral and shifty backs, as Williams caused 44 missed tackles in 2014), but more importantly to just hand onto the ball. Do not feel as good about him as Karlos Williams or Gillislee.

i don't feel or good or bad about him until I see how he looks in TC. But given the likely 2 game suspension coming down for the DUI I would prefer they sign someone like Deangelo Williams too.

it is the team's duty to ensure he doesn't have a setback in the healing process. If his lack of productivity, speed, explosiveness, etc was due to the injury why was he playing? Why not let it fully heal? It's not even his decision. That was why I read it that way. He said he was not healed and couldnt even run or cut when he was drafted but that he went out there in minicamp and did the best he could. To me that raised questions. Not conspiracy theories.

Players play when they shouldn't and of course it was his decision. "Hey Rook, how you feeling?" "Great, let's hit the field."

In his limited carries last year he looked slow, hesitant to hit the hole, and went down pretty easily. He also fumbled a couple times. I wouldnt count on him to be anything more than replaceable

Agree. I hope we have a gem there.... and we should treat it as a nice surprise if he is. I just don't think the Bills can bank on it. He is likely to be suspended the first two weeks of the season too, so his place on the 53 is not certain for me. An O'Neal or a Banyard is likely to get a first crack at that #2 job whilst JWill sits on the side, if they shine there is no guarantee he is brought back once the suspension is over.

I have made my opinion on Jon Williams pretty well known

Human pinball machine...he just needs to clean up his fumbles

As to why he was playing? Why was Sammy Watkins playing?

he is a football player and you have to protect them from themselves sometimes as coaches....in Jon's case he was a 5th round pick and probably didnt want to get cut

Edited by John from Hemet

This. Tentative​ and a fumbler.

I have made my opinion on Jon Williams pretty well known

Human pinball machine...he just needs to clean up his fumbles

As to why he was playing? Why was Sammy Watkins playing?

he is a football player and you have to protect them from themselves sometimes as coaches....in Jon's case he was a 5th round pick and probably didnt want to get cut

i guess I see Sammy's situation a little differently - he was put on the shelf for 8 weeks and he's the #1 WR, the gap between him and the next guy was wide, we were told it was a pain tolerance thing, we were told a lot a lot of things. Jwill was a 3rd-4th RB. Why he was playing when his foot wasn't healed is different - throw any other RB in his place tbh. Let him heal up.

Henry did have a knack for finding the hole, which is probably why he has so many children with different women. All kidding aside, McCoy is the favorite to lead the NFL in rushing right now, at least according to Vegas. It's amazing how you can bet on anything these days. In any event, if the expectation is that McCoy will lead the league in rushing, I'm not sure I care much about Williams, other than him being a change of pace guy. Absent McCoy getting hurt, I would be shocked if JW got anywhere close to the 100 touches that Gilly had last season.

This kid is the only reason I didn't sweat TD Mike leaving and why the Bills

I knew he was banged up and only a rookie and I felt his running style would translate to the NFL and make him a success.

I expect him to be a force this year. Similar running style to Gills but more power and speed! 3rd straight year we're going to lead the league in rushing!

Henry did have a knack for finding the hole, which is probably why he has so many children with different women. All kidding aside, McCoy is the favorite to lead the NFL in rushing right now, at least according to Vegas. It's amazing how you can bet on anything these days. In any event, if the expectation is that McCoy will lead the league in rushing, I'm not sure I care much about Williams, other than him being a change of pace guy. Absent McCoy getting hurt, I would be shocked if JW got anywhere close to the 100 touches that Gilly had last season.

Well look at who we added. The top run blocking FB by a long shot , kept our very good o line intact, and added a potentially huge upgrade at RT in Dawkins. Not only will the starting 5 be one of the best in the league, but our depth is ridiculous. Groy,Mills, Henderson,Duccasse. All these depth guys would start on many teams!

Last year watching Shady was a thing of beauty, and it's only going to get better folks, as Dennison has a running scheme that fits Shady PERFECTLY. It's going to be exciting to watch

Edited by JerseyBills

I can certainly appreciate all of the Doubting Thomases with regard to Williams' prospects. He hasn't accomplished a darn thing and I actually thought he looked slow, weak, and not very confident with the carries that he had last year.

But this is a new year. The man is now fully healthy and very confident in his ability.

All I can say to you is, "watch the tape that I posted". Williams has great vision. He hit the hole hard and has good speed for a 220 lb RB. He even has a little shimmy to his game. I expect him to produce a lot better than last year and secure the #2 RB position.

Tolbert will specialize as the short yardage/goal line big back.

The other RBs on the roster are nothing more than camp fodder.

All I know is we have to keep Shady healthy at all costs. Maybe JWill will develop into a effective backup, but I still see the loss of Gillislee as a huge one. This team does not hide the fact that it wants to be the #1 running team in the NFL. If McCoy goes down for any reason we will have to depend on a RB still nursing a major injury. And after JWill , we have nothing!

I can certainly appreciate all of the Doubting Thomases with regard to Williams' prospects. He hasn't accomplished a darn thing and I actually thought he looked slow, weak, and not very confident with the carries that he had last year.

But this is a new year. The man is now fully healthy and very confident in his ability.

All I can say to you is, "watch the tape that I posted". Williams has great vision. He hit the hole hard and has good speed for a 220 lb RB. He even has a little shimmy to his game. I expect him to produce a lot better than last year and secure the #2 RB position.

Tolbert will specialize as the short yardage/goal line big back.

The other RBs on the roster are nothing more than camp fodder.

That is nice and all, but there have been a ton of running backs that look good in their college uniforms, playing against college level talent that come to the NFL and don't do a thing. What do we know as we sit here today is that he's had 27 carries at the NFL level and averaged 3.5 YPC. I haven't seen anything in the way of explosiveness or vision. As others have intimated, a stiff breeze has knocked him down. Maybe that will change. I'm with others here where I expect Tolbert to be the #2. We will see none the less. For his career so far, Williams looks more like the fodder.

Preinjury WIlliams was thought to be a 2nd Round talent, to get that in the 5th Round is good value assuming he's fully recovered from his injury. I know a lot of people want to rip on Whaley but he did seem to have an eye for RB talent whether it be drafting Karlos or picking up Gillisee from the Cardinals practice squad, let's hope JWill follows as the next guy in line to be our above average backup.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/2/17/11025798/nfl-draft-prospect-profiles-arkansas-rb-jonathan-williams

Edited by The Jokeman