Bills Hiring Joe Schoen as Asst. GM

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard for some fans, myself included. We've heard "this offseason is different" from different posters throughout the years, and when you hear it again, you go in defense mode.

don't listen to other fans... think for yourself. It's a major change in management of the team. Nobody knows what will happen, but offseasons are for optimism.

I've been coming here sporadically and posts like this are the reason why. I understand 17 years sucks and Pegula's attempt to make a splash with the Ryan circus was an unmitigated disaster. But reading stuff like this makes my blood pressure rise.

This offseason feels different. Every hire we have made is respected across the league and I will defer to the people in the know before buying into the (admittedly warranted) cynicism on this board.

The Bills are making sound decisions. Finally. Time will tell if it equates to wins and playoffs, but I have to say this is the most optimistic I have been in over a decade. Just my Two Cents.

Great post. I agree, I think the Bills' decisions this offseason have been intelligent, aside from the failure to retain Gillislee, which goes back to not placing a higher tender. But great offseason nonetheless and I think we'll see a few more signings to get us excited about before the season starts. (ex. Milloy)

By the way, this is my 1st post. I've been following this forum for Bills news since BBMB was shut down (wish I knew about this forum before). The negatively for every single decision, even Assistant GM, is ridiculous. Cheer up my friends, it's almost summer time.

Eh, outside of this past year, I can't say I'm a big fan of Miami's scouting department. They went after names, not talent.

Schoen wasn't the entire Miami scouting department.

The scouting department is a team of its own. Saying you don't like the Miami scouting department is like saying you don't like the New Orleans Saints. Therefore we shouldn't sign any players from the Saints? Personally, I'd sign Brees in a heartbeat if he wanted to come to Buffalo.

Like any team, the Miami scouting department has more-talented guys and less-talented guys. Apparently, Beane has identified Schoen as one of the more talented guys. Unless you have good insider information, I don't know why you'd want to second-guess him.

Except that we're Bills fans and second-guess everything.

I'm just happy to see more football minds being hired. An AGM or even two AGM's are better than none....assuming they are quality hires. ;)

....a long, LONG time coming, since the Polian era....Donohoe was obsessed with being named PRESIDENT to fuel his total control ego and then hired cheap subordinating HC's who caved at his demand...set this club back a decade....Marv and Buddy were football people, but respectfully beyond their prime.....Brandon was put in positions not qualified for...and we recycled coaches who were stale dated....hence, the "Patchwork Era of Futility"....sure not one down has been played yet, but the "Young Guns-Young Minds-Coaching Staff" sure as hell brings some optimism to OBD FINALLY getting it right after BP...stay tuned................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Great post. I agree, I think the Bills' decisions this offseason have been intelligent, aside from the failure to retain Gillislee, which goes back to not placing a higher tender. But great offseason nonetheless and I think we'll see a few more signings to get us excited about before the season starts. (ex. Milloy)

By the way, this is my 1st post. I've been following this forum for Bills news since BBMB was shut down (wish I knew about this forum before). The negatively for every single decision, even Assistant GM, is ridiculous. Cheer up my friends, it's almost summer time.

Amen. And great first post.

I can't really say I know enough about Schoen to say much of anything one way or another. All I know is the little I've read since I seen we were interested in him yesterday. But from what I've read, he seems to be considered a very hard working up and comer with a bright future, and a pretty good eye for talent.

One other thing I do like - he has a lot of detailed knowledge of the inner workings of one of our division rivals. That's never a bad thing!

@salsports

HC Sean McDermott - 43

GM Brandon Beane - 40

Ast. GM Joe Schoen - 37

These aren't your dad's Bills anymore. Or Ralph's.

You can say that again...

I like that we aren't running Ralph's old boy's club anymore, though. This franchise needs a new way of thinking desperately.

Maybe these young guys will help set some new trends in the NFL, instead of just trying to follow the old ones. I could see this being a progressive, forward thinking front office.

The NFL seems to rapidly be getting younger with some of the hires this offseason. Hopefully it will work out and we will be ahead of the curve for once...

@salsports

HC Sean McDermott - 43

GM Brandon Beane - 40

Ast. GM Joe Schoen - 37

Good. They dont seem to be the Bills of a lot of fans on here either. Quite scary. Im reqlly enjoying the youth movement now. Hopefully they arent as cavalier with contracts, money, and draft picks as the last regime.

@salsports

HC Sean McDermott - 43

GM Brandon Beane - 40

Ast. GM Joe Schoen - 37

....and probably don't drive Grandpa's Buicks either.................company Porsche 911's works fine................

If the Bills hung onto two leads, we would have been the WC, not them.

but we didn't

I can't really say I know enough about Schoen to say much of anything one way or another. All I know is the little I've read since I seen we were interested in him yesterday. But from what I've read, he seems to be considered a very hard working up and comer with a bright future, and a pretty good eye for talent.

One other thing I do like - he has a lot of detailed knowledge of the inner workings of one of our division rivals. That's never a bad thing!

You can say that again...

I like that we aren't running Ralph's old boy's club anymore, though. This franchise needs a new way of thinking desperately.

Maybe these young guys will help set some new trends in the NFL, instead of just trying to follow the old ones. I could see this being a progressive, forward thinking front office.

The NFL seems to rapidly be getting younger with some of the hires this offseason. Hopefully it will work out and we will be ahead of the curve for once...

or maybe the Bills are finally catching up to the rest of the league

Complainers here are ridiculous.

TBD whiners - "We know very little about what Beane actually did as a scout but we've decided to be upset because he wasn't PRIMARILY a scout."

OBD- "We've hired a lifelong scout, who is well-respected and knows the division intimately, as Assistant GM."

TBD whiners - "What were they thinking?!"

For everyone complaining Monos is gone- here's your veteran scout. Much like Beane, we really have no idea how well the hire will pan out because, as subordinates, we don't know how much their input has made a difference in their prior team's FO decisions. What we do know is for the first time in a while we are getting a top to bottom reset and so far all of the people hired have strong work histories and reputations for being hard workers. Can we please stop ignorantly complaining just as a default? Groucho Marx once famously joked that he "would never join any organization that would accept him as a member." It seems like half the people here take that to heart: "he can't be any good because he's here now."

I've been coming here sporadically and posts like this are the reason why. I understand 17 years sucks and Pegula's attempt to make a splash with the Ryan circus was an unmitigated disaster. But reading stuff like this makes my blood pressure rise.

This offseason feels different. Every hire we have made is respected across the league and I will defer to the people in the know before buying into the (admittedly warranted) cynicism on this board.

The Bills are making sound decisions. Finally. Time will tell if it equates to wins and playoffs, but I have to say this is the most optimistic I have been in over a decade. Just my Two Cents.

I agree w u 100%!

I wish to totally disregard this.

too many well informed "football guys" who posted in this thread previously have me believing otherwise.

don't listen to other fans... think for yourself. It's a major change in management of the team. Nobody knows what will happen, but offseasons are for optimism.

Good point.

Also, as opposed to "every year", this is the most sweeping change in 2 decades or more. Moreover, the hires are smart, hard working, detail oriented, and articulate.... And actually, really on the same page. OneBuffalo, if you will. We have not had that combo in a long long time, and it's the best road to continued success. Anyone can catch lightning in a bottle for a year or two, but it takes control freak, multitasking, and attention to detail to sustain it.

If only Rex could focus on the details he would have been much better, but clock management and penalties were details he couldn't seem to master.

yessir

Joe Schoen and Brandon Beane worked together for 7 seasons in Carolina. Schoen has extensive background in the scouting department and is someone Beane trusts to be his right hand man. Nobody knows if their vision will be successful here in Buffalo, but considering that McDermott, Beane, and Schoen are all coming from successful franchises there is reason to be optimistic. At the very least, it finally seems like our front office and coaching staff will be on the same page moving forward. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/5/14/15637530/buffalo-bills-hire-joe-schoen-assistant-general-manager-brandon-beane

Joe Schoen and Brandon Beane worked together for 7 seasons in Carolina. Schoen has extensive background in the scouting department and is someone Beane trusts to be his right hand man. Nobody knows if their vision will be successful here in Buffalo, but considering that McDermott, Beane, and Schoen are all coming from successful franchises there is reason to be optimistic. At the very least, it finally seems like our front office and coaching staff will be on the same page moving forward. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/5/14/15637530/buffalo-bills-hire-joe-schoen-assistant-general-manager-brandon-beane

...young gun football minds going to run a football organization versus the "patchwork debacle" post Polian.....what the hell is there NOT to like?......

The things we hear about all 3, HC, GM, AGM...tireless workers, attention to detail...

Those are two things people have never said about Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley?

So Beane's area of least experience, scouting, he hired an assistant GM who's strength is scouting, and they share a vision of team building. I like that a lot.

Go look at their schedule and who they played.

Miami was a fraud

The day that the Asst GM actually puts on a helmet and plays a game I will evaluate them for wins and losses on the field. Their job is to bring in talent.....looks like this guy started at the bottom and worked their way to the top like he should have and filled all the boxes.

...young gun football minds going to run a football organization versus the "patchwork debacle" post Polian.....what the hell is there NOT to like?......

Agree 100% - funny that so many people have been asking for this for so long and now that we have it, there are still people that don't like the moves :D Obviously we'll see what they do over they years, but I applaud the direction...

The things we hear about all 3, HC, GM, AGM...tireless workers, attention to detail...

For sure.

Interesting that all three started out as interns too, learning the business from the ground up. We've had a lot of success with interns brought up through our system where I work...

That said, I'm actaully a little surprised that no one has said "We hired three INTERNS to lead this team? What a joke!" :D:beer:

lots of accounts of Rex not being a hard worker. Not a lot (at least publically) of Whaley... but I mentioned awhile back that a poster here PMed me at the end of the season and said he knew someone in the Clemson program who talked to Sammy and Shaq. They said they were tired of management and that Whaley would play on his phone during important meetings. They were surprised this guy was the GM of their team. And there was an account of bills scouts showing up to pro days unprepared. I am around OSU a lot and haven't seen any Bills scouts unprepared, they come to practice. They don't stand out as doing anything differently than the other scouts. But I'm guessing there aren't as buttoned up as McD would have them. Edited by YoloinOhio

lots of accounts of Rex not being a hard worker. Not a lot (at least publically) of Whaley... but I mentioned awhile back that a poster here PMed me at the end of the season and said he knew someone in the Clemson program who talked to Sammy and Shaq. They said they were tired of management and that Whaley would play on his phone during important meetings. They were surprised this guy was the GM of their team. And there was an account of bills scouts showing up to pro days unprepared. I am around OSU a lot and haven't seen any Bills scouts unprepared, they come to practice. They don't stand out as doing anything differently than the other scouts. But I'm guessing there aren't as buttoned up as McD would have them.

TP has been so persistent in mentioning the work ethic of Mc and Beane...there is definitely something there. Then there was the article about how Whaley stayed after the league meetings to spend time with family while other GMs were out at pro days/private workouts. I hate to begrudge a guy some time with his family, but, if you've got a job to do...

Exactly. They should make a good duo and now people who were concerned about Beane's lack of scouting experience can take solace in the fact they hired an assistant GM with about 16 years of pro scouting experience. Since Schoen and Beane worked together in Carolina, they should be on same page on what kind of team they want to build.