5 QBs, only 3 will be retained.

You dont just outright release qb draft picks

I think C. Jones goes to practice squad unless the improvement in his game is significant from year 1 to year 2

QBs are just too hard to find

Ask Brian Brohm about that who got cut a year later after being a 2nd round pick.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will give a complete vote of confidence on Cardale as a developemental prospect.

Then cut him the next day.

NFL should really let NFL teams have 4 or 5? QB's with 2 or 3? not counting on 53 man roster or salary cap. How else can NFL develop these college style offense guys who are trying to play Pro style offenses?

Maybe set some compensation level for QB 4 and 5 like a 5th rounder if any other team wants to sign him.

NFL has a real problem finding competent QB play. Developmental league could really help this.

Edited by cba fan

They'll take 4 QBs to camp. Woodrum probably gets released relatively soon.

The question I find interesting is whether they wind up keeping 2 or 3. Peterman would have to really, really stink to not make the final 53, so that's unlikely. But OTOH if it turns out he actually looks better than the other backups, management might decide not to waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB who doesn't really have a future with the team.

They'll take 4 QBs to camp. Woodrum probably gets released relatively soon.

The question I find interesting is whether they wind up keeping 2 or 3. Peterman would have to really, really stink to not make the final 53, so that's unlikely. But OTOH if it turns out he actually looks better than the other backups, management might decide not to waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB who doesn't really have a future with the team.

I can see that as an option.

I can see that as an option.

as well as it should be.

I consider Yates the QB who can teach the McD system more than i would him as a backup. Peterman or Jones should be the #2 on game day if all goes well ..

You guys never give up.

....why?....never anybody better at throwing a 6 yard skinny post BOMB......guy had it according to Walsh........hell even Jaws said he was the "real deal"........................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

If I was a betting man, come opening week, TT is your starter, TJ is the backup, Peterman is your 3rd, and Cardale goes to the practice squad.

If I had to bet, this is what I see, too. It depends on how much Cardale has grown in a year and if he wows them with his potential. I imagine that Peterman will outplay him in camp and maybe preseason. If Cardale looks a lot better then maybe they think they can get away without Yates.

I would bet that Yates and Woodrum are the odd men out. Yates was sort of an insurance policy IMO. Now that they added another QB he will be gone. Cardale and Peterman will compete for the number 2 role and this may be the last year for one of them. The Bills are going to see what they have first. It is like we always talk about, "keep bringing in guys until you have a franchise QB." I've read that 1,000+ times on here. They have 2 guys that they are trying to find out about and we may have another next year.

I think Woodrum is the "OTA/camp arm". He may not make it to camp. Yates is the vet with playing experience and the putative #2. Until/unless McWrestler feels comfortable with Peterman or Cardale starting, Yates will stick around. I think Peterman and Cardale are the "Highlanders" as in "there can be only one", but it's possible that if the Bills feel super-confident one of them could start, Yates will go.

But why cut the developmental guy when he is already as good as the scrub vet? That's the point. Yates is a 0% chance to be a franchise guy. Even if Cardale is < 5% it still makes more sense. You can always find a Yates on the street (in fact you will probably find Yates on the street).

Keep in mind the "scrub vet" spent 3 years with Dennison in Houston. He knows the system. He can help Dennison teach it to the other QB. That is his value, why he is here, and what he brings that can't be found on the street.

Peterman is also a Whaley guy...

What makes you think that? I think the presumption has to be that this year's draft belongs to McWrestler.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Rumor in Peterman thread that TJ Yates plans to retire after TC and become a QB coach, so he'd work for David Culley. Just throwing it out there and if it comes down to him and Cardale, Yates is out. Money.

So that'll make 3 people I'd like to keep clear from my young QB... 1) George Whitfield.. 2)Jesse Palmer... 3)TJ Yates

Peterman reminds me of Trent Edwards with some upside. I mean that in a good way. Could even be like a dak prescott type. Armstrength isn't as important as it used to be. Getting the ball quick and reading defenses are more important.

also, they should keep all these qbs on unless one of them is definetly not good enough to be here. Never know when an injury bug happens

Yup, I would say Peyton Mannings arm strength was pretty weak his last 4-5 years. He beat everybody with his brain.

Peterman is also a Whaley guy...

He is?

Edited by old school

Yates was the insurance policy if they did not draft another QB. They will choose the experience of Yates versus the potential of Jokes over the next several weeks. Yates is so bad that Jones has a chance to beat him out even though Jones is terrible too. It doesn't matter because Mr. Peterman will be #2 by the time training camp opens.

I'm amazed that you could know this already. I could have sworn that Cardale has played only three quarters of preseason football (throwing the ball to guys who are now selling life insurance) and the last quarter of the last game of the regular season for a lame-duck interim coach in a game the Bills were actively trying to lose. Were there games that you saw Cardale play in this winter that led you to believe he is "terrible"?

Tyrod, Yates, and CJ on the 53 man. Peterman to Practice Squad (if he clears waivers)

No one knows any such thing. The Bills don't have to make a decision about these QBs until the last pre-season game. The only thing we know with any degree of certainly is that TT will be the starter (barring injury), but even that is not set in stone. Jones, Peterman or Yates could end up being QB2 or being cut. Who stays and who goes is going to depend on how they perform, not who drafted whom or whether one of them is a Whaley or a McDermott guy. That's as it should be.

Peterman reminds me of Trent Edwards with some upside. I mean that in a good way. Could even be like a dak prescott type. Armstrength isn't as important as it used to be. Getting the ball quick and reading defenses are more important.

also, they should keep all these qbs on unless one of them is definetly not good enough to be here. Never know when an injury bug happens

Arm strength for a QB will always be important.

Yates is a bad QB. He is worse TODAY than Cardale and Peterman. There is no value in keeping Yates. He will never be the guy. Cardale came in as a VERY raw prospect with a high ceiling. There is no reason to scrap the chance that he develops for a dime a dozen 3rd stringer because the guy has some starts. If Tyrod went down in the preseason and you didn't think Cardale or Peterman was ready you could just sign a guy off the street that's better than Yates. Here is the list of FA QBs still available: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/available/ Drafting Peterman all but sealed his fate.

anyone thinking cardale jones is the answer to anything more than a backup quarterback in an emergecyt situation is foolish.

yates ain't great, by any means. but the difference between the two doesn't matter when neither are reasonably expected to compete in the nfl as a second qb.

Rumor in Peterman thread that TJ Yates plans to retire after TC and become a QB coach, so he'd work for David Culley. Just throwing it out there and if it comes down to him and Cardale, Yates is out. Money.

I don't think it's clear yet that Cardale can manage a game, much less 2-3 in a row. I would think that Dennison would want to have a guy he has confidence in on the bench. If Peterson does a Russ Wilson and comes into training camp poised and collected with that brisk "I've got this" air, what you say may occur. Otherwise, I think Cardale gets exposed on practice squad.

With the addition QB Nathan Peterman the Bills now have 5 QBs. Two will be released sooner or later. I can't imagine that the Bills will cut Peterman after they just drafted him so I fully expect Cardale Jones and Josh Woodrum to be the odd men out. If that's the case then I would like to see the Bills get SOMETHING for Cardale instead of just cutting him loose for nothing. I saw that the Redskins are going to try and trade RB Matt Jones and if they can't then they might just release him. I think that this trade could benefit both clubs.

They can put Jones on the practice squad if need be. Its not like he showed anything special that some team would want to put him on their 53 man.

Just out of curiosity why do we think Jones stinks now? He was a raw prospect that developed by most accounts. He was 2 years from ever playing. If you ever thought differently you didn't understand the player. None of that has changed. He may never make it but someone is going to try to develop him. You can't teach what he has. He's played like 1 NFL quarter and his story is written? That's crazy (regardless of what his career ends up being).

NFL should really let NFL teams have 4 or 5? QB's with 2 or 3? not counting on 53 man roster or salary cap. How else can NFL develop these college style offense guys who are trying to play Pro style offenses?

Maybe set some compensation level for QB 4 and 5 like a 5th rounder if any other team wants to sign him.

NFL has a real problem finding competent QB play. Developmental league could really help this.

Having teams hoard more QB prospects will make the NFL's lack of good starting QBs even worse. In fact, I would make it even more interesting and say QBs shouldn't be allowed on practice squads. That'll spread the wealth and give some of these kids a chance. Edited by Saint Doug

Tyrod, Peterman and Cardale...if Tyrod stays healthy and they win, great.

If he gets hurt and one of the others win, great.

If he gets hurt and the others suck, great...we get a top-5 pick next year and a chance at one of the top-3 QB's.

That's what happens if it's week 3 or something.

What if it's week 13 8-4? Heading into the final 4 including 2vs Patsies**. I might like to have someone experienced in there. We ain't gettin' a top 5 pick then anyway.

In fact, I would make it even more interesting and say QBs should be allowed on practice squads.

I'm pretty sure QBs CAN be on practice squad. We snagged Brohm off of the Cheese PS a few years ago.

That's what happens if it's week 3 or something.

What if it's week 13 8-4? Heading into the final 4 including 2vs Patsies**. I might like to have someone experienced in there. We ain't gettin' a top 5 pick then anyway.

If you are 8-4 I'd much rather Peterman or Cardale over Yates who we know sucks. If they aren't ready I am looking at the best QB out there for the stretch run (maybe Cutler at that point). Yates isn't the guy that's carrying you across the finish line.