5 QBs, only 3 will be retained.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my question is if Cardale gets the boot, and in my opinion that is what I expect, what could we get for him in return if anything? I don't think that it would be a draft pick so is there a player out there that we could trade for with him?

....initially TT as your potential return starter (McD says earn it), Yates as your vet presence and Peterman beats out Cardale.....Peterman to PS but could be scooped up depending on OTA/pre-season showings....lose him or put him on active 53.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I would be very surprised if Cardale gets cut. Makes sense to have Tyrod, Cardale, and Peterman on the roster this year in my opinion. None of those guys are going to realistically "step in and win" so no matter what if Ty goes down, it's season over so you might as well keep the prospects rather than known crappy backups.

I would be very surprised if Cardale gets cut. Makes sense to have Tyrod, Cardale, and Peterman on the roster this year in my opinion. None of those guys are going to realistically "step in and win" so no matter what if Ty goes down, it's season over so you might as well keep the prospects rather than known crappy backups.

"Developmental" QBs can't sit for 3 years watching and learning these days. They'll be free agents after 4! If Cardale doesn't show major improvements in camp/preseason, he'll be gone.

"Developmental" QBs can't sit for 3 years watching and learning these days. They'll be free agents after 4! If Cardale doesn't show major improvements in camp/preseason, he'll be gone.

But why cut the developmental guy when he is already as good as the scrub vet? That's the point. Yates is a 0% chance to be a franchise guy. Even if Cardale is < 5% it still makes more sense. You can always find a Yates on the street (in fact you will probably find Yates on the street). Edited by Kirby Jackson

If I was a betting man, come opening week, TT is your starter, TJ is the backup, Peterman is your 3rd, and Cardale goes to the practice squad.

I don't even know where this other QB came from, but my guess is, he never even see training camp...not enough work to go around for 5 QB's.

The Bills have LOTS of footballs. :flirt:

I don't agree with this. What would be the point of keeping Woodrum or Yates over Cardale? What's the upside there? Cardale has had almost no game time at all please don't tell me you can accurately evaluate him as a QB, or particularly a QB in this system...

But why cut the developmental guy when he is already as good as the scrub vet? That's the point. Yates is a 0% chance to be a franchise guy. Even if Cardale is < 5% it still makes more sense. You can always find a Yates on the street (in fact you will probably find Yates on the street).

My point exactly. Well articulated.

I don't know that I would *expect* Cardale to be the odd man out. It's certainly possible.

It's also very possible that they really like what they see out of Peterman and/or Jones and Yates is cut after Training Camp. He never said he was guaranteed a roster spot. Just that he'd come in and compete.

I hope that our final QB's are Tyrod Taylor, Nathan Peterman, and Cardale Jones.

Woodrum will be cut by the end of the week.

But why cut the developmental guy when he is already as good as the scrub vet? That's the point. Yates is a 0% chance to be a franchise guy. Even if Cardale is < 5% it still makes more sense. You can always find a Yates on the street (in fact you will probably find Yates on the street).

If Yates is not the #2, I would expect they scan the waiver wire come August looking for a vet backup, just in case the season goes well. If so, they would want a proven vet in case TT goes down.

The only exception would be if Peterman just knocked their socks off in training camp and the preseason games.

I see it differently - Peterman replaces Cardale. Cardale was (probably) Whaley's guy, or (possibly) Rex's guy. I think drafting Peterman is a strong signal that McD doesn't expect Cardale to develop. Yates is the TT short-term injury insurance. Peterman is the developmental guy. Cardale is likely gone, and let's be honest: does anyone think we could get even a 7th rounder for him? I doubt it.

I don't know if any decision in the "other" qb besides Tyrod and peterman has been made, but to my eyes it looks as if McDermott is setting a tone and culture for the organization. Cardale strikes me as more of a "Whaley" guy -- immense physical tools that, to Doug, outweighed perhaps questionable discipline, whereas peterman might be more from the McDermott mold. Time will tell.

For what it's worth, I'm with Kirby. Yates is what he is and, at least this year, were better off with two developmental guys than with Yates on the roster.

I don't know that I would *expect* Cardale to be the odd man out. It's certainly possible.

It's also very possible that they really like what they see out of Peterman and/or Jones and Yates is cut after Training Camp. He never said he was guaranteed a roster spot. Just that he'd come in and compete.

I hope that our final QB's are Tyrod Taylor, Nathan Peterman, and Cardale Jones.

Woodrum will be cut by the end of the week.

...based on his long term & prolific collegiate career at the OSU QB factory, he IS a keeper......

Yates was the insurance policy if they did not draft another QB. They will choose the experience of Yates versus the potential of Jokes over the next several weeks. Yates is so bad that Jones has a chance to beat him out even though Jones is terrible too. It doesn't matter because Mr. Peterman will be #2 by the time training camp opens.

If Yates is not the #2, I would expect they scan the waiver wire come August looking for a vet backup, just in case the season goes well. If so, they would want a proven vet in case TT goes down.

The only exception would be if Peterman just knocked their socks off in training camp and the preseason games.

That is exactly why Yates is the odd man out. There is no value to protecting him. What does he do that Shaun Hill can't? Or Charlie Whitehurst? Those guys grow on trees and are totally interchangeable. They aren't on rosters, they are signed when the vet starter (Tyrod) goes out for an extended period of time and the young guys aren't ready.