5 QBs, only 3 will be retained.

I would bet that Yates and Woodrum are the odd men out. Yates was sort of an insurance policy IMO. Now that they added another QB he will be gone. Cardale and Peterman will compete for the number 2 role and this may be the last year for one of them. The Bills are going to see what they have first. It is like we always talk about, "keep bringing in guys until you have a franchise QB." I've read that 1,000+ times on here. They have 2 guys that they are trying to find out about and we may have another next year.

Yates will be the backup QB on Opening Day. He has playoff experience and familiarity with the offense. IMHO, Cardale's time is running out. Remember this coaching staff did not draft him and may not be patient for him to pan out

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arm strength for a QB will always be important.

Drafted QB's arm is strong enough or he would not be drafted. He will not be on PS.

Cardale better spend more time in Buffalo and less time in Ohio if he wants to make roster.

If TT gets hurt Yates sticks around otherwise he is cut but he knows playbook and can be called to sign for a few weeks.

No team is going to put Jones on their 53.

The Bills did last year so that is not necessarily true. Teams do it for various reasons - competition, getting inside info, were planning on taking in draft, etc.

Carale needs to prove it in camp or he is done here and done in the NFL.

Yates will be the backup QB on Opening Day. He has playoff experience and familiarity with the offense. IMHO, Cardale's time is running out. Remember this coaching staff did not draft him and may not be patient for him to pan out

And he is a poor fit for Dennison. I know the Ohio State fans will be disappointed but drafting Cardale was no more than buying a lottery ticket at any stage in my opinion.

Except he carried the Texans across the finish line to the playoffs and one playoff win.

It wasn't because of him. They played an awful Bengals team. Yates didn't do anything but take the snaps. He completed 11 passes. You could have inserted any vet backup and had the same results. That's been my point. If you cut him you can sign him back whenever or some guy that is like him (Shaun Hill for example). They are interchangeable.

I've been one that wanted a vet backup so it may sound like a change of heart. I look at their roster though and since they have 2 developmental guys I guess I want to see them try to develop them. I don't think that either Cardale or Peterman will be the future of the position in Buffalo. I know TJ Yates won't be. If Tyrod gets hurt I'd just assume run with the young guys. If they are in contention when he gets hurt and the young guys aren't ready get Cutler or Fitz or whoever. There are lots of vets available now that are better than Yates.

Carale needs to prove it in camp or he is done here and done in the NFL.

And he is a poor fit for Dennison. I know the Ohio State fans will be disappointed but drafting Cardale was no more than buying a lottery ticket at any stage in my opinion.

I don't disagree with the second part at all. He was always a lottery ticket. He won't be out of the league though until someone is sure that they can't harness his immense physical talents. He has played 1 quarter in the NFL. Even Jamarcus Russell played in over 30 games.

We'll see who does better in TC. If it's Cardale, we cut Yates or trade him for maybe a 5th to a desperate team. If it's Yates, we either trade Cardale or take our chances with him on the PS.

The ideal thing would be for one to suffer some kind of "injury" and then we can stash him away for the year on IR. :devil:

That's what happens if it's week 3 or something.

What if it's week 13 8-4? Heading into the final 4 including 2vs Patsies**. I might like to have someone experienced in there. We ain't gettin' a top 5 pick then anyway.

I'm pretty sure QBs CAN be on practice squad. We snagged Brohm off of the Cheese PS a few years ago.

I meant shouldn't.

Mcdermott said it is a open competition and i truly belive that in his first camp as a head coach he will stick to that. For all we know yates can beat out tt (he did win a playoff game with houston). If it is truly a open competition cardale could show up and improve to two on the depth chart. Second there are injuries that happen to every team every camp(think trent green starter gets hurt,kurt warner becomes a star) point is we have no idea who wins in a true open competition in april :-) go bills!!

I could see the Bills trying to get Cardale onto the practice squad. The guy is simply too raw and I doubt anyone would put him on their active roster eating up a valuable roster spot for a guy who simply cannot play.

I love the yates is awful art. The guy does have ore playoff wins than the Bills this century. He may not be the next coming of Joe Montana but come on.

Edited by KRT88

Peterman is also a Whaley guy...

Oh, here we go... For the next 4-6 years this debate will rage on. 'Whaley was GM -He made the Pick!' 'No! He was a lame duck! It was all McD'.. blah blah blah..

McDermott Ran this Draft. And offseason

Yate and Peterman are his choices.

Oh, here we go... For the next 4-6 years this debate will rage on. 'Whaley was GM -He made the Pick!' 'No! He was a lame duck! It was all McD'.. blah blah blah..

Pegula was asked the question about whether McD ran the draft and he answered directly. Doug Whaley set the up and ran the draft.

We all should know that Whaley got Coach his players. That's what Doug has always done.

I see no point in arguing it any more.

Pegula was asked the question about whether McD ran the draft and he answered directly. Doug Whaley set the up and ran the draft.

We all should know that Whaley got Coach his players. That's what Doug has always done.

I see no point in arguing it any more.

It was further stated that Whaley and the scouts set up the board and McDermot took off all the players that don't fit.

whaley was in charge of assembling the draft board and gauging other teams interest in trading up or down.

he didn't have FINAL say over anything.

now to be fair....it's very likely coach McD didn't have final say either

it was a "collaborative" effort (laffin).....as long as coach McD agreed