Thank you Doug Whaley

Doug,

Thank you. Thank you for returning this franchise to relevancy. This was a farce of a professional franchise. It was a joke. Many college teams were better run than this place. Old ownership was living off the goodwill of his legacy and not on recent performance. Your arrival and turn as GM marks the first time this franchise had professionals running it since the early 90s. And as my analysis showed, you didn't do a bad job actually.

But people in the area did not warm up to your cool analytical personality. Nor your tight lip ways win the following of old-school sports journalists of the area who relied on "inside information" instead of doing actual work to do their job. Thus they began a negative campaign for your head. And by the looks of it, they have succeeded. That's a shame. Because you did a decent job here. I hope you grow from this. We all need friends in many places. Just doing your job doesn't get it done anymore.

You did a solid job with first round picks. It's not your fault they haven't been able to stay on the field for whole seasons. That medical staff did you no favors. Jerry Hughes was a great FA signing. We are going to miss your ability to find gems in the scrap heap or in mid rounds. Like Lonzo. Zack Brown. But all things must come to an end. This is the NFL. Not For Long. So long Doug.

Best wishes

Doug,
Best wishes

Classy post and I agree with it word for word. Best wishes, Doug. If it means anything, this is the best thing that could have happened to your career. Hopefully you wont be part of such a messed up organization in the future. Hope the Steelers have a place for you.

Doug. If it means anything, this is the best thing that could have happened to your career. Hopefully you wont be part of such a messed up organization in the future.

That is the one saving grace that I am taking from this move.

A good man has been released from a total shithole of an organization.

Being a head coach or GM in the NFL are among the toughest jobs one can do. Football teams are in the business of winning and have more moving parts than any other in sports. Owners, GMs, coaches, players and support staff are continually changing, it's the culture of the business. It is the ultimate team game among those playing on the field and those in supporting roles and a very unexact science at the same time. Winning requires execution by many and some luck and when that doesn't happen, change happens. Much of the on-field success is in the hands of very young men (players) who are very early in their adult lives.

Doug may hurt for a short while but he'll be fine. He's got a lot of experience now to draw upon and will learn from that. We should expect that he'll pick himself up, dust himself off and take on another challenge in the football world soon. Wish him much success and happiness in the future.

If you are reading this Doug, let me say it was obvious you were in a bad situation from the get go. From Marrone to the Ryan Brothers, to McDermott, you were expected to be a team guy, but got left holding the bag for their bad decisions. Hope your next job is saner.

He was an improvement over what we had before and did some good things, but his two signature decisions were EJ and the Watkins trade. Oh for two.

And I can't remember the last time it didn't seem like the FO and the coaching staff were at odds for one reason or another. No organization is ever successful unless everyone is on the same page and that hasn't been the case at OBD in a long time. That might not be all Whaley's fault, but you can't keep ignoring the problem and you've already replaced the owner and coach.

Timing is everything in life and Doug's timing was not favourable. I don't know if any GM could have succeeded in this soap opera. I always felt that Doug never really had true GM power. It seemed that he went from being Buddy Nix' understudy to ceding decision making to the revolving (revolting?!) door of coaches that have darkened our doorway. As a result he leaves with us not really knowing what he was about philosophically as a personnel man. He had some success and I thought he was classy if a poor communicator. I am grateful for his service and wish him well.

You can't help but like the good things DW bought to our Bills

A couple of more wins annually, relevancy, better drafts, saavy trades, and some gems in FA

However he left us without a top tier QB, only one legit NFL WR, no playoffs, and continuous cap issues

He had a nasty habit of continually trading up in drafts and trading away draft picks without success

Though other than my criticisms I have no idea why the Pegs decided to let him go

My best guess if they looked at the overall picture and thought the team should be more successful

And that DW's record didn't suggest he was the one that could make that happen

I'm sure he'll find other employment elsewhere, I wish him the best of luck

I'd like to think the change will be good for all parties involved including our Bills moving forward

jc

Ironic.

He just hired his first HC and many of us are excited about McD.

And he just had maybe his best draft as graded by the draft gurus.

And he gets fired.

Best wishes, Doug, where ever you go as long as it's not New England.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Doug,
Thank you.

This is the NFL. Not For Long. So long Doug.

Best wishes

Agreed. It's a performance-based business and that caught up to him.

Overall I thought Whaley did a good job at talent identification and acquisition. I would love to know who really made some of the contract calls.

Having to serve the needs of 3 different HC did not help. People forget that where there's consistency in drafting and a lot of draft picks stay and play, there is also consistency in coaching and scheme.

You have to wish him well. He's got some solid skills and made some great moves and trades. His stubbornness was an asset and his downfall. I hope he takes the lessons learned and puts his skills to use somewhere and finds success. Remember, he took over from Buddy on the tail end of the uber dysfunctional Bill's RWW days and put us on a better path. He made some bad missteps, but I still like and respect him. It's just time to move on. I don't understand the glee people are getting from his firing. Especially from the hyenas at the BN.

I wish Doug the best too. I suspect he will resurface as a personnel guy somewhere in the league.

Look at Doug's tenure, he came in a "hot shot" from the great Pittsburgh organization. Unfortunately he worked for the most dysfunctional FO in the NFL with Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix at the helm. Nix was no GM, he is a good Scout and that is all Buddy Nix should have ever been. Brandon was not a football guy and never will be. We also had Tom Modrak, content to work from home in Jacksonville, a knowledgeable guy but he mailed it in. Jim Overdorf's management of the cap has been dreadful.

Doug did not pick Marone, he inherited him. He did not pick Rex either.

Doug made errors, but no more than the rest of the crew. He actually performed his job the best of the entire bunch named above. Better than the Pegula's too.

I bet we see him succeed in some capacity elsewhere.

Edited by Bob in STL

I'll add my thanks, too.

This man worked hard and was responsible for a dramatic improvement in the talent on the team. Before Nix and Whaley, the Bills drafted players from small conferences, small schools and schools that didn't have winning programs. Whaley changed all that. He started drafting from schools with winning records in the best conferences; in other words, he began drafting players who were outstanding athletes who knew something about winning.

And in free agency he did even better. Under Whaley, the Bills acquired a lot of free agents who were drafted in the first or second round and who had struggled with their original team. Those guys have talent and need time to get their feet on the ground. When Whaley signed them, they often blossomed.

So, Mr. Whaley, thanks for all you did, and good luck always.