[closed]Doug Whaley has been relieved of his duties

I applaud Whaley for remaining professional right to the end.'He knew what was coming yet he was there to help the organization through draft weekend.

With saying that, this is a move that was needed.

Doubt Russ needs to worry, Jim O, yeah I'd be nervous if I were him. Do wonder if this happened quicker than planned due to all the leaks. TP just figured, lets get this done now and be done with it as opposed to constantly being questioned about it.

If true that he knew he was being fired after the draft, is that really then being fired, or just more an agreement to part ways.

From ESPN:

Statement from Bills owner Terry Pegula on firing of GM Doug Whaley this morning: "After a thorough review of our football operations over the past several months, Kim and I informed Doug this morning that we will be moving in a new direction. We have enjoyed working with Doug. He is a good person and we want to thank him for his work and commitment to our football team. This was my decision. It was not an easy decision but I believe it's the right one for the future of the Buffalo Bills. Our search for a new general manager will begin immediately."

Will BrinsonVerified account @WillBrinson

Weird Whaley tenure started with draft he claimed ownership of but wasn't GM for and ended with draft he was GM for but wasn't in charge of

Retweet

Edited by Kemp2Warlick

Not really, that's typical. From what I've heard over the years front office contracts all typically expire May 1st, after the draft. Teams don't want to lose their continuity prior to the draft and the people spilling the beans to other teams.

I'm surprised they would wait until after the draft. Maybe kept him around as a glorified acout?

Just doesn't happen like that at a high level and why would Whaley agree to that. His contract was to be the GM, any other job, he'd need to agree to do it. With everything going on, why would he want to do that?

Im surprised he wasnt retained on some scouting level. I was a supporter of his, but more so the team. Hope for something new and improved

I'm surprised they would wait until after the draft. Maybe kept him around as a glorified acout?

He knew which way they were going ... don't let him loose before in case he starts talking to others .... the old addage ... "keep you enemies closer" .. I think applies here.

McDermott wanted Whaley gone. It took him a few months to figure that out=P

Did you guys not see Terry speech after he fired Sabers GM and coach? It sounded like McDermott wrote it.

McDermott has a lot of power with the pegs Now, and it was no secret Whaley was on his way out.

This is a great move. Whaley was a total fail boat. This is the first draft in a while where our team is actually building for a future. Enjoy it!

Now we are going to have the buddy nix game again. If you liked Whaley, and the draft picks from this year suck...they were Mcdermots picks. If you didn't like Whaley and the draft picks suck, they where whaleys picks. And what do you know, there's a QB involved again lol. Oh well, I'm good with Whaley being gone. Use two firsts to take the 4th best WR in a draft class. Hang into the worst QB in football and continue to minipulate the roster to keep him active on game days. Don't win enough and have a piss poor relationship with coach after coach...see ya.

This should have been done earlier when Rex got fired. Don't give me Whaley would have released the Bills draft strategy because 1. McDermott is the reason behind this and was new so no need to be concerned about what Whaley would say and 2. Many believed Whaley sucked at the draft so would other teams really engage what he had to say reference what the Bills planned to do. Hopefully they hire someone with GM experience but they will hire the assistant GM from Carolina according to the rumors circulating.