RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

he went 22/37 with 5 TD's and 308 yards in that game so I guess all of his misses were the over dozen terrible balls you mentioned. I can live with that against the National Champions.

He made some great throws and plays. It was his best game ever! He also made a dozen terrible throws and several horrible plays. Some of his incompletions were great throws and some of his completions were bad throws. He made a lot of bad throws and a lot of nifty ones. Watching it, I would never say this screams NFL QB though. At all. Watch it. It's every pass play, including ones he ran on, some of which were very nice.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He made some great throws and plays. It was his best game ever! He also made a dozen terrible throws and several horrible plays. Some of his incompletions were great throws and some of his completions were bad throws. He made a lot of bad throws and a lot of nifty ones. Watching it, I would never say this screams NFL QB though. At all. Watch it. It's every pass play, including ones he ran on, some of which were very nice.

Is it just me or is Peterman playing with zero pass protection in this game?

Well Brady had some games like that too...besides I read on here he is the next Brady

His arm mostly looks fine in that video. His footwork is EXCEPTIONAL. He is patient, decisive, accurate, and tough (he took a few big hits in order to complete passes). His ball placement mostly perfect. Based on that game alone (which is a bad idea), he's the perfect type of QB to run Dennison's stretch offense, because he's mobile (enough) and excels at play-action.

This dude is going to surprise some folks, I'm telling you.

I came away from that video more impressed. I didn't see the dozen terrible throws that you saw. I counted maybe 5 bad throws and his worst one was definitely a deep ball that he threw a duck on. But I also saw Clemson consistently hitting him with pressure and he never backed down. Peterman knows how to step up in the pocket and he throws to covered receivers multiple times. Real NFL receivers will fight for the ball on some of those. I came away from the video wondering why Mahomes can get away with absolutely horrible throws and decisions, while this kid fell to the 5th round. He doesn't shy away from pressure and he's very accurate. Smart too, isn't going to take a lot of unnecessary sacks in the NFL.

Thanks for posting the video.

Yeah he was under attack the entire game. Welcome to the Bills.

Couple throws looked like he had some zip on the ball , but its hard to use good mechanics throwing off your back foot or on the run 90% of the time.

kids a gamer, looks like he sees the field well under pressure, I like him/chances :thumbsup:

Edited by Figster

I came away from that video more impressed. I didn't see the dozen terrible throws that you saw. I counted maybe 5 bad throws and his worst one was definitely a deep ball that he threw a duck on. But I also saw Clemson consistently hitting him with pressure and he never backed down. Peterman knows how to step up in the pocket and he throws to covered receivers multiple times. Real NFL receivers will fight for the ball on some of those. I came away from the video wondering why Mahomes can get away with absolutely horrible throws and decisions, while this kid fell to the 5th round. He doesn't shy away from pressure and he's very accurate. Smart too, isn't going to take a lot of unnecessary sacks in the NFL.

His worst one, by far, was a weakly thrown WR screen that should have been a pick six but was just broken up as an incompletion. He threw some jump balls that were very bad passes. Gunned a few from four yards away. Missed open recievers 15 yards downfield and one or two longer ones. And again, he made some great throws. It was his best game.

His worst one, by far, was a weakly thrown WR screen that should have been a pick six but was just broken up as an incompletion. He threw some jump balls that were very bad passes. Gunned a few from four yards away. Missed open recievers 15 yards downfield and one or two longer ones. And again, he made some great throws. It was his best game.

That screen was a telegraphed play - Clemson was all over their plays and their WRs most of the time, probably because Clemson is a much better program with better athletes and coaches.

Agree 100%. He will throw to covered receivers. The more I see, the more I like.

Your opinion is more than fair, at this point we'll have to wait and see what happens. He's far from a perfect prospect but I think he has the tools to take his game to the next level. I think worst case scenario you have a Ryan Fitzpatrick type and that's a good find in the 5th round.

That screen was a telegraphed play - Clemson was all over their plays and their WRs most of the time, probably because Clemson is a much better program with better athletes and coaches.

He wound up and threw it very slow though. It was bad. He also threw what could have been a backwards screen that was blocked by a DL that looked bad. I actually think he is really good, don't get me wrong, I just worry he has a rag arm. If he doesn't, he could be a Kirk Cousins, and that kind of player will last ten years in this league. That game, however, did not scream NFL player to me. I understand that some will say, under tremendous pressure, against a top team, he eeked out a huge upset, which is surely true.

He threw five TDs I think. None were wow throws. But one was a great lob in the endzone. Another was a very nice dart from ten yards between a few guys. Both excellent throws. One was a shuffle pass although he did it nicely (several times he worked the shuffle great and it's a play I hate). One was an easy throw to someone that was not covered at all. Can't recall the fifth.

Your opinion is more than fair, at this point we'll have to wait and see what happens. He's far from a perfect prospect but I think he has the tools to take his game to the next level. I think worst case scenario you have a Ryan Fitzpatrick type and that's a good find in the 5th round.

That's a very good fifth rounder.

The only way to get a top QB next year is to finish near last in the league. The Jets, 49ers, Jags, Browns are not trading out of that spot.

The way they didn't trade out for Wentz?The way they didn't trade out for Watson?

San Fran literally moved down a spot in the draft and didn't take Trubisky.

Which I find all the more amusing, the teams everyone pegged to be legit contenders for a QB all seem to be waiting for next year's class and yet they are all wrong.

Plus, picks talk, never know who is going to draft that high and never know what the price will be if they have to infact move up.

Furthermore, this class, if all holds up is pretty dang deep at the QB position.

After looking at his snaps from a number of games I'm impressed with him. Like almost all rookie QBs I see him as a developmental player who is not ready to start on most teams, including the Bills. He might be effective relatively quickly in say the Cowboys O assuming that he can deal with the speed and step up in competition. I think if he was pressured to start too early it could get pretty ugly pretty fast what with the turnovers. In order to succeed he needs to continue to do the things that he already does well but against better competition and he needs to do them with greater consistency than he did in college. That is a pretty tall order, given that his execution can already be spotty at the college level . IMO he is athletic enuf to play the position in the NFL. When his mechanics are good and he sets up properly he looks to me to have enuf arm, not a gun but probably enuf to make the throws. His mechanics are often disrupted by pressure, and some of that is on his O line. His receivers also drop some well placed balls. Don't know how those units were ranked.

As with almost all rooks the question is whether he is trending up or has pretty much already reached his ceiling. I don't think you can know the answer to that question until things play out. To me his ceiling is starter, and his floor is low end backup. I'm hoping he can develop of course. He is an interesting prospect.

Edited by starrymessenger

That Bills fans have always had a fascination with backup QBs ......

That old line about nobody being more popular than the backup QB ...

... I like the pick. I didn't follow these mid-round QBs at all, so all I know is what I read now and see on video clips. Seems like a solid choice. So did, for example, T.J. Yates when he was taken in the 5th round in 2011. In general, Peterman should be very happy if he has a career as good as TJ Yates. Here's how cbs sports summed up the usual fate of 3rd day draft QB picks (occasioned by yet another team dumping Zach Mettenberger):

Don't expect much from those quarterbacks selected on Day 3," we said at the time. "We might as well get that out of the way early. Yes, you can be optimistic and try to talk yourself into thinking the fifth-round QB your team selected was a steal, or you can be realistic and accept that fact that, in general, quarterbacks taken in Rounds 4-7 have short, low-impact NFL existences.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-cut-backup-qb-zach-mettenberger-days-after-drafting-joshua-dobbs/

And cbssports was actually quoting itself ... that paragraph was written 3 years ago ...

I'm not a Peterman apologetic, but I see people calling the Clemson game his best game. It really wasn't. It was just the best team he played, for sure.

Maybe this is his best game: https://youtu.be/65kbQVjIK6A

Shows his competitiveness, toughness, decision-making, footwork...but still plenty of examples of that weak arm and grip strength. Crappy passes to the sideline and two fumbles when running. That spells trouble in the NFL.

I'm not a Peterman apologetic, but I see people calling the Clemson game his best game. It really wasn't. It was just the best team he played, for sure.

Maybe this is his best game:

Shows his competitiveness, toughness, decision-making, footwork...but still plenty of examples of that weak arm and grip strength. Crappy passes to the sideline and two fumbles when running. That spells trouble in the NFL.

Yeah, I'm sorry that's not his best game, at all.

I don't think anyone posted his scouting report yet.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

Strengths

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Weaknesses

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

Draft Projection

Round 3-4

Sources Tell Us

"I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel

NFL Comparison

Kirk Cousins

Bottom Line

Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.

Gruden spoke very highly of him from his camp .

He graduated after 3 years.

His trick shot video was really cool.

I think he did the same in high school. Seems he's book smart plus has a high football IQ. Edited by Augie

I find it ironic that a fifth round developmental QB has generated 38 pages of discussion while the 1st round likely starting CB has generated 30 pages.

Kind of shows the general uneasiness with the entrenched starter.

I find it ironic that a fifth round developmental QB has generated 38 pages of discussion while the 1st round likely starting CB has generated 30 pages.

Or just that NFL quarterback is the most important position in all of sports and generates a lot of discourse and disagreement.

Whaley getting fired has 77 pages .... so maybe QB isn't all that important?

Well he red-shirted a year at Tennessee. Then played as a sophomore. Then two years at Pitt.

So, right, 2+2=3.

Lol, you do realize he went to Pitt as a graduate transfer correct? He completed his alloted amount of college credits to get a degree in three years.

This can be achieved through taking college credited courses in highscool,graduating high school early leading to early enrollment to college, summer courses, etc...

Yeah no question if we had a true FQB there would be less interest in the 5th round rookie. Not no interest, but less.

Yeah no question if we had a true FQB there would be less interest in the 5th round rookie. Not no interest, but less.

Definitely less exaggeration of his abilities. People should temper their expectations. He has the tools to be good, but needs plenty of work.