Ironic About Coach McDermott

He will probably role with the current QB room and say he can make it work with them and that

1.) Scheme

2.) Heart

3.) Character

Will be the keys to victory.

But I find it interesting that the only reason McDermott is a Head Coach in the Nfl is NOT because of Scheme, Heart, Character but

1.) The Panthers went 1-15

2.) Ryan Fitzpatrick got hot.

Let's just say I don't see Coach McDermott would be on the radar with Jimmy Clausen running the show in Carolina.

You would hope Coach McDermott would be different and realize this...but it sounds like it is trending in the other direction.

There is that great preview for GOT. With all the faces of characters who have died. Feel we have one similar in Buffalo for coaches who believed in Scheme, Character and Heart over the important things.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will probably role with the current QB room and say he can make it work with them and that

1.) Scheme

2.) Heart

3.) Character

But I find it interesting that the only reason McDermott is a Head Coach in the Nfl is NOT because of Scheme, Heart, Character but

Let's just say I don't see Coach McDermott would be on the radar with Jimmy Clausen running the show in Carolina.

You would hope Coach McDermott would be different and realize this...but it sounds like it is trending in the other direction.

There is that great preview for GOT. With all the faces of characters who have died. Feel we have one similar in Buffalo for coaches who believed in Scheme, Character and Heart over the important things.

I don't understand what your saying.

1.) Scheme

2.) Heart

3.) Character

Great post. This will be hard for many to understand but I like how you presented this.

I'm all for being critical of the Bills and their decisions but from reading this you seem to be concerned about how he got hired?

As a first time head coach I'm concerned about the X's and O's. Choice of DC. In game management. New coach assuming some GM duties. Hands on owners. Roster shedding talent.

I don't care how he got here. He seems strong on commitment and holding players accountable. I don't know how everything I listed will shake out, but I think we can all agree this team needed an attitude adjustment. Rex and Rob turned this into a day spa, even some of the unaccountable players called for accountability!

I'm all for being critical of the Bills and their decisions but from reading this you seem to be concerned about how he got hired?

As a first time head coach I'm concerned about the X's and O's. Choice of DC. In game management. New coach assuming some GM duties. Hands on owners. Roster shedding talent.

I don't care how he got here. He seems strong on commitment and holding players accountable. I don't know how everything I listed will shake out, but I think we can all agree this team needed an attitude adjustment. Rex and Rob turned this into a day spa, even some of the unaccountable players called for accountability!

I think the post simply stated that McDermott would never have been on the radar to get a head coaching job if a set of circumstances hadn't allowed Carolina to draft Cam Newton. So it was a star QB that made his promotion possible.

Now that he got his promotion the OP is saying, "Sean! Rememeber how you got here. Get a QB."

McD wasn't hired because of Carolina's record in 2015 or SB run, if you want to say that was all Cam Newton. He wasn't even hired because of his defensive scheme or Xs and Os. He was hired because he displays the leadership traits of a HC. Which is much harder to find than someone who just succeeded as a coordinator. Vance Joseph and Anthony Lynn were hired for the same reason.

Edited by YoloinOhio

McD wasn't hired because of Carolina's record in 2015 or SB run, if you want to say that was all Cam Newton. He wasn't even hired because of his defensive scheme or Xs and Os. He was hired because he displays the leadership traits of a HC. Which is much harder to find than someone who just succeeded as a coordinator. Vance Joseph and Anthony Lynn were hired for the same reason.

Thats right.

For sure. But the OP's original point is pretty strong. McDermott's interviews and requests started after the Superbowl run. I think he might have got a few inquiries that year but got hired the next. Teams don't hire guys making deep playoff runs but that puts people on the next up list.

Only in the minds of some Bills fans would issues like character, discipline, accountability, attention to detail be criticized.

We'll see how McD does. Whether he can do HC duties as opposed to DC duties is an open question. What shouldn't be an open question is that the above are desirable traits for any leader.

how many coordinators are hired that are NOT successful on their side of the ball? I don't disagree on the main reason he was hired, but you don't get an interview if you ALSO don't have success in your specialty.

how many coordinators are hired that are NOT successful on their side of the ball? I don't disagree on the main reason he was hired, but you don't get an interview if you ALSO don't have success in your specialty.

Anthony Lynn was a coordinator for a handful of games before that he was a RB coach and some other pillow soft positions. It was well known Lynn would be a HC one day even prior to Roman's dismissal. These guys get reputations around the league as leaders and potential HC and until they screw that up, that's where they are headed. Sure, being a good OC\DC helps when giving the oppurtunity.

I'd relate it to baseball catchers like Joe Giradi but who even watches baseball anymore!

Vance Joseph's D was among worst in the league last year. And it was his one and only year as DC. Mike McCarthy had a terrible offense in SF when hired by GB. Alynn wasn't even running his own scheme (his words) and had the worse passing offense in the league. You can blame the players all you want but that won't get you HC jobs. Alynn isn't running the offense in LA, Whisenhunt is. I'm sure there are more, but these just came to mind. Many HCs are indeed hired mainly for their success as coordinators but it's not the only way to go. Eventually the HC can be looked at as just the HC and not "an offensive or defensive HC." Edited by YoloinOhio

Anthony Lynn was a coordinator for a handful of games before that he was a RB coach and some other pillow soft positions. It was well known Lynn would be a HC one day even prior to Roman's dismissal. These guys get reputations around the league as leaders and potential HC and until they screw that up, that's where they are headed. Sure, being a good OC\DC helps when giving the oppurtunity.

I'd relate it to baseball catchers like Joe Giradi but who even watches baseball anymore!

im an Angels fan, so it works. Scioscia.

i think he is gonna have success. i haven't been this excited during an offseason since probably the glory years or for a head coach since marv levy....

fan since 1973 btw. i think he will instill a professional winning culture again here. i sure hope he's running the draft.

If he can fix the mess Rex made on defense, things will be much improved.

Seems he is well on his way as far as changing the atmosphere, too bad he couldn't return some of these players that were drafted for Rexy. That's the aggravating part about the Ryan's, the only part of that tenure that was taking seriously was making sure the Bills went after fits for Ryan.

Drugs are bad.

I mean I watch almost every Mets even when they're bad and have the weekday season ticket plan.

I'm optimistic. But I also have in mind that the Rams hired Spagnola, the hottest coordinator, who failed. They also hired Scott Linehan, who also failed despite being the hot coordinator. I attribute those failures on the Rams organization, who could not draft their way out of a paper bag. The fish rots from the head down.

I think Rex blew it. When he took over, the Bills had a top 6 defense, which he promptly ruined. Had he done as promised and made the defense number one, they would have easily been in the playoffs both years. He failed. His big fat ego and his big fat brother damaged our defense.

But they are not beyond repair. We come back with last year's number one and two picks, and a coordinator who has a clear idea of how to run a defense. If they can get Marcel to play consistently in the middle, I think we have a pretty good chance.

What the players seemed to say was they needed better leadership. They have talent. I believe we are much better off now with McDermott than we were a year ago. I'm glad that Rex had such a bad year that enabled the hiring of the new coach, as well as the number 10 pick in the draft.

Cannot wait for tomorrow. Trade down and get more guys.

Seems he is well on his way as far as changing the atmosphere, too bad he couldn't return some of these players that were drafted for Rexy. That's the aggravating part about the Ryan's, the only part of that tenure that was taking seriously was making sure the Bills went after fits for Ryan.

Not worried about Lawson. Ragland...maybe. But we'll see.

And ultimately it will depend on the QB play.