Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another dumb front office move that will keep us out of the playoffs. Not only did we give up a top-tier back up, we gave him up to the Pats, our arch nemesis. Once again the Pats buy low. Mark my word - Gillislee will rush for 1200+ yards and contend for the league lead in rushing this year...

Amazing

Phew. Liked MG but no big deal and we pick up a draft pick.

This feels like bizarro world. Pats overpay for a backup RB and have like 5RBs on the roster and Bills don't panic, take the cap space and mid round pick.

It's been said many times but if the situation was reversed everyone would be laughing at the Bills. But hey the Pats have the greatest QB/coach combo ever so every move ends up winning a Super Bowl. Funny how that works. Edited by HappyDays

Another dumb front office move that will keep us out of the playoffs. Not only did we give up a top-tier back up, we gave him up to the Pats, our arch nemesis. Once again the Pats buy low. Mark my word - Gillislee will rush for 1200+ yards and contend for the league lead in rushing this year...

Who left the liquor cabinet unlocked?

The Bills spent a 5th round pick on a RB last year. He was highly thought of before injury cost him his senior year. He had not played in over a year before joining the Bills last year and he found himself at the bottom of the depth chart behind MG and Rex's pet project. People are underestimating him because he did not show much in very limited time last year. Let's see what we have. There is no urgent need here. If Williams does not show enough during offseason work and training camp there will be options, potentially other discarded diamonds in the rough like MG available. In any case, despite his stats and the outpouring of fan angst, MG is replaceable.

Funniest part of this whole issue is that either way, it doesn't matter at all. There are probably 20 more important things the Bills need to improve on before we start worrying about backup RB/depth at RB. It also doesn't matter much for the Pats. Pats maybe get slightly better on the margin at RB if MG actually plays a lot.

Alvin Bowen

Nic Harris

Ed Wang

Johnny White

Zebrie Sanders

Jonathan Meeks

Cyril Richardson

Karlos Williams

jonathan Williams

Bills recent 5th round picks all say hi

As long as we pick a RB with the last name Williams we should be good. Just no OL with Williams.

Logically I'm fine with this. Emotionally, I liked watching TD Mike play for the Bills and have the feeling that almost by definition the Pats will end up with the better deal on this and Gillislee will run amok on the Bills D in the two meetings.

The scars run deep.

The Bills spent a 5th round pick on a RB last year. He was highly thought of before injury cost him his senior year. He had not played in over a year before joining the Bills last year and he found himself at the bottom of the depth chart behind MG and Rex's pet project. People are underestimating him because he did not show much in very limited time last year. Let's see what we have. There is no urgent need here. If Williams does not show enough during offseason work and training camp there will be options, potentially other discarded diamonds in the rough like MG available. In any case, despite his stats and the outpouring of fan angst, MG is replaceable.

It's almost like... we drafted the replacement before we lost the player...? Like a competent front office would do.... bizarre.

Gillislee had 50 rushing yards when he started in place of McCoy. Shady gets 50 yards falling forward.

We'll be fine.

marked

I cant believe people actually care that Gillislee is gone. The type of RB he is, you can find one in the 5th or 6th this draft. Or even get Mixon in the 2nd or 3rd (Barring he lasts until the 3rd). Same thing with Hogan. They are average to, maybe, slightly above average players in their positions. Hogan benefited from a pass first offense and Brady. I will happily take the 5th.

Gillislee had 50 rushing yards when he started in place of McCoy. Shady gets 50 yards falling forward.

We'll be fine.

Don't forget in 2015 in the season finale against the Jets he had 24 carries for 28 yards, I like MG as a change of pace back but it's been displayed he can't be the lead horse in the stable.

Actually the Bills bought low when they picked up a RB off the scrap heap and sold high when they turned him into a 5th round pick.

Whaley gets late 5th rounder for productive short yardage, goaline back and elite backup to a 29 year old with ton of mileage.

Whaley trades early 4th round pick for fumbling bust Bryce Brown....

Yeah Whaley is a genius.

Edited by Billy Zabka

Good.

They maybe messed up by not putting the 2nd round tender, but don't double down by overpaying. That's how the terrorists (aka Pats) win.

I think that's the bottom line tbh.

I would've given him the 2nd round tender, to prevent other teams from going fishing with bids. If there was serious interest from elsewhere, then he could always have signed the tender and been traded for a lesser pick than the second, which would still be better than the 5th we will get from the Patsies.

While I would've preferred he was retained (not on the terms the Patsies have got him for), at the end of the day, we got him for nothing, got production out of him, and now he's gone, we are getting a 5th round pick for him. In a profit and loss column, it's pretty much all profit.

Disappointed. He was good with us.

Yes we get another draft pick, but now RB becomes more of an issue, so we may have to use that pick on another RB.

Perfect. It's simple math. A replacement 5th rounder at $2.6 million (last year's 163th pick contract) over 4 years instead of $6M over two. Or for all the "RBs are a dime a dozen" guys it taking a more pressing need in the 5th and RB later or as an UDFA. MG was good, but behind a very good run blocking line and easily replaceable. Not worried.

i wouldnt go THAT far, but he will probably be a respectable player.

*Italian chef kissing his fingers* perfezionare

Are Bills contending for the playoffs or rebuilding?

Do the guys in the front office even know?

So they let MG go but resign Tyrod Taylor for 30 million for 2 years and 8.5 dead cap.

This is the major problem that organization is having.....constantly treading that 8-8 line.

Perfect. It's simple math. A replacement 5th rounder at $2.6 million (last year's 163th pick contract) over 4 years instead of $6M over two. Or for all the "RBs are a dime a dozen" guys it taking a more pressing need in the 5th and RB later or as an UDFA. MG was good, but behind a very good run blocking line and easily replaceable. Not worried.

^^^

This person gets it!

Disappointed. He was good with us.

Yes we get another draft pick, but now RB becomes more of an issue, so we may have to use that pick on another RB.

Possible, but seeing as this would be our 3rd RB, it is possible that we may find one after the draft. I hate to see him go as well, but I am hoping they use this time to research who they may be able to get with that fifth round pick and liked what they saw.

We'll see if this was the smart move soon.

How good is the player we draft with the Pats 5th Round Pick? What kind of production will we get out of our backup RBs? What happens if McCoy goes down with an injury?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

Can't see that with White and Burkhead back there as well

you can put White with either Burkhead or Gilly. White is pretty much a third down back.

Gilly and Burkhead come in at 6.5 million between the 2. So contract for Pats isnt bad