Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think the #2 spot was up for grabs after Williams was cut?

Williams didn't even play the year before.

Let's think....rookie who didn't play in 2015 or a vet who is coming back in his second year in the system?

I'm guessing you think players can't move up in the depth chart after their first year....Gillisee was always a #2 back right?

So in other words, don't keep the proven commodity. Instead, kick him to the curb, and hope that what is behind door #3(old let's make a deal reference) can fill the role.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Easy to say a replacement backup RB can simply be drafted late, but that would require ignoring how good MG has been. Various advanced stat places rank MG up there as the most efficient RB in the league. Burkhead, another Pats target, is generally right behind him. DVOA and other advanced stats measuring efficiency can be skewed by sample size sure, but it is highly telling that the Pats roll out of another championship season targeting these 2 guys. MG may actually be worth the extra $$$.

NFL Live crew raving about what a genius move this is and how this is the last piece of the puzzle for the Pats*. They also said they are clearly trolling us...

This is too funny. The Bills can't do anything right. The whole sports world appears to know this yet the World Champs look to sign their cast offs. Too funny.

Thad Brown Retweeted matthew

You can find A GUY to be backup RB in lots of places. Likely an adequate one. But not likely as good as Gillislee.

This!

Match the offer. It won't break us.

Replying to @JoeBuscaglia

Gillislee led the league in YPC and a few other categories. He's likely better than a 5th rd pick.

This too!

At a minimum, Gillislee is worth a 4th round pick.

I'm in the let him go and use that 5th round pick on a RB to obtain similar production with a better value for a longer contract duration....too many other issues to address than sign on for an overcompensated back-up RB...with Shady in town, that's what this truly becomes....just IMO of course.

Edited by BigBuff423

Joel Cory of CBS just said on the Murphy Show there is a real problem with the Bills here as this generally does not happen to other teams. They could of put 2nd round tender for about $1M more.

Did Murph excoriate him on air as a result?

This is a mistake by the FO. They should have put the 2nd round tender on him and we wouldn't have this issue. It would have been the cheaper option as well now.

Whaley still "okay?"

Who would you rather go against twice a year? Gillislee, Blount, or Peterson?

I think Whaley had no intention of resigning him and wanted that 5th round pick. He knew no one would give us a 2nd round pick, do went with the 5th round tender. I expect a big back to be drafted, like Da'Onta Foreman or Conner.

So in other words, don't keep the proven commodity. Instead, kick him to the curb, and hope that what is behind door #3(old let's make a deal reference) can fill the role.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

6 carries a game. That's monumental...that can't be replaced.

We pulled Gillisee from the streets....wasn't even in the NFL the season before we signed him.

How did the Pats recover from getting rid of proven commodities like Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins?

Who would you rather go against twice a year? Gillislee, Blount, or Peterson?

I think Whaley had no intention of resigning him and wanted that 5th round pick. He knew no one would give us a 2nd round pick, do went with the 5th round tender. I expect a big back to be drafted, like Da'Onta Foreman or Conner.

You might be right. I was thinking the same thing.

We pulled Gillisee from the streets....wasn't even in the NFL the season before we signed him.

How did the Pats recover from getting rid of proven commodities like Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins?

and he's proven to be a very good player for a team with poor quality depth, esp at WR, and wants to run the ball.

Hey, I like Gilly and I'm not happy to see him go to the Pats. But a 5th round pick helps us a lot with depth.

This is a year that I keep hearing is deep at A) defensive backs B) running back and C) wide receiver. Which just so happens to be the three positions the Bills need the most depth in.

Here a 5th rounder can give us fresher legs for 4 more years. I would be more worried if we are looking for a starter, but I'm not freaking out.

- to your first point. that's a reflection of poor play calling. find a team that actually uses weapons, and he's an even bigger threat.

- to your second. talent is talent. playmaking is playmaking...the best NFL team and the best NFL coach both saw that, and nabbed him.

i really don't get people trying to justify the actions of this silly franchise by downplaying the loss of key players, especially when they go to a team in OUR division, that just won 2 out of the last 3 superbowls. baffling.

Hey, I like Gilly and I'm not happy to see him go to the Pats. But a 5th round pick helps us a lot with depth.

This is a year that I keep hearing is deep at A) defensive backs B) running back and C) wide receiver. Which just so happens to be the three positions the Bills need the most depth in.

Here a 5th rounder can give us fresher legs for 4 more years. I would be more worried if we are looking for a starter, but I'm not freaking out.

MG is better than that fifth round pick.

For those not quite panicking enough, lets not forget about JW's 4 game suspension to start the season.

The NFL gives 2 games max for a DUI if the player has no other personal conduct violations Edited by JM57

and he's proven to be a very good player for a team with poor quality depth, esp at WR, and wants to run the ball.

We were thin at WR last year with all the injuries and wanted to run the ball....still attributed to only 6 carries a game last year.

We got Gillisee off street...it's not too hard to find a decent back up.

Maybe I'm missing something...But I don't think anyone is assuming the Pats would give up 2nd Round Picks...That's the whole idea...You pay a little more to assure the player returns... B-)

Maybe we would rather have a 5th round pick?

Grossly underused here, this will hurt.

We have Shady...would you sit shady for Dizzy?

Let's be honest here, there was a significant drop off when Gilly had to be the starter. The reason why he was so effective was because McCoy did the real damage. I am fine with Jonathon Williams being the back up, and bringing in another RB off the street to compete. Our o line is good enough to plug most any back up RB in there.

BB doesn't want Gilly, he just wants to screw the Bills. Don't fall for his nonsense.

He was ineffective only when they did not trust him and give him the Rock 25 times against the Dolphins...but I do think BB wins either way here.

Good for Gillislee. With the average employment span of an NFL running back under 4 years in the league, I'm glad to see him cash in. Now let's see if the Bills think he's worth paying.

:thumbsup:

If you think our free agent scrap heap signing backup RB is worth $4m and a 5th round pick, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Don't think he is scrap heap just because he was a FA..but that is a chit ton for backup RB.

Unfortunately, you gotta let him walk. Buffalo screwed up again, this isn't the Patriots fault it's the fault of a horrible GM and front office. Screw it, I guess we'll be in the mix for Leonard Fournette

:D:D ( I am assuming you were being sarcastic)

If it is all wrong, explain Karlos Williams. One year Karlos has a good year, next year Gilly does. The only constant was the starting RB and the O line.

:thumbsup: Great point. I like JWill too...scared of his fumbling

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Please just get rid of Whaley and Bylsma. It is only a matter of time for both and they are getting in the way of turning things around. The Pegula's are starting to become synonymous with losing as much as the city is. If the Carolina Hurricanes make the playoffs next year and the Bills and Sabres don't, Pegula will be the proud owner of two sports franchises with the longest playoff drought in their respective sport. The Bills drought of course being the longest of all major North American sports.

- to your first point. that's a reflection of poor play calling. find a team that actually uses weapons, and he's an even bigger threat.

- to your second. talent is talent. playmaking is playmaking...the best NFL team and the best NFL coach both saw that, and nabbed him.

i really don't get people trying to justify the actions of this silly franchise by downplaying the loss of key players, especially when they go to a team in OUR division, that just won 2 out of the last 3 superbowls. baffling.

You're calling it bad play calling when we were #1 in rushing two years in a row? How is that possible?

Talent is talent and playmaking is playmaking....that same team let go of one of the best pass rushers in Chandler Jones and best linebackers in Jamie Collins in one year. Those weren't talented or playmaking players?

I'm not justifying every action but I'm not going to cry with everyone either.

Did Murph excoriate him on air as a result?

Whaley still "okay?"

I try to objectively judge each decision. Forcing a bunch of things into one bucket to fit a narrative isn't a very good way to analyze things. This clearly falls in the mistake bucket IMO. At the same time, he did the EXACT same thing with Groy and signed him under the tender. That would have to fall in the success bucket. You can't hate what happened here and hate what happened with Groy. One was good and one was bad.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Let me get this straight. You're quitting your Bills fanhood over a back up RB? 8 days before the draft? Well if that's the case I don't wanna see you posting Willy nilly around here until you come to your senses. You need a timeout.

He's not done, none of us are but it isn't the backup RB, it's the never ending stream of terrible decisions made by Whaley and the front office.