Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He isn't?

That's backup RB money right there.

Theo Riddick, Bilal Powell, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead--all of them are getting more than the 2nd round tender.

I doubt NE signs Mike if it is a 2nd round tender, a fact lost on so many around here

Yea.

All common sense to the average fan. Unfortunately not for Bills management.

I dunno, Hogan wasn't worth the $$ last year, Gillisleee isn't worth the $$ this year IMO.

Why do Bills fans always care so much about backups?

I dunno, Hogan wasn't worth the $$ last year, Gillisleee isn't worth the $$ this year IMO.

Two players we pulled from the scrap heap. They can be replaced. It just sucks it's the Pats, and we know they are going to use our own former players to thrash us, and get more from them than we ever could.

Edited by DrDareustein

Horrible management of the cap. 2nd round tender protects him and if he gets an offer they get a 2nd. Now itll cost twice as much to keep him, but the fifth isnt worth losing him. .

Wouldnt it be worse for the salary cap to give MG another $mil a year for no reason? Would you pay over asking price for a house that you were the only bidder on to make sure nobody else comes along and makes an offer? I wouldnt.

It's really not surprising to see #BADOL all over this thread. After all, he thinks every RB on the roster is just as good as Shady anyway.

(here, I'll add a couple of :lol: :lol: and :doh: :doh: so you know it's not serious to me!)

Hogan didn't come with a draft pick in return. That hurt more than this would. We have three RBs on the roster and can easily find another. I am good with them grabbing the pick and building for the future.

Because it feeds the people who say the Bills always make bad decisions.

You need to pay closer attention to who is criticizing this move if that's what you think.

Two players we pulled from the scrap heap. They can be replaced.

They can be replaced, but will they be? Hogan sure hasn't been...yet.

Wouldnt it be worse for the salary cap to give MG another $mil a year for no reason? Would you pay over asking price for a house that you were the only bidder on to make sure nobody else comes along and makes an offer? I wouldnt.

This is exactly right IMO.

I mean, we've seen the value of good depth players...

I'd prefer we match, but our OL can open up holes for any 5th round draftee. I still think Gillislee is better than an average backup and we should strongly consider matching. But if they have a good plan in the draft for a backup lets roll with it. I just don't want to see Shady go down for any amount of time and have to rely on JWill or some lousy late round pick.

Edited by Big C

I wonder if it was another team besides the Pats how fans would be reacting? Probably less crazy, but still somewhat because this seems like an easy way to bash Whaley.

Whaley turned a FA pickup into a 5th round pick that is very deep at a bunch of positions the Bills need. That seems like a decent trade IMO.

It's not like MG was the starter. He was a nice player for the Bills, but mostly a burner backup RB. He had a bunch of nice carries, but he isn't anything special. Whaley's a gambler, we'll see how this one plays out.

O-line's can make avg RB's look good. I think matching Groy was the right move and it seems like they aren't going to match MG. I prefer this outcome than the other way around.

Edited by elroy16

And freeing up $1.79 in cap space this year.

Gilly was a very good back up, no doubt. But this is a stacked draft for RBs, we grabbed Jonathan Williams last year and there are still plenty of RB's available in FA. Take the 5th rounder, The Pats are just F***ing with us. They really want to have a 4 RB rotation (Burkhead, Lewis, White, Gilly, let them have it. I'm not gonna cry about it.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

You need to pay closer attention to who is criticizing this move if that's what you think.

They can be replaced, but will they be? Hogan sure hasn't been...yet.

FYI even when playing with the GOAT his numbers are comparable to the ones he had in Buffalo, with a lot more games started NE.

Edited by Captain Murica

I doubt NE signs Mike if it is a 2nd round tender, a fact lost on so many around here

Exactly...A fact also lost on Whaley as well...

Anyone who thinks TD Mike was not worth that 2nd Round tender money needs to find another sport to follow because football is not their thing... B-)

This contract is also including $4 million guaranteed. He's not coming back to Buffalo. No way you give a back-up $6 mill

theyve reportedly been in extension talks with him for months and he was to sign within the coming weeks .... I am sure they have offered around the same. They could certainly match it if they wanted and let the Pats do the negotiation for them, but might prefer the pick and cap space.

I'd like to keep him but won't lose sleep over him.

He averaged 6.7 attempts per game. That's not something that can't be replaced. I really like Jonathan Williams...I think he's going to be a very solid back up.

I liked JWill going into last season but he's looked lousy in his opportunities so far.

So is it a 5th in this draft or next year's draft?

It's this year........but the Pats fifth is the 177th pick I think........what would normally be a mid 6th round pick......because of a record amount of assigned comp picks in rounds 3 and 4 and the fact that the Pats pick LAST in the fifth round.

How many are backing up a gold standard RB with a $9m cap hit?

The comments are irrespective of each other.

$3M AAV is standard for a backup RB, which runs contrary to what the other poster said.

Whether or not you pay $12M in cap space to your top 2 backs is another question altogether.

FYI even when playing with the GOAT his numbers are comparable to the ones he had in Buffalo, with a lot more games started NE.

Year Team GP GS Receiving Fumbles Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Fum Lost 2013 BUF 16 0 10 83 8.3 16 0 0 0 2014 BUF 16 2 41 426 10.4 31 4 2 2 2015 BUF 16 4 36 450 12.5 46 2 0 0 2016 NE 15 14 38 680 17.9 79 4 1 1 Total 63 20 125 1,639 13.1 79 10 3 3

But where is the replacement?

I like MG just like everyone else but he also ran behind a good run blocking Oline and was always fresh because Shady ran so much. I would be curious to see how MG does playing more behind a worse run blocking Oline. Blount had a similar 40 time as MG but Blount is 30 pounds heavier.