Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing it sooner or later doesn't matter. The Bills have the cap space to keep him (about $2MM this year.)

You ever been at an auction and thought you had something after outbidding that one guy back and forth for a few minutes..........then it's going once, twice.......and some other bidder confidently puts a bid in?

That always pisses off a fool and makes them re-think how much they want that item.

That's the strategy here.

Pats didn't want to overpay for MG so they waited for best time to make the decision emotional.

If the Bills match, so be it. But they wanted MG and didn't want to overpay to get him and this close to the draft......this will have the Bills thinking a lot harder than they would have a month ago.

You ever been at an auction and thought you had something after outbidding that one guy back and forth for a few minutes..........then it's going once, twice.......and some other bidder confidently puts a bid in?

That always pisses off a fool and makes them re-think how much they want that item.

That's the strategy here.

Pats didn't want to overpay for MG so they waited for best time to make the decision emotional.

If the Bills match, so be it. But they wanted MG and didn't want to overpay to get him and this close to the draft......this will have the Bills thinking a lot harder than they would have a month ago.

What the f### are you talking about?? The scenario you describe is a given. Do you think they though no one would sign Gillislee?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

wants playoffs, chance at a ring, instant stardom in key games like the ex-Bill last year in the playoffs....

Right now, he wants more money and stability at this point. I am not saying he doesn't want those other things, but right now they are lower on the priority list

If they've signed MG to an offer sheet then you can bet they wouldn't care what happens with Blount if it means the Bills wouldn't be matching.

I'd love it if Whaley waits until the last possible day to match the offer and in the interim Blount signs somewhere like Tampa or Green Bay for less money than the Patriots offered him..

I'd love it if Whaley waits until the last possible day to match the offer and in the interim Blount signs somewhere like Tampa or Green Bay for less money than the Patriots offered him..

Belichick will just go out in a pickup truck on a Tuesday and find some itinerant laborers standing around waiting for work, then train them to beat the Bills on Sunday.

Good for Gillislee. With the average employment span of an NFL running back under 4 years in the league, I'm glad to see him cash in. Now let's see if the Bills think he's worth paying.

What the f### are you talking about?? The scenario you describe is a given. Do you think they though no one would sign Gillislee?

This late in the game? Hell yeah I do.

Like I said then.......that's how you work a fool.

If you want it that bad come out with a higher than expected bid very early...........but if you want to get it at the lowest price......let them start to assign their "optimistic value" as the "actual value" and then take it from them.

You'd think Whaley would've learned his lesson with Hogan, but Whaley seems to be a thick-headed amateur with a professional death wish.

I dont see what is so thick headed about this. I am sure the Bills offered MG a multi year deal and he wanted to see what he was worth on the market. If you tender him at a 2nd round you are locked into paying him 2.8 mil a season because nobody is going to give up a 2nd for him. If you tender him at originial round then you pay him 1.8 mil a season unless someone signs him to an offer sheet. Then you either match it or say good luck.

Yeah that seemed very reasonable.

Either way.....can they really let a 3rd very effective player go to the Pats? :lol:

I think he'd have taken it...but then again, it was my idea, so that's obvious

Not sure, but if I were brought on as GM today I would probably match it. For a team that's going to rely on the run as much as they are, they need a proven 2nd option.

Joel Cory of CBS just said on the Murphy Show there is a real problem with the Bills here as this generally does not happen to other teams. They could of put 2nd round tender for about $1M more.

He wasn't worth close to 3 million which is what it would have cost for a 2nd round tender. Why give him something he isn't worth?

Joel Cory of CBS just said on the Murphy Show there is a real problem with the Bills here as this generally does not happen to other teams. They could of put 2nd round tender for about $1M more.

I don't see what the big deal is. Hogan was not going to take the Bills anywhere last season, Gillislee is not taking the Bills anywhere this season... These are not players we need to worry about IMO.

He wasn't worth close to 3 million which is what it would have cost for a 2nd round tender. Why give him something he isn't worth?

He isn't?

That's backup RB money right there.

Theo Riddick, Bilal Powell, Rex Burkhead, Danny Woodhead--all of them are getting more than the 2nd round tender.

McCoy is 29 (in July) and has had hamstring issues the last couple years. The Bills need a backup who can come in and start if/when he goes down. Small sample size, but I don't see J. Williams as that guy.