Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then revert to Hogan's 2015 numbers when he was a Bill, basically, the same numbers as Goodwin in the same RUN HEAVY offensive scheme and had 2 fewer catches than he did last year with 200 yards less. Wonder what Goodwin's numbers would look like with Tom Brady throwing him the rock? Probably boost up that YPC average some.

2015 BUF GP 16 GS 4 REC 36 YDS 450 YPC 12.5 LNG 46 TD 2

FYI those are Hogan's numbers in the Bills offense.

Again, the point is that they did nothing proactive to replace a contributing player. Hoping for Goodwin to do the job post-Olympics was gutsy at best, and dumb at worst.

They can ill-afford to do so again with Gillislee (assuming he's let go).

"The Bills would be on the hook for $4 million this year for a backup running back, who by the end of the contract he just signed will be 28 years old. If they decline, they get a fifth-round pick, an extra $1 million in cap space, and they can use the pick on a 21-to-23-year-old running back with a longer shelf life, longer contract, and for less money."

Seems like a no-brained to me.

Also, the Pats have two 5th round picks...which one do we get?

Not to mention Shady will break down eventually and Gilly is not the prototype workhorse we'd need to depend on. It's a good move on whaleys part and getting a 5th for a guy we grabbed off the scrap pile makes it even better.

Folks are acting like it was a binary choice: 5th round tender or 2nd round tender. It wasn't. They also could've signed him to a cap-friendly extension that would've avoided this entire problem.

Doug Whaley is decent enough at scouting and drafting players (although he has a horrible blind spot when it comes to scouting QBs). He has NO IDEA how to build a roster, plan for the future, or work seamlessly with a coach. Nor can he interface with the media or the Bills' community (ex players, etc). He is a horrible, awful general manager.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

"The Bills would be on the hook for $4 million this year for a backup running back, who by the end of the contract he just signed will be 28 years old. If they decline, they get a fifth-round pick, an extra $1 million in cap space, and they can use the pick on a 21-to-23-year-old running back with a longer shelf life, longer contract, and for less money."

Seems like a no-brained to me.

Also, the Pats have two 5th round picks...which one do we get?

You mean like the rookie RB we drafted last year who had such a MAJOR impact...cough cough <Jonathan Williams> cough cough

Edited by LabattBlue

Pats are playing Doug Whaley. They are expert off season chess masters. Whaley not managing roster/cap well and is being played.

Pats get a win/win here.

I say let Gillislee go to Pats and get 5th rounder from them ... the only winning solution for Bills in this scenario. $4 mill too much even though I love Gilleslee.

What if McCoy goes down? We lost a very good backup, on a roster that has bad depth overall.

They have Williams and Tolbert. Calm down. This is exactly what restricted FA is meant for. They know the price point , now they can work out a deal if they want or take the draft pick. I hope they do a long term deal, but this is not some massive failure on Whaley's part.

Pats are playing Doug Whaley. They are expert off season chess masters. Whaley not managing roster/cap well and is being played.

Pats get a win/win here.

I say let Gillislee go to Pats and get 5th rounder from them ... the only winning solution for Bills in this scenario. $4 mill too much even though I love Gilleslee.

its 4 mill for ONE season....the contract is front loaded

Considering what the Cheaters gave Burkhead (1 year deal for $3.15M after a 75 carry, 344 yard and 2 TD season), this is a good deal. I'd match it. Seems like the going rate for a backup RB now, although MG is a better backup than the others guys who got similar money.

As for the 2nd round tender, it would have retained him for 1 year. Then he's an UFA next year. This way they can have him for 2.