Source: Bills Still Deciding on Watkins' 5th Year Option

5th Year Option on Sammy  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

@adamschefter

Cowboys officially have picked up 5th-year option for star guard Zack Martin, per @FieldYates.

Was just looking at a "fifth year option ticker" for the 2014 draft class. It really was a very strong first round draft class--except for Cleveland.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally just because you dumped precious commodities into an asset is no reason to keep a player. The players production/abilities to produce measured in worth towards the organization is the sole reason a player should be retained. Not because you dumped 3 picks on him on draft day.

Absolutely correct and I doubt anyone would say otherwise. But this logical reasoning doesn't take into account that the GM, ownership, and teams reputation is on the line (at least in their minds). Dumping a player you spent 3 picks on, 2 of them firsts, does not look good on a GMs resume for example. Politics, like it or not, factors in.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The trouble with this approach is if he has an " elite " season as you put it. Then he is a FA and his price goes way up. If you tag him, you risk losing the player because they hate being tagged. You can be assured he will have no inclination to re-sign here for the show of no confidence they gave by not picking up his option. Decisions like these are what GMs get paid big $$ for. It's just not so easy as saying you don't pick the option up. If you don't pick it up, then plan on the player departing.

After he has the "elite" season we are all hoping he has (none of us want to see him fail) and the Bills float that boatload of cash in front of his eyes, he will happily sign the contract offered (assuming it is for fair market value which I am sure it will be - Pegs is no cheapskate after all)

Edited by DefenseWins

I get it. Like I said I want Sammy here. But, to put it into a sentence; Julio is bigger, faster, has a bigger catch radius, and had more catches for more yards and more TDs in fewer games than Sammy.

Right, again im not saying Sammy is better. Not close. But statistically the first three years are very close. What would sammy be doing with matt ryan . Sammy had EJ manual his first year. My point is Sammy is not the "bust" that a lot of people think he is, and you cannot even consider letting him walk.

yeah...some people are acting like watkins is a total failure of a pick. to me he certainly wasn't worth the trade up, but he's still a fantastic wr, and if any fan wants to take the next step, he's probably going to be a very necessary part of it. i just don't like this attitude that if watkins hasn't lived up to what you think he should, there's no place for him on this team. it's just too early for that.

Sammy is best player on IR. Not worth the money.

So you're just completely ignoring the first 3 years of comparable stats? So when sammy goes to a team w a better qb and blows up then what?

If he isnt worth the money than the only player on the Bills worth the money is McCoy, by your logic, and hes missed 5 games since being a bill.

So you're just completely ignoring the first 3 years of comparable stats? So when sammy goes to a team w a better qb and blows up then what?

Blows up is a really poor term. Here is why:

Could mean - he self destructs (blows up)

Could mean - he becomes explosive and plays well (blows up)

So you are suggesting he would blow up and become a total bust on another team?

See what I mean? Say what you mean. Don't make people guess.

I get it. Like I said I want Sammy here. But, to put it into a sentence; Julio is bigger, faster, has a bigger catch radius, and had more catches for more yards and more TDs in fewer games than Sammy.

Jones also has a a QB that was the MVP last year and is a top 10 Qb, unlike the average at best QBs that Watkins had throwing to him since being in Buffalo.

Sammy's 5th year option will be picked up shortly after the vet camp.

Perhaps.

But it's really not necessary.

Difference between the option and franchising him is just a few million bucks against a massive amount of available cap space next year..............and that buys them a whole year to either extend Sammy long term while he is a year younger........or maybe just to decide if Sammy is going to heal or turn into a Bill Walton-like foot injury career disaster.

You keep sammy, no questions asked. He's 23 years old with ten years of good healthy football left in him. We'd be crazy to let him go. I just don't get the hate towards the kid.

Amen! But, where do you draw the line on the cost? That's tricky and depends on the next year or two.

Perhaps.

Difference between the option and franchising him is just a few million bucks against a massive amount of available cap space next year..............and that buys them a whole year to either extend Sammy long term while he is a year younger........or maybe just to decide if Sammy is going to heal or turn into a Bill Walton-like foot injury career disaster.

But picking up the option allows them to use the franchise tag on someone else next year...

Amen! But, where do you draw the line on the cost? That's tricky and depends on the next year or two.

Agreed. When he's healthy hes one of the best and should be paid like it. Maybe incentivize his contract? Plays 10 or more games and a bonus kicks in something like that

Perhaps.

I am entirely with you on this one.

But picking up the option allows them to use the franchise tag on someone else next year...

That makes sense in theory, until you look at the list of 2018 Bills' UFAs:

• TJ Yates
  • Kyle Williams
  • Preston Brown
  • Brandon Tate
  • Corey Brown
  • Joe Banyard
  • Seantrel Henderson
  • Cyrus Kouandjio
  • Patrick Lewis
  • Michael Ola
  • Jerel Worthy
  • Ramon Humber
  • Colt Anderson
  • Leonard Johnson
  • Marcus Cromartie

Which of these guys is most deserving of the franchise tag? I can't make up my mind.

If the Bills' plunk down ~$13mm for Sammy's 2018 option & he performs up to that standard in 2017, would he play out 2018 without a new contract? I say not; it's a near certainty that the Bills would give him a new deal at that time. If the Bills don't pick up his option & he proves worthy of it, the Bills would find themselves in the same position of being able to work out a new deal with him. They just wouldn't be on the hook for $13mm if it doesn't work out.

Agreed. When he's healthy hes one of the best and should be paid like it. Maybe incentivize his contract? Plays 10 or more games and a bonus kicks in something like that

He is definitely a player whose contract should be incentive based.

However some games last year he was basically just a decoy and unable to perform at elite level so what do you base it on - plays, number of catches or what?

No Sammy at voluntary OTAS today per Rodak (not spotted, anyway)

means little to nothing though. if anything, sammy probably would be cool without having it picked up and getting to UFA status sooner.

Edited by NoSaint

The upside of not having drafted effectively is that there is nobody else to use it on next year.

Their "Big" free agents are Preston Brown, Kujo and Seantrel.

And the next year.......Darby and Miller?

See what I mean?

This is the thing that makes the free agents that they are letting go THIS year look like a sketchy decision.......they are basically a veteran team built to win now......with a lot of young role players who are either not that good or not due for free agency for quite some time.

They project to have GOBs of cash........and holes to fill......in the next few years.

Not a big fan of overpaying other teams free agents to fill so many of those holes because if they are coming to Buffalo as is........they are resigned to losing. Just not a good position to be free agent shopping from.

I am entirely with you on this one.

The main downside is that if they have to use the franchise tag again it gets considerably more expensive.

IMO, they must be either very concerned about that foot injury being chronic.........or just being kinda' Billsy.

I can, however, see them not being able to reach a deal with him before the second franchise tag would have to be slapped on and talking themselves into letting him go even if he just put up two 1200-1300 yard receiving years.

11 games he's missed in 2 seasons, I'm not signing that option, I'll take the consequences down the road. If they do pick up the option I wouldn't be upset at all, it's hard to just blindly say "pickup the option" without finding out everything about this injury. Good player when healthy, he's never been healthy unfortunately.

11 games he's missed in 2 seasons, I'm not signing that option, I'll take the consequences down the road. If they do pick up the option I wouldn't be upset at all, it's hard to just blindly say "pickup the option" without finding out everything about this injury. Good player when healthy, he's never been healthy unfortunately.

11 games in 3 seasons*

You forgot the season where he played 16 games.