347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a big fan of overpaying other teams free agents to fill so many of those holes because if they are coming to Buffalo as is........they are resigned to losing. Just not a good position to be free agent shopping from.

Badol, does the above quote suggest that trading down multiple times is the thing to do?

Yes, building a team also involves free agency and trades but imo, the best method will always be to draft the right players.

Trade value not that good. Might as well play him and see what happens. I don't think they will pick up his option either.

Draft someone, play Sammy, and hope it pans out...the Buffalo way!

I think a team 25-32 looking for a WR would offer their 1st round. Hes only 23, they'd pick up the 5th year option. I feel teams around the league know Sammys value. Unfortunately hes in Buffalo with a team being ran by idiots.

I think a team 25-32 looking for a WR would offer their 1st round. Hes only 23, they'd pick up the 5th year option. I feel teams around the league know Sammys value. Unfortunately hes in Buffalo with a team being ran by idiots.

So you are saying that other teams recognize his talent but a team that traded an additional 1st round pick to get him doesn't recognize his talent? Got it

So you are saying that other teams recognize his talent but a team that traded an additional 1st round pick to get him doesn't recognize his talent? Got it

That's exactly what I am saying. You don't let players like Watkins leave. If they do, they are showing that they don't value his skills.

I hope you're right.

They aren't stupid. They wish he were healthier but the same things were said about Julio through 3 years. Sammy has played 3 more games in his 1st 3 years than Julio did in his 1st 3. The Bills will extend the option and hope that he gets healthy. If he does, the long-term deal will be offered.

Which team is going in that range is hurting at WR and is going to give up a first round pick for a WR that is coming off another surgery because he cant stay healthy?

They aren't stupid. They wish he were healthier but the same things were said about Julio through 3 years. Sammy has played 3 more games in his 1st 3 years than Julio did in his 1st 3. The Bills will extend the option and hope that he gets healthy. If he does, the long-term deal will be offered.

To me this is not even a debate....they will of course pick up his option

Which team is going in that range is hurting at WR and is going to give up a first round pick for a WR that is coming off another surgery because he cant stay healthy?

Oh I think a lot of those teams would make that move. The Pats gave 32 for Cooks. He's a nice player but Watkins talent dwarfs his. A bunch of them would take the chance.

Thank you, someone else that gets it!

Not picking up the option doesn't mean they plan on letting him walk. Trading him right now would be foolish.

No it's not a definite but not picking it up hints at that. I agree its foolish, more of my point was if they're determined to not resign him, they mine as well trade him this week.

That's really all we can do. Try to draft Williams or Davis. Pray Sammy can bounce back and produce. If he continues to have injury issues then he'll be done. We could even target Zay Jones in the 2nd round. Any way you slice it we're going to draft a wr in the 1st or 2nd. This will be a final season for Whaley & Watkins to prove us wrong.

That's really all we can do. Try to draft Williams or Davis. Pray Sammy can bounce back and produce. If he continues to have injury issues then he'll be done. We could even target Zay Jones in the 2nd round. Any way you slice it we're going to draft a wr in the 1st or 2nd. This will be a final season for Whaley & Watkins to prove us wrong.

Actually, Watkins will be here this year and next once they pick up the option.

​I do agree though that they are going to take a WR early. It sure sounds like Corey Davis will end up being the pick.

​I do agree though that they are going to take a WR early. It sure sounds like Corey Davis will end up being the pick.

Wouldn't mind Davis.

....never knew those 2 things you walk on were this complex......kid was just unlucky I guess....anybody think that Goodwin would be healthier than Sammy in 2016?....go figure............

The foot and ankle contain: 26 bones (One-quarter of the bones in the human body are in the feet.); 33 joints; more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments (Tendons are fibrous tissues that connect muscles to bones and ligaments are fibrous tissues that connect bones to other bones.);

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Oh I think a lot of those teams would make that move. The Pats gave 32 for Cooks. He's a nice player but Watkins talent dwarfs his. A bunch of them would take the chance.

Having watched every snap of each, Watkins is head and shoulders better. And I like cooks a lot.

Amazing that a thread about picking up the option on a player as highly regarded as SW was in that draft, and that the team invested so much in ( a team that has flat out sucked passing the ball in a passing league) has generated about a quarter as many pages of a thread about matching an offer sheet to a backup RB.

Edited by Boatdrinks

Amazing that a thread about picking up the option on a player as highly regarded as SW was in that draft, and that the team invested so much in ( a team that has flat out sucked passing the ball in a passing league) has generated about a quarter as many pages of a thread about matching an offer sheet to a backup RB.

...sad but true, isn't it??.....go figure.......

One thread a tender was extended, another offer signed, and there's a window to match and hypotheticals each way to debate -- lots of meat

In this thread literally nothing happened and it's still this long. This is "decision not announced yet on decision not yet required" and it still ran up despite 9 out of 10 agreeing on the course of action

Edited by NoSaint

One thread a tender was extended, another offer signed, and there's a window to match and hypotheticals each way to debate -- lots of meat

In this thread literally nothing happened and it's still this long. This is "decision not announced yet on decision not yet required" and it still ran up despite 9 out of 10 agreeing on the course of action

There is a window to pick up the option , and that window was less than thirty days away when the thread was started. Plenty of hypotheticals and implications depending on how it plays out. It's a positive that 9 out of ten fans agree on what the team should do. The number of pages on the other thread, and the reality that many will insist the Bills lost regardless of the outcome shows that some just love to B word.

There is a window to pick up the option , and that window was less than thirty days away when the thread was started. Plenty of hypotheticals and implications depending on how it plays out. It's a positive that 9 out of ten fans agree on what the team should do. The number of pages on the other thread, and the reality that many will insist the Bills lost regardless of the outcome shows that some just love to B word.

You are aware that the Bills:

HAVE SAMMY UNDER CONTRACT for this year

and

CAN USE THE FRANCHISE TAG to keep him going forward.

So this thread is likely just about bookkeeping.......committ to Sammy in 2018 NOW........or let it play out and pay a little bit more later if he's healthy.

The consequences of not picking up Sammy's option don't reach critical mass for 1-3 years.....IF EVER.

The MG thing, though a less important player, will be resolved TOMORROW and the consequences are about THIS season and next.

But hey......let's just bypass 2017 and start having MORE discussion about 2019......a season they have maybe 10 players under contract for at this point. :rolleyes:

You are aware that the Bills:

HAVE SAMMY UNDER CONTRACT for this year

and

CAN USE THE FRANCHISE TAG to keep him going forward.

So this thread is likely just about bookkeeping.......committ to Sammy in 2018 NOW........or let it play out and pay a little bit more later if he's healthy.

The consequences of not picking up Sammy's option don't reach critical mass for 1-3 years.....IF EVER.

The MG thing, though a less important player, will be resolved TOMORROW and the consequences are about THIS season and next.

But hey......let's just bypass 2017 and start having MORE discussion about 2019......a season they have maybe 10 players under contract for at this point. :rolleyes:

.....the option costs you roughly $13 mil....2017 WR tag is $15 mil which would increase in 2018...so the crap shoot is $3 mil, roughly (increasing 2018 WR tag by $1 mil)................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy