347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do NOT pick up his option I really am done with this team. No reason to give yourself a tight deadline with the WR that makes our inept QB look good.

OBD forever getting in their own way.

And BOOM! There's your narrative if the Bills make the playoffs. But it creates a conundrum. Was Whaley wrong for keeping Tyrod or extending Watkins? Edited by PromoTheRobot

Many, including me, bust Sam's balls for being a China Doll. The fact really is that he hasn't missed that many games. I think he's a punk who hasn't come close to realizing his full potential. But I also think he could be a top 3 receiver in the league if he stayed healthy AND if we ever got a QB who could take advantage of Sam's talent. I voted, "no brainer."

And BOOM! There's your narrative if the Bills make the playoffs. But it creates a conundrum. Was Whaley wrong for keeping Tyrod or extending Watkins?

Extending is not what we are talking about. We are talking about picking up a 5th year option on a team that has just ONE WR.

Yes if they do not pick up his option they are a freaking joke. And time for me to stop watching.

I already stopped spending money on this organization 5 years ago.

And can call the fact i said inept QB as a Narrative. However all his supporters often site look what he does when SAMMY is on the field. So who makes who look better again?

Edited by MAJBobby

FWIW, I just looked at Sammy's per target production at 10 targets a game (Julio has averaged 11 the last 3 years and AB 11.2) so 10 seems reasonable. At 10 targets a game based on Watkins career so far he would be at 105 catches, 1,689 yards and 12 TDs.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

From Sal Capaccio, who wrote the Watkins article. He must be reading this thread:

(from Facebook) "Here is the story I wrote on the Bills deciding on Samy's 5th year option. Unfortunately, too many people simply read a headline and jumped to conclusions that aren't true. I'll summarize, but please still read it. Summary: the team just wants to make sure he's on schedule with no setbacks medically before doing it (they have until May 2) because it's guaranteed against injury. Otherwise, I am confident they'll do it. But again, please read. It's all in there, including the reasons and all their options."

Ugh - so we have to *read* to comprehend things? Man I hate Whaley...

Who cares what the media thinks. And if he signs Waktins and he's not productive, you think other team owners wouldn't notice the draft pick didn't work out, regardless of signing him or not. Your logic makes no sense in the NFL world, only in the bloggers world.

Who cares what the media thinks? Most GMs in the NFL since their job security often hinges it.

The assumption I'm operating under is that Watkins is a star player. When healthy, he absolutely has proven to be a star player. If you disagree with that, then that's where we are failing to see eye to eye (which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion on Sammy).

But since I think he's a star player, and I'm convinced the rest of the league realizes it from the people I talk to in that line of work, then if Whaley is unable to sign him to a second contract it will be seen as a massive failure in the eyes of the media, the league, and any future employers. That's not blogger logic (I don't even know what that is), that's just how the NFL works. It's a small industry.

I think we simply disagree on the assessment of Watkin's abilities and how they're viewed by 31 other NFL teams. He'd be the clear cut #1 WR on pretty much every other NFL team but maybe 4 (Atlanta, Cinci, Pittsburgh, NYG). And any GM who trades away as much as Whaley did to get a star player, then is unable to retain him to a second contract, will have a hard time explaining that on his next job interview.

:beer:

FWIW, I just looked at Sammy's per target production if he got 10 targets a game (Julio has averaged 11 the last 3 years and AB 11.2) so 10 seems reasonable. At 10 targets a game based on Watkins career so far he would be at 105 catches, 1,689 yards and 12 TDs.

.....thanks bro.....his injuries have been unfortunate....and how the hell do you forecast whether the 1st surgery takes care of the problem?....not like he had it done in Mexico.........and TT has hardly been the model of consistency in processing the field and finding open guys anyway.....IF you want 2017 to amount to ANYTHING, you need a healthy Sammy and TT with his WR/TE GPS working....stay tuned...........

If they do NOT pick up his option I really am done with this team. No reason to give yourself a tight deadline with the WR that makes our inept QB look good.

OBD forever getting in their own way.

And yet you are admitting that the rest of the WR corp is not good. So that makes Taylor inept. SMH.

I dont extend him. Play this year out and see if he can stay healthy. If so franchise and workout a deal

If he cant, franchise and see if someone wants to trade for his off injured butt.

Or pick up the option and not worry about the Franchise Tag

Some players are not " tough" . Always having nagging injuries and letting people know they do. Sammy appears to be this type.

Wonder if people say the Same about Julio Jones, Dez Byrant, Edleman? Maybe Gronk even

Try to sign him long term with a modest guarantee , if not 5th year option for sure.

I think it is wiser to do the former.

Kid played through those ribs and IMO that must have taken some serious nut. The Foot is a fluke, and i think someone f'd the first surgery up or he did not rehab it properly. Kid aint no pansy.

I think that is the better goal while working in some injury clauses somehow.

....no agent would EVER go for it...injuries are part of the game....think Stingley ever worried about the paralyzing Tatum hit?....think Nick Buoniconti's kid ever worried about the collegiate hit that paralyzed him for life at the collegiate level pursuing his dream to follow in Dad's NFL footsteps.....in this violent sport, Workers Compensation insurance that covers us working folk does not exist....

we pick it up if we dont draft a wr in the first this year...thats why we have til may2 - after the draft. Also we could not pick it up and halfway through this season extend him, if he stays on the field and learns to actually catch passes thrown over the middle and in traffic.

Kid aint no pansy.

except that he totally is..and hes 23 not 12, supposedly a man.

Ugh - so we have to *read* to comprehend things? Man I hate Whaley...

and i have always enjoyed jumping to conclusions.

Whales really must go.

....no agent would EVER go for it...injuries are part of the game....think Stingley ever worried about the paralyzing Tatum hit?....think Nick Buoniconti's kid ever worried about the collegiate hit that paralyzed him for life at the collegiate level pursuing his dream to follow in Dad's NFL footsteps.....in this violent sport, Workers Compensation insurance that covers us working folk does not exist....

you sign the extension and Watkins gets full pay even if he does not see the field in 2018. Thats why i do not feel the extension is the answer

we pick it up if we dont draft a wr in the first this year...thats why we have til may2 - after the draft. Also we could not pick it up and halfway through this season extend him, if he stays on the field and learns to actually catch passes thrown over the middle and in traffic.

except that he totally is..and hes 23 not 12, supposedly a man.

anyone younger than me is a Kid

23 skidoo and all that.

I disagree about his pansied ness. Seems to me he has tried to get on the field

To me its a no brainer. SW is a great player who will stay healthy and perform admirably for the next two years. The reason I think this? Money. He needs to show the league that he can see the field consistently in order to sign a mega contract when his rookie deal is up, whether with the Bills or another team. I dont think anybody doubts his ability/skill set.

I guess I'm saying I really dont think he is made of glass. Has had some bad luck and perhaps been a little careless.

and i have always enjoyed jumping to conclusions.

Whales really must go.

you sign the extension and Watkins gets full pay even if he does not see the field in 2018. Thats why i do not feel the extension is the answer

anyone younger than me is a Kid

23 skidoo and all that.

I disagree about his pansied ness. Seems to me he has tried to get on the field

...it is hardly an exact science no matter what......any of the FA signings come with a warranty?.....what happens with a career ending injury in OTA's?.....hypothetically draft a Williams or Davis at #10 and your pick blows out his knee ala ACL/MCL/meniscus in minis?....this game comes with "no warranties expressed or implied".......

Who cares what the media thinks? Most GMs in the NFL since their job security often hinges it.

The assumption I'm operating under is that Watkins is a star player. When healthy, he absolutely has proven to be a star player. If you disagree with that, then that's where we are failing to see eye to eye (which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion on Sammy).

But since I think he's a star player, and I'm convinced the rest of the league realizes it from the people I talk to in that line of work, then if Whaley is unable to sign him to a second contract it will be seen as a massive failure in the eyes of the media, the league, and any future employers. That's not blogger logic (I don't even know what that is), that's just how the NFL works. It's a small industry.

I think we simply disagree on the assessment of Watkin's abilities and how they're viewed by 31 other NFL teams. He'd be the clear cut #1 WR on pretty much every other NFL team but maybe 4 (Atlanta, Cinci, Pittsburgh, NYG). And any GM who trades away as much as Whaley did to get a star player, then is unable to retain him to a second contract, will have a hard time explaining that on his next job interview.

Only badly run teams worry about what the media or fans think.

...it is hardly an exact science no matter what......any of the FA signings come with a warranty?.....what happens with a career ending injury in OTA's?.....hypothetically draft a Williams or Davis at #10 and your pick blows out his knee ala ACL/MCL/meniscus in minis?....this game comes with "no warranties expressed or implied".......

contracts for rookies are pretty straightforward per Union Contract, When a player is working on his second one, it becomes a bit wide open. Such as incentive based and finagling for guaranteed moneys.

Edited by 3rdand12

Only badly run teams worry about what the media or fans think.

To a point yes, but I'm not talking about a team. I'm talking about a GM coming from a losing team and looking for work. In terms of getting his next gig, how the media portrays his tenure does play a factor whether people want to admit it or not. An owner trying to generate buzz within his fan base by hiring a new GM might think twice about hiring a guy who traded up to take Sammy and then couldn't retain him - especially if that failure was dragged through the press for weeks in an off season, which this hypothetical move most certainly would.

If Whaley stays long enough to negotiate Sammy's next deal (which I personally hope he does btw), and fails to get it done, he'll wear that failure like a scarlet letter for as long as he's in Buffalo and it'll be the headline note on his resume whenever he goes up for his next gig.

He of course could buck convention and cut his loses with Sammy if he so chooses, it just would be a surprising move and he would get murdered in the media for letting it happen.

Some Bills fans aren't convinced Mcdermott is a head coach yet. Aside from selling a pool table,

and a "legends" dinner. WTF Has the newest coach done in the league as a HC? nothing.

He is simply getting the same fan ball washing every single HC got before him.

Everyone wants him to succeed. It is pushing 18 years now. But there is not an offense in the NFL

that wouldn't want a healthy Sammy Watkins and have a spot for him.

Like everyone I want the new coaching staff to kick arse and believe they will at some level.

This coach has proven nothing in regards to being able to make a 5th year option decision

on a player that whaley paid a very big price for. jmo

Sammy is great. He's probably been the first guy picked in gym class his whole life. Just speculating you can do better with 13.5 million.

To a point yes, but I'm not talking about a team. I'm talking about a GM coming from a losing team and looking for work. In terms of getting his next gig, how the media portrays his tenure does play a factor whether people want to admit it or not. An owner trying to generate buzz within his fan base by hiring a new GM might think twice about hiring a guy who traded up to take Sammy and then couldn't retain him - especially if that failure was dragged through the press for weeks in an off season, which this hypothetical move most certainly would.

If Whaley stays long enough to negotiate Sammy's next deal (which I personally hope he does btw), and fails to get it done, he'll wear that failure like a scarlet letter for as long as he's in Buffalo and it'll be the headline note on his resume whenever he goes up for his next gig.

He of course could buck convention and cut his loses with Sammy if he so chooses, it just would be a surprising move and he would get murdered in the media for letting it happen.

Things Whaley will say on his next interview for a job in this league:

1. "That was Marrone's fault, and I didn't hire him."

2. "That was Rex's fault, and I didn't hire him."

3. "That was McDermott's fault, and I didn't hire him."

4. "That was Nix's fault, I didn't draft him,"

5. "That was Overdorf's fault, I didn't extend him."

6. "That was Brandon's fault, clearly a marketing move."

7. "That was Pegula's fault, I was overruled."

8. "That was Ralph's fault, he was too cheap"

9. "Kevin Colbert is my reference, he can vouch for the quality of my work."

Edited by Rico

Not sure how you got (or I gave the impression) that I didn't like Sammy, I'm in the majority that sees signing him as a no brainer. I should just leave it at that and move on.

Many, including me, bust Sam's balls for being a China Doll. The fact really is that he hasn't missed that many games. I think he's a punk who hasn't come close to realizing his full potential. But I also think he could be a top 3 receiver in the league if he stayed healthy AND if we ever got a QB who could take advantage of Sam's talent. I voted, "no brainer."

is 'punk' a little bit better than being a 'thug'?

Amari Cooper, possibly Dez Bryant, possibly Hopkins.

Amari Cooper couldn't carry Watkins' equipment. I like Dez more than most but he's not explosive, he competes. Hopkins had a great year and a bad year (with 169 targets). If Watkins got 169 targets he'd be at like 1,750 yards. Edited by Kirby Jackson

To not pick up the option on Sammy would be stupid. I hope they make the right call in this instance. To ride out the 4th year and leave us with only the Franchise Tag option would be irresponsible. BUT..... this is the Bills we are talking about and NOTHING surprises me.

Amari Cooper couldn't carry Watkins equipment.

Look, I think picking up the fifth year option on Sammy is a no-brainer, but I really don't think this is a statement many people in the NFL would agree with; it's certainly not supported by the respective numbers they've put up. And DeAndre Hopkins has put up better numbers than Sammy has, with some truly abysmal QBs throwing him the ball.

Look, I think picking up the fifth year option on Sammy is a no-brainer, but I really don't think this is a statement many people in the NFL would agree with; it's certainly not supported by the respective numbers they've put up. And DeAndre Hopkins has put up better numbers than Sammy has, with some truly abysmal QBs throwing him the ball.

In Sammy's last season healthy he had the ball thrown to him 96 times in 13 games. He had 60 catches, 1,047 yards and 9 TDs (17.5 ypr). In that same year Amari Cooper had the ball thrown to him 130 times in 16 games. He had 72 catches, 1,070 yards and 6 TDs (14.9 ypr). He plays with Carr. He's a nice player but not in Watkins league. If Watkins saw the ball as often as Cooper there would be a big gap between them. There isn't one thing that Cooper does better than Watkins (except stay healthy).

Hopkins was thrown the ball 169 times last year alone. Sammy has 233 targets in his career. You will always put up bigger gross numbers with more chances. If a guy has 30 carries he should have more yards than a guy with 15.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

In Sammy's last season healthy he had the ball thrown to him 96 times in 13 games. He had 60 catches, 1,047 yards and 9 TDs (17.5 ypr). In that same year Amari Cooper had the ball thrown to him 130 times in 16 games. He had 72 catches, 1,070 yards and 6 TDs (14.9 ypr). He plays with Carr. He's a nice player but not in Watkins league. If Watkins saw the ball as often as Cooper there would be a big gap between them. There isn't one thing that Cooper does better than Watkins (except stay healthy).

It doesnt matter if Sammy averages 400 yds oer receptionif he cant stay healthy he hurts the team more than he helps it. Everytime hes out with an injury the offense completely changes. That isn't conducive to a consistent offense.