Source: Bills Still Deciding on Watkins' 5th Year Option

5th Year Option on Sammy  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

Before Dez's injury, he averaged 1,215 yards and 12 TDs per year. That's elite production.

Julio's injury came before he entered that category IMO.

Sammy wasn't elite after his first two years.

look at the offenses and QBs of the 3 teams, look at Sammy's production the last half of 2015 when Taylor started throwing to him

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Dez's injury, he averaged 1,215 yards and 12 TDs per year in his second through fifth seasons. That's elite production.

I would argue that after Julio's first 2 years, he wasn't elite, but he was certainly close. After he healed up, he cemented his place as one of the best in the game.

Sammy wasn't elite after his first two years, and isn't today.

I think the other key difference is that those guys just played more and stayed more healthy earlier in their careers. I think Dez only missed a few games in his first 5 years.

Sammy missed most of last season and the year before when he played 13, he was probably gimpy for a bunch of

Those games.

look at the offenses and QBs of the 3 teams, look at Sammy's production the last half of 2015 when Taylor started throwing to him

The 2nd half of 2015 is a small sample size. That was a great run, but getting hot for half a season does not equal elite.

Is it so much to ask that Sammy puts up a single 1200+ yard and 10+ TD season before we start throwing that title around? You know, what guys like DT, Dez, AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Julio, OBJ have done multiple times in their career to cement their reputation as elite players.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

I not convinced McDermotts offense needs a Sammy Watkins.

Some Bills fans aren't convinced Mcdermott is a head coach yet. Aside from selling a pool table,

and a "legends" dinner. WTF Has the newest coach done in the league as a HC? nothing.

He is simply getting the same fan ball washing every single HC got before him.

Everyone wants him to succeed. It is pushing 18 years now. But there is not an offense in the NFL

that wouldn't want a healthy Sammy Watkins and have a spot for him.

Like everyone I want the new coaching staff to kick arse and believe they will at some level.

This coach has proven nothing in regards to being able to make a 5th year option decision

on a player that whaley paid a very big price for. jmo

Cool, some production a year and a half ago.

That trade has not worked yet, still waiting for a real uptick in wining because we have Sammy.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

I think the other key difference is that those guys just played more and stayed more healthy earlier in their careers. I think Dez only missed a few games in his first 5 years.

Sammy missed most of last season and the year before when he played 13, he was probably gimpy for a bunch of

Those games.

Yes, availability is key. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy this year and put this stuff to rest.

The 2nd half of 2015 is a small sample size. That was a great run, but getting hot for half a season does not equal elite.

Is it so much to ask that Sammy puts up a single 1200+ yard and 10+ TD season before we start throwing that title around? You know, what guys like DT, Dez, AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Julio, OBJ have done multiple times in their career to cement their reputation as elite players.

He definitely needs to step it up - but im 100% picking up the option. We have the worst WR depth in the league and with him gone it would get even worse.

I don't understand how this could even be up for debate.

After what the Bills gave up to get him, of course they need to pick up the 5th year option. Even if that means they are "overpaying" him next year. That gives the Bills the opportunity to franchise him the following year if they can't work out a new contract. (Not sure why, I just have a feeling getting Sammy signed to a new deal isn't going to be easy)

You can't let a player you just gave up 2 1st rounders and a 4th rounder for walk in FA...

He was thought of as the top WR prospect in a multi year span. He has been dynamic when healthy (highest yards per target). He has the respect of coaches and personnel people all over the league. He is a no doubt number 1 that is young and played in a run first system. Teams will be falling over themselves to add a guy, that if targeted, is one of the best receivers in football. He is a nightmare for them. It is the type of investment that a contending team would jump at.

For us folks? That is all conjecture.

Whether true or not. These are just things you are saying.

you know I luv ya KJ :thumbsup:

I don't understand how this could even be up for debate.

After what the Bills gave up to get him, of course they need to pick up the 5th year option. Even if that means they are "overpaying" him next year. That gives the Bills the opportunity to franchise him the following year if they can't work out a new contract. (Not sure why, I just have a feeling getting Sammy signed to a new deal isn't going to be easy)

You can't let a player you just gave up 2 1st rounders and a 4th rounder for walk in FA...

Right. They married Sammy the day he was drafted. Although Watkins has been a frustrating story since being drafted,he has shown enough promise that you can't walk away from the investment.

The comparisons to Jones and Dez are a little bit far fetched but this "source" or "rumor" was created to stir the pot anyways. Zero chance they let him walk away. He is the best WR at OBD even he plays with a cast on his boo boo foot.

1) it's a no brainer to give him a 5th year option. I don't know why it's even a debate.

2) he definitely has the ability to be a top 5 receiver but injuries are a real concern. Hopefully, he stays healthy for a couple of years.

3) it's more evidence why it's completely stupid to spend another top 10 on wr. No matter how good a receiver is, they are dependent on the qb, oline, & coaches. Why spend another premium pick on a wr when our qb struggles to get the ball to our playmakers already?

Picking up those options does not force you to pay. If you decide you don't want to pay it you can cut the player and owe him nothing. I've heard Andrew Brandt discuss this many times, insinuating the teams that don't pick up options must really not like the player, because the option is not guaranteed and simply allows you another season to decide if you want to pay it.

If the Bills are truly contemplating not picking up the option, which I find very hard to believe, it would indicate McDermott has complete control of this roster, and that he's thoroughly unimpressed with the player.

Anyone that considers Sammy Watkins a Top 5-10 receiver in this league is a true homer. At some point, the guy has to prove he can stay on the field before being put in that category.

He played 13 games in 2015. He played only 8 games last year, contributing a whopping 430 yards and 2 touchdowns.

And he will likely miss training camp once again recovering from foot surgery.

With that said, the Bills only have a few weeks (May 2) to make the decision. And at this point, they have very little to lose by granting his option.

But if the trend continues, I certainly wouldn't be extending the guy after his contract is up.

Nonsense. He was a top 5 pick for a reason and is still very young. He has yet to reach his peak.

This is the ultimate no brainer. They can't possibly be this stupid.

As an aside, the Bills must be thinking WR no later than 44.

Unless there's a foot issue we aren't privy to I would be pretty upset (as upset as I get over football at least) about letting him walk after 4.

I'm curious as to the angle for releasing this statement? Is this supposed to be motivating?

Some source talking and releasing a statement are widely different even if bothcan be accurate

I'm curious as to the angle for releasing this statement? Is this supposed to be motivating?

they didn't release a statement. Sal asked someone in the org if the decision had been made yet, and the source said it hadn't. Same as 30 other teams, since only one has been announced (Aaron Donald).