Source: Bills Still Deciding on Watkins' 5th Year Option

5th Year Option on Sammy  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

Is Sammy about to become the new whipping boy to the nuckle draggers?

Geesh

you spelled knuckle incorrectly

:nana:

Statements like this tell me that some folks still don't know how to evaluate performance.

Example: did you know that Sammy Watkins lead the entire NFL in yards/target for the cumulative seasons of 2014 and 2015?

He's outpacing the league on a per-target basis. His only issue has been availability, and even then, he's missed the same number of games through 3 seasons as Julio Jones did (and Demaryius Thomas and Antonio Brown as well).

homer

:ph34r:

Cap figure could be a reason. I'd rather get Watkins inked to a 6 year deal prior to the end of his deal than pay him $13M base one year THEN have to spread another deal out over six years. The franchise tag is not THAT much higher than $13M.

good points. thanks. Because i was going to vote no brainer to pick it up.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the ultimate no brainer. They can't possibly be this stupid.

As an aside, the Bills must be thinking WR no later than 44.

because of two features for me.

One? This pick is going to start on looking at the current team roster. So plus one right away for that. He will have to be good enough to be getting regular game time attention.

deuce?

Thinking at 44 or before a potential #1 might also be the same guy. Keep forward thinking. No reason not to push for a Pass Catcher better than Robert Wood this draft.

I don't see any way Whaley doesn't back up the Brinks truck on this one

....he's already on the hot seat for giving up the farm (COUGH) and NOT forecasting that Sammy would get dinged......betcha some prefer the Brinks truck runs DW over instead....

Statements like this tell me that some folks still don't know how to evaluate performance.

Example: did you know that Sammy Watkins lead the entire NFL in yards/target for the cumulative seasons of 2014 and 2015?

He's outpacing the league on a per-target basis. His only issue has been availability, and even then, he's missed the same number of games through 3 seasons as Julio Jones did (and Demaryius Thomas and Antonio Brown as well).

Interesting, but doesn't necessarily extrapolate with increased targets to place him in that echelon. I think the $:production isn't the slam dunk many profess it to be.

And despite what they have already spent on him which is a sunk cost anyway. No one else in the NFL would give Sammy 13.5 mil based on his achievements to date, imo

He will enter the Hall of Fame as a Patriot

its just how it goes. Trade him now and get the inevitable knife to the heart over with. Hell they are stealing TD Mike !!

....he's already on the hot seat for giving up the farm (COUGH) and NOT forecasting that Sammy would get dinged......betcha some prefer the Brinks truck runs DW over instead....

As Sammy goes so shall Whales perhaps?

Or Vice versa?

Interesting, but doesn't necessarily extrapolate with increased targets to place him in that echelon. I think the $:production isn't the slam dunk many profess it to be.

And despite what they have already spent on him which is a sunk cost anyway. No one else in the NFL would give Sammy 13.5 mil based on his achievements to date, imo

I would bet anything that if he became a UFA he'd get $13.5M a year.

I do feel this is the barometer we should consider seriously.

What would a team trade for him right now ?

Ah, here we go again with putting Sammy up on the pedestal again.

He's certainly not a top 10 guy, and I don't think he's even top 15.

Don't give me this "yards per target" garbage, or average out his non injury production across 16 games and act like that's worth anything.

He just hasn't produced like a top tier receiver.

Anyway, I'd pick up the option. Avoid a situation where you have to franchise him next year. If he continues to struggle, let him go in 2019. He's shown flashes and I think this year could be excellent for him.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

I would bet anything that if he became a UFA he'd get $13.5M a year.

I'll bite. You feel with his track record to date and say another year right on his averages for the first three, hed get top 5 WR money... all based on potential? And a good GM would be the one accepting that cap hit for that body of work? Or is there some angle I'm missing...

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

I'll bite. You feel with his track record to date and say another year right on his averages for the first three, he get top 5 WR money... all based on potential? And a good GM would be the one accepting that cap hit for that body of work? Or is there some angle I'm missing...

What you are missing is Sammy's performance in games he's played. E-L-I-T-E. Only dumb teams get rid of elite talent.

Sammy is an elite WR. But, let's be real, who here thinks he'll be healthy enough to play the full 2017 season? Better yet, who here thinks he'll play more than 10 games? I don't.

I do. Why wouldn't he be? Julio Jones did okay after his two surgeries.

its just how it goes. Trade him now and get the inevitable knife to the heart over with. Hell they are stealing TD Mike !!

As Sammy goes so shall Whales perhaps?

Or Vice versa?

....depends on the length of the "straw draw" I guess...stay tuned......it will definitely be a "popcorn ready" marathon thread..........

I wonder if Falcon fans do this much whining about Julio Jones (same injury) or Cowboy fans about Dez Bryant (same injury)

Before Dez's injury, he averaged 1,215 yards and 12 TDs per year in his second through fifth seasons. That's elite production.

I would argue that after Julio's first 2 years, he wasn't elite, but he was certainly close. After he healed up, he cemented his place as one of the best in the game.

Sammy wasn't elite after his first two years, and isn't today.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

I'll bite. You feel with his track record to date and say another year right on his averages for the first three, he get top 5 WR money... all based on potential? And a good GM would be the one accepting that cap hit for that body of work? Or is there some angle I'm missing...

He was thought of as the top WR prospect in a multi year span. He has been dynamic when healthy (highest yards per target). He has the respect of coaches and personnel people all over the league. He is a no doubt number 1 that is young and played in a run first system. Teams will be falling over themselves to add a guy, that if targeted, is one of the best receivers in football. He is a nightmare for them. It is the type of investment that a contending team would jump at.