Prospect Watch: Jalen Reeves-Maybin, OLB, Tennessee

Estro

The Buffalo Bills need a fast, athletic OLB. Jalen Reeves-Maybin is both of those things. He's quick to diagnose and fire towards the ball and our defense has a need for a player with his skill set. He's also a very good special teams player, where his tackling and speed are on full display.

If it weren't for injury concerns, I think JRB would be a late 2nd - 3rd round prospect, but the injury concerns are serious: He's an undersized LB at 6'0", 230 lbs. and he's already had 3 shoulder surgeries, his last to repair a torn labrum in October 2016. The Panthers, with McDermott as their DC, did happen to draft Shaq Thompson in the 1st Round a couple of years back. Shaq Thompson is 6'0", 228 lbs, almost the identical size of JRB. Both have similar skill sets, a skill set you would think Mcdermott covets as evidenced by the 1st round selection of Thompson. If Reeves-Maybin, and it's a big if, can get that shoulder healthy, he could be a steal in the 5th round range and I think there's a legit chance he'll be available at that point.

Any SEC or Tennessee fans care to chme in? I'm pretty impressed with this guys skill set, & think he could be a real nice find later in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jalen-reeves-maybin?id=2557924

Edited by Estro

Imagine if the Bills draft Mike Williams and Maybin.

That would be amazing.

Hilarious... yet disgusting at the same time..i think I could digest the Mike Williams drafting much, much easier than seeing the name Maybin on a Bills uni again. 👍🤢

Watched his game versus VT. Looked above average on coverage, pass rush, and diagnosing plays. Looked below average on tackling and taking on blocks. If he bulks up he could probably improve the lacking parts of his game. I would be interested to see what bandit or bloke have to say. I would think hes worth a day 3 pick for sure.

Can he cover? You can have all the speed and agility in the world, but if you can't cover it doesn't mean much.

His coverage looked pretty good to me. He didn't give up many receptions in his zone and forced a look off at least once because of his coverage. My biggest issue was him diving at tackles. But I only watched one game. Bloke and bandit would probably have done more work.