McDermott emerging as favorite in coaching search...

Big Turk

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In much the same way that I have thought about the rumors of Lynn being the "favorite" all along, I have to wonder if the rumors of McDermott are true then why hasn't the team sealed the deal and announced him as the new HC?

There is nothing preventing them from doing so -- and if they are that high on the respective candidate, they can offer the $ and control to close the deal rather than risk losing the coach to another franchise. We are already hearing, for example, that the Chargers' interest in Lynn appears to be real.

The absence of a hiring to now still makes me wonder if the ultimate apple of their eye is really a coach whose team is still playing -- be it Richard, Patricia or Toub.

I'm really hoping it's Kris Richard if for nothing more than to bring that Seattle defensive scheme to Buffalo. That 4-3 scheme they run is innovative and not outdated like Ryan's scheme in attempting to relive what he did six years ago.

The Bills need to settle on one defensive scheme and stick to it so they aren't spinning the wheels on defensive draft picks every few years. In the 80's the Bills ran the same 3-4 scheme from 1979 to 2000.

Would O'Brien really be a Bills' target?

We know the Pegulas are huge Penn State benefactors etc. I wonder what the Pegulas thought of O'Brien leaving Penn State.

If you rewind the wayback machine, recall that Pegula threw in a pretty big penny to subsidize O'Brien's salary at PSU, only to see Bill walk out one year later. I'm sure that sat well with Kim & Terry.

PS - Love gotta this quote

"I'm not a one-and-done guy," said O'Brien. "I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and that's what I am going to do."

"I'm a man of my word. I am what I am. Maybe I get fired in six years. But I'm not gonna cut and run after one year, that's for sure."

Edited by GG

Am I mistaken, but wasn't McDermott let go by the Eagles? If so, does anyone know why?

He was. It was a bit before I came out here, but it was the year before Reid got fired. The Eagles then went from 10-6 to 4-12 the next year and Reid was fired.

From what I hear about how it went down Reid said McDermott would be back and then fired him 5 days later. To me it sounds like a classic "fall on your sword for the HC" situations.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

If you rewind the wayback machine, recall that Pegula threw in a pretty big penny to subsidize O'Brien's salary at PSU, only to see Bill walk out one year later. I'm sure that sat well with Kim & Terry.

"I'm not a one-and-done guy," said O'Brien. "I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and that's what I am going to do."

"I'm a man of my word. I am what I am. Maybe I get fired in six years. But I'm not gonna cut and run after one year, that's for sure."

Marrone 2.0, that guy

and he is Marrone's best friend which adds even more context to how much money the Pegulas have paid to both quitters

I'm really hoping it's Kris Richard if for nothing more than to bring that Seattle defensive scheme to Buffalo. That 4-3 scheme they run is innovative and not outdated like Ryan's scheme in attempting to relive what he did six years ago.

The Bills need to settle on one defensive scheme and stick to it so they aren't spinning the wheels on defensive draft picks every few years. In the 80's the Bills ran the same 3-4 scheme from 1979 to 2000.

Plus those guys can tackle.

Am I mistaken, but wasn't McDermott let go by the Eagles? If so, does anyone know why?

He was fired by the Eagles in 2010 and he had taken over that position of DC after Jim Johnson had health issues.

2009 Eagles Points allowed 19th, Yards allowed 12th, passing yards allowed 17th. #4 in sacks

2010 Eagles Points allowed 21st, yards allowed 12th, passing yards allowed 14th.#10 in sacks

2011 Carolina Points allowed 27th, yards allowed 28th, passing yards allowed 24th. 25th in sacks.

2012 Carolina Points allowed 18th, yards allowed 10th, passing yards allowed 13th.#10 in sacks

2013 Carolina Points allowed 2nd, Yards allowed, 2nd, passing yards allowed 6th #1 in sacks

2014 Carolina Points allowed 21st, yards allowed 10th, passing yards allowed 11th. #15 in sacks

2015 Carolina Points allowed 6th, yards allowed 6th, passing yards allowed 11th. #6 in sacks

2016 Carolina Points allowed 26th, yards allowed 21st, passing yards allowed 29th. #2 in sacks!

This looks like the defense under McDermott is more player dependant then scheme dependent and let's not forget that HC Ron Rivera also has a defensive background. Like the 2016 Buffalo Bills proved in that sacks don't mean much if the team isn't doing its job in the defensive secondary. Playing man coverage a lot and safeties cheating up to help with the run?

eagles-defensive-coordinator-sean-mcderm

I dunno, perhaps the guy knocked the owner's socks off with his interview and just maybe he has enough talent in him to build a team that can compete with the Patriots. Who knows! The guy has to be better than the loud mouth bull chitter in Wrex Ryan.

I dunno, perhaps the guy knocked the owner's socks off with his interview and just maybe he has enough talent in him to build a team that can compete with the Patriots. Who knows! The guy has to be better than the loud mouth bull chitter in Wrex Ryan.

So did Wrex.

i was looking at that. His 2011 team gave up a team record passing TDs that year despite philly going 10-6. Reid fired him and named Castillo and they got worse before they got better Edited by BaaadThingsMan

My mistake. McDermott may have great qualities but not the winning background (eagles and Panthers). I would like to see candidates from teams such as Green Bay Seattle or eventhe hated Patriots. Winners win and losers lose.

And cheaters gonna cheat (see McDaniels term in Denver).

O'Brien would need to be fired first.

O'Brien is Doug Marrone 2.0. He has badly underperformed on offense with great defense, failing repeatedly with QB decisions. Not that he builds the roster, but he decides who will play and certainly has input. Their personalities are virtually identical. No thanks.

In much the same way that I have thought about the rumors of Lynn being the "favorite" all along, I have to wonder if the rumors of McDermott are true then why hasn't the team sealed the deal and announced him as the new HC?

Yesterday JW implied that the Pegulas have a candidate they like while Whaley hasn't settled on a choice yet, and that there's a debate taking place. I'm wondering if McDermott is the Pegulas' guy as has been reported while Whaley may want to talk to Steelers DC Keith Butler. Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

There is nothing preventing them from doing so -- and if they are that high on the respective candidate, they can offer the $ and control to close the deal rather than risk losing the coach to another franchise. We are already hearing, for example, that the Chargers' interest in Lynn appears to be real.

The absence of a hiring to now still makes me wonder if the ultimate apple of their eye is really a coach whose team is still playing -- be it Richard, Patricia or Toub.

Richard or Toub are my top 2 guys.

Yesterday JW implied that the Pegulas have a candidate they like while Whaley hasn't settled on a choice yet, and that there's a debate taking place. I'm wondering if McDermott is the Pegulas' guy as has been reported while Whaley may want to talk to Steelers DC Keith Butler.

I'd take Butler over McDermott. Basically, I'll take Whaley's opinion over Pegs at this point. Pegs is awesome, don't get me wrong, but Whaley knows more about the NFL, coaches, etc. Butler would be my 3rd or 4th choice.

This is a good observation. Seattle's D performs at a very high level year after year.

But Carroll is the architect and engineer who designed and built that D. Richard must understand it well enough to be the DC (in name, at least). But can he recreate it?

Furthermore, defense is only part of the battle. Will Richard hire a good OC and ST Coordinator? Does he know how to lead a staff of coaches? Can he organize an effective off season program? Can he prepare a team for a game? I imagine he's learned a lot working for Pete. But observing and doing are two separate things.

I have no idea if he's a better candidate than the others. In truth, without lots and lots of due diligence (interviews, talking to lots of players and coaches who know our candidates, examining their stats versus their rosters, etc), I can't possibly know - I just don't have the resources. I have to hope that Whaley's due diligence is effective in uncovering the information that will lead to an informed/good decision.

Richard or Toub are my top 2 guys.

I'd take Butler over McDermott. Basically, I'll take Whaley's opinion over Pegs at this point. Pegs is awesome, don't get me wrong, but Whaley knows more about the NFL, coaches, etc. Butler would be my 3rd or 4th choice.

My interest is pretty much the same as yours, and I'd insert Todd Haley 4th after Butler. Curious if he has grown up since KC. None of the candidates excite me all that much from the outside but they're all worth a shot in different ways. I hope we focus on getting the best Head Coach rather than thinking about fixing a particular side of the ball, or scheme fits, etc. Look at the big picture and get the guy who can build a football program from the ground up and understands how to win in today's league.

As a know-nothing observer I do get the impression the Rex hire came from ownership. If they don't trust Whaley to hire his top choice this time then he shouldn't be heading the football operation.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

My interest is pretty much the same as yours, and I'd insert Todd Haley 4th after Butler. Curious if he has grown up since KC. None of the candidates excite me all that much from the outside but they're all worth a shot in different ways. I hope we focus on getting the best Head Coach rather than thinking about fixing a particular side of the ball, or scheme fits, etc. Look at the big picture and get the guy who can build a football program from the ground up and understands how to win in today's league.

As a know-nothing observer I do get the impression the Rex hire came from ownership. If they don't trust Whaley to hire his top choice this time then he shouldn't be heading the football operation.

What do you mean if haley has grown up since kc?? Im curious because i know some stories about him when he was with dallas.

What do you mean if haley has grown up since kc?? Im curious because i know some stories about him when he was with dallas.

I had this post from Hapless Bills Fan in another thread buzzing in my head. Also I remember him in a shouting match with Larry Fitzgerald back in AZ, he seems like he marches to his own drum. Which if harnessed with discipline can be a good thing, I think. I am not as high on him as HBF.

Haley is an interesting candidate. Like McDaniels, he was kind of a mess as HC although he had some success - inherited a bad team, turned it around to winning and playoffs his second season. His best year featured Charlie Weis as OC and Meh Cassel in a stout run-first O, #1 run game, #30 pass game, and a middle-of-the-pack D. Hmmm, sound familiar? His next year fell off, with Cassel and his backup both throwing more picks and the run game not as good. He was reportedly a bit of a "prima donna", doing stuff like firing Gailey as OC just before the start of his first season there.

Like McDaniels, if Haley has grown and reflected on "what went wrong" in KC as McDaniels would hopefully have reflected on Denver and St Louis, Haley could be a good HC in his 2nd shot. The Steelers had some fall-off his first two seasons but they're cooking along right now.

If Haley hasn't done that reflection and it's all on everyone else, he could be a disaster. He's spent time around 2 winning organizations (Cardinals in 2007 and 2008) as well as some success with a mediocre QB in his HC gig. I think Whaley's mental model for how a franchise should work is based in Pittsburgh, so since Haley has spent 5 years there they might be a good match to work smoothly together, provided Haley doesn't go all inflated-ego when he gets a 2nd HC shot.

Unlike McDaniels working with Belichick where the offense was arguably great before he took over, great after he left, and great when he came back, I don't think there's any question that Haley is the real brains behind the Pittsburgh offense. Big Ben is a very good QB, but he's not Brady and the Steelers arguably have a stronger offense now than under Arians. Haley should have the experience and contacts in the league to bring in a good DC.

I would actually be very positive about bringing in Haley.

I'd be good with that.

Interesting - an article from Carolina suggesting they replace McDermott with Bradley as DC (naturally because "Fans are looking for a shakeup" - they must have already forgotten about that 15 - 1 season a year ago!)

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/19/could-panthers-target-gus-bradley-for-a-defensive-position/

If Lynn doesn't get the HC job, I have to think he is gone. Can't see him staying as an OC.

Agree - don't see him staying as OC. I'd still like to see Lynn get promoted to HC. I think he'd do a great job.

Also, just because promoting HC from within the ranks didn't necessarily work out so well last time is no indication of how it will work out next time. I really want to see Lynn get the opportunity. I think he had a decent season. Also, and for really no good reason, I really like HCs that have more offensive backgrounds.

Edited by ChasBB