McDermott emerging as favorite in coaching search...

Big Turk

At least according to this article...

"Having interviewed with the Bills last week, it was recently revealed that the interview went extremely well with one commentator even calling the meeting a “strong one” for both sides."

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sean-mcdermott-leading-pack-buffalo-172133314.html

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh... out of the current weak crop of choices, mcdermott seems like the best

I think Richard is going to be a great one...I see Mike Tomlin 2.0 in him...his mannerisms, excitement, passion, how he talks to players, how they respond, their respcet for him, the fact he can get in Richard Sherman's face and have him and the team respect him for it......very Mike Tomlinesque, right down to the fact he only was a coordinator for a year...

Edited by matter2003

I think Richard is going to be a great one...I see Mike Tomlin 2.0 in him...his mannerisms, excitement, passion, how he talks to players, how they respond, their respcet for him, the fact he can get in Richard Sherman's face and have him and the team respect him for it......very Mike Tomlinesque, right down to the fact he only was a coordinator for a year...

Agreed...I actually get a little excited when I think about Richard...It's definitely a gamble...But he'll bring the enthusiasm...That's for sure... B-)

For some reason people seem to think that if you aren't top 5 in your supposed side of the football you would make a lousey HC. I just don't think that is correct line of thinking. You need to be good sure but what is a measuring stick for a good HC?

For some reason people seem to think that if you aren't top 5 in your supposed side of the football you would make a lousey HC. I just don't think that is correct line of thinking. You need to be good sure but what is a measuring stick for a good HC?

Nobody wants an NFL Head coach covered in lice. It would be quite unseemly not to mention embarrassing.

He's under contract. I suppose he could walk away but that's not a good look. I know guys like Schwartz are allowed to walk (when Rex was hired) but that was a defensive guy taking over.

When a new HC takes over, the staff is usually free to pursue other options. If it's McDermott he may want continuity on that side of the ball. The Offense was pretty good. Lynn may not have a lot of other options if he doesn't get a HC job

When a new HC takes over, the staff is usually free to pursue other options. If it's McDermott he may want continuity on that side of the ball. The Offense was pretty good. Lynn may not have a lot of other options if he doesn't get a HC job

Oh I know that. But with him being the front runner for the job here, or close to it, you know the franchise likes him. It's not going to be another offensive minded guy if not Lynn. Unless Richard or McDermott have some rabbit under their hat, it would be dumb to start over.

Oh I know that. But with him being the front runner for the job here, or close to it, you know the franchise likes him. It's not going to be another offensive minded guy if not Lynn. Unless Richard or McDermott have some rabbit under their hat, it would be dumb to start over.

I'm looking at this whole thing as starting over . Rex was a mistake as his defense wasn't suited to the personnel here. Lynn would just be a bridge to a reset two years from now. May as well do it now than half step

I'm looking at this whole thing as starting over . Rex was a mistake as his defense wasn't suited to the personnel here. Lynn would just be a bridge to a reset two years from now. May as well do it now than half step

Why would Lynn be a bridge to a reset? I'd like to see this offense with a healthy Sammy and an improved defense in 2017, and I see playoffs. Just have to beat the Jets/Dolphins at least once each, and one other team that we didn't this year.

he's under contract...sooo...

I could be wrong, but i suspect that no NFL team would force a guy to stay as a position coach with a new regime. And it seems rare for a guy to be passed over but agree to stay on a new staff. I can't recall that happening before. Lynn will probably have options to be an OC elsewhere.

McDermott would bring Mike McCoy as OC if rumors are true (and if Vance Joseph doesn't grab him first). He has a good reputation for getting a lot out of QBs (Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow).

I'm not saying I'm for or against him. You can't really get an feel for someone's potential until you speak with him. As fas as I know, no one here has done that.

By the way, Mike McCarthy was OC of the last ranked offense in the NFL right before becoming head coach of the Packers. Just saying. Ranking doesn't mean everything because these guys aren't interviewing for a coordinator position.

Edited by somnus00

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

McDermott definitely does not look like or demeamor of a HC imo, seems like a solid DC that would be a very average HC.

He doesn't look like a head coach? What does a head coach look like?

McDermott was PFF 2nd runner up for DC of the year in 2015 behind Wade Phillips and Matt Patricia. They haven't released 2016 grades yet. I don't see McDermott being mentioned anywhere in that conversation after last years train wreck.

Sure Carolina lost half their secondary, but their key players up front ( Ealy, Smart, Kuechly) all regressed. Was it McDermott? Was it a team that got comfortable? Is that the coaches fault? Not close enough to Carolina to know.

For the record, Harold Goodwin finished 1st runner up for OC

At this point it's a completely different mindset than 2 years ago. When they hired Ryan the feeling (from Pegula) was a veteran coach needed to be the voice.

This year it's a a crap shoot. Some of the best coordinators can't head coach themselves out of a paper bag. While others shine. And of course this coach will be tied to the hip with Whaley, who if he hits gold will secure a long time position as Buffalos GM.

If he hits snake eyes though, he'll be unemployed.

Edited by dezertbill

Why would Lynn be a bridge to a reset? I'd like to see this offense with a healthy Sammy and an improved defense in 2017, and I see playoffs. Just have to beat the Jets/Dolphins at least once each, and one other team that we didn't this year.

Lynn as HC means that T Pegs is expecting results quickly with a retooling on-the-fly. It puts Whaleys a$$ close to the hot seat and one step closer to the door. Then you are looking for another HC when you hire a new GM. Just pushing it off for a year or two. So may as well just do it now. I hoped T-Pegs would learn from his errors with the Sabres but it seems he's doing the same with theBills: waiting too long to clean house. He probably should have canned Whaley along with Ryan, but half stepped on that too.

Lynn as HC means that T Pegs is expecting results quickly with a retooling on-the-fly. It puts Whaleys a$$ close to the hot seat and one step closer to the door. Then you are looking for another HC when you hire a new GM. Just pushing it off for a year or two. So may as well just do it now. I hoped T-Pegs would learn from his errors with the Sabres but it seems he's doing the same with theBills: waiting too long to clean house. He probably should have canned Whaley along with Ryan, but half stepped on that too.

should have canned em all when bought the team.

I honestly have no opinion on McDermott or the other candidates as to how they will transition from coordinator to HC is anybody's guess.

If you look at McDermott's record with the Panthers his defenses are sometimes really good and in the case of this year really, really bad! His secondary was 29th in passing yards allowed, YIKES!

The Panthers were 26th in points allowed and 21st in yards allowed. I know I'd rather see some better consistency in stats over the last few years than being in the top ten worst.

It's all about coaching in that if you don't have a decent backup player on the roster or at least have a plan to replace a player you let walk then you shouldn't let them walk. The team let all-pro CB Josh Norman leave and then go on to draft CB's @ #2, #3, #5 and none of those players adapted. This despite the Panthers having the #2 team in the NFL in sacks and #4 in sack percentage, #3 in defensive hurries which means those DB's usually weren't left hanging out to dry.

This team faces the New England Patriots every year and can't afford to gamble on a maybe head coach. They did that last year in thinking Rex Ryan will have his defense back to the 2009, 2010 form and it never even got close to being that good. You need an elite coach to beat an elite coach and 29th in passing yards allowed, really?

McDermott definitely does not look like or demeamor of a HC imo, seems like a solid DC that would be a very average HC.

Sorry, after last years stink I wouldn't hire the guy to be DC, much less the HC. If the owners want the team to tank to get a franchise QB then this guy might be the man to hire.

Does RIchard have a franchise QB. Tomlin's success is due to coming in with a Super-bowl winning Franchise QB and a defense run by LeBeau.

There is certainly an advantage to taking a coach who is working in a winning program. They usually have played a role in the winning record. They have had the guidance of a quality head coach. They are steeped in a winning culture . McDermott has that pedigree. Lynn has OC experience as a Bills coach and has spent years in a Rex Ryan culture.

My mistake. McDermott may have great qualities but not the winning background (eagles and Panthers). I would like to see candidates from teams such as Green Bay Seattle or even the hated Patriots. Winners win and losers lose.

If winners win and losers lose, then please explain the following:

Mike Tomlin went to Pittsburgh after 5 years with Tampa Bay and one with Minnesota.

Bill Belichick coached the BROWNS before the Patriots.

Pete Carroll was a mediocre head coach in the NFL before going back to USC.

Gus Bradley came from the "winning" Seahawks team and won 14 games in 4 years in Jacksonville.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. Coaches either have it or they don't, it has NOTHING to do with who they worked with prior to their promotion to head coach

Edited by JM57

If Lynn doesn't get the HC job, I have to think he is gone. Can't see him staying as an OC.

The guy was a running backs coach 4 months ago and has yet to install and a run a pro offense for a single season. He's way too green for HC and personally I don't think he'll ever be one.

If he was a white guy he gets zero interviews for HC elsewhere.