The fix is in-- Lynn will be the new head coach

jahnyc

What is so hard to grasp about having a GM who has been around a few years is definitely involved in picking the HC. Maybe in name he wasn't "leading the search" like it has been declared now. But he sure as !@#$ had input in the decision to hire the HC of the team he is the GM of. Either Whaley was greatly involved or the owners were incompetent, you make the call. Whaley apologists are a loyal bunch, I'll give you that.

i vote for incompetent...

If any potential coach looks at the bills job and finds it unattractive because they fired Rex after less then 2 years, I wouldn't want them anyway. If they are too Dumb to see that Rex was let go because of how the team continued to get worse u see his time here and how poorly coached they were, then that guy will fail too because they aren't that bright. They guy took over a top 5 defence and dismantled it making it one of the worst, made horrible in game decisions and had a badly disciplined team. You can try and use injuries as an excuse, but even when the injured players were healthy the team was still a mess.

Players wise, there's alot of talent already here to work with and options at qb, they won't be tied down to anyone except probably keeping CJ on the roster and have the option. Of drafting someone they like in the draft this year. In LA your tied to Goff for atleast 2 seasons I would think. They have made their qb Moran's now have to play it out, so as a coach you better be happy with him.

I'm not hating the choice of Lynn as the next head coach but I'm more concerned about the selection process than I am about who ends up as the next coach of the Bills. It might be because I'm living in Jets-land and I had more exposure to Rex and his antics, but all the problems you highlight with Rex with the Bills were foreseeable based on his body of work with the Jets. We layed 80 points on the defensive genius in 2 games on his Jets defense the prior season so how much more obvious can it be that his self-proclaimed defensive genius status might be false bravado? I'd speculate that after Rex was hired the majority of the board expected we'd be sitting here in coach-search mode either 2 or 3 years later and 2 years later here we are. It's simply amazing the people sitting in on the decision process can't see the obvious.

Apparently regardless of all the evidence to question all his bluster, Rex wowed and bamboozled the Pegula's, Brandon, and Whaley. So unless this is a case of learning from mistakes can we really trust the same process and the same people to make a better decision?

Thanks. Interesting, in Marrone's two years, the team did not average more than 20 ppg.

They also didnt have the talent this offense has either did they

What is so hard to grasp about having a GM who has been around a few years is definitely involved in picking the HC. Maybe in name he wasn't "leading the search" like it has been declared now. But he sure as !@#$ had input in the decision to hire the HC of the team he is the GM of. Either Whaley was greatly involved or the owners were incompetent, you make the call. Whaley apologists are a loyal bunch, I'll give you that.

Because it was reported many times over by the sAme people in the Media that are now paintijg him as the root of all evil.

What narrative is that that i am pushing. To use the accurate stat to make a point. Wow Tar and Feather me.

Your narrative that Lynn isn't a credible candidate by taking away the D/ST scores but failing to do so for other teams. Then critique the guy for using an "inaccurate" stat all the while using an inaccurate stat.

Your narrative that Lynn isn't a credible candidate by taking away the D/ST scores but failing to do so for other teams. Then critique the guy for using an "inaccurate" stat all the while using an inaccurate stat.

Ummm i have said a couple times now i would take in IF an actual interview process played out.

Not my first choice but there are worse out there. So again what Narrative

It's not being Whaley apologists, I just don't live under a rock. There was a lot of speculation when Rex was hired, that Whaley preferred Hugh Jackson and Shwartz would have stayed on. Kim and Russ were in love with Rex. Go with owners were incompetent at that time. Again, this isn't too hard.

The theory would be something like this: Brandon and Whaley, assuming they are acting in a coordinated manner, want Lynn because other head coach candidates would want more power over personnel matters, which would erode the current powers shared by Brandon and Whaley. Lynn would be accepting of the current structure and would not challenge the roles of Brandon and Whaley.

It's not being Whaley apologists, I just don't live under a rock. There was a lot of speculation when Rex was hired, that Whaley preferred Hugh Jackson and Shwartz would have stayed on. Kim and Russ were in love with Rex. Go with owners were incompetent at that time. Again, this isn't too hard.

Russ being in love with Rex makes sense for the marketing value. Ahhhh well, water under the bridge now I suppose. Here's to hoping they get their collective heads out of their asses this time around.

So, will Rex be a talking head for one of the networks by time the playoffs come around?

Edited by CodeMonkey

Continuity means a lot to the Pegula’s, which for the Bills makes a lot of sense. They bought into “Snake Oil Rex” and will not want to make the same mistake again. They trust and like Whaley, he is not going anywhere. I am totally fine with Anthony Lynn taking the helm, assuming he is willing to bring in a strong coordinator to run the D. Todd Bowles, will probably be canned. He could be a great DC. In my opinion, a smart head coach, especially a rookie HC, brings in coordinators who have had HC experience. Someone who understands the pressure points and delegation requirements.

Additionally, Lynn cannot be credited with the points from the first two weeks.

The theory would be something like this: Brandon and Whaley, assuming they are acting in a coordinated manner, want Lynn because other head coach candidates would want more power over personnel matters, which would erode the current powers shared by Brandon and Whaley. Lynn would be accepting of the current structure and would not challenge the roles of Brandon and Whaley.

Yep. Spot on. On top of this, I'm sure that the league would highly "encourage" the hire for diversity publicity. Buffalo doesn't need a big name coach to draw fans unless they stop selling beer at games. The rubes will show up no matter what the results are and no matter who they hire, so you might as well hire the guy that's in-house, buys the moron president/GM a couple more years, and probably gets a couple mill under the table from the league into the pockets of the Pegulas.

The funny thing is that if the Doug Whaley "chooses" Anthony Lynn he will have to thank Rex given that Rex already chose him for the organization.

P.S. I do not believe the revisionist history about Whaley not wanting Rex two years ago. All we heard was about how aligned their football philosophies were. I wonder if Doug was afraid that

Like between any GM & Coach, there are going to be agreements & disagreements. You can't really expect them to talk publicly about their disagreements or throw some of the players under the bus. Hence, we hear how aligned their philosophies are.

To be clear, the Bills Front Office would claim continuity.

I am making a prediction. We will see if I am correct. Again, I think Doug Whaley (and sadly the Pegulas) have made the job unattractive to anyone who may be in demand for the reasons Bedard mentioned. Unless they overpay or make some promises etc, I just do not see where a top tier candidate chooses this job over others. Why would someone come here if the Bills do not have a QB and fired the prior guy after less than two years with so many injuries etc.

Just my two cents. I hope I am wrong.

Why would someone come here ?? I can think of 12-15 million good reasons.

Yes. A GM who is being given one more chance to prove himself will hire a career RB coach who was promoted to OC 15 weeks ago.

That makes a shcit ton of sense.

One rumor I heard was that it was the Pegulas who leaked it so Tom Coughlin wouldn't rush into the Jax job.

I've also heard that Coughlin, McDaniels, Patricia, Payton and K. Shanahan are in the running with Lynn.

I can totally see how Lynn would beat those other guys out. (not really; it'll never happen)

It says you edited this. Was it even more stupid before??

That's a little off-color, don't you think?

Payton ??????? Is he available ?

Maybe but nothing tells me its the best choice either

Much better options out there

Agreed. Folks around here are up for grabs we only gave our HC two years before firing him, but, don't want to do an extensive search for a HC. Seems utterly ridiculous!! The right coach is imperative and folks around here think it is from Rex's coaching tree, someone who retired 10 years ago and/or the game passed them by.

The right HC is probably someone most of us have not heard of....

With Lynn as HC you bring in a D.C. Like Pettine or Bradley and there will be optimism amongst fans.

Personally I see someone like Pettine getting the job. Lynn and Pettine both worked for the Jets from 2009-12 amd are familiar with each other. With the success Pettine had in Buffalo bringing him back would create an instant boost in the fan base with two known commodities.

Lynn did a great job running the offense and I'm not against Giving him the position as long as he brings in a DC like Pettine or Bradley that is a known commodity.

Great idea.... not one of Rex's coaches, but, two!

And, one that has been here and was mediocre. The Bills fans have gone mad!!

i vote for incompetent...

Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm quite sure that Rex is good at interviewing for a HC job. He most likely says all the right things because that's his personality. It didn't work out, but that doesn't make anyone incompetent. It just means that he had all the right answers in the interview and they believed him, just as many of us did. Glad that they saw their mistake and are trying to correct it. I expect a dramatic improvement on D next season.

Lynn did an excellent job as OC especially if Tyrod really is as bad as half the people on this board say he is.

I liked how Lynn has come out and clearly separated himself from the decision to bench Tyrod, how he wasn't even in the meeting where it was decided. Makes one wonder if we can really expect to bring in anyone of the caliber of HC that this team needs.

Lets remember that this is a franchise that both Marrone and Mularkey walked away from. There's only 32 HC jobs and both of these guys felt they'd have better luck elsewhere. Not to mention Wade Phillips being made to bench Flutie and then being run off for not firing Ronnie Jones. The FO continues to be overly meddlesome despite the new ownership.

This knee jerk approach to everything is why we are in this position every year. Look at teams like Dallas who tweaked things rather than blowing things up every few years. Look at the Steelers who supported Tomlin and developed him. Then look back at us and it's really no surprise why we are where we are.

Not sure how the answer here can possibly be to turn to Whaley to head up the coaching search and then select someone already on the staff, but is seems it is going in this direction. Over the last number of weeks, Rex is blasted and Lynn gets glowing press. Someone leaks that Rex's demise is near, and that the talented roster is not playing up to its potential. Simultaneously, we only hear how Lynn will be a hot candidate for head coaching openings and after Ryan is fired, that Lynn is a strong contender. Something smells bad here. This feels very orchestrated.

I think Whaley knows that hiring Lynn is the best result for Whaley. Prevents questions about the GM, the organization or the talent from potential coaching candidates. I don't like it and it is depressing. After 17 years of not making the playoffs, we deserve a real process and the best possible candidate. We will see.

Vic Carucci agrees with you.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/28/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-dont-expect-thorough-search/

Why does everything have to be some big conspiracy around here?

Sports coverage has become soap operas for men. The next HC will be Whaley's evil twin brother. Or is Doug the evil one? Stay tuned and see!!!

Perfect! He has been wrong about everything so far.

Agreed. Folks around here are up for grabs we only gave our HC two years before firing him, but, don't want to do an extensive search for a HC. Seems utterly ridiculous!! The right coach is imperative and folks around here think it is from Rex's coaching tree, someone who retired 10 years ago and/or the game passed them by.

The right HC is probably someone most of us have not heard of....

Great idea.... not one of Rex's coaches, but, two!

And, one that has been here and was mediocre. The Bills fans have gone mad!!

Lynn came in the coaching ranks under Shanahan, Del Rio and Parcells. Rex came later.

Sports coverage has become soap operas for men. The next HC will be Whaley's evil twin brother. Or is Doug the evil one? Stay tuned and see!!!

Perfect! He has been wrong about everything so far.

😂😂😂 for real! Some of these reactions sound like my grandmother and her friends talking about their "stories" back in the day. People are getting way too strung out.

Maybe because Whaley is the GM.

And now finally gets to pick his coach after 4 years of being on job.

Wow what disfunction to have your GM hire a coach

And yet 3 names have already been reported to Be on Bills list.

Yeah fix is in

I'm admittedly a Whaley supporter.For those who want to be able to dump him, you get a chance after we see how HIS choices work out.

Is Lynn going to want this job after today? If I were him, I would be hoping that another team is interested.

I found it refreshing to lose a press conference for a change! I wish it had gone better, but there were things I loved. He admitted Tyrod had to learn to throw between the hash marks. He said off-season was the time to do that. No coach-speak about formations and what the defense allows. He was frank about our QB, and how he needs to improve. Refreshing....